Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Reading Room
 The Red Tent - a book round robin
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Reading Room: Previous Topic The Red Tent - a book round robin Next Topic
Page: of 3

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2005 :  6:52:57 PM  Show Profile
I happened across a paperback copy of The Red Tent by Anita Diamant today. It is in good condition, a little yellowish around the edges but other than that, good with no bent pages.

If you're not familiar with this favorite of women, especially mature women, here is a synopsis from the back cover:

"Told in Dinah's voice, this novel reveals the traditions and turmoil of ancient womanhood -- the world of the red tent. It begins with the story of her mothers--Leah, Rachel, Zilpah, and Bilhah--the four wives of Jacob. They love Dinah and give her gifts that are to sustain her through a hard-working youth, a calling to midwifery, and a new home in a foreign land. Dinah's story reaches out from a remarkable period of early history and creates an intimate, immediate connection. Deeply affecting, THE RED TENT combines rich storytelling with a valuable achievement in modern fiction: a new view of biblical women's society."

I have been deeply affected by this book and picked up this extra copy to share with all of you who are interested. I thought I would accummulate a list of interested people, then send it out, when they finish they can send it on to the next on the list. Media mail postage will be about $1.84.

If you'd like to be on the list, email me using the link (click on my name and you'll see the link to click on in my profile). Include your real name, member name, and complete mailing address. I'll leave the posting time open until next Wednesday, August 24, at 8pm Pacific. At that time I'll publish a list and send it out to the first person who contacts me. The list will go with the book, along with your address. Please try to adhere to a 3 week maximum time to read the book and get it posted on to the next on the list.

Happy, enriching women's reading, girls (and guys)!

**** Love is the great work - though every heart is first an apprentice. - Hafiz
Set a high value on spontaneous kindness. - Samuel Johnson****

Edited by - Clare on Aug 19 2005 05:19:16 AM

TheSoapMaven
True Blue Farmgirl

691 Posts

Susan
LA
USA
691 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2005 :  8:30:08 PM  Show Profile  Send TheSoapMaven a Yahoo! Message
I have my own copy...but wonder if we could do a re-read and discussion...kinda like a farmgirl book club??? Just a thought.

I too was greatly affected by this book. It bought things to my heart that I never considered. It's beautiful. And in my opinion, life changing.

Or maybe after everyone has read it -that wants to...then maybe we could talk about it. I am going to re-read it either way. Thanks for reminding me.

Susan
Proprietress of Dahlem's Soapworks http://www.thesoapmaven.com

Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2005 :  8:58:16 PM  Show Profile
I recently finished a re-read of the book too Susan. I know Julie at the farm has recently listened to the book on tape. We could discuss it here as you encounter items you'd like to discuss. And when the book makes it's rounds, we can just keep it going. I'll see if I can find some discussion points that book clubs would use.

Ahh, here we are, a discussion point list (scroll down in the link):

http://www.readinggroupguides.com/guides/red_tent.asp

**** Love is the great work - though every heart is first an apprentice. - Hafiz

Edited by - Clare on Aug 18 2005 9:11:08 PM
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2005 :  05:03:53 AM  Show Profile
Here are a few questions and answers from the author's own web site that offers some insight in her approach to writing this book:

How did you do your research?
My research focused on the everyday life of women in this period of history, in the ancient Near East. I did not study the Bible or rabbinic sources, but concentrated instead on the food, clothing, social organization, architecture, and medicine of the era (ca. 1500 BCE).

I was the recipient of a library fellowship at Radcliffe College at the Schlesinger Library on the History of American Women, which permitted me access to the entire Harvard Library system. I also had access to the Brandeis library system, thanks to the women's studies department, which appointed me a visiting scholar for a year.

Was there really a red tent in ancient times?
I did not find any evidence that women in this period of history in this place (ancient Iraq/Israel) used a menstrual tent. However, menstrual tents and huts are a common feature in pre-modern cultures around the world, from native Americans, to Africans. The rendering of what happened inside that tent is entirely my own creation.

What exactly are the midwife's "bricks"?
First off, these bricks have nothing to do with the reddish oblongs that comprise houses and fireplaces. Midwife's bricks, which I found mentioned in various historic sources, were probably flat and certainly large enough to stand on. There is some debate about what they were used for. They may have had a purely "magical" function, or they may have helped the laboring mother to keep her footing while she squatted to deliver her baby.

How is it that the female characters worship gods other than the god of Jacob?
The Bible mentions the presence of "teraphim," which are household idols/gods in the house of Laban. At the time of the story, a whole pantheon of gods and goddesses were worshipped. The notion of monotheism grew out of this context, in which the family god or El (a generic name for "god") of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, co-existed with other gods.

