Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 Organic or not organic, that is the question...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Organic or not organic, that is the question... Next Topic  

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - May 12 2005 :  4:01:49 PM  Show Profile
Here's a good editorial from House and Garden... regarding Miracle-Gro and other chemical fertilizers....good food for thought, too.

8/21/05 the link was no longer viable, so I removed it. It basically said that miracle grow is a chemical fertilizer and if growing vegetables organically, should not be used.

****Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural****

"Begin to weave and God will give the thread." - German Proverb

Edited by - Clare on Aug 21 2005 7:01:19 PM

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - May 12 2005 :  4:07:29 PM  Show Profile
Wow, Thanks Clare! When you read any label on fertilizers and potting mixes and it says to write to them for a complete list of ingredients...Be AFRAID, BE VERY AFRAID! All those heavy metals, YIKES!!!!

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century.
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - May 12 2005 :  4:15:43 PM  Show Profile
My grandfather told me a LONG time ago, " If the fertilizer you are using on your edible plants doesn't come from animal, fish or bird don't eat the crop." That guy was right about alot of things! He also lived to be 87 and worked in his greenhouses and gardens up until he died with very few health problems. Must have been something NOT in the water!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

cecelia
True Blue Farmgirl

497 Posts

cecelia
new york
USA
497 Posts

Posted - May 13 2005 :  7:55:35 PM  Show Profile
I try hard not to use any fertilizers, chemicals, etc. on my (small) garden. Basically, I figure if I can't put it in my mouth before putting it in the garden, I don't put it on any plants I want to eat! Compost is it for me - and I'm careful what I put in the compost pile.
A former boyfriend kept a compost pile, and told me he had tried to make some sourdough bread starter; it didn't "take" so he put it in the compost pile, and later saw that it "took" in the compost! Looked like a giant mushroom had taken growth in his yard. Funniest thing I ever saw.

Cecelia

ce's farm

"Curiosity is one of the forms of feminine bravery" Victor Hugo
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - May 14 2005 :  08:45:29 AM  Show Profile
The sourdough in the compost reminded me of my experience with the sourdough in the compost. I had a starter that got left in the trailer refridgerator for several months without any power to it so when I opened the fridg it smelled of very strong whiskey. I was not sure of the safety of using this starter anymore so reluctantly dug a hole in the center of the compost heap and buried it. The next day it had grown also and was bulging out of the heap. I was alerted to this by my pomeranian who was busily digging and barking at it. I covered it up again and later found the dog in it again eating it this time. I got a little worried about him later and called the vet because he was laying around moaning, belching and breaking wind. Poor little guy. The vet told me to give him tums. He was miserable for 24 hours but went right back to it the next day. I had to cover it with a wire he could not dig through. I guess it still tasted good.
Eileen

songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - May 14 2005 :  10:16:07 AM  Show Profile
Coming to a theatre near you! ATTACK OF THE COMPOST SOURDOUGH!!!

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century.
Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - May 14 2005 :  6:13:03 PM  Show Profile
Poor pup! Wonder what happened to the worms??????
Sharon
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - May 15 2005 :  09:00:45 AM  Show Profile
Poor puppy. I can just imagine the poor little thing lying on the floor, not quite sure what is happening to him

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - May 15 2005 :  09:32:30 AM  Show Profile
That would have been scarey for the little dog,especially his small size could not have handled all that dough. I had a kitten eat some moldy bread last fall and she got so sick I thought she was going to die.

Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - May 15 2005 :  09:58:00 AM  Show Profile
Your pet stories reminded me of one. One Thanksgiving afternoon, I let my dog out, and she never came back to the door to be let in. When I went looking for her, I found her down the road eating a greasy turkey carcass! She had cleaned those bones and was working on eating them. She couldn't walk back to the house (I carried her and she was having trouble breathing) and she spent the whole night on the bathroom tile floor moaning. I slept beside her because I was really afraid something would burst and she would die on me. All vet's offices were closed. That was so scary, but she was always a little piglet and would eat until she dropped if you let her.

jpbluesky

O, cease to heed the glamour that blinds your foolish eyes,
Look upward to the glitter of stars in God's clear skies.

