PocketFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

119 Posts

Sarah
Utica New York
119 Posts

Posted - May 04 2008 :  4:58:25 PM  Show Profile
Graves' Plot is funny! I like it!

You live in Lancaster? I lived there from 2001-2006. Loved it. We're in upstate NY now.

Our little homestead is Bread and Roses Farm. I was inspired by an old union song which used that phrase to describe the idea that we aren't truly living unless both our bodies and our souls are fed. That's the spirit behind a lot of my family's choices...one (full-time) income, homeschooling, small-scale organic farming and a LOT of sweat equity, LOL!

Strangely, David Austin roses are part of what made that connection for me. I've had them as long as I've been growing roses, and my favorites are the coppery Pat Austins. I'd love to have a Heritage again, though. And a Prioress...
Go to Top of Page

ErinW
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

Erin
Corbeil ON
Canada
17 Posts

Posted - May 05 2008 :  7:39:05 PM  Show Profile
Sadly, I am lacking an actual farm, being still a teenager... living with my parents... in a forest... in zone 3... on the Canadian Shield (ROCKS!)... in a township that requires you to have 25 acres before you can raise so much as a chicken (I dream of raising chickens). However, I take solace in taming chipmunks and carving out a woodland garden, which I named Shadowlurk.
Go to Top of Page

joanieh
Farmgirl in Training

29 Posts

Joan
Brinnon WA
USA
29 Posts

Posted - May 07 2008 :  08:34:00 AM  Show Profile
That's a neat name! Do you like where you are living now? If not, where would you like to live? I have lived in Washington State my whole life, and although I have seen some wonderful places in the world, I could not imagine living anywhere else. We have put so much work into our place over the past twenty years, I could never leave it. I am here for life!
Go to Top of Page

ErinW
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

Erin
Corbeil ON
Canada
17 Posts

Posted - May 07 2008 :  8:18:57 PM  Show Profile
I do love where I live, though moving a few kilometers to a township with more lenient bylaws would not be a bad thing. I actually spent five months in New Zealand a few years ago, and even though I loved absolutely everything about the country, I couldn't stop missing Northern Ontario. I love my cold lakes and tree-covered hills and, yes, the rocks. And I love long winters because they make Spring so amazing. I've thought about going a little further South, off the Shield, where there are really picturesque, historical towns and the ground produces more, but I don't know if I ever will. We'll see.
Go to Top of Page

horse
True Blue Farmgirl

371 Posts

laura
pontotoc mississippi
USA
371 Posts

Posted - May 10 2008 :  6:11:21 PM  Show Profile
We are called 2lmzfarms because my name is Laura and hubby's is Lamar so that is where our 2 L's come from and the mz is because of our last name Morrison. So is you read it, it sounds like 2 l m's. I even have it on my tag.lol
Laura
www.2lmzfarms.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

farmgirlkate
True Blue Farmgirl

167 Posts

kate
bryan TX
USA
167 Posts

Posted - May 26 2008 :  2:15:50 PM  Show Profile
My little place is named Holly Hedges Farm-coz right now, that's about all that grows!!
I think the Graves Plot is kinda cute myself ..

katie

"It's never too late to be what you might of become"
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 26 2008 :  3:57:32 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Laura- I always thought it was "Two Llamas farms"

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Sarahpauline
True Blue Farmgirl

672 Posts

sarah
Ringgold GA
USA
672 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2008 :  4:44:31 PM  Show Profile
I like Graves Plot. I think its cute in a macabre sort of way.

we are here at Abraxas Baroque, but only because that describes the baroque horses we breed. My son and I made a little plaque to hang on the front porch that says "tumbledown Cottage" because that is truly what it is.

Not all those who wander are lost...
Go to Top of Page

FarmWife410
Farmgirl in Training

26 Posts

Rie
Upstate NY
USA
26 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2008 :  7:30:17 PM  Show Profile  Send FarmWife410 an AOL message
Winndy Hill Farm....our last name is Winn and we are on top of a hill and it's always windy up here!
Rie

~Rie~
http://whfarm.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

mrsmorgen
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

morgen
coudersport pa
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2008 :  4:33:40 PM  Show Profile
We are trying to buy a farm right now and if it works out we already have it named. We are going to call it Counting Blessings Farm! Cause I will never forget what a blessing it is to live there!
Morgen

