goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2008 :  8:03:25 PM  Show Profile
Welp, I don't want a big ranch anymore but a small place. I like the name "El Rancho $um-Dayo". Get it?? I think it's clever...hehehe...

When we had our other place, we had the Flying Double G. Our last name starts with a G. Not very original but the insigia/logo was two G's intertwined.

Winona :-)

When you lose, don't lose the lesson!!

Go to Top of Page

gidgets.farm
Farmgirl at Heart

2 Posts

carrie
neerim south Victoria
Australia
2 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2008 :  11:56:35 PM  Show Profile
Hi our 20 acres down under is called 'Rebaj park' there is an accent on the 'a' but I dont know how to make the puter do it. I came up with it as R, B, & J are my kids initials. The place was 'el rancho' when we got here but that name got relegated to the machinery shed real quick. Carrie.
Go to Top of Page

carmeniris
Farmgirl in Training

24 Posts

Carmen
Little Falls Minnesota
USA
24 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2008 :  05:24:27 AM  Show Profile
I really like your choice. It stands out so people will be able to remember it. Like others, I agree you should think of things to do during the month of October to attract customers. Of course, you need to plan for the other months also if you want to make a living. If you think things out you can do it without having to farm a lot of land, just go with specialty items. As to mine, it's called Most Splendid Microfarm. (Most Splendid had been my registered business name for years but I think it fits perfectly with my tiny farm.)
Go to Top of Page

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2008 :  10:14:36 AM  Show Profile
We call our place the Moodranch - where almost everyone is almost always in a bad mood, though the motto doesn't really suit the place any more.(My children went through an extremely cranky phase in their early teens). I like Graves Plot.
Go to Top of Page

Peanut
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jennifer
Waverly Virginia
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2008 :  08:01:32 AM  Show Profile
We live adjacent to a sandy beach on a swamp called "Indian Island" - it used to be a retreat for Native Americans. I'm thinking of using that name for a blog or website to sell my cotton.

"What is a farm but a mute gospel?"
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

yasmine
True Blue Farmgirl

173 Posts

yasmine
wappingers falls ny
USA
173 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2008 :  3:05:54 PM  Show Profile
ours is Bunny Hill Farm, upstate ny
pony!
chickens
nigerian dwarf goats
rabbit

Edited by - yasmine on Feb 19 2008 3:06:32 PM
Go to Top of Page

rain4nights
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

Bess
Cleveland OH
USA
17 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2008 :  08:05:14 AM  Show Profile
DH and I name everything! Our cars have names, our coffeepot has a name (affixed with label-maker tape), our cats probably have a half-dozen nicknames each. We used to raise hamsters, and each of their cages had a different name: Hamalot, the Hamtons, Little Hamsterdam... and we would decorate them accordingly with hamster-huts in different styles. We are trying to buy our first home now, and farm or not, it will have a name too. It's just so much fun, and a good creative exercise. If only it were so easy to name my art pieces...

---------------
Love cooking, canning and locally produced food?
Show your pride: www.cafepress.com/glassharts
Go to Top of Page

napafarmhouse1885
True Blue Farmgirl

208 Posts

diane
napa ca
USA
208 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2008 :  09:53:34 AM  Show Profile
when we saw our farmhouse for the first time it immediately reminded both my husband and i of our grandmothers..the fig trees reminded me of my maternal grandmother caused we always played in her trees when we were kids...the garden reminded us of all our grandmothers..they always had kitchen gardens...many..many more things provided great memories.

we named our farmhouse bella asunta..which in italian means beautiful susan..susan was my husband's maternal grandmother..but the house was named in honor of all of our grandmothers.

best,
napafarmhouse1885
www.napafarmhouse1885.blogspot.com

"Whatever you can do or dream, begin it"
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Go to Top of Page

corporatefarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

389 Posts

Tamara
Pikeville TN
USA
389 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2008 :  06:41:45 AM  Show Profile
Ours is The Good Earth Farm - because the earth provides such good things for us.

there is a seed to plant in every heart
Go to Top of Page

Brew Crew
True Blue Farmgirl

676 Posts

Molly
Arizona
676 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2008 :  3:12:22 PM  Show Profile
We jokingly talked about how we all belong at the funny farm, and that's what our place became known as-- The Funny Farm!

