Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 What are your best healthy under 30 minute meals?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic What are your best healthy under 30 minute meals? Next Topic  

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2008 :  3:52:02 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
I am trying to compile a nice recipe list of easy, healthy foods that gain maximum use of vegetables and even fruit. I don't have a lot of time to cook when in college and everything else going on.
Tonight I made Sloppy Joes:
1 lb lean ground beef or turkey
1/2 cup chopped onions
1 cup chopped peppers
1 cup ketchup (homemade is great!!!)
1 tblsp. brown sugar
2 capfuls of vinegar
black pepper to taste
salt (if needed or wanted)

I also puree things like extra cooked carrots or even sweet potatoes and add it in. No one can tell!!

Who's got some easy recipes for me????

Cheers,
Heather

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2008 :  05:01:47 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
This one is pretty quick, Heather. When I used to make this one, it really served only 3 people. It was nice for a working parents with a young son and not much time to cook. I would make a small tossed salad with it.

Vegetable Chili w/ Polenta (from Real Simple magazine, May 2000) serves 4

3 TBS olive oil 1 large onion, finely chopped 2 garlic cloves, minced 2 tsp. chili powder

1 ˝ tsp. ground cumin 1 (14.5 oz.) can diced tomatoes w/ juice 1 (15.5 oz) can red kidney beans rinsed & drained 1 (15.5 oz) can cannelloni or great northern beans, rinsed & drained 1 (8 oz) can vegetarian beans

1 TBS red wine vinegar ˝ c. quick cooking polenta (I used this amount for 3 people) 1 TBS butter

Green chili or jalapeno salsa, optional

In a large skillet, over med. Heat, heat the oil, add the onion, garlic, chili powder, & cumin & sauté until onions are soft. Add the tomatoes 1 c. water. Bring to a simmer, partially cover w/ lid, & cook 10 min. Add the beans and return to a boil. Continue cooking, uncovered 20 min. or until chili thickens. Remove from heat and stir in the vinegar. Season to taste w/ salt and freshly ground pepper.

While the chili cooks, prepare the polenta according to package directions and stir in the butter. Season to taste w/salt and freshly ground pepper. Ladle chili over top of polenta in bowls. Spoon a little salsa on top, if desired.

Farmgirl Sister #50

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?"
'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2008 :  05:12:53 AM  Show Profile
tacos are easy with either chicken or beef and use lots of veggies

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2008 :  09:18:42 AM  Show Profile
This is my FAVE--I also add some sliced cherry tomatoes in all different colors in the summer.

Use a whole wheat fusilli or penne

2 tbs butter
2 tbs olive oil
2 red bell peppes, cored, seeded and thinly sliced
2 large cloves of garlic, chopped

4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
all purpose flour
1 cup chicken broth
1/4 dry white wine
2 tblsp. chopped fresh parsley
hand grated romano or parmesan
whole wheat penne

melt butter with oil in large skillet over med-high heat. Add peppers and garlic and saute until tender. Using slotted spoon, transfer peppers to side bowl;

Season chicken with S&P. Sprinkle flour over chicken evenly. Add chicken to skillet,, and saute until brown, about 3 mins. per side. Transfer chicken to holding plate. Return peppers/garlic to skillet, add broth and wine. Increase heat to high. Bring to boil until liquid thickens to sauce consistency, scraping up brown bits about 5-7 mins. Return chicken to skillet, and cook until chicken is cooked through. Season with S & P, and toss with cooked whole wheat penne or pasta of your choice. Sprinkle with parsley, and grated cheese.

I cut this in half for me and take the other portion to lunch. For such a simple dish, the flavors are really complex and full bodied. Great use of those summer red peppers!!!!

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2008 :  09:20:50 AM  Show Profile
Stir fry with a bag of frozen organic vegetables and frozen chicken breast tenders is good. I like to serve it with brown rice, but the regular brown rice can take a while. I think you can buy instant brown rice now though.

Farmgirl Sister #98
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2008 :  12:03:09 PM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
No recipie, but a good set of do it you self instructions...make tortillas using the meseca mix from the hispanic section at your grocery store. Sautaee a lage bowl full of spinach in butter with garlic and onions. Stir in cheddar cheese and serve on tortillas. Awesome!

It sounds so good to hear myself laugh. --Rascal Flats, "No Reins"
Go to Top of Page

faithmarie
True Blue Farmgirl

143 Posts

faith
wappingers falls new york
USA
143 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2008 :  08:07:19 AM  Show Profile
When hubby is hungry and wants something fast.
whole wheat pasta -linguini or angle hair- cooked
Can of tuna sauteed in olive oil and fresh garlic( minced ,sliced ,crushed or chopped)
fresh romano cheese
I use salmon too sometimes
my family loves this stuff

To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven
Farmgirl sister # 34
Go to Top of Page

faithmarie
True Blue Farmgirl

143 Posts

faith
wappingers falls new york
USA
143 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2008 :  08:09:57 AM  Show Profile
duh! No veggies here! Sorry But garlic is good for you and you can put fresh parsley on it. hehe

To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven
Farmgirl sister # 34
Go to Top of Page

ivmeer
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Amanda
Pawtucket RI
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2008 :  06:47:30 AM  Show Profile
I recommend the book "Moosewood Restaurant Cooks at Home." Mostly vegetarian recipes (some fish), all under 1 hour to prepare.
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2008 :  08:48:21 AM  Show Profile
I like Moosewood, but I've found that sometimes their recipes (as written) are high in fat. Good, but somewhat unhealthy.

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic What are your best healthy under 30 minute meals? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page