I am beginning to learn that it is the sweet, simple things of life which are the real ones after all..
laura ingalls wilder

www.laubers.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

caro
Farmgirl in Training

37 Posts

Carol
Princeton Indiana
USA
37 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2008 :  12:52:15 PM  Show Profile
I love reading how the farms were named. We named ours, too, long before it was a reality and still a "dream". However, last year we sold it and moved to the city. Haven't named this place--nothing suits except "Where We Used to Live". We still have the sign we had made with the farm's name--and will be planting it again when we return to the country! And I love Graves Plot!!! And so many other of the creative names.
Go to Top of Page

handyam
True Blue Farmgirl

394 Posts

Ada Mae
Greensburg KY.
USA
394 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2008 :  5:42:36 PM  Show Profile
In our area farms are know by who owns them or who use to own them. They are called "So and So's Place", like our is known as "The Buck Ingram Place". Not many people actually name their farm. I wanted to name ours "On the Line Farm" because the county line runs through our property. My husband just turned up his nose. I let it drop!!!!

www.adasadorableaprons.blogspot.com

This is the day that the Lord has made.
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2008 :  07:48:07 AM  Show Profile
Our farm name is Cooke Creek Sheep Company...we irrigate from Cooke Creek and we raise sheep, so guess it gives a general location and what we raise as well. Funny, because the locals know it's pronounced "cook" but sheep friends from other parts call it "cookie". It's pronounced "cook", named after a local pioneer around here. Cookie Creek doesn't "flow" (pun intended) off the tongue too easily like Cooke Creek.

I like "quirky" names, like Heather's The Graves Plot...I think it's funny cute myself.

Jami in WA
Go to Top of Page

lizbeth
Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

Beth
NC
7 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2008 :  09:16:25 AM  Show Profile
Hey y'all from Sweetwater Farm, 3 acres of former farm land in eastern NC. My husband and his best friends dug our well while I was at home with our 3 kids. He brought me a Pepsi bottle full of well water and my first words were "That is some sweet water." I don't know if it actually tasted that good or if it tasted that good because it was ours. Anyway, the name stuck.
I loved reading all of y'alls stories.
Beth

Wear the old coat and buy the new book.
Go to Top of Page

Ga Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2355 Posts

Karen
Meansville Ga.
USA
2355 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2008 :  11:56:53 AM  Show Profile
Never named my 2acre plot, but you sure have made me think about naming it. Loved hearing all the stories about how you all named your farms. Ill let you know when I come up with a name. To bad the funny farm has been taken! Ha!
Karen
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2008 :  8:52:35 PM  Show Profile
Beth, I chose "Sweet Well" for our farm, which coincidentally is also three acres (though tending them often feels more like tending 300). Our well water is truly sweet, like yours. People even ask if they can take some home with them -- and not just "city folk," either!

Edited by - Rosemary on Jun 18 2008 8:57:16 PM
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Princess
True Blue Farmgirl

1075 Posts

Jodi
Washington
USA
1075 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2008 :  07:33:09 AM  Show Profile
Karen, maybe we should do 'Funny Farm I, Funny Farm II' etc... because it would suit my place just perfect, too!

Reading this thread has me wanting to name my new little place once I get settled after my move. But it's not a farm *sniff*. Just a little bungalow on a city lot... *sigh* Someday!!

~Jodi

"Women are like teabags...you never know how strong they are until they get into hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

ontargetlisa
Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

Lisa
Sandusky Michigan
USA
7 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2008 :  12:25:50 PM  Show Profile
Ours is unofficially called "The Charm Farm", because its a haven for rescued animals and we all got here on our charm. Love mutts and mixed breeds, and finding forever homes for the animals is our main goal. Because we don't have a working barn right now, we don't have our llamas, alpacas, chickens, sheep and goats yet, but someday, we will. First things first...restoring the house was a 6 year job, and now we are rebuilding a barn. For now, its only as many as I can hold in my "cat house", which is actually our pump house/rescue spot for an animal at a time. But Sparky the westie, Broo the beagle, J.D. the Heinz 57 Lab/corgi/??? mix, two grey cats, Bill and Wisner, and our little compost maker, Boo Radley the bunny are keeping us company forever. A little calico comes around for dinner every night, but is still to shy to domesticate.

If anyone is looking for a really good Basset Hound, a friend of ours has a 3 year old named Bob who needs a forever home. He is housebroken, has all his shots, and is in great form, just the family had a baby and the baby is allergic to the dog.

