Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 soda's effect on the body
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic soda's effect on the body Next Topic  

jenbove

320 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
320 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2008 :  5:06:57 PM  Show Profile
WHAT HAPPENS WITHIN THE FIRST HOUR OF DRINKING A COLA?

-10 minutes: 10 teaspoons of sugar hit your system, which is 100 percent of your recommended daily intake. You'd normally vomit from such an intake, but the phosphoric acid cuts the flavor.

-20 minutes: Your blood sugar skyrockets. Your liver attempts to maximize insulin production in order to turn high levels of sugar into fat.

-40 minutes: As your body finishes absorbing the caffeine, your pupils dilate, your blood pressure rises, and your liver pumps more sugar into the bloodstream.

-45 minutes: Your body increases dopamine production, tricking you into feeling pleasure and adding to the addictiveness of the beverage.

-60 minutes: The sugar crash begins.

Source- Dr. Mercola: http://www.organicconsumers.org/articles/article_9665.cfm

Jen

Farmgirl Sisterhood Member # 9

My Blog: The View From My Boots
www.bovesboots.blogspot.com

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2008 :  7:10:37 PM  Show Profile
I try to tell my Dr. Pepper drinking husband about this but he won't listen. Man!!! I am so releived that the kids and I don't drink the stuff..ugh!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2008 :  7:38:42 PM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
Don't forget all the other ingredients in soda that makes it terrible for you:
High Fructose Corn Syrup (ugh), Aspertame/Sucralose (in the sugar-free ones). Aspertame has been linked with memory loss and common symptoms of Splenda side effects include rashes & other skin conditions.
Go to Top of Page

farmgirl1
True Blue Farmgirl

116 Posts

Robin
Douglasville GA
USA
116 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2008 :  07:49:29 AM  Show Profile
And the phosphorus pulls calcium from your bones and stops absorption of calcium. Women especially should not drink soda's

Farm Girl Sister #28
#1 prissy farmgirl.
Oh, I want a pink John Deere Tractor.
http://fonvillefarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

hollyhock81
True Blue Farmgirl

125 Posts

FARAH
IN
USA
125 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2008 :  5:08:15 PM  Show Profile
Ohmy! As I read that I actually wanted some water.OMG we all know it has tons of sugar too and we keep drinking the stuff.On the biggest loser last week they showed a giant bin filled with the sugar amt that the contestants drank in 1 year.It was SICK!

I'm going to try this,use seltzer water and add to your favorite juice its like gourmet pop.You can play with the flavors too.
Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2008 :  03:40:51 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for bursting my bubble of carbonated happiness! LOL I am trying (it seems to be on-going) to kick the sodas. Iknow I can becuse I've done it before. You really bring home what I'm doing to my body. Thanks for the info. I know it will help me and really make me think before opening the next one!
Sharon

Farmgirl Sister #74

Life is messy. Wear your apron!
Go to Top of Page

Lainey
True Blue Farmgirl

2401 Posts

Elaine
Waco Kentucky
USA
2401 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2008 :  08:01:04 AM  Show Profile
Starting this Wednesday I'm going to try cut out pop, either with sugar or diet, for the next 40+ days. I'm going to see if I can do without it. Also I'm going to try to cut out candy, either with sugar or sugarless. At Easter I might eat a little bit but since Christmas time I've kind of went overboard with the candy and pop. Please wish me luck.

Farmgirl Sister #25

http://countrygirldreams.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2008 :  10:45:06 AM  Show Profile
Yuk, I am glad I have given up all but the occasional soda, as a treat.
Did anyone else notice the name of the doctor who wrote the article; Dr. Mercola = more cola ... what irony!

Jo

"Wish I had time to work with herbs all day!"
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic soda's effect on the body Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page