Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Parenting & Farm Kids
 Brag book, test drive, getting to know you.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Brag book, test drive, getting to know you. Next Topic
Page: of 2

Whimsy_girl
True Blue Farmgirl

576 Posts

USA
576 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2005 :  12:10:08 AM  Show Profile
I have 2 girls, who are 22 months and 9 months.. My oldest is Kaylee and the baby is Halsey Jo.

Halsey just started learning to walk this week, She is up to taking about 5 steps at a time before she crashes. She has 5 teeth and the front two are so spaced out that she has a Madonna thing going right now.

Kaylee has been pointing at me and saying "dummy" all day long but I don't mind because she's referring to my old Gumby t-shirt that I wear when I'm cleaning.. She chatters all the time and calls her grandma "Mla ma" and grandpa is "Plop pa". We're potty training and when she is doing something she doesn't want to.. like when she is supposed to be eating dinner but she'd rather go play.. she will look right at me and say "poop" so of course I whisk her into the bathroom and then she grabs her tub toys and tries to play... never actually goes... She's very wiley like that.

Tell me about your kids!!

you can be oh so smart, or you can be oh so positive. I wasted a lot of time being smart I prefer being positive.

TheSoapMaven
True Blue Farmgirl

691 Posts

Susan
LA
USA
691 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2005 :  05:10:21 AM  Show Profile  Send TheSoapMaven a Yahoo! Message
All six of mine have been/are being raised in the country. They are 27, 25, 24, 17, 13 and 9. All have been homeschooled. The three older ones all live in "the city" now due to work obligations but head home to the country for some quiet and "real food" every chance they get.

Zach the oldest is the father of our first/only grandchild - Samuel who is 20 months and just an amazing child. I have never seen a happier baby in my life. He is a joy. Zach and Samuel live about an hour away but will be moving early fall to 3 hours away. He works for Verizon. He loves hockey and reading and music.

Gesikah and her husband Jason live 30 minutes east of here. She is a homemaker, he works for a communications network. No children. She is just so much like Jerry's mom...so talented in anything she puts her mind to. Needlecraft, painting, cake decorating.

Nathan lives an hour away and works driving HazMat. He is planning to marry when his fiance finishes school. She is studying to be a teacher. They have two "babies" - Charlie (dog) and LuLu (potbelly pig). Nathan is the fisherman, hunter of the family - loves all things outdoors.

Hannah will be a junior this year and doesnt know exactly what she wants to do after high school. But marrying a hockey player is down the line somewhere! The girl is the most avid hockey fan I have ever know. It all started the year the Dallas Stars lost to the New Jersey Devils in the playoffs in 2000. She watched one game with her cousin (who is a year older than her) and was hooked. She was in mourning and is still very miffed about all the contract dispute and year off. But is smiling again and asking when I am ordering NHL Center Ice. Hockey is back!! Oh and she loves karate. She is learning French and Hebrew. Biology is her favorite subject.

Rachel is just an amazing child. So quick to learn...taught me HTML when she was 9. Has run her own business (from 8-10). Had her picture and story in American Girl Magazine. She's going to be in 8th grade this year and DOES know what she wants to do after high school. She wants to attend Centenary College in Shreveport LA. Majoring in English and Philosophy. She has already contacted the college and will begin scholarship research this year. She loves music and reading and wants to earn a black belt in Karate. She is studying Latin and Hebrew this year and loves science as well especially meteorology.

Benjamin is in 4th grade this year. He is a most agreeable little boy. So kind and generous. He has been my comfort as my older children flew the nest. He loves Harry Potter, reading, video games, computers, karate, playing soccer with his sisters, riding bikes...collecting any kind of bug or creature that we are brave enough to capture...and we have had some doosies! Snakes, spiders, lizards of all sorts... Benjamin will be studying Hebrew this year and loves science and math...FINALLY a child who loves math! Jerry and I both do and quickly figured out it is not passed down!

