Page: of 3

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2008 :  5:51:30 PM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
i adore vintage clothing. my *UM* christmas dress that i'm still working on, is cut from an 1950's pattern...so girly! if i'd just do the hand work on it you could all see it! the one thing about vintage is they all wore girdles and being a modern girl i wont touch one, so i have to watch those waist measurements.

btw...miss wilma...your neighbor sounds like one amazing woman, that took some guts!

What we write today slipped into our souls some other day when we were alone and doing nothing.
-Brenda Ueland

http://quilandneedle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

miss wilma
True Blue Farmgirl

3410 Posts

Wilma
Knob Lick Ky
USA
3410 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2008 :  6:09:36 PM  Show Profile
Corrine it worked though and I know its true because they both told it

Farm Girl #96

http://www.picturetrail.com/misswilmasplace

http://misswilma.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2008 :  9:33:28 PM  Show Profile
I grew up in the seventies four blocks away from both sets of Grandparents. My childhood was very similar to what we are discussing here.

The little town I live in now, WAS a lot like that when I moved here twelve years ago into my tiny post world war two cottage. I even had to get snotty with a teacher once, and tell her that not everyone's Mom stays home. Some of us work for a living.
However, since the SUV driving yuppies invaded, it isn't so idylic anymore. I still love here it here though. LOVE my neighbors. LOVE my goofy little house.

I loved the forties. The Chanel type suits, you dressed for dinner, etc. Even the cars were classy looking. Men always wore well made/tailored suits. Clark Gable, now there's a man's man.

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland
Go to Top of Page

miss wilma
True Blue Farmgirl

3410 Posts

Wilma
Knob Lick Ky
USA
3410 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2008 :  06:32:44 AM  Show Profile
Golly wasnt he something, Men are like women there are good and bad, I think us farm girls are the cream of the crop though

Farm Girl #96

http://www.picturetrail.com/misswilmasplace

http://misswilma.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

paradiseplantation
True Blue Farmgirl

1277 Posts

julie
social springs community Louisiana
USA
1277 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2008 :  07:03:50 AM  Show Profile
Heather, I am so with you! My neighbor and I were discussing how much the world needs to get back to a time when neighbors helped neighbors, and the women were busy in the kitchen creating a delicious pot luck lunch or dinner to feed the workers! We live in a community very similar to that, where the neighbors are always willing to help us and we are often find ourselves at a neighbor's helping them. Although the pot luck for the workers are still a thing of the past, I still try to fix a good lunch for those that are helping, and even though mostly it's sandwiches, I do make those with homemade bread, thick with meat, cheese and lettuce and tomatoes grown in my garden. I serve them with home-canned pickles, chips (storebought, alas) and a pitcher of sweet tea. For dessert they usually get cookies or brownies, made from scratch. Even though we do live in the 21st Century, there's nothing to stop us living by the morals and values of the 50's, nothing to stop us sitting on the porch in the evening, taking our lives a little slower, and enjoying our lives. And if we live by those morals, values and housekeeping skills, maybe someone else will see how happy it makes us, and what a great quality life we lead, and want to do it too. And if someone sees them living..... who knows? We might have a 1950's epidemic going on in the next few years! I do agree with Jeannie (I think it was her), we do have to give up some of the material things we've become so dependent on, but it wouldn 't be hard for us because we don't have them to start with! However, I do like my computer, and we live so far out I wouldn't have a t.v. if I didn't have Dish Network, and having a cell phone is a real convenience, since my mom and my aunt are well into their 80's, and I drive an hour to and from work through a very sparsely populated area. But it's how I'm living my life that I thinks really counts!

p.s. Miss Wilma? Why are you all covered up with feathers? That is, if you don't mind me asking!

from the hearts of paradise...
Go to Top of Page

JessieMae
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Jessie
Raleigh North Carolina
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2008 :  11:17:40 AM  Show Profile
I just read in Reminisce Extra magazine a little snippet about a retired schoolteacher who went back to substitute teaching and the kids couldn't read what she had written on the blackboard because she had written it in cursive. When I taught school a few years ago, I had the same issue - the kids couldn't read cursive. (They were 8th graders and couldn't do their multiplication tables without a calculator, either, but that's a different story....)
That's what I think the best part of the past is - people had expectations, responsibilites, and self-respect. I can't think of much wrong in the world today that those three things couldn't cure.
Go to Top of Page

MasterGardener
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

Chandra
Louisiana
USA
572 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2008 :  12:11:31 PM  Show Profile  Send MasterGardener a Yahoo! Message
Well said Jessie, I agree!

.• ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.•´ .•´¨¨))
((¸¸.•´ ..• -:¦:- -:¦:- Chandra
-:¦:- ((¸¸.•´Farmgirl Sister #64

She considereth a field, and buyeth it; with the fruit of her hands she planteth a vineyard.
Proverbs 31:16
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2008 :  2:01:23 PM  Show Profile
i believe there is much truth to what maryjane has added to the 50's .. we often 'wax nostalgic' .... 30 or 40 years after an era has passed .. especially when we lived through that era. i remember much gentleness and fun of the fifties .. i look back 'realistically' and realize there was also MUCH turmoil in those times too ..

ha! ain't much NEW under the sun .. no matter WHAT era .. we just have greater access to what is happening in the world today. there has ALWAYS been good times and bad times from the beginning of time and that will most likely continue until the END of time!

it is wonderful that we believe we had 'the best of times' .. it is equally wonderful when we can sit in NON-JUDGEMENT of others and their lives and choices .. from ANY era .. including TODAY!

JUST THINK ABOUT WHAT A WONDERFUL WORLD IT WOULD BE IF EVERYONE DID THIS .. ALL THE TIME! then ponder about how 'enemies and hatred and wars' usually come about .. hmmmmmmmmmmm ... JUDGING what others are or 'should be' might have a little to do with it!

even with the 'bad' that is evident today .. i see such love and joy and miracles in so much and so many people in this world .. (except the truly 'mean spirited' ones who do damage to others ... who hate and judge simply because of ignorance or jealousy or prejudice. and this too, is not NEW or OLD .. it just IS!!!)

IMAGINE .. if we do not judge anyone for how they choose to live or dress or speak or believe .. just because it is 'different' from the way we live, dress and speak or believe .. what a wonderful world it would be!

remember too ... there is YOUR truth .. and ... there is MY truth and ALL are equally valid! when we put ourselves (OUR lifestyles ... OUR choices ... OUR beliefs) up on a pedestal by unfairly judging others .. well, i believe we are really telling more about OURSELVES than we are telling about those we are judging from our very limited knowledge.

i love the olde proverb: WALK A MILE IN THEIR SHOES

think for a moment of all the cultures we have come into contact with .. and then think of all those that we have NOT! think about how our 'beliefs' (ABOUT ANY SUBJECT) are formed. o.k. .. who died and made us GOD?

O.K. GURLFRENZ .. i wish you were all here sittin' beside me, pulled up to my computer ... and sippin' outta' my glass of iced tea .. and NOOOOOO . .it is NOT spiked with anything except ICE!! ... and laffin' like i'm laffin' at how my ramblins (thoughts at this moment) are 'probably' going to come across to some .. and BELIEVE ME .. i mean every word i write with respect and love for everyone's OPINON .. but remember dear ones .. everything we say or write at any given time in our lives is 'simply' that ... OUR OPINION!!!

and as i wrote the other day .. if we are GENUNINELY HAPPY with who we are ... that is GENUINELY WONDERFUL!!! and if others are GENUINELY HAPPY with who they are .. that, too .. is GENUNINELY WONDERFUL!!! (and unless someone falls into that 'mean-spirited' category i 'writ' of above .. NEITHER IS RIGHT OR WRONG .. IT IS SIMPLY A CHOICE!!!

oh honies .. this sweet 50's thread probably wasn't meant to be 'so heavy' .. but like, maryjane .. i'm jus' jumpin' in with my thoughts and i adore hearing what everyone else has to say too. my promise to you is that i will NOT judge what any have written as their personal beliefs (although i may not AGREE with it) .. and i ask the same of my gurlfrenz (althout some may not agree with my beliefs). I only ask mutual respect and understanding from all of us. THAT .. i believe is what makes 'true friends' .. and ultimately as MISS AMERICA would dream: "peace on earth".

