Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Cleaning Up
 Feather Pillows and King Size Feather Bed
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Feather Pillows and King Size Feather Bed Next Topic  

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2006 :  7:11:36 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Okay ladies-

My dog who is coming up to 4 years old has an incontince issue. The vet has put her on estrogen. They think it is related to how young she was spayed (before 8 weeks). This was not my decision- she was a pound puppy.

Anyway she has has "leakage" accidents on our bed with our king size feather bed under the sheets!! It costs over $100 to get it professionally laundered and I don't want them to ruin the feathers.

So far I have used vinegar to clean the feather bed and tossed the pillows in the wash.

Anyone have any farmgirl tips on how to clean my feather bed without breaking the budget?

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2006 :  7:19:51 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
May sound mean but keep the dog off the bed or out of the bed room is the easiest solution. I love dogs and have had many But 100.00 for every accident yikes. I had a wool rug in front of my down stairs bathroom and my littlest daughter when potty training didn't make it to the batheroom and had her accident in the hall on my loved rug. Daughter wasn't in trouble because she couldn't help it ( sort of like your dog) What we did was get the rug cleaned ( about 200.00 sp two doggy accidents and said enough was enough for a while) the rug moved to our bedroom so that won't happen again when we are sure we are apst accidents it will go back. Since dogs live so long that doesn't seem like agood solution for your problem just removing the type of bedding that is expensive to clean. But maybe it is and put a cover over the bed to protect the mattress too. Other solution put child gates at the doors that lead into the bedroom to keep the doggy out.

I know you wanted cleaning tips and I didn't give any of those but it seams easier to stop the problem then treat the symptom.

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe
my web store www.sunshines.etsy.com my other web store http://vintagethreads.etsy.com/
my blog http://sunshinescreations.blogspot.com/ my google page http://sunshine.harbaugh.googlepages.com/home
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2006 :  9:54:25 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Thanks for the well meaning advice, but the dog has been sleeping on the bed for almost four years. She abnomally bonded to me (she doesn't eat if I am not around) and the only way to get her to stay off the bed would be to lock her out of the room. As much as I would be willing to do that, she would never let me and my boyfriend sleep! *grins* she howls and whines at the door.

I have done dog training for over 10 years so I have tried all behavioral methods- hence the asking for cleaning tips :)
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2006 :  10:08:54 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
I wish you lots of luck with this. I hope the medicine helps your dog that she and you will be more comfortable. Is there some sort of covering you can put over the feather bed. I know when my kids where little funny the youngest is about the age of your dog and she still has problem every now and again if she gets scared from a night mare. ANy way I have coverings over their mattresses to stop leaks and stains so it desent mess up the mattress maybe there is something simmilar for feather beds. That way you wouldn't have to launder the feather bed just the covering and you could do that in your own washer. You might look at a medical supply store they might have stuff like that I know relatives who have covering on large beds due to incontance from age. Just a thought might be cheeper in the long run and may be easier than always having to clean bedding. Some covers I have seen are plastic nasty things don't recommend that at all. But I have seen some that are a sort of fabric with a rubber like coatting on the back that might work. Even just a crib pad where she sleeps ( as dog normally sleep in the same spot) might work under the sheets.

Sorry if the previous post sounded bad it wasn't ment to when I was a teen ager I had a doxin/keshoundn ( sp) mix that slept on the end of my bed to so I do understand. I did not know she slept there every night I thought maybe if was an afternoon nap type thing.

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe
my web store www.sunshines.etsy.com my other web store http://vintagethreads.etsy.com/
my blog http://sunshinescreations.blogspot.com/ my google page http://sunshine.harbaugh.googlepages.com/home
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2006 :  10:40:38 PM  Show Profile
Alee- I have never had a problem actually washing my feather tick and it is about 10 years old now. Just put it on the delicate cycle use woolite or something like Dreft(baby detergent) and wash on the shortest cycle. Place an extra spin cycle at the end and dry on low heat with a tennis shoe and VOILA! good as new (almost!) Sometimes I have lost a few feathers but nothing major. That's the same for down jackets and vests too. If you can't do that what about a cover for the featherbed that might be more protective?

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2006 :  11:58:36 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Thanks Bramble for the suggestion- unfortunatly this one is so big that it literally could not be shoved into my washer! My parents bought this one for me. It has a 6 inch rise and is king size. It probably weighs about 15-20 pounds (I think about 30 but BF says the previous). In the summer it is really easy to take out and spray down with a hose if need be.

It looks like if she should have another accident I will just continue to treat it with vinegar. This destroys the urine and take out the scent without harming the feathers. I just was wondering if any more experienced farmgirls had any other home remedies.

I appreciate all the help!
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2006 :  06:44:02 AM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
Alee,
I would try changing your dog over to a no yeast dog food. I have a dog with the same problem (spaying itself causes an aweful hormone imballance--I actualy regret having it done) and it was compounded by the fact that she was getting frequent UTIs. This spring I changed both our dogs over to a no yeast dog food (Nutro Ultra) and now she only leaks when she gets excited (usualy when disciplined). Also check out www.Nzymes.com for a great supliment to help in overall health.