We were attachment parents before it had a name. All our children were cloth diapered, breastfed (two of them till 4 years - don't faint!)and the younger three havent been fully immunized, though we are in the process of catching them up - with college around the corner we felt it was best. We have loved them unconditionally and still do. They are each a blessing and each unique. We have tried so hard not to compare them to each other (or anyone else for that matter!). We have taught them to work, to dig in the dirt. To be thankful for all they have and each other. My brother's children seem to hate each other and that just isnt allowed around here. We are a team. No bickering and getting on the outs with your siblings. They have your back when no one else will. Appreciate them, love them and come to their aid if need be.

When my older children were old enough to take part time jobs in town, they all worked for the same grocery store. The management learned the meaning of tag teaming very quickly. One particular time, Nathan was repremanded for something he and Gesikah both swore he didnt do. When he got called into the office, she went to. Two for the price of one. She got it all straightened out from what I hear. You would have to know her. She got the best and worst of both Jerry and me. She is unbelievably just and expects that from everyone else. Demands it in fact.

Can you tell I am a proud mommy??? I love my children more than life itself. It is what I do. It is who I am. They are the greatest gift. My husband and I are so blessed.

Susan
Proprietress of Dahlem's Soapworks http://www.thesoapmaven.com

Go to Top of Page

Whimsy_girl
True Blue Farmgirl

576 Posts

USA
576 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2005 :  1:00:32 PM  Show Profile
Thats fantastic! I plan on introducing the girls to karate as soon as they are old enough.

It sounds like you really have a great family.. it is really nice to hear how well you're doing. It gives me hope for my family.. It's kind of scary with little guys. I have no idea how their personalities are going to evolve, if they are going to like eachother as they get older...what the world will be like when they start going to school.. No wonder my hair is turning grey!

you can be oh so smart, or you can be oh so positive. I wasted a lot of time being smart I prefer being positive.
Go to Top of Page

FloralSaucer
True Blue Farmgirl

156 Posts

Australia
156 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2005 :  11:54:50 PM  Show Profile
Hi soap and whimsy, sorry to be cheeky, didn't mean to be!

sm, my children are 17, 14, 11, 8 and 3. So in ten years will be 27, 24, 21, 18 and 13, so a similiar family to yours only ten years behind. How old were you when the youngest was born, can I ask? I may have another, not sure.

I b/f my fourth until 4.5 years and still b/f daughter who will be 4 in December. I used cloth for the first three, the fourth for 3 years and the fifth cloth for over 1 year. I didn't know how to use disposables and was scared to do it at first.

It is interesting that you were very happy with having your sixth baby when the others were older. Mine eldest would be 18 if I have another. He plans to go to uni next year 5 hours away, we are planning on getting his laptop this weekend. Lovely to meet you both.
Go to Top of Page

Whimsy_girl
True Blue Farmgirl

576 Posts

USA
576 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2005 :  12:10:40 AM  Show Profile
I had intended to breastfeed longer but it didn't work out.. Kaylee was only 3 months old when I became pregnany with Halsey and I dried up by the time she was 5 months old.

With Halsey there was something she had a hard time with because she had the worst reflux problems ever I continued trying to breastfeed her until about 2 months ago, but we found that she could eat solids fine and only had the projectile spit up with breastmilk. I changed my diet every which way, then the Dr. had us try soy which worked ok, but then we tried an acid reflux formula which worked better and didn't have some of the health concerns that the soy had.

Go to Top of Page

TheSoapMaven
True Blue Farmgirl

691 Posts

Susan
LA
USA
691 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2005 :  02:36:58 AM  Show Profile  Send TheSoapMaven a Yahoo! Message
HI! I was 37 when my youngest was born. Nice to hear about your families! Bobbi...my Rachel had terrible tummy issues and still does to a degree. Food sensitivies. It is a long journey sometimes. And almost impossible not to expose her to things that upset her tummy. I hope she outgrows the reflux.

