Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2005 :  6:51:18 PM  Show Profile
I will second(or third) the one about the cell phones. I hate that! People walking around in stores or on the street yacking on their cell phones like they're SO important.

People who take their kids Christmas shopping with them. The stores are crowded, the kids are tired, cranky and hungry................I just don't like it. I had 4 kids and I Christmas shopped without them.

Farmers who get paid lots of $$$ NOT to farm their ground. I live in a farming community and have for most of my life and as many times as people(usually my DH) have tried to explain this concept to me I still don't get it.

Marcia

"I suppose the pleasure of country life lies really in the eternally renewed evidence of the determination to live." Vita Sackville-West

Go to Top of Page

realme52
True Blue Farmgirl

106 Posts

Klara
Gatesville Texas
USA
106 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2005 :  05:52:42 AM  Show Profile
OK, I tried long and hard to resist the urge to vent, but today I give in! Here are my pet peeves (not in order of importance and by far not a complete list!):
*people on cell phones who endanger other's lives because they are more involved in their jacking than in their driving.
*people on cell phones who practically force you to listen to their intimate issues.
*people on cell phones.
*people who slaughter the precious English language in writing. There are enough youngsters who still have to learn a lot about their language and have so many difficulties with it that they needn't be confused by people using "tho" in place of "though", "lite" instead of "light", etc.
*people who are in such time constraints that they can't use proper words (for example say "my master" instead of "my master bedroom", as you can often hear on certain TV shows!) If they don't have time to speak, they should keep their mouth shut.

From this hour on I ordain myself loss'd of limits and immaginary lines. Walt Whitman

Edited by - realme52 on Aug 19 2005 05:53:59 AM
Go to Top of Page

realme52
True Blue Farmgirl

106 Posts

Klara
Gatesville Texas
USA
106 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2005 :  05:59:46 AM  Show Profile
And, oh yeah!, I wholeheartedly agree to:
*land developers (why are they called "developers"? They should be called "destructors"!)
*people who throw their trash out of car windows (when their car isn't in their own yard).
*complete strangers who assume the right to investigate your personal history by asking you where you are from.

From this hour on I ordain myself loss'd of limits and immaginary lines. Walt Whitman
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2005 :  06:13:01 AM  Show Profile
CityCat, Welcome! Yes, hay is an animal feed. It originates from alfafa or timothy and other grass blends that grow and are harvested, dried and baled in some form.

Straw is a by-product of wheat and oats and other grains. The seeds are harvested for food and the remaining stems are used in a multitude of ways. A couple ways are for animal bedding in barns and for mulching in the garden.

Glad you asked! The only dumb question is one not asked, and an incorrect assumption made instead!

**** Love is the great work - though every heart is first an apprentice. - Hafiz
Set a high value on spontaneous kindness. - Samuel Johnson****
Go to Top of Page

quiltedess
True Blue Farmgirl

296 Posts

Nancy
Priest River ID
USA
296 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2005 :  08:08:38 AM  Show Profile
I just have to say this:
My dear husband is a Land Developer!
[sigh]
Nancy
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2005 :  08:25:55 AM  Show Profile
And mine a builder, although most of their work is historical restoration and renovation but he used to do new home construction management and ...HATED IT! (Even though the company used to receive all kinds of accolades for their low impact integration and site preservation.)

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2005 :  08:37:05 AM  Show Profile
Oh and along those lines...people who buy lovely old , historical homes and turn them into modern monstrosities!

And...people who bathe in the most offensive cologne, perfume, etc and you can't escape them in church, store lines, wherever! And all around them people are dropping like flies from allergy/asthma and all the while they are flapping and wafting to beat the band!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2005 :  08:41:54 AM  Show Profile
I think I don't get irritated by stuff really easily but it always frosts me when people are insensitive with my kids. Since all the ones still at home are adopted and it is no secret..some unthinking people will ask (right in front of the child) "So, what is the deal with her REAL parents?" That just really gripes my cookies! For one thing, we are about as REAL as parents get...and the situations they came from are bad enough that I don't want it being spread around, and the kids don't want to talk about it. We have had perfect strangers say stuff like that..and even acquaintances that should know better. I wish those people would stop and think before they talk. It isn't nice when they ask me without the kids there either..it is nosey in my opinion, and they don't get an answer unless they are a very trusted friend, and sometimes not then...but in front of the kids...not cool!!!

