mommakatof2
True Blue Farmgirl

62 Posts

nieki
dalhart texas
USA
62 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2008 :  11:54:34 AM  Show Profile
Does anyone use herbs to treat their goats? I'd like to know more if you do. i have 2 dairy goats and wish to take care of them a bit more naturally. if anyone can help, i would really appricate it.

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2008 :  4:09:30 PM  Show Profile
Mommakatof2,

a friend of mine said you were looking for help with herbs treating goats. I have used herbs for years with my nubian dairy goats and also the conventional method if things get out of hand. I have used hoeggers herbal wormer and also Molly's herbal wormer. They are both on the internet and Molly's has a fantastic website and its mostly dedicated to goats and pets. She has a vast amount of info that is just wonderful. I think you should check out her sight for the info. I also have been using copper sulfate for livestock and making my own mineral mix along with my dairy goat mineral mix. The homemade is suppose to help with fighting worms by being higher in copper and other ingredients. They use to think low copper was the best and now finding out that goats really need more than thought. The mix I make takes copper sulfate, dolomite(sweet lime), sea kelp,powedered sulfur. They have improved on their coat and higher copper in the system makes worms not like them as well. Fungus and other skin diseased are better managed when on this lick. I have been using it the past year and have found improved results. I am still studying and always working on better feeds and nutrition. I find it fascinating and love seeing the results when they turn out well. Goats by nature like to eat whats above the ground like trees,bushes and weeds. They only eat grass when they have to. The weeds and leaves from trees are much higher in copper and minerals than grass. Thats because the weeds,trees and bushes roots go so much deeper into the ground and pull up wonderful minerals. The worm eggs aren't there either. Thats why goats on grass only have more worms in their system. Goats are super smart. They know what is best for them when given the option. But sometimes we don't alway have the option of supplying them all this. Thats why the mineral licks are so important. Well gotta get.........take care and let me know if there is anymore I can do to help.

wooliespinner

Each day is precious...take a few of those minutes for yourself.
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2878 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2878 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2008 :  4:46:10 PM  Show Profile
I have 2 of Linda's does & they are BEAUTIFUL!!! If you need help with goats.. Ask Linda (Linda you could be the Dear Abby of the goat world)
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2008 :  10:44:04 AM  Show Profile
I just will throw in my two cents worth. After raising alpacas, llamas, sheep, goats, chickens, rabbits and dogs all organically and holistically for eleven years here are my top picks

www.farmstead.com great place to get your correct natural worms and tons of information and support.

Natural Goat Care by Pat Coleby www.acresusa.com or
1-800-355-5313

Goats: Homoeophathic remedies by George MaCleod
Distributed by Beekman Publishers, 914-679-2300 or 888 BEEKMAN

Herbal Recipes for Farm Animals Chemical Free Alternatives
By Diana L Manseau

Substitutes Tips and Tidbits
Home Remedies Used in the Raising of Sheep By Laura Lawson
1 800 258-6992 (This also has been used on Goats)

Holistic Management A New Framework for Decision Making
by Allan Savory with Jody Butterfield Island Press

These should get your started and there are many more but I found these helpful to those who are getting started. I also tell folks that if we allow our animals choices they pick the right one everytime. If you every have any questions please do not hesitate to contact me - I do not have all the answers by any means but I do know where we can look to find out. Good luck and give those goats a kiss from me.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/larkspurfunnyfarm
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2008 :  2:43:10 PM  Show Profile
Grace thats great info!! I have the book Natural goat care by Pat Coleby also. Its a great book. I am still learning and and reading. I still have much more to learn and the people around me always use chemicals no matter what. They think natural care is not good. I hope they are wrong. Since starting this several years ago I am seeing improvements but I know theres more to do. I plan to get a few of the books you mentioned to read. I live in southern ohio and my worst problem is the barber pole worm. Its really taking its toll on all the goat people around here. I hope to be able to combat this problem naturally because the chemical wormers don't seem to be working very well anymore for anyone. I love drinking the goat milk and don't want to have to dump it because its contaminated or poison my animals.Thanks for the info. Take care.

