Page: of 2

bohemiangel
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Bridget
Ligonier pa
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2008 :  11:32:59 AM  Show Profile  Send bohemiangel an AOL message  Click to see bohemiangel's MSN Messenger address  Send bohemiangel a Yahoo! Message
How do you all save on Groceries?

**~~Farmgirl Sister #60~~**
"... to thine ownself be true."
http://liggygirl.blogspot.com/
http://liggygirlslonggreen.blogspot.com/

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2008 :  12:43:03 PM  Show Profile
I am a single Mom, and have to feed a bottomless pit of a teenaged boy. Money is tight sometimes.

Number one tip: a LIST of what you absolutely need.
Second Tip: Coupons. I only clip the ones I know I will use.
Third Tip: Don't overlook store brands either. Some are very good quality.
Fourth Tip: Shop the perimeter of the store. It really is a lot cheaper to cook from scratch.

Ellie Kay has written several books on the subject.
Off the top of my head (I am at work) one of the titles is called "Shop, Save and Share". Your local Library should have a copy.

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2008 :  12:49:38 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
We get by on about $150 a month for 2 adults and a 10 month old.

I shop mainly the perimeter of the store as Kate suggested, I buy meat that is on clearance because it is about to expire. It's all going in the freezer anyway so I don't mind. I also buy the 70/30 hamburger instead of lean because we just drain the fat off anyhow.

I make my own spaghetti sauce etc instead of buying it. I buy lots of fruits and veggies.

We don't make a list normally but that is becasue we buy the same stuff over and over.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Please come visit Nora and I our our new blog:
http://FarmgirlAlee.blogspot.com" target="_blank"> http://FarmgirlAlee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Duchess
True Blue Farmgirl

109 Posts

Iowa
USA
109 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2008 :  1:14:40 PM  Show Profile
The tip about the store brands is a valid one. Many of the companies package for many different brands, it is the same ingredients just different box. One glaring one is milk, comes out of same silo they just change jugs. Had a friend who worked for spice company, same deal. Don't be blinded by name brands, most of the time there is not a huge difference. My husband works for company that makes the ingredients for many brands, all the same stuff. One big wake up is the pet food disaster, showed lots of people that the pricey brands they bought had the same ingredients as cheaper brands.

http://theclarkhomestead.blogspot.com/

http://Duchess56051.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2008 :  2:43:43 PM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
Bulk up! I buy beans, grains, nuts, and spices in bulk at the healthfood store for far less than the packaged ones at the grocery.

It sounds so good to hear myself laugh. --Rascal Flats, "No Reins"
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2008 :  2:53:34 PM  Show Profile
I buy things in bulk, and buy fresh things..not much prepared stuff at all. It seems like more to buy fresh real ingredients, but the health of your family is worth so much more!! I use coupons, but only on things I would have bought already anyhow, and shop the perimeter of the store. I read labels and stock up on things on sale when I can. We get buy pretty cheap for 2 adults and 4 pre teen big eater kids.
I try really hard to not buy something pre made if I can easily make it myself...I try to ask myself as I put each thing in the cart if I could make this myself. It helps me alot.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2008 :  5:30:21 PM  Show Profile
I plan my menu for 2 or 3 weeks at a time so that I can use leftover spaghetti sauce in chili one day and on a pizza a few days later. Leftover string beans go into a soup the next day, etc. I even buy my milk (skim only) and put what I will use later into the freezer so that I do not have to set foot in a store again until the two or three weeks is up. You know how that "quick trip" ends up costing 100 bucks? No more of that for us. Since the summer, I have literally saved at least a thousand dollars while feeding at least 4 to 6 people (all adults) every night.

As far as fresh veggies go, I will freeze whatever will go bad within that time, or I use frozen vegetables. During the summer, we grow or trade most of it.

My quilting and life blog!!
http://downtoearthliving.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

SarahJ
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Shreveport Louisiana
198 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2008 :  06:12:59 AM  Show Profile
We shop every two weeks, and before I go I plan every meal, side dish, snack, etc. A list prevents buying things you think you need but never use. Also, I always eat before I go, because I am one of those people that will buy everything if I shop hungry.

I try to plan meals so that ingredients "cross." (I never buy a more expensive item if it is only for one meal. It has to be able to go into another recipe to justify the expense). For example, if I buy heavy cream, I will plan for Alfredo, Chicken a la King, AND pork chops with mustard cream sauce within that grocery period.

I avoid most "convienece" items. For example, the bagged lettuce costs 1.50 more than buying the head of romaine. I do not buy preshredded cheeses (cheese slices being an exception for sandwiches), frozen dinners, precut veggies, etc.

I buy meat in bulk and foodsaver it.

I make sure we plan to eat the meals with the most immediately perishable items first, so we don't lose food to spoilage.

