nampafarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

494 Posts

Kim
Nampa ID
USA
494 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2008 :  2:30:35 PM  Show Profile
I would like to make an old fashioned clothesline for my backyard. I would like it to be made of wood, not the store bought umbrella metal type. I would like it to be a T post style.

I have looked throughout the internet and can't locate instructions. I dont know how to attach the cross part for the top of the line to be attached, or how to string the line part across from one side to another as the plasticky rope stuff eventually starts to sag, the woven rope eventually get dirty, maybe wire would work, but then again how to attach it.

Has anyone else made a clothesline for their yard?

Kim

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2008 :  2:35:42 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I would think that you could just get a long wood screw to attach the two pieces of wood, then twist in some eye hooks an then string your rope/wire from post to post. I am using rope because I didn't want the wire to possibly rust on me. Not sure if it would. I have tightened my rope once and I think it will stay tight this time.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2008 :  3:19:28 PM  Show Profile
I have a metal one that was here when I moved in and it has BIG eye hooks that when the line (I have the palstic coated) starts to sag you just wind it one more time around the eye hook or untie it and retie. Hope that helps?!? My metal posts are stuck in concrete in the ground.

Sam in AR..... "It's a great life if you don't weaken!"
Farmgirl Sister #226
Go to Top of Page

pinkroses
True Blue Farmgirl

2350 Posts

Sheila
Virginia
USA
2350 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2008 :  4:04:01 PM  Show Profile
I think you can get them at Lowes
My hubby maked me some metal ones about like the woodden ones you are talking about
He got the metal poles somewheres
We had to take it down for some reason; I can't remember
never put them back up, pinkroses

www.ohkayteagirl2.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2008 :  6:53:31 PM  Show Profile
Good luck on getting a clothes line outside.
Air dried linen. Nothing like it!
Marly
Go to Top of Page

nampafarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

494 Posts

Kim
Nampa ID
USA
494 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2008 :  12:29:33 PM  Show Profile
Sandra,

I am following your lead. I am buying metal poles, having a welder weld a top to it to look like a T. I will have the top post drilled thru to put the big hook/eye things thru and the other side to keep the clothesline from sagging, I will put these twisty things with screws in the middle of them.If it sags you just twist the screws tighter. On one end of the twisty things, there is an eye for the line and the other end also has an eye to bolt into the top metal pole.

kim
Go to Top of Page

joyfulmama
True Blue Farmgirl

1175 Posts

Debra
Silver Springs NV
USA
1175 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2008 :  1:53:44 PM  Show Profile
I love those kind of clothes lines! I told hubby he needed to get one up right away for me at the new house.

Blessings, Debra

"Your life is an occasion, Rise to it." Mr Magorium..
http://myvintagehome.com
http://woolieacres.net
http://modernmanna.org
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2008 :  12:07:05 AM  Show Profile
Kim,
I have the "T" metal pole type clothes line, my DH found it through Craigs list and brought it home, drilled holes for new eye hooks & added BLUE plastic wraped wire(easier to see)line and then we painted it RED so I would not keep walking into it, duh!
I think having a fire engine red clothes line is trippy! I love it!
>^..^<

>^..^< Happiness is being a katmom.
mjf#72
Sisters on the Fly#472
www.katmom4.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

nampafarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

494 Posts

Kim
Nampa ID
USA
494 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2008 :  10:55:00 AM  Show Profile
Grace,
ah! I Love it.

what does DH mean?

kim
Go to Top of Page

fionalovesshrek
True Blue Farmgirl

186 Posts

Paige
kinston North Carolina
USA
186 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2008 :  09:23:26 AM  Show Profile
I put my line up between two tall pine trees. We just screwed in the large eye bolts, and strung clothesline wire, it's plastic coated to not rust, through the eyes. It's one continuous run of line, sewing through each eye to the next eye, then across. look at this picture to see what I mean. http://www.smartdrying.com/About_Us.html

Also a good sight to see how a nice line is put together!
P~

living a good neighbor life

www.fionaswampington.blogspot.com

http://homespunhensfarmgirlchapter.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

