Bridge
True Blue Farmgirl

814 Posts

Bridgette
Southern Indiana
USA
814 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2005 :  2:01:51 PM  Show Profile

This is something I struggle with back & forth!!
I have been working real hard to remove the chemicals from our household. I use only Natural cleaners for the most part.
But I just seem to have a liking for "Bleach". I feel like it kills the germs and makes things really clean.
Alot of the things I read state that you should not use bleach that it is too harsh.

So I just wanted to see what all my Farmgirl friends think??????
If you don't use bleach, Is there something that you use that you really like??

Help. I don't wanna use bleach if it is bad for us and the environment, but my mind needs some convincing!!

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2005 :  2:19:55 PM  Show Profile
I personally try not to use bleach because I have a septic system and that wrecks havoc on its performance.

That being said, on the few occasions when I've tried bleach, especially on whites, I find that they come out yellowish, which is terribly disappointing to me. Maybe I'm missing something... but.... just easier for me to be organic....

**** Love is the great work - though every heart is first an apprentice. - Hafiz
Set a high value on spontaneous kindness. - Samuel Johnson****
Go to Top of Page

KarenP
True Blue Farmgirl

666 Posts

Karen
Chippewa Falls Wisconsin
USA
666 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2005 :  3:29:28 PM  Show Profile
Bridgette,
I just read something about bleach and mold.
It was better to clean mold with vinegar, because bleach just kills the top layer of the mold and the mold actually comes back stronger. whereas the vinegar will kill the mold completely.
Can't remember where I read it...
here's one site about vinegar
http://www.care2.com/channels/solutions/home/164
KarenP

"Purest Spring Water in the World"
Go to Top of Page

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2005 :  3:36:59 PM  Show Profile

Hey Farm Girls!

I use vinegar to clean my entire house, but lately I have been feeling the urge for some reason to start using bleach. I think that it is because I was raised to think that the smell of chlorine meant that you had an immaculate home and were thus a wonderful person!!! If my house does not smell like chlorine, it must not be clean enough.
SILLY................

However, I know that I will not break down and buy any because I have read that vinegar kills more bacteria than bleach. I also read that article about bleach and mold---in fact, I think that it was in our chatroom that I read it.

In addition, I have a septic tank so it would not be good. I actually am also very careful about rinsing vinegar into my septic tank.

Connie

cozycottage
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2005 :  5:55:24 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Usually if whites come out yellowish when using bleach it is because you used too much.

That being said, I don't use bleach very often. I also prefer vinegar over bleach.

Good luck!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

thehouseminder
True Blue Farmgirl

361 Posts

USA
361 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2005 :  6:34:55 PM  Show Profile
I use a non-chlorine bleach. It is made from Hydrogen Peroxide so it breaks down and does not harm water.

Who loves a garden still his Eden keeps, Perennial pleasures plants, and wholesome harvest reaps. ---Bronson Alcott

Go to Top of Page

Bridge
True Blue Farmgirl

814 Posts

Bridgette
Southern Indiana
USA
814 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2005 :  6:56:07 PM  Show Profile
Thanks gals!! Connie I think you hit the nail on the head!! I think we are just programmed to the scent............ How silly!!

Thanks for the pep talk gals!! I needed it!!
I use mostly Vinegar and a few cleaners from "7th Generation"

Hugs to all,
Bridge
Go to Top of Page

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2005 :  07:18:28 AM  Show Profile
I cannot stand bleach in any scent or form. In fact I rarely get into our pool because I can't stand that chlorine smell. If it's for your counters and toilets and such, spray vinegar and then spray hydrogen peroxide. It kills more germs than bleach and much much safer. If it's for your laundry to whiten, I too find bleach yellows over time even if you use just a little--I use Mrs. Stewarts Blueing and it works great. I have to agree with the mold issue, vinegar will kill all the mold and if you add a little pure tea tree oil it will give an extra boost.

ETA: This all being said I have used one of those Clorox Bleach pens in the past for the kids clothes just to treat one little spot, but that's it.