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things
Go to Top of Page

lareyna
True Blue Farmgirl

242 Posts

Arlene
Valley Ford Ca
USA
242 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2005 :  08:44:29 AM  Show Profile
One of my pet peeves is watching a movie or TV show where they depict ALL people from the country as straw chewing, square dancing, floor stomping, plaid wearing, Beverly Hillbillies!!
Though there is absolutely nothing wrong with any of those things , they always come off as ignorant, crotch scratching idiots. I live in the country and I know how to read and like listening to Mozart, go figure
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2005 :  08:58:58 AM  Show Profile
Hmmm, well I come from good, true country stock and wearing plaid, chewing usually alfalfa, IS typical-- and I was a square dancer for many years.... that being said, NONE OF US ARE DUMB. We have plenty of country smarts, especially in practical matters that city folks make fools of themselves at. This is where they make their sterotypical errors in their depictions. Even someone who may seem a brick short of a full load to some, is most probably a true contemplater who only speaks his mind once he knows for sure what he wants to say. We don't waste words.

Also, I work for a construction company / developer... so I am balancing on the wire about my own personal convictions and my paycheck. Some days I'm more reconciled about it than others. Most development does not take place here locally, so that is a small comfort - and where it is happening the county governments have strict guidelines. (good for them!) The whole world is a dicotomy.

**** Love is the great work - though every heart is first an apprentice. - Hafiz
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2005 :  09:28:30 AM  Show Profile
I know that land will be developed and construction done -- it provides jobs for people. But at what point do we even slow down? How many retail stores do we need? How many restaurants do we need? How many big fancy houses do we need? At one point in time people were satisfied to a have home, raise their kids there, and live there until they were old. It just saddens me deeply to see precious open spaces being filled up so quickly. I know that in our area as soon as it is even hinted that the urban growth boundaries are going to expand, the real estate people are knocking on farmer's doors to make them an offer on their property.

"If you are lucky enough to have a garden, you are lucky enough!"
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2005 :  09:48:24 AM  Show Profile
I agree with what Clare said about country people. Nothing gets under my craw quicker than people from large urban centers thinking Kansans are clueless dimwits that are 20 years behind the rest of the country. One guy had the nerve to ask my husband when he was in NYC if Kansas still had a "problem" with Indians and if we had indoor plumbing!!! ARGGGGGHHHH!!! Ignorance comes in all kinds of packages. And even IF we used outhouses, which some folks still do... and they are used in state parks here, it does not mean we are uncivilized!!! My husbands family used them until the early 60's and they were a family of 10! He turned out alright!

Being is what it is. Jean Paul Sartre
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2005 :  10:36:35 AM  Show Profile
Ohhh, Clare, I used to Square Dance a lot when I was younger!

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2005 :  10:42:16 AM  Show Profile
I Square Danced, too!

"If you are lucky enough to have a garden, you are lucky enough!"
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2005 :  10:50:04 AM  Show Profile
Me too!!! My fav was the Virginia Reel! Doe see Doe!!!!

Being is what it is. Jean Paul Sartre
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2005 :  10:58:38 AM  Show Profile
Well girls, we are in really good company, aren't we? I didn't learn until I was about 21. Then I danced on and off for 25+ years. I haven't done it lately. Now days (and even when I learned) there are many levels of memorization required to learn all of the movements. Some people get it, and some don't. Those that do, in my opinion, are not anywhere near the "dumb" sterotype that the media presents. It takes alot of practice and instant recall! I'm done with the petticoats though... those are starting to phase out I think. They were a royal pain. I may do it again one day, for I've found even when I didn't dance for 5 years or so, my recall was still there. Just filed away and reaccessed when needed! Moving to the beat of the music, in sync with the call is quite a relaxing and fun thing. The partner thing is a pain though... some things just aren't worth it!

Edited by - Clare on Aug 19 2005 11:00:49 AM
Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2005 :  11:00:26 AM  Show Profile
My peeves:Drivers who don't use the pull-outs (especially RVs and hay trucks), and then speed up when the one passing area comes along! On the flip side of that coin, I also hate the drivers who pass on the double yellow line...usually at a blind curve.
As for developers...in my "perfect world" you wouldn't be able to build a new building (for stores/strip malls) if there were any in a 10 mile radius that were vacant. I hate seeing all these new places being built when two or three empty places are so close by. Whatare they thinking?!?!?

PS Aunt Jenny, I've had people ask if my (adopted, Fillipino) daughter is may grandaughter ! grrr...and look at her and me (we share similar features),and then at my husband and then ask who did I sleep with!!! Some people's ability to be rude can be astounding! I agree with you and don't tell her "story" to just anybody and NEVER in front of her.