We often have leftovers, so I plan at that we must have a "leftover night." If the leftovers are enough for another meal, and freezable, I will freeze them.

And if money is really tight, we have a night of "breakfast for dinner" because scrambeled eggs, grits, bacon and biscuits is cheap to make.

I buy the store brand on everything but those items that I am really picky about. (no generic Diet Coke for me!)

Overall, I think good meal planning is the key. It is work. It takes me a good hour to make my grocery list and meal plan, but it is worth it.

SarahJ

Farmgirl Sister #116
Go to Top of Page

chicken necker
True Blue Farmgirl

509 Posts

Sherry
Eastern Shore Maryland
USA
509 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2008 :  06:43:30 AM  Show Profile  Send chicken necker an AOL message
Wait for someone in the meat department to goof up on the pricing! This actually did happen last summer. Rib eye steaks were on sale for 5.99 a lb in the larger "Buy More, Save More" packages, but the tickets were done up at 2.99 a lb on several packs. I bought two and practically ran to the car like I stole them! At first I felt a little guilty, but like on another post somewhere here, stores would make me pay a higher price if that's what the computer says and not the tag. So I figure I got an even deal.
But seriously, having a freezer and buying in bulk when the good stuff is on sale is the best money saver for us.

I love deadlines. I especially like the whooshing sound they make as they go flying by. ~anon
Go to Top of Page

Peanut
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jennifer
Waverly Virginia
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2008 :  07:04:00 AM  Show Profile
I know it isn't feasible for everyone, but if you have access to wild game it will save a ton.

My husband deer hunts and we figured that we spend about $1.25/lb on venison. It really, really helps.

"What is a farm but a mute gospel?"
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

Duchess
True Blue Farmgirl

109 Posts

Iowa
USA
109 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2008 :  07:43:51 AM  Show Profile
What great ideas. Since we are down to only 2 and hubby is out of town all week I use the freezer alot. I buy the big bags of chicken legs when they have them, then divide and freeze them. Lots of meals there. I make big batches of things and then divide and freeze, this way I can send meals with him. I make things like chicken enchiladas, and divide and freeze and all he has to do is warm up.

The game idea is great, my husband likes that type of thing but I have tried and just do not care for the taste. Meatless meals work too, nice salad and a baked Mac and Cheese. I make my pancakes from an old recipie, much less then buying a mix. It is amazing what we can accomplish when we put our minds to it. Any vegetables left over from a meal can be frozen and then when you have enough you can make soup. I just keep a container in the freezer and keep adding to it. I have a couple of bread machines that I bought at thrift stores, for pennies I can make great loaves of bread. Whole wheat and I add sunflower seeds and flax and sometimes raisins. In the store it would cost $3.00. One of the things I want to learn this year is how to can, then all those great tomatoes I get I will be able to use all winter. It only takes one or two plants to give you hundreds of tomatoes, the roma ones are good for sauces. I grew an heirloom one that was so delicious, makes my mouth water to think of it. Large tomatoes perfect for slicing and the flavor, yummmmm. By the way I grew the tomatoes in pots and had basil and other herbs growing around the edges.

http://theclarkhomestead.blogspot.com/

http://Duchess56051.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Norskema
True Blue Farmgirl

98 Posts

Candace
Central Indiana Area
USA
98 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2008 :  07:49:13 AM  Show Profile  Send Norskema an AOL message
I always made rotating menus when the kids were all home. Each 7 day menu had a shopping list to go with it. This helped me stick to my list and also save a ton of time preparing for the week. I utilize coupons and also find the Web site budget101.com helpful in preparing shopping lists and finding what's on sale in my area. They will put all the week's sale prices in one spot so you can compare. It all adds up!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2008 :  09:23:08 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Also check out

www.hillbillyhousewife.com she has some good menus and grocery saving ideas. I must admit I don't follow it exactly, but her recipes and ideas have saved us lots of money in the past.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Please come visit Nora and I our our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

La Patite Ferme
True Blue Farmgirl

623 Posts

Jenn
CA
USA
623 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2008 :  9:00:58 PM  Show Profile
I have found a few ethnic markets that have great prices on produce and dry goods like rice and beans. It's interesting that I can buy something like butternut squash at the ethnic place for .39 a pound and the regular store is $1.89 a pound. A 5lb bag of rice was under $2.00 versus over $5.