Linda

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2008 :  4:27:52 PM  Show Profile
Linda, I have never had barber's pole worms that I know of but I do know that most worms will have a toe hold with copper lacking in a goat. My suggestion is also to contact Farmstead because she gave a friend of mine a recipe for barber pole worms but I can not find where I put it. I understand being surrounded by those who treat their animals like an ad for the big feed and medical company. I believe in give medication when there is not other way to save an animal - heck with even did lazer surgery on a lamb to save this leg when most would have put him down but I really believe (thru twelve years of doing it) that there are other ways. Keep reading - that is what we all do and keep asking questions because that is how we learn.
Give your four legged family members a hug from the Funny Farm.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2008 :  12:56:30 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the info grace.......i really appreciate it.
I understand about going above and beyond for animals. We have done surgeries for animals that other people would have not spent the money on or even cared. Sometimes we made a difference and sometimes it didn't. But we felt right about trying the best we could. I am animal poor because of the livestock plus all the rescued cats (8 kittens last year) Toby the dog who was thrown off a bridge and took 4 surgeries to save him and his legs. Thank God the orthopedic vet takes credit cards.....lol.
I will check out the website for the baberpole remedy. I have been using the lick that pat coleby has in her book plus the kelp and still have the goat minerals out also. It has helped. Been trying the herbal wormer for years also. But still have had to resort the the chemicals on the baberpole. They are truly a bad worm and really take the blood from their system so bad.
Its nice to see so many kind spirits on this website and your one of them. Its truly a blessing !!!
Well take care and will let you know what happens. Hope your babies will all be born happy and healthy.
Linda

Go to Top of Page

mommakatof2
True Blue Farmgirl

62 Posts

nieki
dalhart texas
USA
62 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2008 :  07:07:44 AM  Show Profile
Linda, hi, I'm still worried about my doe, Whitie. I haven't been able to feel her babies moving since yesterday. I check for them about 3 to 4 times a day, but haven't felt them move since yesterday morning about 10 am. Their usually pretty active all day. Also she really has been grinding her teeth. What could be wrong? The vet said it was proably nothing, but I don't know. She's just acting strange. Please help..Nieki
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2008 :  09:16:53 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Nieki-

If it is in your budget I would have the vet do a doplar or an ultrasound on her. A doplar should hear their heartbeats and of course an ultrasound will show the kids. Is this the doe the came to you in horrible condition? I hate to say it, but the kids might not make it if that is the case. If you fear the kids aren't moving then you should get her examined right away as she might need help starting labor.

Do you know when she is due to kid?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Please come visit Nora and I our our new blog: http://FarmgirlAlee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

mommakatof2
True Blue Farmgirl

62 Posts

nieki
dalhart texas
USA
62 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2008 :  10:18:54 AM  Show Profile
No I don't know when she is due. The people who had her didn't even know she was pregnant. Honestly, as many problems she's had and being too skinny, I'd rather her lose the babies than her. I swear this vet here doesn't know what he's talking about.
Thanks for the help. I'll let you know what happens.
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2008 :  11:29:58 AM  Show Profile
Nieki,

grinding her teeth means she is either started in labor or feeling pain of some sort. Does she looked like she has dropped or bagging up ? I would still give her the stuff for ketosis with the yoguart and mix up a chewable calcium pill with this and try to get this down her. If no keto get is available then mix in some brown sugar with it. If you would like to talk to me on the phone send me your phone number to my email and I can call you so we can cover more ground quickly. If you do not want to do that then I will do the best I can in here. Let me know. I am very concerned for her and you.
Linda

Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2008 :  12:45:11 PM  Show Profile
Hi grace,
I went to farmstead.com and ended up with a business website. So I did a search and came up with farmsteadhealth.com.
Is this the same sight you were talking about. They have a newsletter and herbal wormer and books? I wanted to make sure this was the same place. Thanks.
Also sounds like Nikie is really having trouble with her doe. Without seeing her personaly it makes it hard but the fact she is grinding her teeth means something has changed like labor or maybe pain from something else. Anyway thought you might have a good suggestion for her. Things just don't sound good.Take care.
Linda

Go to Top of Page

Carol
Moderator/MaryJane's Design Diva

452 Posts

Carol
Moscow Idaho
USA
452 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2008 :  1:33:51 PM  Show Profile
Remember, girls, not a good idea to publish your e-mail addresses and phone numbers on the web. We have a feature built into this forum to e-mail another user (just click on the user's name to see that), and recommend that you use that feature instead of posting your information, which can be harvested by automatic "robots."

Thanks!
Carol

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming 'WOO HOO, what a ride!'"
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2008 :  1:49:06 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Carol,

I figured out how to delete my reply. Super big thanks for the warning. I kind of got caught up in helping Nikie and forgot that these things can happen. Thank you once again!!
Linda

Go to Top of Page

jillofalltrades
True Blue Farmgirl

90 Posts

Nicole

USA
90 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2008 :  9:44:15 PM  Show Profile  Click to see jillofalltrades's MSN Messenger address  Send jillofalltrades a Yahoo! Message
One great site for holistic care or herbal treatments is FiasCo Farms. http://fiascofarm.com/goats/index.htm
They have a ton of information on goat care, health, & husbandry. As well as herbal information for all animals.

