Linder
True Blue Farmgirl

592 Posts

Linda
Lake Forest IL
USA
592 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2008 :  5:00:58 PM  Show Profile  Send Linder a Yahoo! Message
I'm very interested to see how you Farm Girls weigh in on raw milk products.

I hadn't had any milk products for close to 17 years and a friend of mine told me I HAD to try it. Much to my surprise and under her tuteldge I found that not only did I like it but that raw milk does not give you any lactose issues, it's not mucus forming and I've even lost weight since incorporating it into my diet!

Wow, who'da thunk?

My only problem is that in So. Cal it costs $10.00 for a half a gallon if you can believe that!? OUch.

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk to blossom

Georgia Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

212 Posts

Denise
Atlanta GA
USA
212 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2008 :  5:13:06 PM  Show Profile  Send Georgia Girl an AOL message
Here is GA we can get it for $6 a gallon. I love it but the kids can't stand the taste.

~Denise~
Proud Farmgirl Sister #113

http://mybigcityfarm.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Linder
True Blue Farmgirl

592 Posts

Linda
Lake Forest IL
USA
592 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2008 :  5:47:48 PM  Show Profile  Send Linder a Yahoo! Message
Really? I love it too but it did take a little getting used to how thick and creamy it is. Lucky you that you only pay $6. Do you get it direct from a farm?

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk to blossom
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2008 :  6:47:09 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I would love to try raw cow's milk, but I don't know anyone that has a lactating cow. I do get to drink raw goat's milk every weekend. Sometimes I even milk the goats for them! I know how strict they are with cleanliness so Nora has even drank it. We both really enjoy it, and Sky-dog loves it when she gets some too!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Please come visit Nora and I our our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Linder
True Blue Farmgirl

592 Posts

Linda
Lake Forest IL
USA
592 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2008 :  6:58:54 PM  Show Profile  Send Linder a Yahoo! Message
Hi Alee, I saw you and Nora on your blog yesterday...she's gorgeous! I haven't tried raw goats milk but I eat raw goats milk cheese which is really yummy! Milking a goat? Is it easier than milking a cow?

Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2008 :  7:04:19 PM  Show Profile
I love raw milk!! My friend gives me milk but wont have any cows giving milk until April. I am in witdrawl!!!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2008 :  7:19:29 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I haven't ever milked a cow, so I wouldn't know from experience. I know that the easiness of milking a goat varies depending on their udders and formation of their teats. Some goats are itty bitty and you literally milk with two fingers. Some goats are larger than others and you need your whole hand to milk them properly. I can milk a goat in less time than it takes them to eat a scoop of grain (about 2 lbs). I used to have to refil the feeder several times. Now only the hardest goat requires a re-fill. :D

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2008 :  7:42:58 PM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
I adore raw milk! Goat milk is my favorite, but like Alee I am SOOOOOOO picky about the cleanliness issue. You can TASTE dirty goat milk in one sip...sometimes even smell it. I had two milking does and Alee is right in the differences between them. One milked out very quickly and easily while the other took quite a bit of effort. Overall it was worth it.

What we write today slipped into our souls some other day when we were alone and doing nothing. Brenda Ueland

http://quilandneedle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Linder
True Blue Farmgirl

592 Posts

Linda
Lake Forest IL
USA
592 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2008 :  8:28:41 PM  Show Profile  Send Linder a Yahoo! Message
That cinches it! I'm going to see if I can find some raw goats milk and try it! No goats to milk in L.A. I'm sad to say but maybe when I'm in Minnesota this weekend...