p.s. miz heather .. you said it beautifully with your post of the good of then and now:

the essence and fun of doing things like wearing aprons, curling my hair, growing my own vegetables, hanging my laundry and having a home similiar to something in the 1950's (I just like 1950's vintage). By no means would I want to be without my college education, ability to vote, my military service or my right to choose.

and the GREAT thing is .. we can have all those wonderful things of today .. AND .. come on over .. i have some of those metal rod curlers with the little rubber tips on 'em .. and we'll have a p.j. party and i'll curl your hair .. you can do my nails .. (and i MIGHT even let you pierce my ears with a needle and ice cube!!) .. we'll put on our aprons from our collection ... bake some cookies .. and if you wait until summertime .. we'll go dig in the garden with those aprons on .. and oh lordy! i have a big pile of laundry that needs washin' down in the 'creek' and hangin' on the line. i love that we can indeed incorporate all the lovingly remembered things from our childhood and youth and still do them today. oh gurlz .. isn't life grande .. i thank god every day for every moment .. for every friend. xo, frannie

p.s. sweet gurlfrenz ... THIS is my heartfelt wish for you:

http://www.blessyoumovie.com

True Friends * Frannie

HEAR MY STORIES
come, visit my:
"GATHERING ROOM" ..
http://freedomvalleyfarm.blogspot.com

adopt a 'rag-chile'
http://sistermercysfoundlinhome.blogspot.com

treasures .. new and olde .. up for adoption:
http://mudpiemanormercantile.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

CountryBorn
True Blue Farmgirl

1545 Posts

Mary Jane
New York
USA
1545 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2008 :  2:19:43 PM  Show Profile
Sweet Frannie, you have such wisdom and a true knack for knowing just how to express it. You know my Mom always taught me to live and let live. That everyone is entitled to live their own life and be happy their own way.She and my Grandma both said that wouldn't the world be a dull place if we were all the same. I have always truly believed in what they said and do my best not to judge anyone, I sure hate it when people try and tell me how I should live. I love the diversity that is part of this forum. Farmgirls are the most wonderful friends anyone could have. I sure wish we were a lot closer. I think we would really have a ball together. Actually I think anyone who was around you for 5 minutes would have a really hard time being anything but smiling and happy!

Mary Jane

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do. Freya Stark
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2008 :  2:22:43 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Oh Ms. Frannie!!! I will take you up on the offer!!! I used to be a hairstylist and was a favorite among the customers for my manicures...so this just might work out fine!!! That is beauty of this forum, I have never come here and been treated with hatred or just down right meaness as I have on other forums. That is so wonderful and refreshing!!!

Cheers,
Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2008 :  2:28:07 PM  Show Profile
I've been in a very nostalgic mood lately. Heather, in your first post, you were describing "farmgirl" to a T. Joni, I wear a great hat - it's a navy blue cloche kinda hat to which I have pinned a small nosegay of flowers that I got at a Paris flea market. It's simple but I get so many compliments on it. I buy fifties earrings at garage sales and wear them and I bought a great '40s swing blouse at a vintage store just a few weeks ago - all linen. I try to dress vintage, but it ain't easy since I don't think they had too many plus sized women back then!

I grew up in the 50s. I remember my mother wearing gloves to the doctor's office and we would go to the big department stores downtown for lunch. Those lunchrooms were unbelievable - fancy mirrors and wood everything and crystal and cloth napkins and silverware that matched and waitresses in cool uniforms...and the food was always fabulous. STuffI never got at home! (we are Italian) I'd get "Americana" food at the lunch rooms.

Jeannie, I am trying to get back to cursive. I always admired the nuns' handwriting in school. I still strive to go there but I have a long way to trudge.

I think the word we are striving for is "grace". There was a certain "grace" about women back then. Well, I'm a one woman crusade to get back some grace for us.