Edited by - lonestargal on Aug 17 2005 07:19:51 AM
Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2005 :  07:37:38 AM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
Does adding lemon juice make the smell of vinegar a little more palatable? My husband absolutely hates the smell of vinegar so I haven't used it for cleaning much yet, but I really want to get away from all those commercial cleansers. We don't have many of those right now - I left ours behind when we moved so now all we have is window cleaner and barkeeper's friend. And bleach.
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2005 :  07:43:31 AM  Show Profile
I am not a big fan of any cleaner that has a strong chemical smell (chlorine, ammonia, etc). I have used bleach sparingly, over the last 10 years have maybe bought only 1-2 jugs. I am using an orange based cleaner that just seems to cut through everything. And since I have butcher block counters in the kitchen I do use the peroxide for sanitizing. Baking soda is still a good one too but does anyone have a good natural cleaner for mildew? Does the vinegar work for that? Due to the heat this year, we seem to have more than our share!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

Bridge
True Blue Farmgirl

814 Posts

Bridgette
Southern Indiana
USA
814 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2005 :  07:53:34 AM  Show Profile
Seems like I have read that the Vinegar-Tea Tree mixture is supposed to be really good for mildew.
I tried it on the outside of our trailor for the "green stuff" and it hasn't returned yet!! :)
So far so good!!
As for the scent of vinegar, I usually add some essential oil to my Vinegar water mixture in a spray bottle.
Lavendar is my favorite, but Lemon & Orange are nice also.
I use this mixture to clean most everything!! I use pure lemon oil for the wood stuff.
For really tough jobs I use strait vinegar.
Baking soda & Vinegar work great on the tub and bathroom items.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2005 :  11:39:06 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
The vinegar smell also disipates within an hour or so and leaves behind a fresh almost sweet scent.

Orange and Lemon oil is just oil that has had orange and lemon fragrance oil added to it. There is not anything really special about it other than the fragrance. I would suggest using beeswax based furniture rubs as this is much healthier for any wood furniture.

Ciao

Alee
Go to Top of Page

realme52
True Blue Farmgirl

106 Posts

Klara
Gatesville Texas
USA
106 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2005 :  06:47:02 AM  Show Profile
First, I wanted to thank everyone for the information contributed. I learned a lot and will try some of the hints myself. I must admit that I have used bleach in a lot of applications re. laundry and disinfection.
Second, I wanted to mildly and politely disagree with >"Orange and Lemon oil is just oil that has had orange and lemon fragrance oil added to it."
It really depends on what one means when saying "oil". If one is talking about scented oil, this is true. However, if you have essential oil you have a substance that is extracted manually or physically from the respective part of the plant and represents the properties of the plant/part. (If it is 100% essential oil you have nothing but that extract.)The contents of this oil can be determined/proven with scientific reliability through gas chromatography. So, for example, if you take some substance, let's say vinegar, and put an amount of, let's say essential lemon oil into it, you will have the properties of vinegar and the properites of lemon oil. Lemon essential oil, for example has disinfecting properties (to surfaces, air, etc.)
This is also very important, I think, when you are using "scented" candles, for example. (Specifically for people with allergies!) When the list of ingredients states "scented with...", it is most likely some sythetic sustance made to smell like ...oil. Only if it says "contains 100%essential....oil" can you be sure that you get the real thing (and the related properties, if applicable.)
But I am getting carried away, if I don't stop myself now.

From this hour on I ordain myself loss'd of limits and immaginary lines. Walt Whitman
Go to Top of Page

Anne
Farmgirl at Heart

9 Posts

9 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2005 :  8:55:16 PM  Show Profile
As a farmgirl with a bit of a microbiology background, I can safely say that vinegar will not kill most microorganisms. Bleach is a very simple and ancient cleaning agent. It cleans and whitens by adding oxygen to the molecules it contacts, just the same as the hydrogen peroxide cleanser someone else mentioned. Besides oxygen, there's nothing else in bleach that isn't in table salt. I think that if you like it, you should use it and not worry. And if you don't like it, don't use it.

Go to Top of Page

realme52
True Blue Farmgirl

106 Posts

Klara
Gatesville Texas
USA
106 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2005 :  05:22:32 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, Anne, for that solid contribution and for taking a lot of worries of my mind!

From this hour on I ordain myself loss'd of limits and immaginary lines. Walt Whitman
Go to Top of Page

Susie Q
True Blue Farmgirl

122 Posts

Susan
So. California
USA
122 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2005 :  2:12:38 PM  Show Profile
I grew up in a family that swore by bleach. I think if you use it properly there should be no problem.
Go to Top of Page

LJRphoto
True Blue Farmgirl

760 Posts

Laura
Hickory Corners MI
USA
760 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2005 :  9:09:46 PM  Show Profile
Anne, what about with a septic system?

Also, my understanding of the problem with bleach is that we dump it into the environment via water treatment facilities faster than it can break down. I agree, it is great for sanitizing, I scrubbed the snot out of my tub with it when we moved into our new house, but I don't think that there is anything wrong with a little restraint.