"There is a Happy Dale far, far away. . ." -Arsenic and Old Lace
Go to Top of Page

GeerdesGirl
Farmgirl at Heart

2 Posts

Danielle
Hartley IA
USA
2 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2008 :  09:18:24 AM  Show Profile
LOL!! I don't know if I'd have the nerve to step onto your farm... Just kidding. That's really funny. I did name my farm. Its "Paradise Farms". It's not much YET, but soon to be.
Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
Smoky Mountains Tennessee
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2008 :  8:46:35 PM  Show Profile
My first farm's name back in 1990 was Morning Mist.

My Second farm's name was Heaven's Dream and my business name was Heaven's Dream Cottage.

My Next and final cabin in the woods will naturally be called Dream Kingdom...that has been decided for about 4 years.

Every place has special qualities that reflect it's eventual name. I'll know "dream kingdom" when I see it!

Stephanie
www.queenofdreamsz.blogspot.com
www.dreamkingdomdesigns.blogspot.com
www.dreamkingdomdesigns.com
Go to Top of Page

Sagewood
True Blue Farmgirl

106 Posts

South Carolina
106 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2008 :  03:39:33 AM  Show Profile  Send Sagewood a Yahoo! Message
(waving hi!)
Yep, we call our Sagewood Farm. I don't realy remember too much of how it got it's name. I was just kinda looking for one one day, and boom, that one popped in there, and stuck.
We've been on the place for about 10 years, and it's just shy of 2 acres, but it's all I need. :)

Sage
Hiding in the broom closet (my craft room!)
http://sagewoodfarm.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

landmoswalt
Farmgirl at Heart

1 Posts

Lori
Muscotah Kansas
USA
1 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2008 :  5:13:32 PM  Show Profile
Our farm name is "Thorn Acres" due to our first kid born on our farm came from Rose and being a buck we could not come up with a flower name so his name was Thorn. Later he became our first taste of goat meat. And boy have we gotten into a bunch of thorns starting out on our own farm.
Go to Top of Page

ajplmama
Farmgirl in Training

13 Posts

Alicia
Halifax Nova Scotia
Canada
13 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2008 :  06:23:58 AM  Show Profile
We're trying to think of a farm name now. The land we bought was called the Old Cole Farm for the people who lived there 40 years ago. Way before that it marked the border of the community we live in. My Dh's step Mom's mother (got that?) was actually born in a 2 room house that used to stand by our pond. We'd like to incorporate some of the history but nothing is coming to mind.

My son is hoping to sell some eggs and maybe goat meat later so he thinks he needs a farm name. Our last name is Lushington so he's considering Lush Acres.
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2008 :  8:31:02 PM  Show Profile
I chose "Sweetwater." Probably it's not a name unique in all the world, but we are blessed with truly delicious well water, thus the name. People even ask to be able to take some back to the city with them in jugs.
Go to Top of Page

Moonsanity
True Blue Farmgirl

107 Posts

Brenda
Michigan
USA
107 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2008 :  10:20:21 AM  Show Profile
I love all the names mentioned. Since I was younger-- well, the last 20 years or so I wanted to have a farm called Willow Tree Farm or Willow Tree Herbs. We have no willow trees now that we actually have acreage, so I'm thinking I need to work on that. BAHAHAHAHAHA

~Brenda
Journey of Grace and Whimsy
http://grace-whimsy.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2008 :  10:15:11 AM  Show Profile
It took FOREVER for me to finally come up with a name for our farm. I had so many wonderful names picked out, but every time I "Googled" one, a hundred or more places with the same name would pop up. I was about ready to give up when I happened to be browsing through a David Austin rose catalog one day (My FAVORITE flowers!!!)

The roses have such interesting names and there is an explaination as to who, or what, each rose was named for. On one page was a small white rose with a hint of pink around the edges called "Wild Eve." I was very intriqued, and kept going back to it. It was named after something from the book "Return of the Native" written eons ago. I've never read the book, but I would like to someday, just out of curiosity.

Anyway, our farm became known as "WildEve Ranch." I have not ordered any of the roses that inspired the name, but I will as soon as I figure out WHERE to plant them!!! Tracy
Go to Top of Page

MullersLaneFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

596 Posts

Rock Falls IL
596 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2008 :  08:36:00 AM  Show Profile
Muller's Lane Farm

Last name is Muller

There is a long orchard lined lane from the road to the house.

