lovelady
True Blue Farmgirl

533 Posts

Toni
Indiana
USA
533 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2008 :  08:05:05 AM  Show Profile
Lisa- Probiotics is basically just a word for the good bacteria/yeasts that are in digestive systems. Sometimes cows and other animals are given a supplement of them to aid in digestion, particularly if they have been sick, which upsets the balance of natural bacteria in the rumen or stomach.

http://conklin.com/catalog/prod_info.asp?prfID=730

Fastrack is a product of the Conklin Company, they say it is a mix of live microbials, yeast culture, enzymes, and chicory root.
Go to Top of Page

lovelady
True Blue Farmgirl

533 Posts

Toni
Indiana
USA
533 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2008 :  08:06:22 AM  Show Profile
Hi Linda! We posted at the same time :D! And I did it twice, apparently, sorry!
Go to Top of Page

Linder
True Blue Farmgirl

592 Posts

Linda
Lake Forest IL
USA
592 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2008 :  08:22:21 AM  Show Profile  Send Linder a Yahoo! Message
No worries Toni! It's all good information.

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk to blossom
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2008 :  09:12:48 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the info in stereo! The next time I'm in the valley I'm going to head over to this farm and get some raw milk. I can hardly wait. I haven't had raw milk since I was a kid and we used to get it from the dairy farm across the road from us. Boy that was a long time ago. But I still remember how rich it tasted.

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog: http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/
My Website:
http://www.freewebs.com/lisamariesbasketry/index.htm
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2008 :  09:19:59 AM  Show Profile
Hi Linder
I don't think goat cheese is hard to make. I only make the soft cheeses except I do make motzerella cheese. That was is a wierd process but its fun to make and turns out great !! The main thing to do is make sure all the equipment is super clean and have enought time to fool with it. I don't make the hard cheeses because I don't have a room thats controlled for aging. But maybe someday when I have the money I would really luv to make a tiny little room for this. I mostly make chevre my favorite !!! Also cottage and ricotta cheese. I bought the book goats produce too and its a wonderful book on using goat milk. It has great deserts to use your goats milk and cheese.
But raw milk is good for you in so many ways and if cow milk is a problem like it is with me than goats will fit the bill. And goats can be kept if a cow is to big for your lot.
Linda

Each day is precious...take a few of those minutes for yourself.
Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2008 :  09:29:29 AM  Show Profile
I will vouch for Aunt Jenny's (perfect) cow, Mona. That was the best milk I ever had! I've had goat's milk too, but my family didn't like it and I found that the taste varied so much from goat to goat that I wasn't willing to pay for "icky" milk. Maybe if I had my own and had consistent flavor... I have made cheese from goat's milk and really liked that. I wish there weren't so many legal issues tied to raw milk and more people could sell.
Sharon

Farmgirl Sister #74

Life is messy. Wear your apron!
Go to Top of Page

Linder
True Blue Farmgirl

592 Posts

Linda
Lake Forest IL
USA
592 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2008 :  09:29:53 AM  Show Profile  Send Linder a Yahoo! Message
Thanks Linda! I think when I get back from my birthday trip next week, I'll do some research on cheese making from goats milk and try my hand at it! OMG, this has me SO jazzed! I love projects like these.
Hey, can you or anyone reading this recommend a good source for learning cheese making?
Thanks!

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk to blossom
Go to Top of Page

Linder
True Blue Farmgirl

592 Posts

Linda
Lake Forest IL
USA
592 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2008 :  10:51:51 AM  Show Profile  Send Linder a Yahoo! Message
OK, I've done a little looking around and can't seem to find any books on making goat cheese. Any suggestion of where to find "recipes" or what books to buy? I'll post this question in the kitchen section too.
Thanks!

Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2008 :  12:28:31 PM  Show Profile
Hoegger supply company for goats has lots of different books on making cheese. I like the book "Goats produce too" She is really good at explaining how to make cheese in her book plus other stuff. Thats where I learned to make motzerella cheese. Hoegger supply and Caprine supply company have all kinds of cultures and stuff to make the cheese plus the books. You name it they have it.
As far as taste in goat milk. My Nubians taste like Jersey cow milk. I have had icky goat milk from Toggenburgs and others too but not since I purchased Nubies 16 years ago. Its absolutely delicious !!! I have not had any from Alpine or Sahnans(probably spelled wrong.lol) I know a few people that have those and they like it very well.

Theres also a book called the New England Cheesemaking book its pretty good too.
Definately check out Hoegger and Caprine. Good luck.
Linda

Go to Top of Page

Linder
True Blue Farmgirl

592 Posts

Linda
Lake Forest IL
USA
592 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2008 :  1:37:05 PM  Show Profile  Send Linder a Yahoo! Message
Thanks Linda! You're a gem.

