simplyflowers
True Blue Farmgirl

489 Posts

Jamie
Locust Grove Virginia
USA
489 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2008 :  12:38:07 PM  Show Profile
Oh Ms. Lilian you are correct! No kids, no hubby, NO BIG BILL AT THE CHECKOUT COUNTER!!!!!!! And if you have no choice.....feed them a good meal before you go!

Jamie

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." -- Thomas Edison
Go to Top of Page

Brew Crew
True Blue Farmgirl

676 Posts

Molly
Arizona
676 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2008 :  3:06:10 PM  Show Profile
Uhhh....avoid the grocery store? ;)

The Biz www.tvalahandmade.com
The Blog: http://blog.tvalahandmade.com/
The Bits www.happydalehobby.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Peg Graham
True Blue Farmgirl

281 Posts

Peg
Chesapeake Virginia
USA
281 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2008 :  07:15:57 AM  Show Profile
1. make a monthly rotating menu

2. make a list from the menu

3. shop store brand- it's fine

4. buy on sale in bulk

5. buy only what you know you'll eat

6. know your prices...this way you can figure ot if it's worth it or not and who's prices are better.

7. buy foods you can stretch...ie- pot roast can become 3 meals (dinner, leftover for sandwiches, leftover for stew)

8. create a price log in a small notebook to record the best price of your favorite products at each store, that way you'll always know if you're getting the same size or not!

9. Use up leftovers quickly (keep a list on the fridge if necessary so you remember what’s inside) or freeze them for later use. If you’re cooking for just one or two, freeze leftovers in single-size portions, they’ll make quick and easy dinners on nights when you’re too busy or too tired to cook.

10. When grocery stores have a Grand Opening for a new location be sure to stop by and pick up their big sale items. They usually have some really LOW, LOW, prices during the first week, or even the first month.

11. If you need a quick dinner for your family try your local grocery store for some great food instead of going to a restaurant. You'll save a ton of money (especially if you have a large family like we do) and probably calories too!
Some quick ideas:
-rotisserie chicken at Sam's, Costco, BJ's
-spaghetti sauce and noodles
-frozen pizzas on sale
-frozen bag dinners

12. Freeze milk- you should use frozen milk in about three months. You just have to pour a little of the milk out (into another jug) before you freeze it, so that it doesn't expand and burst the plastic jug. It will look yellow when frozen, but will thaw out and look normal.

13. Unit price-My best tip is be sure and check out the price per ounce/pound/piece. Just because it's in the big box, doesn't mean it's cheaper! Sometimes two smaller packages are cheaper than the big box. Compare prices ounce per ounce.

miles of smiles~
Peg
Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2008 :  07:44:18 AM  Show Profile
I heard on one of the major news stations that Tuesday was the best day to shop for groceries...can't for the life of me remember why though but here I go...it's Tuesday and I'm off to the grocery store!

Sam in AR..... "It's a great life if you don't weaken!"
Farmgirl Sister #226
Go to Top of Page

nampafarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

494 Posts

Kim
Nampa ID
USA
494 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2008 :  10:06:18 AM  Show Profile
Peg, how do you defrost milk? Can you freeze half and half too? My mom in law will freeze half and half and when she tries to servie it the milk comes out separated, no one then drinks it in their coffee. I was wondering if regular milk would do the same? Can I do this with non fat milk? I think I remember my parents freezing cheese. Does anyone knwo about how well that works?

Saving money, I buy Costco meats, produce. meats come in pkges too large for my family size, so I have a food saver (it takes the air out of the plastic bags you put it in- think I bought it a Costco too), kind of like a shrink wrap. Wehn fruits and veggies stop loking their best, I freeze them to use for pies, or smoothies.

Kim
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2008 :  2:25:41 PM  Show Profile
The dry mixes that you mix with sour cream/mayo for dips are pricy. I have a food dehydrator that I keep running most of the time in the summer. When I have any left over veggies, cooked or raw, I dry them in the dehydrator. Bag them up, then when you want to make dips, whiz them up in the blender and mix with sour cream/mayo and you have a great dip. And you can control the salt and Oh, did I mention, its free. Well, kind of.

My favorite dip mix is tomato, jalapeno, onion/garlic.
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2008 :  3:58:22 PM  Show Profile
Kim- I freeze cheese all of the time especially mozarella. I will buy a brick, shread it up, place it on a cookie sheet, freeze a few hours and then place it in a ziplock baggie. When I pull it out of the freezer it is just the same as before I froze it.

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

La Patite Ferme
True Blue Farmgirl

623 Posts

Jenn
CA
USA
623 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2008 :  4:41:29 PM  Show Profile
Kim - I freeze milk all the time. Just pour some off the top because it will expand as it freezes and you don't want it to split the milk jug. When you defrost put it in the fridge the night before you'll need it. Remember - it's a big block and takes time to thaw. I just give a few good shakes to remix it and it's good to go. DD loves it when it still has some ice crystals in it.
Go to Top of Page

nampafarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

494 Posts

Kim
Nampa ID
USA
494 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2008 :  12:36:34 PM  Show Profile
Jenn and Lillian,

Thanks I will try those ideas!

When I buy larger qty berries like strawberries, blueberries, etc. I freeze some of them, knowing they will go in my morning yogurts, cereals, anyway, that way I wont loose the whole box of them to spoilage.
Go to Top of Page

neighsayer
True Blue Farmgirl

81 Posts

Shirley
Arabi GA
USA
81 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2008 :  06:30:24 AM  Show Profile  Send neighsayer a Yahoo! Message
Awesome advice y'all. I go to my farmer's market and buy veggies. Usually they are fresher and cost a lot less than our grocery store. I buy the large bags of leg quarters and divide them up too. I like thighs myself anyways because they are juicier than the boneless breasts. If you make a roast, there is always shredded meat for the next dinner like in burritos or enchiladas. I buy boneless pork butts and cook them then shred for barbeque. Gotta do whatcha gotta do these days. Meat is outrageously high! Especially ground beef. Ridiculous! $3.49 for plain old ground beef? Ouch!

Thank God I live in the country!
Go to Top of Page

rhondacate
True Blue Farmgirl

234 Posts

Rhonda
Janesville CA
USA
234 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2008 :  10:42:10 PM  Show Profile
We have a store called "Grocery Outlet". My husband calls it the Used Food Store.

I always check there first before going to the other grocery store in town. I have found amazing deals, such as a 1/2 gallon of Organic milk for 50 cents. I bought a bunch and froze them.

~Rhonda
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Make It Easy: Previous Topic grocery saving tips? Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page