from God's Garden by Robert Frost
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - May 15 2005 :  10:29:05 AM  Show Profile
I never used miracle grow but my husband is always trying to put this plant food for roses on my rose bush & mini roses in the house. I read the label and cant pronounce most of it so I tell him kno I dont plant any herbs or veggies in my yard, I have a septic thats always giving me problems. I plant them in containers. My flowers florish!!!!! Im tryin to concetrate on all natural & organic for growing all my herbs and veggies. Anyone know any indformative web-sites?
Michele

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov. 31:13

Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - May 15 2005 :  10:39:52 AM  Show Profile
Michele, Try this site, I have found it to be helpful!

www.organicgardening.com

Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - May 31 2005 :  3:34:51 PM  Show Profile
Lorij, Have you ever tried fish emulsion on your roses? I feed mine once a month during heavy blooming and they love it...the smell I can do without while mixing but it soon dissapates once it soaks in the soil.

Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - May 31 2005 :  4:34:32 PM  Show Profile
Meadowlark and LoriJ-- I use fish emulsion for many plantings. I mix it in an old camping water jug and then parcel it out into my watering can when I need it and can make the strength to suit the plants. The smell is bad but goes away quickly thank goodness!
After many years in the field, I have come to the conclusion that the landscape industry is the worst abuser of chemicals imaginable. I was required to get my pesticide applicators license in order to graduate, but never had any intention of using it. I did an internshio at an arboretum where they insisted that I apply Cygon to the roses and I knew that the conditions were not appropriate for application.I refused and was given every cruddy job in the place after that.The individual that did apply the spray that day in 100 degree heat ended up in the emergency room with chemical toxicity and possible long term health concerns.I have also not been hired for a job where I would not allow the "firm" to use my applicator's license for their purposes. I never did renew it and never will. Am I organic? You betcha!

Michelle-- www.farm-garden.com is also a great site with a forum for Q&A. Check it out , they are very friendly and helpful.

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - May 31 2005 :  9:14:43 PM  Show Profile
For all of you earth conscious gardeners, and want-to-be gardeners out there, this article features "a striking new book that lays a path to saving the planet, one garden at a time". Maybe we could have this be one of the projects of the Farmgirls Chapters - just a thought. Here's a link to the article, and then to the book at Amazon.
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/pacificnw05292005/plantlife.html

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/075660589X/qid=1117598927/sr=8-1/ref=pd_csp_1/104-0230333-5355154?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

****Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural****

"Begin to weave and God will give the thread." - German Proverb

Edited by - Clare on May 31 2005 9:15:46 PM
Go to Top of Page

BamaSuzy
True Blue Farmgirl

138 Posts

Alabama
USA
138 Posts

Posted - May 31 2005 :  9:47:23 PM  Show Profile
Our primary "fertilizer" is composted bunny poop....my Angora's give us a ready supply of it! (and it's 100% organic!)

You can bury a lot of troubles digging in the dirt!
Go to Top of Page

countrykat
True Blue Farmgirl

85 Posts

kathy
paola kansas
USA
85 Posts

Posted - May 31 2005 :  10:52:41 PM  Show Profile
I have never used fish emulsion but I do dump the water that I take out of my 30 gallon fish tank into the garden. About once a week I take out 5 gallons of water and dole it out to my flowers and some veggies. It is a wonderful use of this highly fertilized water. My goldfish eat peas too so I know what they are eating is good for the garden. It's the circle of life!
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2005 :  09:31:55 AM  Show Profile
I feed my roses seaweed extract once a month. Also worm compost in the spring and worm tea throughout the summer. It is a highly effective fungus destroyer. No mold or fungal infections. Do not seem to get black spot either. That is a real problem around here with the humidity and wet summers we usually have.
We have a local organic farmer here who also sells what he calls magical dirt. It is a mix of his pasture grasses mulched with his livestock manuer and peat from his bog with sand from his hill side. It is wonderful stuff! Black, rich and full of worms. I use this every spring on everything.
Eileen

songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2005 :  4:09:00 PM  Show Profile
Here's a good followup article that beats the drum about WHY it is important to be an organic steward of our land.

http://consciouschoice.com/2005/cc1807/pests1807.html

And another, regarding food:

http://www.shared-vision.com/2005/sv1808/organic1808.html

**** Love is the great work - though every heart is first an apprentice. - Hafiz
Set a high value on spontaneous kindness. - Samuel Johnson****

Edited by - Clare on Aug 21 2005 4:14:42 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Organic or not organic, that is the question... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page