Susan

Go to Top of Page

Morning_Dew
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

Karen
cottageville sc
USA
17 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2005 :  06:40:44 AM  Show Profile  Send Morning_Dew a Yahoo! Message
i have two sons. only one at home he is 10. he invites other kids over to see how we tend the bees and to "taste test the honey". its a good way to teach kids about the true nature of honey bees, in a good fun way. he told his teacher about the bees she wants to come by now and see how the honey is takin out of the hive.yu would be surprized at how many people have fear of honey bees. my oldest son is 21 and the father of my only two grandchildren, (Aurora Skye 2 1/2 and Austin James born on the 24 july) he is in the army over in iraq. he should be home for thanksgiving dinner. i'm looking forward to having all my family here for the holiday.

every gardener should make time for the humming BIRDS and honey BEES, stop and smell the flowers.
Go to Top of Page

FloralSaucer
True Blue Farmgirl

156 Posts

Australia
156 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2005 :  10:11:12 PM  Show Profile
I didn't actually do anything about my kids and their projectile vomiting, I didn't know what it was called, it just happened I thought.

The first three did it, and the second two didn't. It makes such a difference not having to clean up milk! One of my daughters is named Hayley, so I like your children's names!

I hope you have a lovely Thanksgiving Karen.

Susan I am 41, my last I had at 38.
Go to Top of Page

showmemom
True Blue Farmgirl

166 Posts

karen
carthage mo
USA
166 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2005 :  05:04:45 AM  Show Profile
our kids are 25 (almost 26), 24, 20 and 12. I was 34 when the last one was born.

our oldest is Samuel-he's married just over a year; manages a feed/grain store in the town we live in. unfortunately, his wife does not like our family well so we have limited contact with him at the moment. very sad.

our oldest daughter is Katie. She is public relations director (her first adult job) for a regional hospital about 30 miles from us. She is planning her wedding to a lovely man, Brian, on Oct. 29. Lovely girl, very tightly wound right now-sure i'll like her again after the wedding (ha!)

zebulun is our 3rd child. full of smiles, wants to have a good time whereever he goes! that's our zeb. Wonderful musician-plays guitar, bass and drums. starting college again today. he went a year ago but couldn't really get the going to class everyday thing! so is paying for this semester out of his pocket-learning a hard lesson but the good news is he's learning.

and then there's grace, our baby. 12-almost 13. started junior high last thursday-not liking it much at the moment but is hopeful it will get better. never met a stranger, has the highest self-esteem of anyone i know and is lovely-inside and out.

breastfed them all-the last one for 4.5 years-quite a shocker here in the Midwest. my mom was sure she would go to kindergarden and still want to nurse! had a family bed too-we still all lay on the bed and talk about our days. they all have been in 4-H/FFA; grace is the only one still left. she loves animals and raises/shows several species and always wants to do more.

we also have had 2 young women in our home for a time; no formal adoption but they are my kids just the same. Becca is married, lives about 4 hrs. from us and is starting her first class room teaching job this year-6 & 7th grade English/History. married about 2 years, no babies yet. Raena lives in KC; dances in a Christian ministry and travels all over the world. not married as yet.

we are close to my mom, who moved to our town about 5 years ago. not long after they moved here, my sweet daddy died after fighting a long disease with heart disease. he was only 60. that was in august. and my DH's parents were killed in a MVA the night before thanksgiving the same year. so we continue to readjust our lives following that really bad time.

tried to raise our kids to close ranks and guard one another's backs-family first. it seems to have stuck so far with 3 of the 4.

this was kind of long but this was about as concise as it gets. am enjoying reading everyone's stories.

talk to you soon.
karen

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human face.
Victor Hugo
Go to Top of Page

Whimsy_girl
True Blue Farmgirl

576 Posts

USA
576 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2005 :  3:09:22 PM  Show Profile
hey 3 out of 4 are great odds :)

Go to Top of Page

FloralSaucer
True Blue Farmgirl

156 Posts

Australia
156 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2005 :  4:41:04 PM  Show Profile
Our Grace is 11, she will be 12 very soon, our third child. She is starting High School next January, our school year starts then. She enjoys playing the guitar, she also learns piano and was just at the point of playing clarinet in the school band but loves guitar so much she does that instead.

Our eldest is applying for university places this week, something in Accounting/Chinese or Economics/Chinese. He is a lovely boy, he will go away in March.

Our second is a great musician but doesn't appreciate it just at the moment. He is also very bright. Very sweet as well. He also loves cooking.

Our fourth is a real go getter. She is Hayley and wins competitions and is a great organiser. She has learnt ballet for 3 years but we had to give it up earlier this year. What kind of dance does Raena do?