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect." -Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

Anne
Farmgirl at Heart

9 Posts

9 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2005 :  09:44:41 AM  Show Profile
I agree, restraint with cleaners is always best. I always try to use the least amount necessary. But we used it with our septic system growing up and never ran into a problem. I suppose each septic system is unique, however, and what works for some may not work for others.
Go to Top of Page

cecelia
True Blue Farmgirl

497 Posts

cecelia
new york
USA
497 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2005 :  5:35:50 PM  Show Profile
I use bleach sparingly; chlorine or an oxygen bleach. Anything you use for cleaning, etc. must be used with caution: read the label, know what you are using. Bleach (i.e. chlorine), is a "natural" product, that is naturally found chemicals. If you think of it, even "natural" or organic products are mixtures/chemicals, etc. made of molecules of something! You need to know what result you want; vinegar is an acid, I believe non-toxic as you certainly use it on salads, but you wouldn't want to drink it full strength unless you don't value your teeth or stomach!
I don't think it kills bacteria - my chemistry is a bit rusty - but bleach certainly does.

Cecelia

ce's farm

"Curiosity is one of the forms of feminine bravery" Victor Hugo
Go to Top of Page

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2005 :  5:36:47 PM  Show Profile

Hey Farm Girls!!!

I am back to using bleach after reading what our farm girl with the microbiology background wrote about it. Used it last weekend, and I have to admit that everything in the house, especially the floors seemed a lot cleaner.

Connie

cozycottage
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2005 :  7:40:36 PM  Show Profile
Anne -- thanks so much for the information. I have been using vinegar to clean too but just don't feel it kills the germs like bleach. I love the smell of bleach -- I think it smells clean! Think I'll go clean my bathroom!

"If you are lucky enough to have a garden, you are lucky enough!"
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2005 :  7:41:59 PM  Show Profile
Whites will come out yellow when using bleach because of synthetic fibers in the fabric.

"If you are lucky enough to have a garden, you are lucky enough!"
Go to Top of Page

LJRphoto
True Blue Farmgirl

760 Posts

Laura
Hickory Corners MI
USA
760 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2005 :  06:53:30 AM  Show Profile
Does anyone know anything about dioxins and the use of household bleach? I can't find any reliable information on it. Everything is either overly technical or has an agenda.

Does anyone but me wonder how really clean our homes need to be? It seems to me that we have become overly obsessed with making our homes germ free which is really not possible and some studies suggest that overly sanitary conditions can be harmful.

I did come across the information that very few things will kill viruses. Bleach will kill viruses but I read that it has to be left on the surface for 30 minutes to be effective.

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect." -Mark Twain

http://ljrenterprises.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2005 :  07:14:40 AM  Show Profile
I've heard that before too. I personally cannot stand the smell of bleach or very many other cleaning products for that matter and I would not be willing to leave bleach anywhere for 30 minutes so I figure why use it. I don't mind the smell of vinegar so I've been using that and peroxide for a while. My husband would differ about the smells so I generally just clean when he's at work.
Go to Top of Page

LJRphoto
True Blue Farmgirl

760 Posts

Laura
Hickory Corners MI
USA
760 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2005 :  07:24:23 AM  Show Profile
I must add that if I am exposed to any chlorine product for very long my thyroid throbs. Therefore, I too have learned to hate the smell of it because it's associated with pain. Anyway, I should go clean my house instead of just chatting about it online!

http://ljrenterprises.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2005 :  08:28:14 AM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
My throat and eventually lungs hurt if I am exposed to bleach for very long. Weak lungs run in the family anyway, and I have exposed mine to eveything from chemical combinations (oops) to asbestos, to drywall dust, black mold (was sick for three days) and oil-base paint fumes and more, many times.

Laura - I think we are overly neurotic about house cleanliness. I know I am - to me everything should be spotless all the time! I'm trying - for my own sanity in a house with 2 good size dogs and a husband who leaves a trail behind him - to get to a certain level of cleanliness. Such as - just sweeping twice a day and mopping maybe every two days instead of every day. Or scrubbing the kitchen sink once a day instead of twice (see? I'm neurotic, and I know it).

I don't know how I got this bad - I can't stand clutter, no surface of my house should have more than three items on it, no dust and be polished to a high shine. Dog hair when the girls are shedding their winter/summer coats drives me absolutely nuts - I've been known to sweep/vaccuum during those times up to 5 times a day, because I can't stand the sight of it on my floor! I have this ideal in my mind that my house should be company-ready, and photo-ready all the time.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Do you use Bleach? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page