Author Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Potty-Training a Boy? Next Topic  

HeathersHeartfeltStitches
True Blue Farmgirl

440 Posts

Heather
Lancaster OH
USA
440 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2008 :  1:49:17 PM  Show Profile  Send HeathersHeartfeltStitches a Yahoo! Message
I have gone thru the potty training with both girls..SO easy..Abigail practically trained herself in about 3 weeks but with our 2 year old son...I'm stumped! He wont even try! I have tried the underwear because he just goes in pull-ups, thank god we have hard wood floors! ANy suggestions..He is our last one..I just need to get thru this

http://www.picturetrail.com/photos/heathersstitches -SHOP
http://heathersheartfeltstitches.blogspot.com/

Peanut
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jennifer
Waverly Virginia
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2008 :  1:56:48 PM  Show Profile
Bribery? ;)

I potty trained a little boy who was afraid of the potty. He went in a bucket until he got used to it and then started using the potty.

I took him in the kitchen one day (any place away from the bathroom will work - I think it lessens the pressure) and I took his bottoms off. I put a bowl of water water and soap in a chair and a bucket under him. I had loaded him up with juice beforehand. We played in the water and bubbles until he peed in the bucket. He was shocked, but I clapped and hugged him and told him how good he'd done. Then he got a treat.

We continued in the kitchen for just a couple days, then the bucket was moved to the bathroom. Using the potty wasn't far behind.

"What is a farm but a mute gospel?"
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Edited by - Peanut on Jan 22 2008 1:59:43 PM
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2008 :  2:00:40 PM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
Good luck! Boys can be so much harder than girls, especially if they have a tendancy to be hardheaded to start with. My youngest son, didn't potty train until he was 3 1/3, and to get that I had to take some serious measures. He knew when he had to go, but refused to have his bm in the toilet and would laugh while he filled his drawers. Tired of being manipulated, I told him he was too old to be cared for like a baby and from now on he would be cleaned up in the back yard with a hose. It was early spring and the water from the hose was COLD. After two or three outdoor clean ups he decided that mama ment business and started using the toilet.

Ok, I didn't mean to compleatly discourage you. My oldest son wasn't so bad. I think it just takes boys longer to care that it does girls. If he is just barely 2, I wouldn't push it too much. Give him time and make a big fuss about being a big kid like sissy. Tell him that there are certain treats that only big kids get...ie going to work with grandpa, etc.. See if that motivagtes him.

What we write today slipped into our souls some other day when we were alone and doing nothing. Brenda Ueland

http://quilandneedle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

PlumCreekMama
True Blue Farmgirl

730 Posts

Heather
Iowa
USA
730 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2008 :  2:07:31 PM  Show Profile
My son turns 3 tomorrow and I haven't gotten very far either. I think if I could just get him to go just once on the toilet it would get easier. But he won't go. He just sits there. Sometimes he'll get up and go pee on the floor. He watches it and laughs. I might have to try Jennifer's idea.
Go to Top of Page

Firemama
True Blue Farmgirl

1731 Posts

Amanda
Medical Lake WA
USA
1731 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2008 :  2:09:40 PM  Show Profile  Send Firemama a Yahoo! Message
When we were potty training my little boy, we would put cherrios in the toilet and let him aim. LoL. I worked pretty quick.

Mama to 2
I am who I am
FarmGirl# 20

http://myfarmdreams.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2008 :  2:26:02 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Boys!!! UGH!!! I am not even attempting to potty train for another few months. DS turns 2 in March. I hope to have him trained by 3, now that would be the best birthday gift!!

Cheers,
Heather
Go to Top of Page

myfairlady636
True Blue Farmgirl

226 Posts

Janice
Fort Bridger WY
USA
226 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2008 :  2:26:36 PM  Show Profile
I know this sounds silly, but when you are home... try putting plain silky panties on him.. I know what you are probably thinking.. but they get cold when they are wet. Very uncomfortable for little guys and very noticable. What I found out about my little boys is that they get so involved in playing they don't think about other things that are going on.. isn't that just like a man! Nothing pink or lacy. just plain old white silky panties. Another thing that worked good for us was to let them change the color in the potty... I kept a package of food coloring in the bathroom, then he could change the water from blue to green, red to orange.... you know how it works. Also a small reward.. I used M&Ms or swedish fish.. just one for small jobs... 2 for big jobs. Good luck. So many kids so close together meant we had that potty chair for 8 long years!