Let's make the world a more beautiful and healthy place!
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2008 :  5:06:48 PM  Show Profile
Graves Plot is GREAT! However remember my farm is Larkspur Funny Farm so that will tell you I am not always on the side of normal. I named it after the movie "Funny Farm" with Chevy Chase because my husband when he did anything outside was as a bummbling fool. The first place we hade in the country he rode the riding mower into the fence and after I got him out and he assured me that he know what he was doing he again went right into the fence. There are a hundred stories like that so when I purchased this farm after his passing my two yound sons and I only thought it was fitting. Remember is it much easier to laugh then cry and it does hurt to be a little bit touched.

I have posted some new pictures of the farm - way too hot to be outside so I am sitting with my barefeet on the concert shop floor and typing away. Good luck and happy naming.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

soshine
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

Kathy
Tennessee
4 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2008 :  10:26:06 AM  Show Profile
A friend of mine was gonna name her farm after the Ash Tree and sink hole located on the property...her suggestion...Ash Hole. I think they settled for something less offensive! Keep Smiling!

This little light of mine...
Go to Top of Page

dargaonfly1054
True Blue Farmgirl

257 Posts

Georgette
Nicholville NY
USA
257 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2008 :  11:44:31 AM  Show Profile
Hi y'all...........from northern New York State. My five and a half acres would be named Dragonfly Lane Acres........due to the fact that my "business" of gourd art is called Dragonfly Lane Gourds. Or maybe I'd just call it Dragonfly Lane Gourd Farm. Although I tried starting gourd seeds this spring and had horrible luck, so we don't grow gourds....

"There is a voice that doesn't use words........Listen."
Go to Top of Page

Caron
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

Caron
Orange Texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2008 :  11:52:02 AM  Show Profile
"If anyone is looking for a really good Basset Hound, a friend of ours has a 3 year old named Bob who needs a forever home. He is housebroken, has all his shots, and is in great form, just the family had a baby and the baby is allergic to the dog."

Oh! I love Bassets! I have a female but she's a little bit older than Bob, she is 9. I hope he finds a wonderful home!

Caron

"Praise God from whom all blessings flow"
Go to Top of Page

Friendly Haven
Farmgirl in Training

13 Posts

Jacqueline
Venersborg WA
USA
13 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2008 :  12:14:05 AM  Show Profile
We've owned our farm for seven years now. The farm's nearly a hundred years old and always been organic. We are the second owners. Lucky us! We live in a teeny little village, no commercial buildings. Just a general store that's been closed for eight years, a one room schoolhouse and a one room church. Our town road ends in the Cascade Foothills in southwest Washington about a mile further up the road from our farm. If we get too quiet out here, we can drive in to Portland OR which is about 45 minutes away. We like living in such a rural area but being able to go to the city when we want to.

This little village used to be a Swedish settlement. They made it that way by advertising this area for sale but only printing up flyers in Swedish. They posted them in east coast cities and Swedish settlers headed on out. The name of our town is Venersborg which means A Haven for Friends. Our land has some rolling hills on it so we named it Friendly Haven Rise Farm.

Have a look at our farm site.
www.FriendlyHaven.com

warmly,
Jacqueline
Go to Top of Page

Jeanna
True Blue Farmgirl

267 Posts

Jeanna
Franklin NC
USA
267 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2008 :  06:27:50 AM  Show Profile
We are not very original. We named or rather my husband named our farm 4m Farm. Our last name is Morgan and there are 4 of us. I like naming the farm by farms personality. Of course right now are farm is kind of on hold. We do have 4 cows and 2 show steers, but they are not at our home. I also have a small flock of chickens. I want another milk goat or two. Maybe soon.

Jeanna
Farmgirl Sister #41

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined.
Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

rose hill farm
Farmgirl in Training

21 Posts

Jule Ann
Rhineland Missouri
USA
21 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2008 :  3:56:39 PM  Show Profile  Click to see rose hill farm's MSN Messenger address
Even before we found the farm we had the name........Rose Hill Farm. Knowing that our dreams would some day come true! It has been our email forever. Now we are LIVING the dream on our little 10 acre farm......"Rose Hill".......We have 2 horses, 3 donkeys, 4 dogs and several farm cats. To us it is the most beautiful place on earth....We joined the local Rose Society so that we could plant our "roses" on the top of the hill of ROSE HILL FARM. If you dream it and BELIEVE, pray and have faith....it will come!

Donkeys for Peace!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Have you Named Your Farm? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page