Rebekka Mae
True Blue Farmgirl

965 Posts

Rebekka
Moscow ID
USA
965 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2008 :  4:58:15 PM  Show Profile
What do you do to say goodbye to animal friends when they pass? My little brother just lost his best buddy of ten years, Moose. I want to do something to help him remember his buddy but what? I am all ears...
Warmly, Rebekka

www.bebebella.etsy.com

As a woman I have no country. As a woman, my country is the whole world.

Virginia Woolf

Woodswoman
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Jennifer
Altamont NY
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2008 :  5:23:51 PM  Show Profile
Hello-
First of all, I am sorry for your and your bothers loss.

A few years back my retriever mix, Jackson, passed away. I had had him for 13 years-so it was quite a blow. These might not be right for everyone, but some things I did that I think helped were:

I went through all the pictures I had of Jackson and made a scrapbook. It was sort of sad, but it also made me smile and laugh at some of the stuff he did. It also reminded me of what a good, long life he had. And, I can always look at the scrapbook whenever I need to.

I made a new wildflower bed to bury his ashes in, and marked it with a cool colored stone I found. My bunny Bertha was also buried there when she passed away.

I made a donation in his name to a local animal shelter, and after some time had passed, I began volunteering there walking the dogs. It made me feel good to help dogs that didn't have there own people. And, eventually, it is where I met my current pup.

I hope this is helpful to you.
Best wishes.

Jennifer
Farmgirl Sister #104

"Nature brings to every time and season some beauties of its own".
-Charles Dickens
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2008 :  6:02:39 PM  Show Profile
My daughter's friends dog Tonka just died and Shannon got her a Guardian Angel Dog. They have any breed of dog and they are about 2" hight and sit on a golden disc about the size of a 50cent piece. Also you could tell him about the Rainbow Bridge. Just google 'rainbow bridge'. I had to put my horse down in September and the vet sent a beautiful card and the story of the rainbow bridge. Maybe this will help you. MB

www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"

Edited by - Marybeth on Jan 12 2008 6:07:30 PM
Go to Top of Page

Rebekka Mae
True Blue Farmgirl

965 Posts

Rebekka
Moscow ID
USA
965 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2008 :  6:11:58 PM  Show Profile
Thank you both for sharing your ideas- I know they were all conceived during tough times for you, my sincere condolences.
I know the story Mary Beth- thanks for reminding me, I think it would help him alot ...and Jennifer, I love the idea of a scrapbook and of making a fresh planting for him this spring. I think my brother would really enjoy walking the dogs at the humane society- perhaps I will mention it down the road.

Keep em coming gals- this is getting my brain going on a few things....

Warmly,Rebekka

www.bebebella.etsy.com

Virginia Woolf
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2008 :  7:10:33 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I love doing scrapbooks for my fur friends. I have one for Sky, and I want to make one for my Seanee-dog that passed away in September.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Please come visit Nora and I our our new blog:
http://FarmgirlAlee.blogspot.com" target="_blank"> http://FarmgirlAlee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2008 :  8:38:52 PM  Show Profile
when the golden retriever we had since I was a kid died after 17 years I was deviststed. My mom took the fabric from Brady's bed and made little mini beds and glued a figurine of a golden onto the top. It is still on my bookshelf. It was just a little way to keep a little piece of her with me. I will post a picture tomorrow.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2008 :  3:37:58 PM  Show Profile
maybe a small scrapbook album of photos of him and the dog together would be nice.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
visit me at:
http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and at www.stliving.net
you can also check out my etsy shops at:http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2008 :  06:04:10 AM  Show Profile
We planted a tree when both my Lily passed at 14 and when my mom's Sammy passed suddenly at 4. I do that for rememberances...and at the base of Lilly's tree, I put some of her ashes, but not all...that way, if we ever move, she can still come with. I also washed her collar, and hung it in our study, tags and all, on the end of the curtain rod finial--noone notices it but me and Jus, and it just feels like she's still there with me.

If you can't plant something, maybe make a memorial stone? They have those kits at garden centers, and you can put broken bits of their bowls, or photos, whatever...

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

Rebekka Mae
True Blue Farmgirl

965 Posts

Rebekka
Moscow ID
USA
965 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2008 :  06:15:04 AM  Show Profile
These are all such great ideas- I am going to send him a little scrapbook down the road, there are so many great pictures of the two to fill it...I thought I would set up the pages and put a picture or two in and then let him fill the rest when he is ready. Paul is going up to the river that was their favorite to send Moose off next week and then coming here for the weekend to hang out. I am also going to help him find a cool box to keep Moose's tags, etc in if he has not found one... perhaps someday he will put them in a stone like you suggested Jonni.

Warmly, Rebekka

www.bebebella.etsy.com

Virginia Woolf
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2878 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2878 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2008 :  08:23:46 AM  Show Profile
Jonni
Your house sounds like ours. We have wooden urns with collars, photos & dog tags at various spots throughout the house. Right now there are 5, including my big ol male dane Nixon, who the crematory commented was the heaviest urn they had delivered back to someone.
As far as remembrance, the Rainbow Bridge is something we send to all our friends who have lost a loved pet. When a good friend of mine recently had her dane put down, the crematory made an imprint of his big paw for them to keep.
I know a radio personality here who keeps his dogs tags in his wallet.
Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2008 :  9:31:43 PM  Show Profile
I made a little mosaic stone to place over the spot my Maggie rests.

I'm a one girl revolution.
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Animal Rememberance? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page