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2008 :  4:57:38 PM  Show Profile
The book (Goats produce too) is my favorite for making goat milk cheese and I love the New England Cheesemaking book too (have both) the mozzarella recipe I use has a tutorial on that website....yum!!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Linder
True Blue Farmgirl

592 Posts

Linda
Lake Forest IL
USA
592 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2008 :  6:39:12 PM  Show Profile  Send Linder a Yahoo! Message
I went to Hoegger Supply like linda suggested and they have a cheese making starter kit! How awesome is that? It's 45.50 and apparently the shelp life on all the products they say you'll need to make cheese is 2 years AND they send the goat book "Goats produce too" I'm going to be making that purchase when I get back from my weekend in Minnesota! Brrrr.
Thanks so much for all the info and advice. Y'all are lovely!

Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2008 :  6:44:02 PM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
that cheese making kit is compleatly worth the money! go for it girl! i absolutly loved that kit. i was ocd about making cheese for awhile there...good thing my family loved eating it!

What we write today slipped into our souls some other day when we were alone and doing nothing.
-Brenda Ueland

http://quilandneedle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4195 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4195 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2008 :  7:22:43 PM  Show Profile
I got my starter kit from Hoegger Goat supply. I also got the cheese making book by Ricki Carroll. I was getting my supplies from Hoegger, and this year I ordered direct set from a Wisconsin company. For a year I made cheese using the buttermilk culture, but prefer using the direct set culture now. ( Meso) I had the best results using the Ricki Carroll book recipe for colby cheese. And the 30 min mozerella recipe. I found another recipe for cottage cheese that my family says really tastes like boughten. Okay tastes better then boughten, its homemade ! Good luck. Cheese making is not hard at all. It took me almost a year before I got a cheese press and that ia a really useful tool. Well worth it. I was trying to use a bowl, and weights, and just no comparision to using the press. Also do not store cheese in plastic. If you make pressed cheese, just wrap in cheese cloth and store that way. We trim off the hard outer skin that it forms. If you store in plastic you cheese would sour in about a week. Just a hint a guy told me, and his parents were master cheese makers.

Michele
Go to Top of Page

Leezard
True Blue Farmgirl

950 Posts

Elizabeth
Novi MI
USA
950 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2008 :  7:25:36 PM  Show Profile
Michele, would you mind emailing me your cottage cheese recipe? I've got a friend with goats and she's been making a few other soft cheeses but hasn't found a good cottage cheese recipe.

http://ruby--slippers.blogspot.com/
www.leezard.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4195 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4195 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2008 :  7:45:24 PM  Show Profile
Elizabeth, just got out the recipe and will do. Hope your friend enjoys it. I don't care for cottage cheese, but with the other recipes my boys complained it was like eating soggy cheese curds.

Michele
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4195 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4195 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2008 :  7:58:46 PM  Show Profile
Gee I just thought, I got the recipe from The Dairy Connection website. That was where I ordered my latest batch of mesophilic starter from. You can just log on there and print.

Michele
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2008 :  8:36:31 PM  Show Profile
Michele if you don't mind I would luv that recipe too !! If it not to much trouble.
Linder you will really like the book that comes in the kit. Its good for goat milk as well as cow milk. You can even email this lady who wrote the book if you have questions. I did and she answered. Its was very cool. I use a direct set for my chevre. I think that is my favorite cheese. I like to add a little powdered sugar, pinapple, and chopped walnuts to make a spread. Yummers !!
I also use the chevre to make cheese cake and one of the Goats produce too recipes called fudge ribbon cake. The more I think about it I might thaw some goat milk out and make some cheese so I can make that delicious cake. Its like rich chocolate cake with chevre cheese swirled through it.
Glad you found the website alright Linder. Hope you have fun when you get your kit... I know I sure did. Let me know how it goes and if you need any help just let me know. I'm no expert on cheese but can help you with the simpler ones. I hope to try the pressed cheeses this year. take care.
Linda

Go to Top of Page

Linder
True Blue Farmgirl

592 Posts

Linda
Lake Forest IL
USA
592 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2008 :  11:09:28 PM  Show Profile  Send Linder a Yahoo! Message
You gals are ROCKSTARS! I'm so excited. Thank you, thank you!

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4195 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4195 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2008 :  04:07:04 AM  Show Profile
I will post the recipe in the kitchen, cooking section, what ever it is called.

Michele
Go to Top of Page

Linder
True Blue Farmgirl

592 Posts

Linda
Lake Forest IL
USA
592 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2008 :  09:32:48 AM  Show Profile  Send Linder a Yahoo! Message
Hi Ladies!
I'm just back from the tundra...(Minnesota)and had a ball! My best friend introduced me to raw cream while I was visiting and it is nothing short of dreamy! She has a system where a gal in St. Paul travels to a farm in Wisconsin every week and buys raw milk, butter, cream etc. for a slew of people and then brings it back into town.
So cool to see how that works for everyone as my friend does the same thing and takes in orders for her friends and everyone gets their raw milk products without the hassle of driving to Wisconsin every week!
I'm going to do some investigating today to find out if I can get raw cream here in L.A.
Do any of you California farmchicks know if it's available anywhere around these parts?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Raw Milk Products Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page