My baby is 3 and a very good child, lovely curly hair, very bright as well. She is nice to have around. She loves dogs and cats and likes taking care of them.
Go to Top of Page

showmemom
True Blue Farmgirl

166 Posts

karen
carthage mo
USA
166 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2005 :  5:54:01 PM  Show Profile
you know, having a baby after "everyone" thought we were done has been great. as a little older mom, i was more relaxed and i was very concious of the fact that she probably really was the last one so i have tended to relax and really enjoy her. and she is a real joy-very sweet and kind.

i say go for it-have another baby if that's what you think is the plan for you and yours. it has been great for our family.

although i cannot STAND it when people say right in front of her "oh is she your little mistake?" honestly, what are people thinking???

talk to you soon.
karen

Victor Hugo
Go to Top of Page

FloralSaucer
True Blue Farmgirl

156 Posts

Australia
156 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2005 :  6:00:01 PM  Show Profile
That happened to me for the first time at the hairdressers the other day. Does she want me to come back lol?
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2005 :  6:31:51 PM  Show Profile
There is a planned 10 year age span between my daughters. When very pregnant with my 2nd daughter and standing in a grocery line with my 9 year old daughter a woman had the odacity to look at my daughter and then my pregnant belly and say OOOPPPS! and laugh. I was feeling testy and said this oooopps was an AAAAHHHHHHH...smiled and then ignored her. GEEEEZ, some people!

Being is what it is. Jean Paul Sartre
Go to Top of Page

Whimsy_girl
True Blue Farmgirl

576 Posts

USA
576 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2005 :  6:51:58 PM  Show Profile
I get the exact same kind of response when people see my 2 so close together!

I think people just HAVE to have something to remark about...

Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2005 :  6:57:29 PM  Show Profile
Well, I have an only child...now 26. Try that for fencing off rude remarks. Even wonderful people who are parents themselves will make terrible remarks about "only" children being spoiled and selfish and unable to socialize. Not true! my daughter is loving and caring and is a good mother herself now, and expecting her second child. She has always been thoughtful and naturally full of integrity.

Four weeks after I had her, I had a hysterectomy, so our choice was made for us. It has made us no less a family unit than if we had several children.

jpbluesky
heartland girl
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2005 :  9:18:07 PM  Show Profile
I love being a mom and have 7 children...two homemade and 5 adopted; Corey, who is 27 and going through a divorce (was married 5 years) who has a wonderful daughter who just turned 3. He has her half the time and is a wonderful dad,and works as a handyman and does construction. He is really talented and can do anything he sets his mind to.Second is Casey, who is 25 and single who is a plumber and loves to fish and can fix anything! He is a great uncle and is cute..they are both tall and good looking and I miss them alot..they both live in Calif right now.
Then I have Adopted son Justin who is 20 and is going to college in Calif too..he is the smartest guy I know and is going to be an aeronautical engineer or something like that.(seriously) He is amazing. He came in to our family when he was just turning 15 and is my 9 year old son's half brother. Next is Summer, who we adopted 2 years ago. She will soon be 11 and is my best helper. She is alot like me...stubborn, bossy, a tomboy for the most part and busy..haha. She is a hard worker and a great "mini mom". She loves to play softball and also has been playing the piano for a year now and is quite good. Then comes Travis who just turned 9. He is really really smart like his older brother and is so much fun. He loves to draw and ride his bike and is a great reader. He has more freckles than most little boys and is cute as can be. He came into the family when he was 3.
Next is daughter Erin, who is almost 9.She has been in the family for two years. She is our girly girl and loves to dance and sing. She took dance for 2 years and now has decided to start taking piano lessons instead. She is small for her age, and wears glasses...looks like the American girl doll,Molly. She is just a joy to be around. Our youngest is Dalton who just turned 8 a few months ago. He the sweetest guy. He is tall for his age, and loves to play baseball. He has some speech and learning problems, but has made great strides since he joined our family in November. He was 7. His adoption will be final on Thursday so that will be a big day for our family. We are having a big party here on Saturday..he requested barbqued hot dogs (his favorite food..yuck) and a BIG cake. Should be fun!!
My last three kids have only 4 months between them..so for 4 months of the year I have "triplets". Right now I have a 10 year old, a nine year old and two eight year olds, soon it will be an 11 year old, two nine year olds and an eight year old..we have alot of October birthdays. WE get alot of comments about how the kids dont' look like each other..which is funny since the ones who look the most alike are not blood related...oh well. And we get the comments about how close in age they are..size wise they look like they are about a year apart each..so that would be possible..having the last three with a 4 months space between..not possible ..haha I would have been 39 when the last one was born..so that is okay I guess.
I am loving having the younger kids at home now. I havn't been without at least one child still at home since I was 19!!
My husband and I have been married for almost 10 years. He didn't come with any kids..I came with the two oldest boys..who were actually nearly grown by then. Steve is the greatest..have never been sorry I married him ..ever!! He is a hard worker and a great husband and father. I am amazed at the blessings I have!
++

