Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 first time chicken ownership
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic first time chicken ownership Next Topic  

mrsmorgen
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

morgen
coudersport pa
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2008 :  2:17:27 PM  Show Profile
OK my husband has finally decided that we can get chickens!!! He is quite excited even! But as we look around I realize that we need some advice getting started. He wants to raise both layers and broilers and we are totally new to this so I came looking or farmgirl wisdom!!! Can you tell me what you have learned that I should know and what breeds are recommended!! Help me start this wonderful adventure right!!!
thanks
morgen in pa

I am beginning to learn that it is the sweet, simple things of life which are the real ones after all..
laura ingalls wilder

chicken necker
True Blue Farmgirl

509 Posts

Sherry
Eastern Shore Maryland
USA
509 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2008 :  2:34:25 PM  Show Profile  Send chicken necker an AOL message
Hi there. I've been saving in my favorites file all sorts of farming info sites. This is seems to give no nonsense info.

http://www.hobbyfarms.com

I love deadlines. I especially like the whooshing sound they make as they go flying by. ~anon
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2008 :  5:54:06 PM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
I like Brahamas for layers. They lay large brown eggs, are quite hardy, and will sit a nest well (if you want that). I had a whole managery of hens, but overall the Brahamas were the most versitile. For economy sake, I would just order a straight run and then butcher all except one or two roosters. Also, they seem to be quite mild mannered and my children made pets out of a number of them.

It sounds so good to hear myself laugh. --Rascal Flats, "No Reins"
Go to Top of Page

lmillward
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

Lorie
Riverton UT
USA
111 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2008 :  7:11:06 PM  Show Profile
I love sex-links (star) for eggs. I also love the barred plymouth rock and rhode island reds. they are beautiful and hardy! It gets really cold here in the winter and they always make it through- not so for other breeds like leghorns!

Long live the weeds and the wildflowers! ~John Muir
Go to Top of Page

PlumCreekMama
True Blue Farmgirl

730 Posts

Heather
Iowa
USA
730 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2008 :  9:37:27 PM  Show Profile
I have had Rhode Island Reds for a couple years and they lay great and I butcher extra cockerels. I agree with Corrine, just order straight run and butcher the cockerels, keeping one if you want to ever hatch your own eggs or just like the crowing. :) I have some Brahmas and Delawares and they are both also great dual purpose chickens. A magazine I get is Backyard Poultry. If you can find it, check it out. It has lots of information from both experts and regular people who raise poultry.
Go to Top of Page

mrsmorgen
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

morgen
coudersport pa
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2008 :  05:17:28 AM  Show Profile
Thank you so much. That helps a lot, My husband and I were looking at breeds and didn't know which were hardy, which we need, and which weren't. We got a copy of Backyard Poultry yesterday and are pouring over it! Thanks for the advice so much. I loved the Hobby Home site too.
Thanks and I look forward to more info from farmgirl experience too!
Morgen in PA

I am beginning to learn that it is the sweet, simple things of life which are the real ones after all..
laura ingalls wilder
Go to Top of Page

jillofalltrades
True Blue Farmgirl

90 Posts

Nicole

USA
90 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2008 :  9:40:46 PM  Show Profile  Click to see jillofalltrades's MSN Messenger address  Send jillofalltrades a Yahoo! Message
We purchased our chicks from McMurry Hatchery and every last one of them lived. We had chickens coming out of our ears. We bought mostly leghorns because DH likes white eggs. We also had Rhode Island Reds and Buff Orpingtons. My favorite are the Buff Orpingtons. They are hardy for the table, great brown layers, & they will set and raise little ones.

Nicole~ mom to Makinlee Georganna
Louisiana born & bred
Currently living abroad in South Korea

http://www.offshorewifeslife.com
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic first time chicken ownership Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page