True Blue Farmgirl

592 Posts

Linda
Lake Forest IL
USA
592 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2008 :  12:18:01 PM  Show Profile  Send Linder a Yahoo! Message
Hello Everyone!

I am new to your boards and thrilled to be here.

I am seeking some assistance from you seasoned farm girls out there.

I am from WA State but have been in L.A. (don't say it!) for 7 years now. My blood has thinned considerably and I'm travelling this friday (my 48th birthday) to see my best friend in Minnesota for the weekend.

I am so excited and yet very concerned because of the cold. With the windchill factor it was -26 on Saturday. Brrrrrrr.

Can anyone tell me what to wear? I have snowboots, gloves and a recently purchased heavy-duty cowichan sweater. What else do you recommend to keep me warm and comfortable?

Any help you can give me would be so greatly appreciated!

Many Thanks,

Linda (Linder)

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk to blossom

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2008 :  12:21:55 PM  Show Profile
Hi Linda - welcome. Can't help you with the Minnesota weather, but if you were coming back to WA you'd need what you described. It was 20 degrees here this morning when I got up and I'm sure it's much colder than that on the East side! Where are you from?

Farmgirl Sister #98
Go to Top of Page

junkjunkie
True Blue Farmgirl

1306 Posts

Judy
Lawrenceville NJ
USA
1306 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2008 :  12:33:48 PM  Show Profile
Linda, I've never lived in that part of the country, but today, where I live, it's 5- degrees. Brrrrrrr. I would wear layers. To start, if you have long underwear (or you could use a long sleeved t-shirt and leggings), put that on. Then thick wool socks and a light turtleneck or warm shirt with wool pants...or jeans. Jeans are not too warm and if it gets wet, it's miserable. You're better off with wool, or nylon, which will whisk off moisture. If you want, you could put on a heavy or light sweater. Then a good wool or puffer coat, make sure to cover your neck and mouth with a scarf, and wear a hat that covers your ears, or ear muffs. Of course...gloves and weather/skid proof boots. Now, after all that, if you can move....you're good to go....LOL....but at least you'd be warm! :)

"To have life in focus, we must have death in our field of vision." Benedictine monk John Main
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2008 :  1:00:13 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Judy has excellent advice. You will for sure need a really good coat- I suggest a parka type that is longer than the ski/snowboard type (parkas keep the tushie warm). Layers are the key to warmth. Each layer holds an air pocket and that is what actually keeps you warm. Wool is better than cotton, as is synthetic fabrics. Don't forget sunglasses as sunglare can be miserable. Also wear sunscreen as sun glare can give you a nasty sunburn as well.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Please come visit Nora and I our our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Linder
True Blue Farmgirl

592 Posts

Linda
Lake Forest IL
USA
592 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2008 :  1:22:54 PM  Show Profile  Send Linder a Yahoo! Message
Hi Sherri,
I grew up in Bellevue and then after High School moved to the country...Issaquah and then later on Everett and Woodinville. Sure miss 4 seson weather.

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk to blossom
Go to Top of Page

Linder
True Blue Farmgirl

592 Posts

Linda
Lake Forest IL
USA
592 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2008 :  1:24:25 PM  Show Profile  Send Linder a Yahoo! Message
Thanks Judy & Alee,
I appreicate the feedback so much. I never even thought of sunscreen and sunglasses! Excellent tip.

Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2008 :  1:44:25 PM  Show Profile
best idea...stay inside as much as you can!!
Layering is the key, then you can add or take off as needed. Is there an Eddie Bauer store in the local mall? If so, they have long underwear that will help a lot. Silk is great cause it's thin and won't be so bulky under your other clothes.
Have a wonderful time visiting, what I neat way to spend your birthday.
I lived in your area many years ago, Venice, Culver City, Mar Vista. My parents had their boat at Marina del Rey for a long time too, though they lived in Burbank.
Welcome to a wonderful group.
Ronna
Go to Top of Page

Linder
True Blue Farmgirl

592 Posts

Linda
Lake Forest IL
USA
592 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2008 :  1:53:01 PM  Show Profile  Send Linder a Yahoo! Message
Thanks Ronna. This brings up a great question about thermal underwear. I was told that a cotton/wool mix was the best and actually found some cool vintage (brand new) sets on ebay from WWII! I know sounds kookie but I love the recycling idea. Is one type better than the other?