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things
Go to Top of Page

showmemom
True Blue Farmgirl

166 Posts

karen
carthage mo
USA
166 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2005 :  08:01:00 AM  Show Profile
hey jenny-

congratulations on your adoption finale! what a great family yours sounds like.

have lots of fun-you have something HUGE to celebrate.

talk to you soon.
karen

Victor Hugo
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2005 :  11:40:14 AM  Show Profile
It should be so much fun..we are going to make homemade rootbeer too... a big treat!!!

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

FloralSaucer
True Blue Farmgirl

156 Posts

Australia
156 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2005 :  6:07:11 PM  Show Profile
Not long until Thursday. How do you do your hotdogs?

I have had kids at home for 17 years during the day, since I was 24.

At one school my daughters went to they made an issue of one being fair, blond and average, and the other tall, dark with darker skin. They must think they are not sisters, which is sad. Not all darker skinned people are non Anglo!

Jenny you are a good role model, I have been worried that maybe I should stop having kids at home during the day, there is always some kind of background social pressure in our minds isn't there?

Edited by - FloralSaucer on Aug 23 2005 6:11:06 PM
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2005 :  6:44:12 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Floralsaucer! We will grill the hotdogs on a gas grill.

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

TheSoapMaven
True Blue Farmgirl

691 Posts

Susan
LA
USA
691 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2005 :  7:02:37 PM  Show Profile  Send TheSoapMaven a Yahoo! Message
Truly Jenny, you are so blessed. Enjoy your celebration! Hugs all around!!!

Susan

Go to Top of Page

FloralSaucer
True Blue Farmgirl

156 Posts

Australia
156 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2005 :  7:05:52 PM  Show Profile
Are they the ones with red skins? I first heard they could be done that way on the weekend, when my kids went with youth group to the snow.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2005 :  8:35:05 PM  Show Profile
I guess..they are the cheap ones for sure though...not the nice ones with a snap to the skins. (I mean nice as hot dogs go..not my favorite thing) My boys like them almost burned black when we do them over a campfire.

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

mama0moon
Farmgirl in Training

14 Posts

Stephanie
New Hampshire
USA
14 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2005 :  2:53:23 PM  Show Profile  Send mama0moon an AOL message  Send mama0moon a Yahoo! Message
Homeschooling, attachment parenting, a woman after my own heart. Your children sound wonderful.

Steph

quote:
Originally posted by TheSoapMaven

All six of mine have been/are being raised in the country. They are 27, 25, 24, 17, 13 and 9. All have been homeschooled. The three older ones all live in "the city" now due to work obligations but head home to the country for some quiet and "real food" every chance they get.

Go to Top of Page

mama0moon
Farmgirl in Training

14 Posts

Stephanie
New Hampshire
USA
14 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2005 :  3:13:31 PM  Show Profile  Send mama0moon an AOL message  Send mama0moon a Yahoo! Message
My one and only, Newt, is 5, she'll be 6 in October. She will most likely be my only as I suffer infertility. She is also my greatest joy as I managed to have her despite the infertility (and no drugs or medical interevention of any kind). We did attachment parenting with her, she breastfed until two months after her 3rd birthday (and still has moments when she tells me how much she misses it.) She is homeschooling and learning French and Spanish. She adores all things creepy crawly, she is Newt! Queen of the amphibians..:D
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Brag book, test drive, getting to know you. Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page