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2008 :  8:38:03 PM  Show Profile
We only drink raw milk. We had goats for years before we got my perfect Jersey cow, Mona, about 2 1/2 years ago. She is on her second lactation now. I have 4 kids at home who are big milk drinkers and still we are overloaded with milk all the time when she first calves..for the first few months. right now she is down to about 3 gallons a day on once a day milking. She gave nearly 8 gallons a day at peak this year. I know that the raw milk is much healthier and I agree...the cleanliness issue is huge. When I had goats I couldn't give goat milk away..people had such bad experiences in the past with bad tasting milk (ours was always sweet and good) and wouldn't give it a try unless they didn't know what they were drinking. I have no problem finding people who want cow's milk. I wish you were closer to me..I would set you up with some for sure. I love making butter, yogurt and mozzarella and ricotta cheeses with it too. And the cream....ah..the cream!!
Goats are the same to milk, just smaller and easier to handle, and cheaper to feed for sure. The biggest thing I notice too is that I really enjoy the cream separating the way it does in cows milk. My cow isn't a big one, but could still drag me all over the place if she chose to. (she dosn't ..she is perfect, like I said) I am NOT a small gal, but even a small cow is still a big animal..so that makes a big difference. I am sure Mona will be my only milk cow..by the time she is too old to still carry a calf my kids will be grown and I will keep her as a pet and get another milk goat for sure. I loved mine. I had saanens and before that an Oberhasli. I did try to milk my first goat, a Nigerian dwarf, but I couldn't get into the two finger milking...and got a full sized goat. Mine usually gave about a gallon a day each so I kept two. They all are very different for sure..but I love goat personalities..very different than other animals. My Mona is really sweet and loves routine and dosn't test me or want to try new things..she likes to know what to expect..but goats live for surprizes and testing..they are so fun to have around.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2008 :  8:55:00 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Aunt Jenny- The Ranch that I go to sometimes has Oberhasli goats. They are so sweet and fun! You are right! I love them. If I get goats I am going to get Oberhaslis.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2008 :  08:14:55 AM  Show Profile
I have been drinking raw goat milk for 16 years. Right now no one is in milk and I am having to buy organic cow milk. Boy has it gone up. I have Nubians and there milk is super delicious !! They give around a gallon a day. Nubians are loud in voice but I really like them. They don't test my electric fence except the bucks and I love all the color patterns they come in. New babies are fun because its like a suprise everytime.I have 9 does right now and they will start kidding around the first of march. I sure hope its warmer than it is now.
Alot of people have really different opinions on raw milk. Some people I have talked to really get upset when they find out I drink raw milk and use raw milk for cheese. But I always tell them my girls have been tested for diseases and always come out negative on all their test and I handle the milk very carefully and keep it clean. It always taste great. I have never had problem from drinking it.
Linda

Each day is precious...take a few of those minutes for yourself.
Go to Top of Page

Linder
True Blue Farmgirl

592 Posts

Linda
Lake Forest IL
USA
592 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2008 :  09:00:18 AM  Show Profile  Send Linder a Yahoo! Message
Hi Jenny!
Thanks for all of the great information! Obviously I get my milk straight from the store, rather than direct from the farm/cow. I wish you were closer so you could hook me up. My friend that turned me onto raw milk products only drinks the cream and she swears by it! I'll be trying it this weekend. Sounds yummy.
I know that there is a lot of controversy around raw milk because of the cleanliness etc..but honestly the research is all out there and there are so many more positives than negatives. Certified organic raw milk has to go through a rigorous cleaning process.
I think a lot people assume that dirt, manure and God knows what else, gets into it! If that were the case...well suffice it to say we wouldn't be having this conversation! LOL!

Go to Top of Page

Linder
True Blue Farmgirl

592 Posts

Linda
Lake Forest IL
USA
592 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2008 :  09:02:26 AM  Show Profile  Send Linder a Yahoo! Message
Hi Linda,

Raw goats milk is now on my list of things to try. I hear that it's wonderful. I eat raw goat cheese which I honestly can't get enough of. Is the cheese hard to make?

Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2008 :  10:20:11 AM  Show Profile
I want to get raw cow's milk but don't know where to find any! I've never seen it any store. Any farmgirls in the Boise area know where I can find it? Right now, I pay $8 gallon for organic milk, but it's not raw. I wish I could have a cow, but my lot just isn't big enough.

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog: http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/
My Website:
http://www.freewebs.com/lisamariesbasketry/index.htm
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2008 :  10:26:59 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Lisa-

How big is your lot? Could you get a dairy goat?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Go to Top of Page

junkjunkie
True Blue Farmgirl

1306 Posts

Judy
Lawrenceville NJ
USA
1306 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2008 :  1:41:38 PM  Show Profile
New Jersey prohibits selling raw cow's milk, but you can get raw milk cheeses. There's a farm by me that have only grass-fed cows for meat and they make their own cheeses. The meat is delicious, much leaner that what you would buy in a supermarket. It's not that much more expensive, and they have egg laying hens. The closest I would have to go for raw milk is Pennsylvania, which is 20 or so minutes from me. I never drank raw milk, but have read about it on the Internet. There seems to be more pro than con about it. I always drink skim milk, and try to get organic. Can you get raw skim milk, or is it always whole? Wouldn't drinking a lot of whole milk be a problem for cholesteral? I love dairy products and drink a lot of milk.

"To have life in focus, we must have death in our field of vision." Benedictine monk John Main
Go to Top of Page

Linder
True Blue Farmgirl

592 Posts

Linda
Lake Forest IL
USA
592 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2008 :  1:48:26 PM  Show Profile  Send Linder a Yahoo! Message
Hi Judy,
I don't know the answer to the Cholesterol question but have asked my friend who knows as much about raw milk as anyone I've come across. I'll post her answer when she repsonds to me.