My Fair Lady Farm Girl Sister # 92

"Our lives have meaning, purpose and direction"

http://millberrycottage.blogspot.com/

http://myfairlady636.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

MasterGardener
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

Chandra
Louisiana
USA
572 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2008 :  2:26:56 PM  Show Profile  Send MasterGardener a Yahoo! Message
My DH says they trained him with a coffee can (not many of those around these days) because it made noise and focused his aim...hope that wasn't TMI.

.• ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.•´ .•´¨¨))
((¸¸.•´ ..• -:¦:- -:¦:- Chandra
-:¦:- ((¸¸.•´Farmgirl Sister #64

She considereth a field, and buyeth it; with the fruit of her hands she planteth a vineyard.
Proverbs 31:16
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2008 :  3:33:59 PM  Show Profile
Hi, there, from a mother of two little boys - one of whom is toilet-trained during the day, and not at night. He's 4-1/2 years old. Don't stress yourself out, whatever you do. It'll happen. I finally "got" that with my oldest, and things have been much better. I found that with him, "wetting" outside in the summer was the way to rid him of the diaper habit. He LOVES to wet outside, and he couldn't get out of the diapers to do it, and I stopped helping him, so he would ask to wear undies. I said that was okay by me, but he had to do his "messes" on the toilet. It apparently was a deal -- anyway -- that's what worked for me (and for him), but I'm sure my littlest one will be different. They all are! Good luck! Oh - and I like the coffee can bit!

XOXO, Libbie

"Farmgirl Sister #10," and proud of it!!!
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2008 :  6:30:47 PM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
the mama who came up with the coffee can is one smart lady. wish i would have thought of that!

What we write today slipped into our souls some other day when we were alone and doing nothing. Brenda Ueland

http://quilandneedle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2008 :  7:54:01 PM  Show Profile
We did the cherrios, and also a little plastic boat from the dime store. We just left the boat floating in the "potty" and after each use you flush, it's "clean", and won't go down the hole! LOL The boys thought it was great.

I'm a one girl revolution.
Go to Top of Page

MustangSuzie
True Blue Farmgirl

634 Posts

Sarah
New London Missouri
USA
634 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2008 :  06:14:08 AM  Show Profile  Send MustangSuzie a Yahoo! Message
My first son could have cared less to use the potty. The second is so independent he did trained easily by going outside. I also used a reward jar with my second one. He has a huge sweet tooth so I would keep little candies and reward him everytime he went potty and was dry. My third son was the easiest, he saw what big brothers were doing and wanted to be big too and practically potty trained himself. I've that having an older brother or dad go with them really helps them to get it. Most of all I think that using cloth diapers/training pants are a great asset so that they can feel the difference right off from wet and dry.

Blessings....
Sarah

www.mustangsuzie.blogspot.com

Edited by - MustangSuzie on Jan 23 2008 06:18:08 AM
Go to Top of Page

ArmyWifey
True Blue Farmgirl

712 Posts

Holly
Abilene KS
712 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2008 :  07:07:56 AM  Show Profile
First off WAIT --- boys just generally potty train later than girls anyhow and 2 is a bit early. If he's resistant then it's just not time!
Secondly - it's easier in the summer if you can let them run around in just underpants or naked on the bottom half. Something about feeling wet that helps. I HATE pullups as my kids just saw them as diapers.
Third - bribery helps but will not cut it if they aren't ready. A potty chart with stickers, m&m's, cheerios in the potty to aim at,the boat's cute but make sure it won't flush first, changing colors,etc.
FOurth - unless Dad is home and willing to help, train him to go sitting down first and tuck it in. Then once he's mastered control you can move to standing up.

Seriously I would wait until summer and try again. Why add that stress to your life? No kid has gone to college in diapers.

Blessings,

Holly

As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord!

http://timsarmywifey.blogspot.com

Edited by - ArmyWifey on Jan 23 2008 07:10:28 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Potty-Training a Boy? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page