From a Jewish/Christian perspective, this is long before Sinai and the Ten Utterances, which command "You shall have no other gods before me." Which is in itself a tantalizing nod to the existence of other dieties.

What led you to characterize Rebecca as you did?
The biblical character of Rebecca is that of a fierce, headstrong woman. She knows which of her sons is chosen by God, and she manipulates one son against the other, and deceives her husband. From that starting point, I pushed the character further, and made her a kind of oracle.

Why did you change the rape to a love affair?
I could never reconcile the story of Genesis 34 with a rape, because the prince does not behave like a rapist! After the prince is said to have "forced" her (a determination made by the brothers, not by Dinah), he falls in love with her, asks his father to get Jacob's permission to marry her, and then agrees to the extraordinary, even grotesque demand that he and all the men of his community submit to circumcision.

Furthermore, I wanted Dinah and all of the women in my story to be active agents in their own lives, not passive pawns or victims.

Where did the idea for The Red Tent come from?
I had just turned 40, needed a new career challenge after writing non-fiction for 20-plus years, and turned to the most venerable source for story ideas: the Bible. Although I started out thinking I'd write the story of the relationship between Rachel and Leah, I found Dinah's story to be very dramatic and compelling. Also her total silence in Genesis inspired me to tell the story from her perspective

What is the meaning of the word, "Selah?"
Selah is a formal prayer-like response; a sort of "amen" said after "amen" has been offered. The word's meaning and origins are unclear. Selah might have been a musical term, denoting a pause or silence in a song or piece of music. It might also be related to the Hebrew word for "rock" or "stone." It is not a proper name.

Go to Top of Page

BlueEggBabe
True Blue Farmgirl

417 Posts

Susan
PA
417 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2005 :  06:58:55 AM  Show Profile
I ordered my copy of the Red Tent from Amazon last week after our chat on the Women's Moontime thread.Should be here any day now.
I read through the discussion questions and am so intrigued by them.
Can't wait to dig into this one....I am in need of a inspirational "feminine jump-start!"

Sue

"If more of us valued good food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world place."
J.J.R.Tolkien
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2005 :  07:31:29 AM  Show Profile
Ok, I'm going to try and find it at Barnes and Noble, any chance???

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2005 :  08:23:22 AM  Show Profile
Yes, I'm sure Kim; however, you can get added to the list too... it's not that long. Whichever works!

Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2005 :  09:22:50 AM  Show Profile
I think I'll have to go to Barnes & Noble. I won;t be able to wait for the book! I have no patience!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!That way I'll be able to jump righ tin.

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2005 :  09:34:44 AM  Show Profile
Clare -- I think this is a great idea! I've heard of this book. A women's group at our church actually did a study with it but I did not take part. You have my info from the mail art list but if you want me to email you again I will.

"If you are lucky enough to have a garden, you are lucky enough!"
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2005 :  10:41:50 AM  Show Profile
Gotcha, Kay!

Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2005 :  10:45:46 AM  Show Profile
I have dug out my copy and ready to discuss! Someone had mentioned Women Who Run with the Wolves being a life changing book also...that one along with Red Tent jarred my psyche!

Being is what it is. Jean Paul Sartre
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2005 :  10:50:28 AM  Show Profile
When I recently re-read this book, I was surprised with the intensity of my reactions to some of the events. I had to put it down and do something else and think about things. You may want to start a re-read too Meadowlark. I might suprise ya - did me!

Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2005 :  12:45:50 PM  Show Profile
I like this round robin book idea. I have already read the Red Tent twice and if sure did change my life. I think we should do this round robin with other books besides. I love used books I thinking about sending someone on the adventure that I just went on. The pages start to curl and get soft. I'd be up for a round robin book tour. I've got a good idea for a book too that I one had mentioned reading yet. The Moon Under Her Feet is the title and it's a book that sits right next to The Red Tent on my book self.

Blessed Be
www.sqrlbee.com/artisan

Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2005 :  1:11:10 PM  Show Profile
Sounds interesting, Melissa! Start a new topic and tell us more about it!

Edited by - Clare on Aug 19 2005 1:11:31 PM
Go to Top of Page

TheSoapMaven
True Blue Farmgirl

691 Posts

Susan
LA
USA
691 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2005 :  04:49:17 AM  Show Profile  Send TheSoapMaven a Yahoo! Message
Okay, I have spent the last two day trying to locate my copy of The Red Tent somewhere in this library we call home! All I can figure is I loaned it and it didnt come back. SO---I am having a friend pick me up a copy Tuesday when she goes into "the city". Then I will be more able to post and discuss. I need to buy about 6 copies and put them up for when I need a gift.