Nicole~ mom to Makinlee Georganna
Louisiana born & bred
Currently living abroad in South Korea

http://www.offshorewifeslife.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2008 :  06:33:25 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Neiki-

Any update on the goat? I hope she's doing better!!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Please come visit Nora and I our our new blog:
http://FarmgirlAlee.blogspot.com" target="_blank"> http://FarmgirlAlee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

mommakatof2
True Blue Farmgirl

62 Posts

nieki
dalhart texas
USA
62 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2008 :  08:29:39 AM  Show Profile
Sad news...Whitie went into labor about 5:30 last night. She lost both her babies, they were stillborn. I could tell they weren't to term. I took her to the vet this morning cause she still hadn't passed the afterbirth. They ran a ultrasound and everything looked okay. They also gave her some Oxytocin to help her expel the afterbirth. She's doing okay, eating better, but we still have a long way to go. A lot of thanks is due to Linda, if she hadn't helped, I would have lost my doe too.

Thanks again for your help Linda!

Nieki
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2008 :  09:30:59 AM  Show Profile
'I am so sorry for your loss
I know it is so hard to have to go thru that but we will focus on getting the girl healthy and ready to start a new. I would continue with the yogurt and also add rasberry leaves (which you can get at the health food store) This will help her mind and body.

You are right about the farmstead site - I need to dig out their catalogues and get a few things for my girls.

I agree whenever you see a goat or sheep grind their teeth - stop and figure out why. They do that when in pain and that is their only way to tell you their is a problem. Also if they are grinding their teeth I would give them "Rescue Remedy" which you can also get at the health food store. This is something I give to myself too.

I send you hugs and prayers to you and your girl.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2008 :  11:09:27 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Neiki-

I am so sorry to hear about the still born babies, but I hope this gives your girl time to get herself healthy. It sounds like the pregnancy was a bit too much for her in that condition. *hugs*

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
http://FarmgirlAlee.blogspot.com" target="_blank"> http://FarmgirlAlee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2878 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2878 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2008 :  8:30:54 PM  Show Profile
Like I said before, Linda knows her goats.. I have 2 of her does(some of the most GORGEOUS Nubies ever) & she is a wealth of information. She has been there every step of the way for me & it didn't surprise me in the least that she contacted Nieki to help with her doe. Nieki, your doe is lucky to have you to care for her, & with all your loving care, I am sure she will pull through(& if you need help, Linda will be there too!!)
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2008 :  8:33:14 PM  Show Profile
Nikie I was so glad to help you. Just wished we didn't live so many states away. I would have been by your side. Thank God we were able to work together on the phone. I have enjoyed helping and also getting to know you. Talk to you later. Big hugs !!

Linda

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2008 :  8:41:44 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Isn't that the great thing about this site? It really helps us women network together and share information and aid each other. I love it!!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2008 :  8:42:36 PM  Show Profile
Now your making me blush Lisa. I have learned alot over the years but I still have a ton more to learn. Goats are a complex and wonderful animal and I will always be intrigued by them. I will keep doing my best to learn more because I just love the heck out of them. Thanks for the compliment.
I am just glad Nikie's goat Whitie is eating and on them mend. I know she found a loving home with Nikie. She really went all out for her goat she rescued. She is one lucky goat !!! Nikie you get some sleep too. Nite all.
Linda

Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2008 :  03:41:15 AM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
Neiki,
I had a goat that I had an aweful time keeping up to weight, so I wanted to offer a few ideas that helped me. First, detox her by adding a chopped clove of garlic to her morning feed (she should eat this no problem, but if not molassas with remedy that) and then start adding about 2 tablespoons flax seed to both her morning and evening feed. I also used an omega 3 oil (about 1/4 cup) that is made for horses and dogs and drizzled that over her grain. I cant remember the name of it, but I got it at my local southern states and it was red and smelled like apples.
Good luck. Corrine

It sounds so good to hear myself laugh. --Rascal Flats, "No Reins"
Go to Top of Page

mommakatof2
True Blue Farmgirl

62 Posts

nieki
dalhart texas
USA
62 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2008 :  07:11:22 AM  Show Profile
Thanks everyone, I'm almost in tears here. Whitie is doing much much better. She's eating pretty good and up and moving now. I just wish I knew how long she will hollor for her missing babies. It just sounds so heartbreaking, makes me want to cry. But I think she is going to do a lot better, since she doesn't have the load of the babies on her. I'll keep everyone updated. Thanks again. Nieki
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic herbal remedies for goats Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page