Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Parenting & Farm Kids
 Spoke to Doc today about being ready for a baby...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Spoke to Doc today about being ready for a baby... Next Topic  

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2008 :  12:57:29 PM  Show Profile
My doctor is wonderful and she was very excited that I FINALLY wanted to talk about babies...she suggested a few things, and I was hoping that you farmgirl mom's could help with things that helped you before pregnancy--get into the mindset, without being all consumed by "conception"....I'm just not that girl.

I'm not young, but I don't want this to be a "do or die" situation, I'd like to let nature take it's course so to speak and see what happens. If we're blessed with a little one, then we are, but I don't want to be regimented to the calendar and "we have to do this right now, Jus, lay down" etc...I'd like to pay attention to those days and be relaxed about it. I just feel like I'd be setting myself up for disappointment if I wasn't pregnant after so much "orchestrated" effort, and frankly, that seems to take the fun out of it. I don't want to refer to it as "trying", either. Is that bad? I just like the idea of being happily surprised.

She told me to take folic acid. Is there anything else that you do to take care of your bodies, or to give yourself a boost?
Any natural teas or herbs that you recommend?

This is ALL new to me--I have to even figure out WHEN I ovulate, because I've been on the pill since I was 15...so, it's going to be a numerical challenge, but hopefully a fun one.

Has anyone else gone off the pill? What happens? Seriously, I don't know--I've never been off them. I guess you have break through bleeding probably almost immediately, I would think...

Anyway, any other helpful things that you girls can suggest would be wonderful. Any books that you've read, any exercises (for body and mind) that helped get you into the mental state you needed....

I dunno. Maybe I'm overthinking it.

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/

Peanut
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jennifer
Waverly Virginia
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2008 :  1:02:31 PM  Show Profile
A friend gave me:

Before Your Pregnancy
A 90 Day Guide for Couples on How to Prepare for a Healthy Conception

by: Amy Ogle and Lisa Mazzullo

It contains some great info and if it were mine, I'd send it on to you!

Letting nature take it's course is a great idea - sometimes you can get way too caught up in things and become stressed.

Panic Free Pregnancy is one of the best books I've ever read. It takes allll the stress and pressure out of conception and pregnancy. That book recommends sex 2-3 times a week, but not on any sort of schedule.

"What is a farm but a mute gospel?"
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2008 :  1:12:04 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi Jonni!

What I suggest is that you stop taking the pills during your next period. Or is you just barely had one to stop now. That way you will keep yourself on your normal cycle that your body and you are used to. Also, be prepared that you possible could get pregnant right away. I actually got pregnant while still on the pill 2x (miscarriages) so my doctor said I couldn't be on them anymore.

Another thing I would suggest is getting the "What to Expect when Expecting" book. It has lots of great information in it for an upcoming pregnancy as well as pregnancy itself. And like your doctor said, folic acid is really important. I also would suggest taking a pre-natal vitamin. It will help your body stock up on all those vitamins that you and maybe-baby-to-be will need! :D

Congrats on deciding to try for a baby! :D

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Please come visit Nora and I our our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com

Edited by - Alee on Jan 22 2008 1:12:48 PM
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2008 :  2:09:58 PM  Show Profile
Like you Jonni, I had been on the pill for awhile and my doc told me to not get excited for about four months while my body got used to normal cycles, etc. Ya right...2 weeks later, surprise! I didn't even have one period! For what it's worth, I was told that day 14 & 15 of your cycle, counting from day one of your period, is the most common fertile days among women. I would imagine there are wild variations on that though.
Do your own research on prenatal vitamins. While it's proven fact that folic acid prevents neural tube defects and I did take it, I could never understand why I had to take a synthetic multi-vitamin with iron when I wasn't anemic. Not only that, they made me feel pretty nauseated. I found natural source, organic food supplements worked far better for me.
It sounds like you have a great attitude about it all. Best wishes to you! A part of me envies that wonderful, wonderful, almost surreal experience you are about to embark on.

Hugs!
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2008 :  4:50:06 PM  Show Profile
Thanks so much, everyone. I am just going to take it all slowly and really try to just "be" in the moment. I will keep what you say "up front" in my mind, Diane!!! How very interesting--so soon after.

Whatever comes will, but I'm excited about the prospect

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
Go to Top of Page

Meg
Moderator/Farmgirl True

974 Posts

Meg
Idaho
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2008 :  5:31:45 PM  Show Profile
Oh, Jonni, and most importantly...Have fun!! Make sure to enjoy each moment of what you and your hubby are working on. another blush please... But really, from all I have heard and personal experience, enjoy the process and your odds are greatly improved.

Another website I found really useful was www.babycenter.com. It has ovulation calculators and due date calculators and weekly updates once you concieve and lots of other good stuff.

MaryJane's daughter,

Meg
megan@maryjanesfarm.org
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2008 :  8:51:33 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Meg! That's the way I feel about it for sure...some folks I've talked to who are my age (30's) just get so desperate and it seems to become more of a burden than a wonderful adventure...I

Great website. I'll have to do some studying up for sure! I've been relying on the "automatic birth control" clock for so very long, I've forgotten how to listen to my body!

If and when it happens, I know I'll have you girls to guide me on all the coolest cloth dipes and nifty things to make life easier!!!

Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2008 :  9:02:43 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Jonni- I am going to be 34 this year and we don't know how many more kids we want to have, if any. I am working on my physical, emotional and mental health this year. Take you time, enjoy it, breath, take it all in as you go. Keep a happy heart and you will be blessed in so many ways!!! I wish you the best!!!

Cheers,
Heather
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2008 :  9:04:38 PM  Show Profile
Good for you, Heather, and thank you. I wish you much joy and success in your personal goals this year. I know how important that truly is--to be whole is to be able to share with others.

Go to Top of Page

Canadian farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Lori
Ontario
Canada
482 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2008 :  08:53:09 AM  Show Profile
Once you body gets off the pills, it will resume its natural rhythm, and you should notice a thicker discharge at ovulation time. A really neat analogy I heard at a NFP session was "when the fields are wet, the seeds will grow." Apparently this is how it was explained to women in third world countries, and it makes sense!

Just relax and don't be stressed!

Lori
Go to Top of Page

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2008 :  11:02:19 AM  Show Profile
Congratulations on starting a new chapter of your life. The only recommendation I have is that if you are on the pill to use condoms for the first few months after stopping the pill. Though I know many people can conceive and have a healthy pregnancy straight off the pill I also know many who tried to get pregnant right after the pill and did, only to miscarry. Then all the rest of their pregnancies were normal. I've never been on the pill but I know that it must mess up the body somehow and I think it would be good to get your body back to normal for a month or two first. Will be waiting to hear your happy news though!
-Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2008 :  1:47:08 PM  Show Profile
Jonni, I have a great aaffirmation which I use with clients who are having or anticipating baby trouble. It works all the time. It is:
I am a strong, healthy woman capable of conceiving, carrying and delivering a strong, healthy baby." As with all affirmations, they are tools to focus your mind so devote your entire attention to it when you say it, say it often, and anticipate a wonderful experience!

Patricia
Proud farmgirl Sister #19

check out my etsy site http://ThePlayfulFarmgirl.etsy.com

Take me home, country roads
Go to Top of Page
  Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Spoke to Doc today about being ready for a baby... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page