Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 What do YOU do with GREEN BEANS?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic What do YOU do with GREEN BEANS? Next Topic  

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2008 :  12:01:33 PM  Show Profile
We're having filets tonight, with corn from the garden (cutoff and frozen) and green beans, but I have to say, I'm bored with steamed green beans...I usually toss with butter and lemon, and a little garlic.

There HAS to be something else???

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2008 :  12:37:50 PM  Show Profile
I put the green beans in a pot with a little water. Then I add brown sugar to taste. Garlic salt. Butter, pepper, and a dash of sweet basil and a dash of dry mustard.

I let 'em cook until tender. It's the sugar that does it! :)

Farmgirl Sister # 31

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2008 :  12:39:03 PM  Show Profile
Ok, so I understand. The sugar goes in the water...the rest of the ingredients too, or after?

Sounds yummy--and I'm hungry

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2008 :  12:57:53 PM  Show Profile
The beans go first into the water. Then heap on the sugar, butter and garlic salt and other spices. Cover the pot and cook slowly until the beans are tender. The sugar and butter will melt into the beans and make them yummy. I must admit I use two to three heaping spoons of brown sugar. I have not tried this in my steamer, but it might work, with the beans being more tender. Only the beans will not cook in the sweet mixture, as they do in the pot

Oh, and I have added minced onion to the mix before, too. And even bacon grease, instead of butter. I do not use that anymore, since I try to be good now! Butter is yummy.

Farmgirl Sister # 31

Edited by - jpbluesky on Jan 18 2008 1:01:08 PM
Go to Top of Page

tziporra
True Blue Farmgirl

234 Posts

Robin
Seattle WA
USA
234 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2008 :  1:07:22 PM  Show Profile
Well, this doesn't work too well with fillets, but it's my families favorite way to eat green beans:

Chicken, Potato and Green Bean Roast

Mix 1/2 cup olive oil with 2 tbsp. lemon juice, a clove of chopped garlic and some rosemary (optional)

Toss green beans in the oil mixture, and spread them in the bottom of a cast iron skillet. Toss 2 potatoes in the remaining oil mixture and layer over the top of the green beans. put a final layer of chicken quarters over the top and dump any remaining oil over the chicken. Roast at 400 degrees about an hour. The green beans at the bottom of the skillet get absolutely carmelized by the time this is done, and it's like eating green bean candy. Oh, and your family might enjoy the chicken and potatoes as well ;)

Best,

Robin
Go to Top of Page

Leezard
True Blue Farmgirl

950 Posts

Elizabeth
Novi MI
USA
950 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2008 :  1:18:10 PM  Show Profile
I just like them raw, that's probably not much help though ;)

http://ruby--slippers.blogspot.com/
www.leezard.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2008 :  4:19:54 PM  Show Profile
one meal that we like to do is take fresh green beans, some baby potatoes/new potatoes and kielbasa sausage or sausage of your choice ..slice sausage and cut potatoes in half, cover in your crockpot and let cook on high for about 4 hrs or until potatoes are tender. Add pepper and Italian spices to taste..you can also add baby carrots if you wish.
----------------
I also like to steam fresh greenbeans and add a touch of butter and toss with a sprinkling or two of thyme.
-------------------

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
visit me at:
http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and at www.stliving.net
you can also check out my etsy shops at:http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2008 :  07:30:06 AM  Show Profile
I take a few strips of bacon and fry those up. Drain off most but not all of tha bacon grease and stick the fresh green beans in the pan. Sprinkle garlic powder or garlic salt on top, sometimes add a few chopped onions, and sprinkle the bacon on top. Fry or sautee until done. Yum!!
-Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2008 :  09:27:13 AM  Show Profile
I make mine pretty much the same way Elizabeth does. My mother was Southern, and taught me as a child to make Leather Britches Beans. You pick nice tender beans from the garden, and string them by running button thread (a heavier thread) through the stem end. Then you hang a big string of them until they dry. (I usually put hang in the loft of the barn.) Then you bring them in and pack them in paper bags, whole. When we want to eat some, we fry up some bacon, cook some chopped onion and garlic in there, and then put in a few handfuls of the Leather Britches Beans along with a couple cups of water or stock, and slam on the lid and simmer all day. My oh my, get the cornbread and honey, honey! Sooooo good!
Go to Top of Page

Peanut
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jennifer
Waverly Virginia
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2008 :  09:28:37 AM  Show Profile
I throw a ham hock in with mine. YUmmmmmmm.

"What is a farm but a mute gospel?"
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

MasterGardener
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

Chandra
Louisiana
USA
572 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2008 :  3:42:37 PM  Show Profile  Send MasterGardener a Yahoo! Message
My DH, reared in the deep-south, taught me how to cook green beans this way! Cut up (1 inch or so) about 4 to 5 bacon slices, fry, (in large enough pan to hold the entire recipe) till really crisp. This doesn't generate much grease, so I leave it & to the same pan, add 1 to 2 russet -OR- 4 to 5 small new potatoes, cubed, and stir it around to get a bit of browning on the edges of the potatoes...cook to desired brown-ness ( I usually use this time to bring the water kettle to a boil) Toss the cleaned green beans in...this will all be sizzling in the pan while the kettle is coming to a boil. When the kettle boils, add what would be enough water to not quite cover whatever the amount of veggies is in your pan. Generously salt and pepper. Cover & cook on a gentle boil till desired doneness of veggies & 'taters are STARTING to break down a bit (this is why I use russet more often than not, they break down a bit quicker. Mmmmm-mmmmmm!!! We love it!

.• ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.•´ .•´¨¨))
((¸¸.•´ ..• -:¦:- -:¦:- Chandra
-:¦:- ((¸¸.•´Farmgirl Sister #64

She considereth a field, and buyeth it; with the fruit of her hands she planteth a vineyard.
Proverbs 31:16
Go to Top of Page

sweetproserpina
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

meg
Vinemount Ontario
Canada
535 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2008 :  4:02:17 PM  Show Profile
Well, we usually steam our green beans (in the micro) and then add butter, pepper, and a good grate of Parmesan cheese. Quick and easy!

"Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world."
http://theprimroseway.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2008 :  6:45:34 PM  Show Profile
sneak them to the dog under the table! The one and ONLY veggie I can't STAND to eat!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2008 :  6:53:25 PM  Show Profile
These are some great ideas!!! I'm anxious to give them a shot--we actually didn't have filets that night, Jus was feeling poorly so I didn't want to make a big dinner and have it go to waste, so they're ready for any other combination.

Julie, you crack me up! Our Elie, the lab/garbage disposal, would do well in your household!!! He LOVES green beans!!!

Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2008 :  4:25:03 PM  Show Profile
Hope your hubby feels better soon! From other posts you have made, I know he is having a hard time with eating, etc. Hope all is well.

Farmgirl Sister # 31

Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2008 :  5:01:47 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Jeannie--it's the same darn thing. I think we're gonna have to get to the doc. Until then, I've barred anything "red" or acidic in the house. Booh. I'm going to have to satisfy my need for "sauce" elsewhere!!!

Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2008 :  10:25:41 AM  Show Profile
I usually steam and then toss with a little oyster sauce (in Chinese food section) and some toasted, slivered almonds. Always a big hit.
Sharon

Farmgirl Sister #74

Life is messy. Wear your apron!
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic What do YOU do with GREEN BEANS? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page