And if I've learned anything it's layer, layer, layer! We'll be inside a lot but actually planning on hitting an old growth forest and soaking in the quiet (but very cold) beauty. LOL!

Thanks!

Go to Top of Page

Mountain Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

806 Posts

JoAnn
Colville Washington
USA
806 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2008 :  2:17:03 PM  Show Profile
Linda, What part of Minnesota are you going to? Embarrass Mn yes there is a town by that name was the coldest in the nation a couple of days ago. They had a temperature of -36 -- actual temperature not windchill. Embarrass is in northern Mn. Mittens are better than gloves, scarf or neck warmer. Definately need a jacket or windbreaker to put over the heavy sweater. Like the girls said layers are better especially if you be doing active outdoor things. I'm sure your friend will have extra things for you. Enjoy it shall be an experience. JoAnn, an ex-Minnesotan
Go to Top of Page

Linder
True Blue Farmgirl

592 Posts

Linda
Lake Forest IL
USA
592 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2008 :  2:28:43 PM  Show Profile  Send Linder a Yahoo! Message
-36? Sweet Mother! I'll be in Minnetonka. Hopefully far, far away from Embarass! I have a great windbreaker. Check. I'ts on my list. Thanks JoAnne!

Go to Top of Page

Mountain Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

806 Posts

JoAnn
Colville Washington
USA
806 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2008 :  3:14:48 PM  Show Profile
Linda, Your safe it's not near Embarrass. It's a beautiful area with a large lake nearby. You can go see all the people icefishing on it! They drive their cars out onto the lake. Some people fish in the open but others have elaborate ice houses. Just think of the stories you can tell your friends. JoAnn
Go to Top of Page

Linder
True Blue Farmgirl

592 Posts

Linda
Lake Forest IL
USA
592 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2008 :  3:16:52 PM  Show Profile  Send Linder a Yahoo! Message
Thanks JoAnne. I miss 4 season weather so much and Winter is my favorite time of year. I'm hoping to have some great stories to bring back!

Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2008 :  3:59:10 PM  Show Profile
Is one type better than the other?

Personal preference. I'm allergic to wool, so that's out for me. I believe natural fibers are best, wool, cotton, silk, cause they will breathe. Some swear by the newer synthetic blends. ask four people, probably get four answers :) My husband won't wear synthetics due to static electricity.
You'll have a wonderful time regardless and lucky to be able to make this trip. Let us know after you get back.
Ronna
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2008 :  6:17:14 PM  Show Profile
silk underwear is great! Lots of socks. Mittens NOT gloves.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2008 :  6:19:18 PM  Show Profile
I am referring to long underwear not the sexy type!!! :)

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

Linder
True Blue Farmgirl

592 Posts

Linda
Lake Forest IL
USA
592 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2008 :  7:12:59 PM  Show Profile  Send Linder a Yahoo! Message
LOL! Roger that, silk long undies, not the sexy ones. That creates a very funny picture!

Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2008 :  08:49:32 AM  Show Profile
Linder,
By this weekend we will have a high at 30 degrees-a veritable heat wave. You won't need all of that stuff. A decent coat, a hat or earmuffs, and pair of mittens and boots will suffice if you are going out walking.
Minnetonka is my stomping grounds, and there is plenty to do in the area. Make your friend take you to the General Store. It is fun in there, farmgirl friendly, and a great place to have tea. Much better than the dreadful Mall of America.

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland
Go to Top of Page

Linder
True Blue Farmgirl

592 Posts

Linda
Lake Forest IL
USA
592 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2008 :  4:48:19 PM  Show Profile  Send Linder a Yahoo! Message
Hello Kate!
I just saw your message. Yes, after all of this my friend told me it was gonig to be a tropical 29 degrees this weekend. I think I'm good. I've listened to everyone's advice and started my packing. I'm really excited!