Made sense to us at the time

Cyndi
Muller's Lane Farm http://www.mullerslanefarm.com
Go to Top of Page

N Marie
True Blue Farmgirl

102 Posts

Marie
Seattle Washington
USA
102 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2008 :  9:22:02 PM  Show Profile
"Graves Plot." I think it's a brilliantly clever idea. If someone complains that it is too morbid, then just shrug it off. At least one–or both–of you isn't a mortician. Wish I could do something clever with my name that people could automatically catch on to. My last name supposedly means "shepherd" in Greek, so it's not immediately obvious to anyone other than Greeks who know the meanings of surnames. I've also kind of set my heart on hyphenating my name with the name of future hubby, (I want to keep my name in the family line) so that wouldn't work well for a cute name, either.

Though, actually having the farm to begin with is usually the order of such things...

Farmgirl #181
http://yarnfoodcoffee.typepad.com/
Save the tuna! Eat more prey fish!
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/06/070624132617.htm

The Age of Discovery in a Nutshell:
-I claim this land in the name of England.
-You can't claim it, we live here!
-Do you have a flag?...

Edited by - N Marie on Apr 30 2008 9:24:54 PM
Go to Top of Page

joanieh
Farmgirl in Training

29 Posts

Joan
Brinnon WA
USA
29 Posts

Posted - May 02 2008 :  9:35:54 PM  Show Profile
Ours is "Overbrook Farm." It came about because, in our county once there are a certain number of addresses on a road, it has to have a name. All the property owners on the road have to give three suggestions, and then the county picks three they like, and the property owners vote. Overbrook Lane became the name of the dirt road our farm was on, so we just adopted that as our name. Before the road was named, I had thought of calling it "Brambleberry Farm" because of all the salmonberry and blackberry, but I really like Overbrook now.
Go to Top of Page

craftychick06
True Blue Farmgirl

71 Posts

Darlene
fennville Mi
USA
71 Posts

Posted - May 04 2008 :  06:05:23 AM  Show Profile
I like that name!! Whatever feels right for you is the key it is your farm and your little piece of heaven. I named our farm "CHICKEN SCRATCH FARM" because we have yes chickens but alot of other stuff. I do the primitive handpainted stuff, we have the produce and fruits, and also some garden things so a little of this and that. My sign at the end of our driveway is a big standing one with a chicken and whimsical wording. I truly feel blessed and lucky to live on this 15 acres where i grew up it is a real sense of home.
and yes have fun with your farm!!

**LIVE LIFE JOYFULLY**
Go to Top of Page

lovingewe
True Blue Farmgirl

212 Posts

marlyn-neleh
norwood Ontario
Canada
212 Posts

Posted - May 04 2008 :  08:48:41 AM  Show Profile
Ours is names "Kideweall"
Kid because of all the children, ewe because we started the farm with sheep and all for all the other animals and things we have on the farm.
I wanted to call it " Riskinbrook" but DH didn't like it. Sort of like naming your children you never agree. Just fill in the birth certificate and tell DH afterwards.

Neleh www.4eweall.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

joanieh
Farmgirl in Training

29 Posts

Joan
Brinnon WA
USA
29 Posts

Posted - May 04 2008 :  09:17:45 AM  Show Profile
Kideweall, I like it. It has the pun aspect, but sounds kind of British. So does Riskinbrook. Isn't this a great time of year. I took a 3 mile walk before anyone got up this morning, and it was heavenly. I could not believe all the trilliums! And a winter wren sang on a stump right in front of me! I see and hear much more when I am by myself and it's quiet...
Go to Top of Page

marmieto12
True Blue Farmgirl

213 Posts

laura
utah
USA
213 Posts

Posted - May 04 2008 :  09:32:54 AM  Show Profile
I too think "Grave's Plot" is great!

Our "farm" is Lil's Family Farm..named after my 1st goat who was so sweet and gentle. She died with her 2 kids in utero from milk fever. It was a sad time and happened during a difficult time in our life. So Lil's stuck...

I have been playing with names too..my husband's work email became "theway"..1st 3 letters of last and first name. The company auto makes the address. We thought it was funny. So I thought of "The Whey" or " No Whey" (from comments like are all of those kids yours)... corny?

Just have fun! It is great to hear from others who have named their place and why.

Laura;Dreaming of big girl farm...

Farmgirl # 148

http://lilsfamilyfarm.blogspot.com

Chapter http://justsimplythegirls.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Have you Named Your Farm? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page