Good luck, Trina

'
Be thou diligent to know the state of thy flocks, and look well to thy herds. Proverbs 27:23
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2006 :  07:01:08 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
BarefootGoatGirl- Oh please don't regret getting your dog spayed! I volunteer at the local shelter all the time and I see so many dogs and cats- even puppies and kittens come in! I heard a statistic on Animal planet that there are over 9 million unwanted pets around the country at any minute! I totally support spaying and neutering unless you have extremely high quality animals that you are trying to breed to better the breed.

My dog was spayed so young (around 6 weeks) because they were over burdened with dogs at the time and needed these puppies to get good homes as soon as possible. They only allow animals to be adopted here if they have already had the operation. Current research (which was not available at the time) now points to early spays as a potential cause of incontinece later. Hence the Estrogen. Now our local humane society does not spay so early and just keeps any puppies or kittens longer.

I have Sky on Dick Van Pattens Natural Balance. I believe it is no yeast. I will check out your suppliment and see if it would have any benefit for her. She is an overall healthy dog other than this little problem. You must have felt so bad for your dog when she was getting UTIs! Sky only had one as far as I know and that was when she was pretty young and on worse dog food :)

Thanks for the link to the suppliment. I am always trying to make sure Sky gets the best. She is an amazing dog and was a great comfort to me when I miscarried two times before. Not only that but she has protected me from wolves and is a great deterant to "scary people" when I have to walk at night. She even will come and get me if she smells something burning in the oven!
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2006 :  1:08:44 PM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
Alee,
I do regret getting her spayed, but I did not mean that I would have allowed her to have batch after batch of puppies. I could have been less lazy and kept her kenneled durring heat cycles and allowed her body to function in a normal way. The more I learn about natural medicine and the great and complicated way God intended for the bodies of His creation to function, the more I believe in very limited invasive action. Our girl now struggles with low energy levels, obesity (although her food is strictly rationed), leaking, and increased nervousness. The vet attributes it all to "that's normal once they've been spayed." I feel that I could have given her a better quality life had I known all this before the surgery.

Trina

'
Be thou diligent to know the state of thy flocks, and look well to thy herds. Proverbs 27:23
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9092 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9092 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2006 :  3:11:55 PM  Show Profile
Alee,
What I would do is put my feather bed cover away for now and get something real pretty that can be washed, love the dog, of course, love the feather bed cover, well alot but not as much as the dog.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9092 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9092 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2006 :  3:18:06 PM  Show Profile
OH I see this goes under the sheets, well a few years ago this idea was new and I wanted one, well no money, So I just put one of those puffy comforters there instead, worked pretty good and you can wash them. Also if puppy sleeps in about the same place at night, get one of those bed wetting pads that don't leak through.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

Luzy
True Blue Farmgirl

922 Posts

Luanne
Pueblo Colorado
USA
922 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2006 :  3:26:22 PM  Show Profile
I would try covering it with something washable. We have a king size feather comforter and that's what I do. Our Niki dog has a reflux problem sometimes in the middle of the night, and a cover has sure saved our bedding. Also, when it's time to wash it(the comforter) I take it to a laundramat and use one of those huge washers and bring it home to dry. Costs about 5 bucks.

--
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.
Go to Top of Page

verbina
True Blue Farmgirl

231 Posts

randi
n.j
USA
231 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2006 :  3:59:04 PM  Show Profile
hi all, since we are talking about doggy problems, i have two eng. bulls and one french anyway my less than one year old sofa smells VERY DOGGY makes me crazy. i give them baths every two or three weeks. the bed covers smell to.(but i wash them every week. what do you all think? i bought that Order One one stuff it helps a little. Please if anyone can throw some my advice my way. thanks randi
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2006 :  4:32:54 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I have some advice!

First thing I would do is get a cheap black light bulb from Walmart or wherever and use any lamp to look at your couches (turn off all lights) the black light will show you if you dog has been having "accidents" on the furniture. If that is the case then you can treat the area with straight white vinegar and it will destroy the urine and remove the odor.

I also recommend making a homemade febreeze- Get a spray bottle and put in a 1/3 white vinegar, 2/3 water and a few drops of your favortie Essential oil or Scent oil. Put in more scent the stronger you want it to be.

Vinegar as it dries will take the scents away with it and within a day or so the vinegar smell will be absolutly gone. During this time, having the essential oil or scented oil will make it smell nice and fresh.

Some breeds of dogs excrete more oil in their fur. This is often what carries the dog scent into the upholstry. You can also use a rug cleaner to clean your couches and such to get rid of the scent. If you do again I would suggest putting vinegar into the water.

Vinegar is so great at breaking down animal smells like urine and it breaks up the oil that smells so bad. You can even throw it in the washer when you wash the dog beds along with some borax and I bet you will notice they come out cleaner too!

Good luck with the doggy smell. I am pregnant right now so I had to do a "frontal assault" on my house because suddenly I could smell my dog who hardly leaves any scent behind!
Go to Top of Page

verbina
True Blue Farmgirl

231 Posts

randi
n.j
USA
231 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2006 :  06:37:32 AM  Show Profile
Hey iam at the end stage of where you are .the big M. and i too i can smell some smells sooooo much more than ever.hormones! yuk! dogs dont pee on couch just leave that dam doggy order. will try vinger. thanks randi
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Feather Pillows and King Size Feather Bed Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page