I also coupon shop, but have gotten really annoyed lately. It seems like every time I go to the store sale and coupon specials are all gone. I talked to the cashier and she said several people had complained to the manager. You'd think if there was a special they would stock more. Now I make them give me a rain check. With the economy the way it's going I can use all the help I can get.
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2008 :  9:17:46 PM  Show Profile
The only things I buy in bulk are tp and pptwls...with 4 dogs and 3 bulimic cats, I'm not gonna ever be able to cut out papertowels...as far as meats and things like that, I buy from a small butcher/grocery in Covington that has great meat and they do these "packs" where you can specialize what types of meat you want. I also buy from the farmers market in the summer. I stock up on hormone and antibiotic free beef and pork. Other than that, I'm guilty of not planning a meal until lunchtime and shopping then for little ingredients. I have a gazillion herbs and spices and I substitute a lot of things (like Meunster cheese instead of gruyere tonight in French Onion soup...so it's German Onion Soup--shoot me). I was going to go to the store to stock up this weekend but making menu's might be a waste with the way my husband has been eating, or rather "renting" food as Nubidane so aptly put it :)...it just doesn't pay me to waste money on food right now, especially in this economy.

As far as the Hillbilly Housewife, I do use her little cup of soup things for work. It's easy, I can drink it while I'm at my desk and best of all they only have like 25 calories and I'm satisfied until dinner time.

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

nashbabe
True Blue Farmgirl

687 Posts

687 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2008 :  4:48:50 PM  Show Profile
aldi
loss leader and "must be sold today or tomorrow" meat
chest freezer in basement where I can cook several batches of something at a time, freeze, and use later--bought the freezer used for $25 off an employee bulletin board
soups of leftover stuff
make my own bread in bread machine
make my own breakfast bars
make durable raw veggie salads (like orzo salad, chopped salad, etc.) and use them over the next few days of meals
pack breakfasts and lunches

the angel food ministries program looks pretty good. I haven't used it, but there's no need to qualify and you apparently get a lot of food for the money...

Crunchy crafty goodness and psychoses...;-)http://nashbabe.blogspot.com

groovy stuff 2 buy...http://www.alittlesplurge.etsy.com

Edited by - nashbabe on Feb 04 2008 4:49:49 PM
Go to Top of Page

MustangSuzie
True Blue Farmgirl

634 Posts

Sarah
New London Missouri
USA
634 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2008 :  5:43:03 PM  Show Profile  Send MustangSuzie a Yahoo! Message
I keep a stocked pantry and plan meals around that. I don't make menus out, but decide the night before what we will have the next day based upon what is available in the pantry or in my stock in the basement. I shop mostly from the sales fliers that come weekly and stock up on loss leader items. Then I store that in the basement. I also try to keep a good supply of toilet paper down there. We don't use many paper towels so I buy a bulk pack and it lasts for ever.

I recommend browsing through stores maybe a couple of times a month if not weekly. You can usually find instore specials that may not be advertised. Also pay attention to the expiration date on things, especially meat and milk, things that expire soon and regularly. You can usually get good deals on that.

We have a local dairy that sells milk in half gallon glass bottles. I have purchased two of those and keep the bottles to make milk in. I buy a gallon of whole milk and mix it half and half with made up powdered milk and then put it in the glass jars. When it chills overnight you cannot tell the difference imho. I've even been totally out of milk and used all powdered before, chilling it well overnight and my kids didn't know the difference. It works in a pinch to keep from having to run to the store.

Blessings....
Sarah

www.mustangsuzie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2008 :  07:53:23 AM  Show Profile
Aha, Sarah has defined the way I handle meals at my house most of the time. Keeping a stocked pantry and a stocked freezer and I am generally planning meals around that. I'm always trying to figure out my pattern, or process, so thanks for helping me think it through.

I generally try to go through recipe books every other month or so and get some fresh (or forgotten) ideas for meals. We're running between two houses most weeks and will be for at least another year so I don't stay in once place long enough to cook in batches like I used to. The best I seem to be able to do is cook for an extra person each dinnertime and DH takes the leftovers for lunch the next day. I also like to stock up when items are on sale. (Note to self and others: freeze and/or store extras of dry goods so the bugs don't ruin them!) I have also drastically cut down the portions I prepare; I used to try and "cook once, eat twice" and try to have leftovers for a second meal the same week, but there would usually be half a sausage or an errant bowl of leftover salad to be tossed on trash day. Now I try to prepare less quantity in the first place. Hard to do, but I think it saves a little $$$ here and there.

I do believe in COSTCO or Sam's Club,if you buy the things you use often, and rewrap them for storage in the amounts they will be used in your household. It's easy to get carried away in those stores, though.

The current issue of SMALL TOWN LIVING (Tina Michelle and her DH produce this e-magazine) had an article about the hillbilly housewife and feeding a family of four on $45 a week. I was intriqued, but found it lacking for my purposes in that it allowed for little to no meat anywhere in the menu. That would, however, provide a cost savings! If I tried that in my house, DH would probably say, that was nice, now what's for dinner? Where's the meat???