I'm really enjoying this thread. But...back to work.

love,
Patricia

Proud Farmgirl Sister #19
Rusty Chicks Chapter

check out my etsy site http://ThePlayfulFarmgirl.etsy.com

Today I choose faith not fear.
Go to Top of Page

bohemiangel
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Bridget
Ligonier pa
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2008 :  4:16:34 PM  Show Profile  Send bohemiangel an AOL message  Click to see bohemiangel's MSN Messenger address  Send bohemiangel a Yahoo! Message
It's funny because I was not around for anything earlier than the early 80s and yet I feel like I would've fit in better there. I always see/hear about the 50s and think the late 60s all heck broke lose and the good stuff was too rigid and thrown out the window. I want that. I really think it turned the wrong way. I do like the advancements we have but the living etc nope.

**~~Farmgirl Sister #60~~**
"... to thine ownself be true."
http://liggygirl.blogspot.com/
http://liggygirlslonggreen.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2008 :  4:50:59 PM  Show Profile
ohhh bridget .. the 60's AND the 70's were WONDERFULLY fun years .. i was living in Washington, D.C. (such exciting world events happening!!!) and the mountains of Colorado during those years ... such delightful memories!

oh gosh .. how much fun it would be to all be sitting around talking about what we were doing in the different 'eras' of our lives! xo

True Friends * Frannie

HEAR MY STORIES
come, visit my:
"GATHERING ROOM" ..

adopt a 'rag-chile'

Go to Top of Page

bohemiangel
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Bridget
Ligonier pa
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2008 :  5:00:23 PM  Show Profile  Send bohemiangel an AOL message  Click to see bohemiangel's MSN Messenger address  Send bohemiangel a Yahoo! Message
Well but I feel like it took a turn down a wrong path. I know I can't quite talk about something I know so little about.

Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2008 :  5:44:23 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
I think another part of it for me is that neighborly feeling. I haven't set down roots yet and I am yearning for that. I would love to have the "girls" over for a cup o' joe or a sewing group. I never had that...so I look back in time and see that and sigh....

Cheers,
Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

CountryBorn
True Blue Farmgirl

1545 Posts

Mary Jane
New York
USA
1545 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2008 :  5:54:24 PM  Show Profile
The 60's definately were a big turning point. I think the real pivotal thing was the asassination Of JFK in 1963. Unrest had started in the 50's. Kids were starting to rebel then, of course we had Elvis you know. He drove the parents nuts!! So naturally we LOVED him. He sure was cute! With Kennedy gone things really started to unravel,life the way we knew it has never really been the same.There were so many good people cut down,Bobby and Martin Luther King. Then there was Viet Nam, a war hardly anyone believed in. To witness the true begining of civil rights for all was so emotional and heartbreaking and happy all at once.The people, especially the youth started totaling distrusting government and establishment of any kind. Then of course there was Nixon and the walls kept tumbling down! I know I have never looked at government the same. Too many truths spilled out during that era, things that once they were out in the open couldn't be overlooked anymore. There was so many reasons things changed so dramatically. You are right I don't think if you didn't live it you really can't know the turbulence of those years. But, I gotta tell you, it was one AMAZING time to be alive in and be a part of. Frannie is so right it was a fun time
too.Yes things really changed, but a lot of good came out of it too. Come on, make love not war is a great slogan!! And the music, oh man the music! But things did change, that is a fact. Would I want to go back, no. Do I like all the things that go on now especially with the kids ,no. But, my Grandma always told me the pendulum of change always swings way to the left and way to the right before it finally settles in a happy medium. Maybe this is what is happening right now, we are approaching the happy medium. People are starting to take the best of all the era's and all the ideals and all the good things we have learned and are making life honest and working toward the best it has ever been.Remember sweet Bridget, we can all make our own lives exactly as we want to live them. You, I know will have a happy life because you are such a good person with such a good outlook
on life. You know exactly how you want yours to be, and you will have it.Bless you honey.

Peace, MJ (couldn't resist that!)

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do. Freya Stark
Go to Top of Page

bohemiangel
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Bridget
Ligonier pa
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2008 :  6:20:37 PM  Show Profile  Send bohemiangel an AOL message  Click to see bohemiangel's MSN Messenger address  Send bohemiangel a Yahoo! Message
Aw thanks so much! Either I'm more focused than I think or I write my thoughts well but don't understand them :-p Thanks again for the kind words made me smile and feel better.

Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2008 :  7:31:07 PM  Show Profile
maryjane .. i know you already know this ... but i wanted to say it too .. YOU were blessed with wonderfully positive, understanding, grandparents! How wonderful the LOVE that they have passed on to you!

I had that too .. and am so very thankful to my family for it.

bridge darlin' .. mj is soooooooo right .. you will have a happy life because all it truly takes is a happy outlook and attitude about what comes our way.

oh lordy! i just got a heart-ripping e-mail from one of my dear computer friends .. she has such sad illness going on in her family (husband AND son) .. she may lose them both in this lifetime soon. i understand how she is sad and in pain.

if we don't have something truly TRAGIC happening in our lives ... if we make our NOW moments uplifting .. and don't worry about the stuff we can't change .. of course, work hard for what we can in our small and the big world .. then we have done what we can do. honest to GOD .. mostly, all it takes is trying to be happy and loving! and the roots of this will go deep and reach out to others. gosh .. it seems that this message has become an important one lately for me to talk about.

gurlfrenz .. don't let frenz or family beat down your spirit by words they say or beliefs or fears they have!!!!!!!!!!!!!

when i hear people worrying so much about how bad life is TODAY compared to 'before' .. i wonder if they realize that evil and sadness and destruction (and all the 'baddy' words) have been around FOREVER .. gosh .. let's jus' go back a coupla' thousand years ago .. when there was this little sport of 'feeding friends and neighbors' to LIONS .. and some families coming out and cheering for the LIONS!! think of the atrocities commited during every WAR that ever was. and goodness gracious .. how about that little UN-CIVIL one we had right here in this country when family and neighbors were shooting and bayonetting each other to death .. not much different than today in reality .. the end result is the same!

i saw AMAZING change happening in Washington, D.C. during those times!! Civil Rights .. Women's Rights ..

And oh yes, there is the good .. the bad .. the beautiful .. and the ugly. CHOOSE EVERY CHANCE YOU CAN .. AND WHILE WE CAN .. THE GOOD AND THE BEAUTIFUL!!! WE only get so many days to effect change and so many hours to live our own personal lives. I choose not to waste them worrying about what has been or what will be. I will vote .. I will work .. I will play .. I will NOT complain about anything that is in my power to help make better. My 'complaining' has been and will be 'working' for what i believe in.

It is tooooo easy for us to 'generalize' something or an era as one thing or another. Remember .. that is usually based on a person's own personal experience during that time. (And is true for TODAY too!)

i once read a wonderful book of interviews of people who had reached 100 years of age. The question was asked of each of them: LOOKING BACK ON YOUR ENTIRE LIFE .. WHAT IS THE 'ONE THING' YOU WOULD CHANGE?

ALMOST UNANIMOUSLY .. their responses were: (and are ya'll ready for this .. cuz' this is gooooooooood sage wisdom from those who have been through lots more eras than we have!!!!!!!!!!!)

"I WOULDN'T HAVE WORRIED SO MUCH!!!"

the gist of their message was that most of the 'stuff' they worried about NEVER CAME TO PASS .. and most of the rest of it .. was 'stuff' they couldn't do anything about anyway!!

and WORRY never got much done!!! if we believe something profoundly .. do something positive about it to affect change!

hey .. was it alfred e. newman who said: DON'T WORRY! BE HAPPY! HA! OR DID I HEAR THAT ON A COMMERCIAL FOR VISITING JAMACIA! (OHHHHH .. and that is exactly where i will be at the end of february!)

P.S. a few minutes ago .. i picked up a magazine with an article by Dr. Wayne Dyer .. GREAT ADVICE .. i'll go downstairs and get it and do a little quoting from him .. i have always loved his books! xo, frannie

True Friends * Frannie

HEAR MY STORIES
come, visit my:
"GATHERING ROOM" ..

adopt a 'rag-chile'

Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2008 :  10:43:08 PM  Show Profile
I was born in 1952 and grew up in the 50's in a small farming community in IL. Life was so much simpler then. Things were safe. And we didn't have all the electronic intrusions that we have now. Kids actually went outside to play. We never locked our doors -- even at night. In the summer we would get up early, get on our bikes, and be gone until supper time. Then after supper everyone would go outside to play Kick The Can in the street. Or Hide and Seek.