Susan

Go to Top of Page

The Handmaiden
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

Kim
Shreveport Louisiana
USA
214 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2005 :  11:00:35 AM  Show Profile
Clare, I think you must get more done in a 24 hour period than anyone I know!...and that mind is going constantly coming up with great ideas for us all! I loved the Red Tent, and will eagerly reread to discuss. Susan, I'm gonna be like you and have to try and unearth it especially since I've moved, but all my books are in one place....I think. I'm thinking of all sorts of comments to make, but I'll refrain till we get started.
Sitting on ready, waiting on GO!

"Faith shall finish all that Hope begins."

joan walsh anglund
Go to Top of Page

goalieboy
True Blue Farmgirl

69 Posts

erik
moscow id
USA
69 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2005 :  10:27:11 PM  Show Profile
One aspect of this book that really struck me was how it portrayed ownership. The author was really skillful at making me truly ill over how people treat each other based on the accepted social hierarchy of the day, but without hitting me over the head with it. For instance, there were slaves in this book. She really didn't have to say much about them other than they were naked (which she did a half-dozen times). This was all I had to know. Can you imagine living in a situation where you own nothing, not even clothing to protect and warm yourself? Related to this is the way men imposed themselves in the sacred aspect of being a woman. It is the twisted ideals of this type of ownership of people that allows men to steal the seal breaking ritual of first menstruation and use it instead to prove their daughter/sister is a virgin, thus upping the Bride Price/Dowry and supposed social prestige. This particular ideal is still alive today as certain types of men AND women would rather kill/maim (some literally, some psychologically) their offspring/relative rather than deal with their own perceived (paranoid) social shame. I will never understand this type of human and the author did a good job of portraying these types of fascists as the idiots they are.

I was a bit surprised at the author's slam of early Judaism. She is a Jewish scholar and has written about it's history and faith in many non-fiction books, yet her portrayal of Jacob, who changed his name to Israel out of shame, is a real mixed bag. It sure got me pissed at him and it was with quite a bit of relief that the main character got the heck out of Canaan and into Egypt.

Ok, that’s part of my take on it, but I don’t want to hog the discussion, just get it started. It’s late and I’m sure I’ve misspelled half the words on this post. But I would like to say that I was initially a bit put off by the style and voice of this book. I thought she made too many sweeping statements about the character’s traits and personalities. But I got into it after awhile and enjoyed it quite a bit. Thanks, Clare.
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2005 :  06:17:59 AM  Show Profile
Erik, I agree with you on all your points. I think the reason that women, in particular, are so struck by this novel is that it brings many startling historic facts to life and presents them to us as so disturbing that we feel compelled to learn from that and make positive changes. And the fact that the author creates the red tent in this culture as a way for women to have control over some aspect of their lives and be a haven is such a statement of spiritual power, if not physical power.

I too, am sickened by the thought of many things in this book. Why did Jacob feel compelled to do the things he did? Why did the women feel powerless to change the system? Was being fed regularly the tie that bound all of these women and slaves to their masters? I think a bit of his mother's dimentia at the end of her life carried over into his and his insane ways. The mass circumscion requirement was so overwhelming to me that I had to put the book down for several days, that's how disturbed I was by it. I don't remember having this same reaction the first time I read it. This requirement is as insane as are the reactions of past and current cultural rituals that you mentioned. Somehow the maiming of girls in Africa that is taking place now, still, seems tied to this same concept of horror.

I did really like the aspect of midwifery depicted in the book. This is the one area other than cooking, and perhaps spinning & weaving, where women were allowed to shine, if not feel downright powerful in their own quiet ways. They were healers who listened to their own voices, who mentored each other into skillful ways, they listened to one another and all women, and in listening empowered their spirits, which could be very disspirited by the times.

I did wish that Dinah's adult life wouldn't have seemed to whisk by so rapidly in comparison to her childhood years as depicted in the book. Perhaps her dispair at being alone during her remaining years was enough said, even though she lived a quiet, somewhat fulfilling midwifery life.

I hope our culture turns once again to honoring our elders for their wisdom. And the book is a good reminder that we all need to have a strong social conscious and convictions and to stand up for what we believe to be unfair treatment now, in our own times. Put in modern terms: VOTE.

Thank you for your input, Erik. It was very well said, with nary a spelling error that I could see.