Jo

"Wish I had time to work with herbs all day!"
Go to Top of Page

botanicalove
Farmgirl at Heart

2 Posts

Kim

2 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2008 :  7:33:10 PM  Show Profile
If there is something you use a lot of, try special ordering by the case. Most health food stores and co-ops offer a case discount, usually about 10%.
Go to Top of Page

Renee M. in Michigan
True Blue Farmgirl

54 Posts

Renee
Allendale MI
USA
54 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2008 :  1:29:18 PM  Show Profile
I shop pretty much the loss leaders (those items that are "buy one, get one free, or significantly marked down to get you in the door) and that's it. Then I plan our menus around what I get.

I admittedly do not buy organic. It simply is too expensive. The only organic foods we eat is what I can raise myself in the garden (and that's very small this year due to a re-vamping of our gardening space) and splurges from MJ's product line now and then. It's just the reality of life for us.

-- Renee M. up in the mitten

Farmgirl #211
No woman ever made history by behaving herself.
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2008 :  7:28:39 PM  Show Profile
You do what you can, Renee...the garden helps alot cutting costs (haven't bought potatoes in a few weeks!), and I buy chicken in bulk. We both really like fish, but I limit it to sale fish (usually tilapia and wild american caught salmon). It's difficult, because I am very conscious about where our food comes from--especially fish. I won't buy fish caught in asian waters, but also even Canada--just personal political issues.

We do buy a great deal of organic items, but they're also usually on sale at our grocer. In light of the fact that ALL groceries are higher at this point, I'd rather cut back on other things than skimp on (what I feel) is good for us.

I also keep a stocked pantry of spices and we have fresh herbs in pots for nightly use. We don't eat fresh fruit--it's just a fact, and I stopped fooling myself into thinking that I will (my husband wouldn't touch fruit with a ten foot pole), because then it just goes to waste in the crisper. That cut out a huge amount from my grocery bill.

I've found that sticking to a list, working out recipes before hand, and knowing what can be substituted (scallions/green onions) you can eliminate a lot of cost and "one time" items. I also approach shopping with a healthy dose of realism! Sometimes I think, "I want to eat healthier!!" and I'll go all goofy on items that, months later are still in the cabinet. So, I'm more realistic about what we will actually consume.

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2008 :  8:46:09 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Wow.. you all just rock.. I cannot add a thing! Some awesome advice! The bulk is a great one.. we use to spend twice as much on garbage... but have cut it down with buying bulk and recycling.. adding a bit more to the grocery budget. We are also making some conscience choices as far as keeping the air conditioner off, getting rid of Satelite, and growing twice the garden we have in the past. I guess I find myself wondering if it is all bad.... the state we are in.. seems like more of us are reconnecting with "sanity" :)

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185

" Plant goodness, harvest the fruit of loyalty, plow the new ground of knowledge. Hosea 10:12
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2008 :  06:24:03 AM  Show Profile
Oh no, I really think that we are (some of us) making improvements about the way we choose to live in this economy. There are many things that I really DON'T need, and I realize that more now. I love to shop thrift, and that's always been a habit for me. You should see what cute clothes and household items I come up with for nothing!!!

I still subscribe to the "if it isn't broken, don't fix it" methodology, in that we drive an older car (still fuel efficient, but no loan) and I don't plan on having a car payment anytime soon. With the right conservation, we should be able to plan for things and save.

Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2008 :  07:43:57 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for sharing...interesting how the different personalities work a food budget like magic..the planners and the ride-by-the-seat-of-your-pants types (I'm one of those ) accomplish savings either way. I always enjoy seeing people work at a problem different ways and get the same result.

By the way, I'm a baker and gee the price of flour has gone through the roof around here and we're a big wheat state! No sale in sight on flour.

Jami in WA

Okay, so now I have a blog. http://woolyinwashington.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

KansasConnie
True Blue Farmgirl

69 Posts

Connie
Atchison County Kansas
USA
69 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2008 :  7:27:30 PM  Show Profile
Great ideas!!

Utilizing leftovers (if any) is another way I try to save...usually I'll try to do something different with it. For example: turning leftover roast into veggie beef soup or adding a leftover hamburger (or ground beef) to rice, tomatoes and green peppers (like stuffed peppers).

And something to plan for...as most people have enough room for a fruit tree of some variety (many come in dwarf varieties also). I was quite happy to pick cherries the other day off my MIL's tree when the store had them advertised for $3.99/lb!!
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2008 :  07:19:23 AM  Show Profile
Wow Rene' that is scarry-When I left the working world I had to cut the bills down to compensate for the loss in wages. The first thing we did was go to a smaller garbage can and get rid of the sattelite dish too!

As far as the grocery bill-Don't take Hubby or kids with you and this will save you a bunch! It is amazing what can jump into the cart when you are not looking!

Lillian
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Make It Easy: Previous Topic grocery saving tips? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page