True Blue Farmgirl

56 Posts

Anastasia
Telkwa BC
Canada
56 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2008 :  6:13:40 PM  Show Profile
Hi all,

I just wanted to share that I am pregnant with my first baby (I have a 5 year old stepdaughter as well, although she doesn't live with us) and getting more and more excited every day. I'm 25 weeks along now, due May 2nd. I think it's going to be an acrobat!!!! :)

I never really believed I'd get to a point in my life where I'd have the time or inclination to get pregnant, not that I didn't want kids but I just couldn't make that decision. When we did, we were lucky enough that it happened relatively quickly and all seems to be going well. I'm 37 now, will be 38 when the wee ones arrives. I can't get enough of adorable little baby things!

It's put me in a different head space. It's amazing to watch/feel my body do all of this without any conscious input from me.

Yes, so, just wanted to share. :) It's been awhile since I was on the boards so...

How did any of you handle your farm chores while pregnant? We have a hobby farm, no machinery, and it's tough sometimes, but all the other pregnancy listserves that I'm on seem to have only urban women on them and no one else shares our animal/wood heat/off-the-grid living style.

Hugs and happiness,
Anastasia :)

"Speciality is for insects." -Robert Heinlen

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2008 :  6:33:20 PM  Show Profile
Anastasia,

Congratulations to you! You remind me of my high school friend who now lives in NJ; she married at age 39 for the first time, and had her (and his) first baby at age 40...she's handling her career and motherhood better than even she expected.

I don't have a working farm so can't help you with tips about handling chores, but I'm sure there will be lots of input once the other Farmgirl momma's see this post.

Again, congratulations! Have your and your DH told his daughter that she is going to have a baby sister or brother? Wonderful news, thanks for sharing with us!

Jo

"Wish I had time to work with herbs all day!"
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2008 :  6:46:28 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Congrats Anastasia! Babies are such a wonderful gift! Nora has made my life so much better, I could never have guessed it! I didn't do farm chores once I was pregnant, but afterwards a sling or a "Snugli" front cary pack are a must. Also a really good baby monitor that has a long range so you can feel free to leave the house.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Please come visit Nora and I our our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2008 :  6:47:35 PM  Show Profile
That's great Anastasia! I miss those baby days so much! I had my last son when I was 36 and it was my best experience of all four. I was old enough to know to appreciate every little thing because by then I realized how fleeting this time is. Physically, I had to slow down a bit with this baby in my 30s, but DH helped and I just gave myself permission to relax a little and know that the most important thing was to take care of myself for that baby I was carrying. Again, congratulations!

Farmgirl Sister #98
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2008 :  7:47:12 PM  Show Profile
congratulations!

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
visit me at:
http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and at www.stliving.net
you can also check out my etsy shops at:http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

tziporra
True Blue Farmgirl

234 Posts

Robin
Seattle WA
USA
234 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2008 :  7:49:47 PM  Show Profile
Hi there and Congratulations! I'm due May 10th with our third baby, so I'm just a few days behind you.

We don't have a farm, but with my first pregnancy I managed to take care of my horse, including exercise (DON'T tell my midwives for heavens sake) through about 8 months. I had to stop using my sidesaddle at seven months, because I couldn't get my knee hooked over the pommel though.

My horse died shortly after the baby came, and we haven't replaced her :( Today I canned some jam (in the middle of January? It's a looooooooong story and I used frozen fruit) and realized why it's not a great idea to try and lug the boiling canner FULL OF WATER around the kitchen at 24 weeks pregnant. Ha!

Sorry I can't be more help than general advice -- stop and think carefully about your work before you start it (then maybe you won't be carrying the canner across the kitchen before you start thinking it was a bad idea), and if there are any doubts, don't do it. I was fearless on my horsey because I knew she'd never toss me, but I've had others I would have given up on the minute I knew I was expecting.

Best,

Robin

Go to Top of Page

Anastasia
True Blue Farmgirl

56 Posts

Anastasia
Telkwa BC
Canada
56 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2008 :  8:55:31 PM  Show Profile
Thanks to you all! I always like to hear about other women who had babies a bit later as well; it's encouraging. DH and I feel emotionally, financially, and just all around more stable here and now. We're so excited!!!