Raw milk does come in a skim form but my girlfriend says you should drink whole milk or cream!

It kinda goes against everything we think but she told me I would start losing weight if I could incorporate 3 cups of raw milk in my diet a day. And darned if she wasn't right! I love the taste.

A friend of hers drinks raw cream and has lost 35 lbs. (she is a very large gal) very cool stuff!

Go to Top of Page

Linder
True Blue Farmgirl

592 Posts

Linda
Lake Forest IL
USA
592 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2008 :  1:54:33 PM  Show Profile  Send Linder a Yahoo! Message
Here's a link that shows where to find raw milk all over the U.S. Scroll down to Idaho Lisa. I hope it has someplace close by.

Go to Top of Page

Linder
True Blue Farmgirl

592 Posts

Linda
Lake Forest IL
USA
592 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2008 :  1:58:34 PM  Show Profile  Send Linder a Yahoo! Message
http://www.realmilk.com/where2.html#id

OK, always helps if I actually paste it in there for you! Duh.

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4195 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4195 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2008 :  05:04:08 AM  Show Profile
Raw milk, the real deal. I grew up on raw milk, and have been drinking it again, since getting Summer over a year ago. Wonderful stuff. 5 families get my milk also, and they all dread the dry period!! I make lots of different products. Our favorite right now is colby cheese. We eatit fresh, but after about a week or so, it gets even better. It took a bit for my boys to accept the white cheese though. I don't add any coloring. Once it warms up to hope to try aging some colby, and parmison (awful speller) cheese. My extra fridge is currently outside. One of my boys sits and drinks a quart of milk at a time. So it is a good thing I have that cow. Summer is a wonderful Jersey cow.
Michele
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2008 :  06:14:52 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the link, Linda. The Caldwell farm would be the closest at a 2 hour drive. All the rest are much farther. Although, Heritage Farms sells their organic milk in the grocery stores and that's the one that I've been buying. Does anyone know what probiotics are? I'm not sure that's a good thing.

Alee, do you know where Cocolalla, ID is? I never heard of it. Also, my lot is just a hair under a half acre and city ordinance says you must have a half acre plus neighbor's permission to have any farm animals on your property. The permission part wouldn't be difficult (unless it was a pig), but I just miss out on the required lot size. If I could just talk my next-door neighbor into selling us the little piece that's behind us. They're property is L shaped. They only use it to hold junk!

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog: http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/
My Website:
http://www.freewebs.com/lisamariesbasketry/index.htm
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2008 :  06:21:23 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Cocolalla is about an hour north of CDA.

Too bad you don't have enough land!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Go to Top of Page

Georgia Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

212 Posts

Denise
Atlanta GA
USA
212 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2008 :  07:01:44 AM  Show Profile  Send Georgia Girl an AOL message
I get my milk from Carlton Farms http://www.carltonfarm.com/ and it is wonderful. My dad doesn't feel that they leave all of the cream in it but it is just fine for me. They are located in Rockmart, GA but I know that he has numerous delivery sites

Denise

~Denise~
Proud Farmgirl Sister #113

http://mybigcityfarm.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Linder
True Blue Farmgirl

592 Posts

Linda
Lake Forest IL
USA
592 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2008 :  07:55:22 AM  Show Profile  Send Linder a Yahoo! Message
Probiotics are SUPER good. I'll attach a link that goes into detail but basically a probiotic promotes good bacteria in your body and replenishes or regenerates your body (so to speak) antibiotics kill all the bad bacteria in your body but it kills the good bacteria too. leaving you very suseptable to getting sick again because your body doesn't have the good bacteria to fight illnesses. A lot of people will take asadophilus (sp) priobiotics are similar but a little more effective. Here's the link
http://www.jonbarron.org/barron_reports/5-1-1999.php?gclid=CMSijPycj5ECFRscawodozfVFg

Go to Top of Page

lovelady
True Blue Farmgirl

533 Posts

Toni
Indiana
USA
533 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2008 :  08:03:54 AM  Show Profile
Lisa- Probiotics is basically just a word for the good bacteria/yeasts that are in digestive systems. Sometimes cows and other animals are given a supplement of them to aid in digestion, particularly if they have been sick, which upsets the balance of natural bacteria in the rumen or stomach.

http://conklin.com/catalog/prod_info.asp?prfID=730

Fastrack is a product of the Conklin Company, they say it is a mix of live microbials, yeast culture, enzymes, and chicory root.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Raw Milk Products Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page