Now, about the general store...where is it? Is it an actual store or a restaurant etc? I'd love to go there.
And btw, you'd have to hogtie me and throw me in the trunk of a car to get me to a mall. Ugh.
LOL!

Go to Top of Page

Linder
True Blue Farmgirl

592 Posts

Linda
Lake Forest IL
USA
592 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2008 :  4:50:28 PM  Show Profile  Send Linder a Yahoo! Message
Oh, I wanted to share that I found some amazing thermal underwear on e-bay last night that's vintage but brand new army issue wool&cotton that I purchased from an Army/Navy surplus! I'm told that this type of thermal is really good.
Hmmmm, after what kate just told me, I may not even need them now!
Well, I go to Chicago next month so I'm sure they'll get some use.

Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2008 :  07:50:52 AM  Show Profile
Linder,
The General Store is in Minnetonka, off west Hwy 7. I am sure your friend will know where it is.
Here is the website: www.generalstoreofminnetonka.com

The website doesn't do the store justice.
It is a goofy little store with great stuff and has a little cafe attached to have tea/coffee and treats. I think they may even serve soup and sandwiches too.
My friend Lisa and I love to poke around in there.
Have fun and welcome to Minnesota!

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland
Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2008 :  07:58:15 AM  Show Profile
So...how wass the trip?

Farmgirl Sister #74

Life is messy. Wear your apron!
Go to Top of Page

Linder
True Blue Farmgirl

592 Posts

Linda
Lake Forest IL
USA
592 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2008 :  09:06:23 AM  Show Profile  Send Linder a Yahoo! Message
I leave for my trip on Friday at the crack of dawn. I have to giggle about all my prep for being warm, since as Kate had pointed out earlier...it's gonna be near 30 this weekend. sigh. I was really kind of jazzed about gearing up for the cold weather.
I checked out The General Store website in Minnetonka and spoke to my girlfriend about it too. She's never been in so we've made plans to go check it out this weekend.
Thanks for the tip Kate!

Go to Top of Page

Linder
True Blue Farmgirl

592 Posts

Linda
Lake Forest IL
USA
592 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2008 :  10:08:59 AM  Show Profile  Send Linder a Yahoo! Message
OK, so I leave tommorw morning for Minneapolis and just rec'd an e-mail late yesterday from my girlfriend who forwarded a weather alert to me that said the windchill was expected to be -25 to -35. Sweet Mother, what was I thinking? No wonder the flight was cheap! LOL! The part that had me rolling on the floor was when it said "If you're planning on going outside, please wear a hat and gloves!" Really? ROFLOL!

Go to Top of Page

Linder
True Blue Farmgirl

592 Posts

Linda
Lake Forest IL
USA
592 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2008 :  09:41:54 AM  Show Profile  Send Linder a Yahoo! Message
Hello All!
I'm back from a lovely weekend in Minnesota and wanted to let you know how it went with my winter clothing and the advise you all gave me!
First off, thanks to all of you who offered advice. I purchased some awesome soft wool socks and coupled with a good pair of hiking boots kept my feet SO warm and cozy!
The layering was the key and honestly, it turned out to be between 18-35 degrees while I was there so the weather was downright balmy compared to what I thought it would be!
I layered everyday with an undershirt,longsleeved cotton shirt & wool sweater. It was all I needed!
And on the botton I had a pair of cotton leggings that I wore under my jeans and I was good to go!
I had other items but really didn't need them.
A heavy cowichan sweater (which was amazingly warm) with a wool hat, mittens and scarf topped it off. The good news is that I feel very confident in dressing for the colder climes now which will be very handy when I go see my boyfriend in Chicago next month over the Valentines weekend!
Thanks again to everyone, I enjoyed myself and wasn't cold for a moment!!

Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Winter wear. Help! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page