AmethystRose
True Blue Farmgirl

254 Posts

Rosemary
Huntingdon PA
USA
254 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2008 :  8:55:08 PM  Show Profile
I have three lines. The central line is plastic coated wire, and I wrapped a woven rope along the wire, looking similar to a vine around a tree. To avoid ironing I dry anything that I can on hangers, and the bumps formed by the wrapped rope make spacers for the hangers. On a windy day, I can tuck the hook of the hanger between the rope and wire. If the weather changes suddenly, it's easy to scoop up the hangers.
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2008 :  10:21:16 PM  Show Profile
Kim,
My mom (levisgrammy) has Dad and my brother build her one almost exactly like what you are describing. If you can pin her down, I am sure she'd be able to tell you just what they did.
hugs jess

Farmgirl Sister #235

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2008 :  11:01:51 PM  Show Profile
I feel very blessed that when we moved in here 6 years ago we had a big old iron pipe T post type (welded) clothesline with 5 lines. It is really long too. I love it!! If I ever live in a house without one I have one put up right away..I have never had the umbrella style though.
If you do the wood posts it is almost a neccesity to do corner braces to keep it from getting weak. Wet clothes can be heavy.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

chickabella
True Blue Farmgirl

177 Posts

D. A.
Austin... ish, Texas
177 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2008 :  05:35:57 AM  Show Profile
Here's some photos of what Spouse put up. He used 4x4's, and cut notches into both the upright piece and the crossbar, then fitted & screwed them together with deck screws. He also used screw-in eyebolts for stringing the line, and put the posts into cement.

Farm blog: http://farmnatters.blogspot.com
Heart of Texas Farmgirls Chapter; Farmgirl Sisterhood Member #275
pic: Maggie & Bandit, our two Great Pyrenees puppies, playing "Shark Attack!"
Go to Top of Page

spiral sage
Farmgirl in Training

12 Posts

crystal
rock hill sc
USA
12 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2008 :  9:52:07 PM  Show Profile
I like the look of the clothes line on page 385 in Mary Jane's Ideabook. It has a nice finished look to it.

insanity is doing what you've always done and expecting something different to happen.
http://twistedthyme.blogspot.com/
http://www.xanga.com/twistedthyme
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9362 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9362 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2008 :  07:56:18 AM  Show Profile
Chickabella,
That looks exactly like the one my husband and son made for me, with one exception. They put a full piece across the inside instead of one on each side of the pole. They used eye bolts to run covered wire line through and I can tighten the line also. there are these little things on the line that your turn and it tighten it. Oh I almost forgot they also cemented the poles into the ground.
crshelpmeet is familiar with it because we both had put it to good use!

Denise
farmgirl sister #43

"Take a lesson from the teakettle, though up to its
neck in hot water...it sings!"

www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Sep 04 2008 07:57:30 AM
Go to Top of Page

luvnlife
True Blue Farmgirl

82 Posts

Michele
Quincy WA
USA
82 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2008 :  4:59:32 PM  Show Profile
I have a VERY OLD clothesline that is as sturdy today as the day it was built. It's metal with galvanized cable/wire, it hooks into large eyebolts on the cross beam of the end posts. My kids grew up swinging on the end posts and because of the concrete and sturdy metal posts, they are no worse for the wear. I like all metal because nothing rots or sags over time like with wood or rope. I'd suggest investing in as sturdy and large a clothesline that you can afford. You'll never say "I wish I had built it smaller". As I type this I have nearly 12 loads of laundry hanging on mine and it has room for the three more loads I have to go till I'm done. So glad I don't have to rotate drying clothes or wait till the clothes are dry to come off before I can hang more. Best wishes!

Family life is the source of the greatest human happiness. This happiness is the simplest and least costly kind, and it cannot be purchased with money~Havighurst
Farmgirl Sister #306 :)
Go to Top of Page
  Make It Easy: Previous Topic Old Fashioned Clothesline Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page