Printer Friendly
Author Reading Room: Previous Topic Wonderful Book! Next Topic  

KJD
True Blue Farmgirl

402 Posts

402 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2005 :  10:12:25 AM  Show Profile
Hi, all -
I came across a great book at a used store several days ago. It's called Country Ways: A Celebration of Rural Life. It's made by Reader's Digest. A big, beautiful book with everything most of us love - sections include "Country Ways", and has chapters on country roads, bridges, roadside stands, porches, crafts, quilting, country towns, gatherings, fairs, cemeteries, etc. Another section is "Downhome Cooking" and you can imagine! Another is "Country Stories" and finally, "Country Songbook". The photographs and drawings are amazing and I just love this book! I haven't checked the online used sources, but I highly recommend this if you can find it!

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2005 :  10:19:43 AM  Show Profile
What is the copyright date, KJD? That will help with my search. Sounds wonderful! Thanks.

May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently through the world and know its beauty all the days of your life. ~~Apache Blessing
Go to Top of Page

KJD
True Blue Farmgirl

402 Posts

402 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2005 :  10:45:05 AM  Show Profile
Clare, the copyright is 1988 by The Reader's Digest Association, Inc.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2005 :  1:04:50 PM  Show Profile
I love that one KJD..I have it too...don't even remember from where..but it was used when I got it...it does have some neat stuff in it!!

Jenny in Utah
Put all your eggs in one basket..and then watch that basket!! Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2005 :  1:41:35 PM  Show Profile

Hey Farm Girls!!

I think that I would like the Country Songbook the best!!!

Connie

cozycottage
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2005 :  1:45:01 PM  Show Profile
KJD, That sounds like a great book...some of those older ones are so good. Everything country seems to be eternal. Thanks for the tip!

If I keep a green bough in my heart, the singing bird will come.
Go to Top of Page

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2005 :  1:46:00 PM  Show Profile

Hey Farm Girls!!!!

Well I just looked it up in our library catalog and the only thing that I could find that was similar was a book called "Country Ways; the secret of finding and keeping a country man" !!!!!

Hmmm, wonder if there are any similarities???

Connie

cozycottage
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2005 :  1:51:57 PM  Show Profile
I did an online google search, Connie, and it brought me to the WorldCat catalog. I put in my zip code and found it at a library about 75 miles away. I called my library and asked them if they could do an inter-library loan, and they said they could! So, hopefully it won't be too long before I can view this too! From my own library's online website I found pages and pages of Reader's Digest books, but not this one..... so I'm feeling rather lucky! (Didn't find it at Amazon either, even though they too have pages and pages of RD books.)
ohhhh... just re-read your post... hmmmm.... we know the secrets, don't we??? Don't need a book for that one!

May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently through the world and know its beauty all the days of your life. ~~Apache Blessing

Edited by - Clare on Oct 11 2005 1:57:59 PM
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2005 :  4:07:17 PM  Show Profile
Girls! Our used book store was full of some wonderful books today! I hit PAY DIRT!Found a good copy of RD Country Ways for $3.00, Good Old Days in the Kitchen and Good Old days Country Wisdom published by House of White Burches, lots of old old recipes and vintage pictures and stories, and Of Wolves and Men by Barry Lopez about man's stormy and misunderstood relationship over the centuries with the wolf, and how this animal was almost wiped off the continent in the 60's. Very interesting and arresting book!! Connie, They have the old fashioned songs we used to sing in class in grade school!!! I LOVE it! Thanks KJD for the tip on the Readers Digest book!

Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2005 :  11:32:03 AM  Show Profile
I ordered this book used from Amazon.com yesterday. Can't wait to get it!

I'm still hot...it just comes in flashes.
Go to Top of Page

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2005 :  3:39:01 PM  Show Profile

Hey Farm Girls!!!

Meadowlark I am going to order this book via worldcat like Clare suggested. Girl, you hit the jackpot when you were shopping.

I was just thinking of some of our grade school songs. Since I lived in a tiny town in Northern Illinois, our music class consisted of listening to a wonderful music program from an educational station in Wisconsin. Our teacher was Mr. Farraday. I thought that he was ancient, but he was probably 40!!

Some songs that come to mind::

Waltzing Matilda
Streets of Laredo
Oh Canada

I must get that book.

Connie

cozycottage
Go to Top of Page

KJD
True Blue Farmgirl

402 Posts

402 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2005 :  5:42:38 PM  Show Profile
In the RD Country Ways book, the chapter Country Songbook begins with a remembrance by Burl Ives. Then, songs include Amazing Grace, Down in the Valley, Wabash Cannonball, You are my Sunshine, Wildwood Flower, Can the Circle be Unbroken, Shenandoah, The Old Rugged Cross, Rock of Ages, Tennessee Waltz, Your Cheatin' Heart, She'll be Comin' Round the Mountain, Swing Low, Sweet Chariot, Green Green Grass of Home, and others.
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2005 :  5:49:15 PM  Show Profile
Connie, I remember singing Waltzing Matilda in first grade...

Waltzing Matilda, Waltzing Matilda...
You'll come a waltzing Matilda with me...

KJD...Burl Ives is one of my favorites! The Green Green Grass of Home was my very favorite!

Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2005 :  6:58:15 PM  Show Profile
Oh man, Swing Low, Sweet Chariot was one of my Dad's fav songs.. and I loved it too just because he had so much fun singing it. Also the Battle Hymn of the Republic.

Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2005 :  7:23:27 PM  Show Profile
Oh yeah Clare...KUKABURAH...the aussie song about the bird....

Kukaburah sits in the old gum tree...
Merry, merry king of the bush is he....
laugh, Kukaburah, laugh, Kukaburah...
gay your life must be!

Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2005 :  7:52:21 PM  Show Profile
Curiosity got me, so I did a search at Ebay... they have it!
http://books.search.ebay.com/country-ways-a-celebration-of-rural-life_Books_W0QQfkrZ1QQfromZR8QQsacatZ267QQsatitleZcountryQ20waysQ2dQ20aQ20celebrationQ20ofQ20ruralQ20life

Go to Top of Page
  Reading Room: Previous Topic Wonderful Book! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page