Haven't shared the news with my step-daughter yet; can't wait to see her face though. :) She'll be so excited! We have an extremely estranged relationship with her mother so we haven't even seen the wee girl since last August and have only managed to get her on the phone three times. :( But we keep trying...

And thanks for the suggestions about chores. I do try and think about things before I do them (REALLY!!) but I'm fighting that old guilt thing. DH is so great, so supportive, and so mad at me when I do something he thinks is overdoing it. :)

I am curious as to why the jam making kicked in in January... ;) Must avoid that... Hehehe. Made me laugh though! Hope you are okay?

I never really expected to be so impressed by my body, or so 'okay' with my changing shape. I can't wait to meet this little person. We don't know what we are having; we figured life has too little anticipation these days as it is. Sometimes, though, I wonder...

Anyway, thanks for sharing and being happy for me and just being!!!

Cheers, and a bit teary,
Anastasia :) xoxxoxo

"Speciality is for insects." -Robert Heinlen
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2008 :  07:20:22 AM  Show Profile
Anastasia, hang in there with the estranged relationship. As your stepdaughter grows older she will be more able to communicate directly with you. As long as you have a mailing address you can send love packages and silly cards, etc., especially after the baby comes and the baby can send his or her "own" mail (with a little transcribing and mailing assistance from you). Hopefully she will be able to be included in this special event in "her" life as much as possible.

Keep enjoying your pregnancy!

Jo

"Wish I had time to work with herbs all day!"
Go to Top of Page

Lavendar fields dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

1032 Posts

little monkeys mommy
washington
USA
1032 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2008 :  10:53:04 PM  Show Profile
congrats anastasia,
i think its lovely that your waiting, we did that with both of our girls and this time we found out that its a boy and a part of me was disappointed that i knew so early. But thankful cause i probably would have gravitated towards the girl stuff. i am pregnant with number three and due on febuary 26th but he may make an early arrival. cant wait to hear about your progress.

robin, lets here the jam story cause it would be great i can just tell. i used frozen raspberries this summer cause i didnt want to lose them.

lavendar girl
Go to Top of Page

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2008 :  11:06:23 AM  Show Profile
Hey, I am 25 weeks along too and due May 8th! This is our third one. Congrats!!!
-Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

tziporra
True Blue Farmgirl

234 Posts

Robin
Seattle WA
USA
234 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2008 :  7:25:31 PM  Show Profile
Okay, here's the jam story.... <I'm TOTALLY hijacking this thread>:

I'm on another board and in a pregnancy thread there is this girl, 36 weeks along and having contractions like crazy but not in labor and her water main exploded and she's going out of her mind, poor thing.

And she's craving strawberry waffles like crazy. Now, I put up whole strawberries in syrup in June and they are the PERFECT waffle topping, so I offer to send her a jar. But when I go to my cupboard to grab one I discover they were so perfect that WE'VE EATEN THE ENTIRE SUPPLY.

So, what to do? I can't just say, "sorry, no strawberries for you because I didn't check my pantry before making the offer." And I can't grab a jar from the grocery and send them because there really isn't a product like this available here... it's like jam, but the strawberries stay whole, and it's more syrup-y than jam.

So I went out and bought a bunch of frozen strawberries and canned them, 24 weeks pregnant in the middle of January. Hey, at least I didn't have to hull them this time around! My husband thinks I'm nuts, btw - feel free to share his opinion.

The good side is that I canned enough to last us a few more months as well ;) Strawberry waffles coming up Sunday morning!

Best,

Robin
Go to Top of Page

Lavendar fields dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

1032 Posts

little monkeys mommy
washington
USA
1032 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2008 :  8:50:44 PM  Show Profile
LOL now that is funny robin, definately something i would do offer something i thought i had and then find out its all gone. we have been using frozen strawberries for our pancakes. they are so delish, they were perfectley ripe when we picked them so they are unsweetened and all we do is defrost them.

lavendar girl
Go to Top of Page
  Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic My first baby Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page