Edited by - Clare on Aug 23 2005 09:43:32 AM
Go to Top of Page

TheSoapMaven
True Blue Farmgirl

691 Posts

Susan
LA
USA
691 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2005 :  09:35:02 AM  Show Profile  Send TheSoapMaven a Yahoo! Message
As I mentioned I have been unable to find my old copy, dogeared and marked in. So, my friend is bringing me a brand new copy today. She had to go into "the city" to a dr. appt, and I had her go to the bookstore for me. I am so anxious to re read this book. I will be putting my 2 cents in soon.

Clare, thanks for starting this.

Susan

Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2005 :  5:22:29 PM  Show Profile
The waiting time just got cut in half today, as I found another copy of The Red Tent to circulate. If you're interested let me know by Wednesday.

Edited by - Clare on Aug 23 2005 5:22:59 PM
Go to Top of Page

TheSoapMaven
True Blue Farmgirl

691 Posts

Susan
LA
USA
691 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2005 :  6:59:47 PM  Show Profile  Send TheSoapMaven a Yahoo! Message
I have my brand new copy! I started reading this evening. I forgot how great it really is. Looking forward to posting more later.

Susan

Go to Top of Page

ByHzGrace
True Blue Farmgirl

348 Posts

348 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2005 :  05:25:00 AM  Show Profile
Iliked the sisterhood. Who would you have been drawn to if you were Dinah?
Leah, Rachel,Zilpah,Bilhah? Inna,Tabea, Werenro, or Meryt?
Go to Top of Page

goalieboy
True Blue Farmgirl

69 Posts

erik
moscow id
USA
69 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2005 :  07:49:12 AM  Show Profile
Meryt. She was the most fun.
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2005 :  08:41:31 AM  Show Profile
I think I would pick Leah for her strength and Meryt for her fun and wisdom.

Go to Top of Page

Julie
MaryJane's Farmgirl

60 Posts

Julie
Moscow ID
USA
60 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2005 :  09:48:12 AM  Show Profile
This is not the book that changed my life as some have said; rather it reminded me of certain situations that did cause change. Monday was my daughters 23rd birthday. I thought of her all day and then it hit me….she is the reason for the biggest change in my life. Her birth made me spellbound in this world. The Red Tent just reminded me of all the emotional joy of birth and being a young woman. Just minutes after her birth I broke down into tears, not from the pain, but rather from the fact I would now have to face the world differently. As a mother, as a teacher, as a mentor, as a best friend to someone who would watch me grow as I would watch her grow and eventually let her go into the world on her own. I felt the pain of Rachel wanting a baby so badly that she would do anything to be a mother. There are so many women today that deal with the heartbreak of losing a child or never being able to give birth. This kind of pain never goes away.
I am so grateful that I have many wonderful women relationships. The friendships of the Red Tent just signify that we all need circles of friends, men and women. We learn from each other, otherwise or lives would be boring, and only boring people get bored. Dinah knew how important it was to help others and as a midwife. This was her calling to the people who needed her most. We all have strengths; sometimes we just need a push to find them. The men of the Red Tent haunt me. Power Over is the way they lived their lives and treated all their wives and relationships. Why couldn’t they just be friends with their wives instead of always belittling them? This is still a huge problem in today’s society. Will we ever get to a place where nice people win? Where relationships can be as easy as drying a dish or sweeping a floor. Why is it that there always has to be a challenge in order to feel like one can accomplish something good in life?
Clare & Erik, Meryt was one of my favorites also. She so much reminds me of my good friend Donna. Always constant in her friendship and knowing just the right thing to say even if I did not want to hear it.

Food Stylin' & Fancy Free
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2005 :  10:09:08 AM  Show Profile
You expressed yourself so well, Julie! I agree, it makes us reflect on our lives, our births and our deaths. Speaking of births, I think we had the same reaction at the birth of our daughters. My daughter turns 27 on Sunday. I have a vivid memory of laying in that bed, alone with her and promising her that I would always be there for her, doing the best I could do. My, how we grew together, she and I facing the world alone, doing the best we both could.

Feeling another's pain, even through literature, is one way we increase our compassion. I think that's why I had such strong reactions to the story - because every unjust event just rocked me to the core... how could Jacob do this or that? It's unthinkable, yet history proves that these attitudes and things occured. Sometimes it's just too much to contemplate. Have to release it, bring myself back to the present, be thankful for what I have, as you are too. Gather our circle of friends and loved ones together in harmony.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Reading Room: Previous Topic The Red Tent - a book round robin Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page