However, I do love the 40's and would love to live in that era. I love the clothes, how pretty the women always looked, and going out to dinner and dancing.

Women did have grace in the 40's and 50's. I remember when I was a little girl and there would be a wedding or a funeral -- my mom and granny would have to consult to see if they should wear a hat or not. But no respectful lady ever went anywhere without gloves. When I tool secretarial practices in high school we were taught how to go on a job interview. One of the requirements was to wear gloves!

I used to admire the "fancy ladies", as I called them, at the grocery store. They were the housewives who were all dressed up to do their shopping. I would always look at their lovely dresses, heels, and they always smelled so good. I said that's what I wanted to be when I grew up!

Yes, women did not have as many rights then as they do now. And their husbands came first. But they were also able to stay home, raise their kids, and be taken care of by their husbands. I don't think that is such a bad thing. I would be very happy to have a husband who would be the head of the house and take care of me. I also lived through all the "women's lib" stuff. Somehow I feel that we lost a lot when women started demanding rights. Some of those demands were good -- better pay, working conditions, etc. But during that time was also when women felt they had a "right" to go outside the home to work. In my opinion, I feel many families have suffered because of that. I was one of those women who wanted to have it all -- the career and a family. My oldest daughter told me all she remembers of her childhood is me being gone to work. Guess I'm just old fashioned enough that I would love to be a homemaker.

My Etsy Shop http://therusticcottage.etsy.com
The Rustic Cottage Blog http://therusticcottage.blogspot.com
Farmgirl Flair Etsy Team http://farmgirlsonetsy.blogspot.com

PROUD FARMGIRL SISTER #100

Edited by - therusticcottage on Jan 29 2008 10:59:20 PM
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2008 :  10:58:50 PM  Show Profile
kay .. that was MY 'city child' life too! i was 11 years old then .. and lived in a 'row' house just 20 blocks from the nation's capitol. all up and down the streets, kids would come out right after dinner .. and we'd roam from one end of the block (sometimes into the next one too!) playing games .. or we'd sit on each other's porches .. often with our families and talk all up and down the street to other neighbors doing the same.

i remember when TV came to D.C. our next door neighbors were the first to get one .. and they'd have a buncha' kids in their living rooms (most of us sat on the floor with pillows) watching the ed sullivan show and the honeymooners! sweet times!

in the late 70's and early 80's ... we lived in both a 'mountain community in colorado and a 'beach community' in annapolis, maryland .. houses were a 'little' further apart .. but the kids all went from house to house .. or hung out in our 'circle park' .. or one of the big yards. moms and dads would push the babies there in their strollers.

in the 90's .. we lived in a big 'ole house .. tucked back into the woods on a river .. our granddaughter would have friends come over to play and hang out, play games and watch tv together (she was a girl and not much interested in computers .. and 'grammie' was usually using it anyway!) when she was a teenager .. friends came over and listened to music and talked about BOYS .. much like I did at their age!..

NOW .. in the 2000's ... our younger grandchildren do the same. when i visit toledo .. 6 year old lucas is either in someone else's yard .. or they in his! running back and forth. they might sometimes come in to watch a disney movie or cartoon video together and eat popcorn or ice cream.

AND .. in the 2000's ... i find that 'i' am still a kid at heart and go visiting and have have visitors come to gatherings and parties.

LIFE IS AN INSTANT REPLAY.

if we all think about it .. isn't that kinda' the same for you .. your children .. your grandchildren? or does it differ big time? tell us about it.

in the

True Friends * Frannie

HEAR MY STORIES
come, visit my:
"GATHERING ROOM" ..

adopt a 'rag-chile'

Go to Top of Page

bohemiangel
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Bridget
Ligonier pa
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2008 :  06:22:38 AM  Show Profile  Send bohemiangel an AOL message  Click to see bohemiangel's MSN Messenger address  Send bohemiangel a Yahoo! Message
Worry so much....like the Erma Bombeck thing that if she had just done a few things differently......life is short enjoy it.

Go to Top of Page

Past Blessings
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Brenda
Orchard Prairie WA
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2008 :  07:20:26 AM  Show Profile
I was born in 1963, so I missed the 50s completely, but I too have always romantized about decades past. But I agree, it is more for the sense of peace and unity that was there. I truly would be sad to have to give up my microwave! LOL! But I so desire a simpler time . . . when we can all set around the dinner table on a regular basis, not just as an occasional novelty, where people had clear lines of right and wrong and it wasn't all "relative." The name for my business, Past Blessings, came from those thoughts. My desire is to bring back what was good from those times . . . the neighboring, the morality, the family-first mentality, etc. We don't have to "throw out the baby with the bath water" as my older friend says, we just need to strive to hold on to what was good, while living in the times we are in. Still, I have to say I ache to be Libby Walton sometimes. I know she was poor and worked hard, but the blessings they had far out weighed any of that. I have become very nostalgic about my dress and have really been buying things that look like I stepped off the set of the Waltons! LOL! But it fits me and I love aprons too! I have lots at my little shop and I sometimes "wear" the merchandise and love thinking about the woman who wore this 50 years ago.

Hugs & blessings,

Brenda

Past Blessings . . . Celebrating Life as it used to be . . . when people loved God, loved their families and loved their country.
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2008 :  12:18:19 PM  Show Profile
Brenda, when I was acting in L.A. years ago, I was a Walton relative when John Boy got married. That was a great set - down in what was called the Warner Brothers "swamp" where the exterior Walton house set was and then inside, of course.

The production company paid for a big turkey and all the trimmings dinner for us (the Waltons were having turkey in celebration of John Boy's wedding but you don't eat set food if you want to live). That was nice and something they didn't have to do. And I actually got to say "Mornin' John Boy" to Richard. I always wanted to say "Mornin' John Boy" to Richard! His new bride was on the set and it was fun to see him with his brides. And the older sisters were there (I forgot their names) the ones that made moonshine and called it "remedy" and you should have seen how everybody took care of them. The Walton "kids" treated them with the utmost respect and love. It was really nice to see. Michael Learnard's dad had just died a week or so before we began shooting but you'd never know she was grieving. Her performance was flawless. All in all, a really fun set. Very nostalgic to everyone.

Patricia

Proud Farmgirl Sister #19
Rusty Chicks Chapter

check out my etsy site http://ThePlayfulFarmgirl.etsy.com

Today I choose faith not fear.
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2008 :  07:35:14 AM  Show Profile
oh patricia .. what a fun story!! tell us more of your 'hollywood career' .. oh lordy! i think that is the number one thing i wanted to 'be' when i 'grew up' in washington, d.c. a 'movie star'.

i kept a 'diary' off and on through my childhood .. when i reached adulthood .. my 'nannie' gave it to me with a giggle .. and told me to look at the 'last page'.

it read: 'SOMEDAY .. I WILL BE IN HOLLYWOOD'

(we got a good laugh out of it because, i had indeed, just returned from 'hollywood' .. i was on vacation!!!)

True Friends * Frannie

HEAR MY STORIES
come, visit my:
"GATHERING ROOM" ..

adopt a 'rag-chile'

Go to Top of Page

MereOnceMoore
Farmgirl in Training

33 Posts

Meredith
IL
33 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2008 :  10:53:51 AM  Show Profile
Wow, I am really impressed with this community of women. Again, I'm just so pleased to have found you all.

I was just thinking these very things the other day and I came to the conclusion that perhaps now is the best time to be simply because I can opt to live in a more retro fashion. Yes, I'm considered a bit of a freak for it, but I've always been a bit of a freak so what's new. the only downside I can see now is the battle I face in keeping my children away from all of the commercialism and the crappy influences from the kids down the block.

So now I don't just romanticise an era I'm dreaming of a rural setting. Someplace where we can be a bit more isolated and more likely to find people practicing deliberate parenting rather than the consumer Joneses culture of the suburbs.

Then again, maybe my small town dreams are all based on the Music Man and I'm starry eyed about the whole lot of it!

let's hope not.

again, what a great community ladies. I'm so glad to have found you.

Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Returning to the 1950's... Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page