Edited by - sleepless reader on Aug 19 2005 11:09:36 AM
Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2005 :  11:10:52 AM  Show Profile
This is great, ya know it really gets ya laughting reading these rants. I agree with almost everything here. I have many peeves so won't list them all, here are a few. I hate when people won't use their turn signals, it absolutely drives me crazy, come on it's really not that hard to do! Developers of all kinds, I live in Redwood counrty and many of the forests around here are farmed, some the "right way" and some not. It just sucks to look up over the hills one day and theres this big brown square cut out of all the green trees that wasn't there yesterday, it hurts my heart. These trees have a presence unlike any tree I've met so far even the young ones, it makes me sad to see them go. This next one can be a touchy subject but since I study nutrition many people mostly family ask about losing wieght or I should say complain about losing wieght. Well I talk to them what they should do - exercise, quiit eating so much of this and that. But they just don't want to do it, they don't want to do the work. They want a magic pill - another peeve, a pill for this and pill for that. Well I say quit complaining then if your not going to do anything about it. And that goes for life in general quit complaining if ya ain't gonna do anything about it, I don't like laziness. There is a story that Maya Angilou told, I wish I come remember it. Her grandmom told her this piece of advise about not complaining. I'll never be able to tell it right, I'll hae to try to find it and post it, because I really spoke to me. Well I'll stop here.

Blessed Be
www.sqrlbee.com/artisan

Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2005 :  11:15:30 AM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
Okay, I have another gripe. It resurfaced because a realtor sent me an ad to build. One of those scare-tactic "you can't sell your home yourself" ads. Which could be source for another rant on another day.

But that isn't my gripe. Here's my gripe: there is a glaring grammatical error in the ad. It reads "Less Buyers At The Table." Excuse me, it should be "Fewer," just like Wal-Mart, Target, your local grocery store all say "10 items or Less" in their quick check-out lanes when it should properly read "10 Items or Fewer."

Sadly, the salesman who handed me the ad to design is predictably more concerned with making sure the client stays happy than quietly fixing her grammatical errors so she doesn't look the fool in print.

Then again, if she really cared how she looked in print, she wouldn't be using scare tactics.
Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2005 :  11:16:39 AM  Show Profile
I have to say about the straw hay thing I totally get it but when you come from the city you just don't know these things. I have to tell you the truth I didn't know until I read your post. I'm a city girl learning the ways of the courty.

Blessed Be
www.sqrlbee.com/artisan

Go to Top of Page

CelticCoyote
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

Heather
Illinois
USA
111 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2005 :  12:42:59 PM  Show Profile
Oooooh, I just got home from getting groceries, and I've got a fresh rant. People who can't freakin be bothered to say excuse me!!! I mean, GEEZ, folks, whatever happened to a little common courtesy?! Yesterday, our town's population grew by 5000 people. (Move-in day at the university.) Of course, everybody & their brother went to get groceries today, I don't know where my head was at when I decided to go too. Ironically, though, the most polite group of people were the young guys! Go figure! I don't know if it's simply because I'm a girl, and I look pretty young, so guys just figure it's in their best interest to be polite to me (keeps their dating prospects open, I guess), but it was surprising anyway. I'd actually look people straight in the eye, and clearly say "excuse me", and they'd completely ignore me! Geez! Adults, men & women who should know better! Grrrr... Not to mention the types that'll just run you flat with their carts. Oy.

Okay, I'm done now.

Go to Top of Page

bubblesnz
True Blue Farmgirl

291 Posts

helen

New Zealand
291 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2005 :  1:47:17 PM  Show Profile
My gripe is, why is it also me who as to change the toilet roll!! That really gets me.
Now one girlfriend and I have a thing about which way the toilet paper hangs. I like it to come from over the top of the roll, cause then you see the pretty print or picture and she likes hers from under the roll.
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2005 :  2:03:37 PM  Show Profile
We had this discussion at work recently, Helen, and "we" prefer over the top too because it rips off so much easier.

Go to Top of Page

mollymae
True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Molly
Visalia California
USA
694 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2005 :  3:11:58 PM  Show Profile
My rant is strangers who can't keep their mouths shut. I remember a time when one of my sons was just an infant, at the time my mom and I were in Walmart and I had put some formula in the cart (I breastfed him for 5 weeks and had a physical problem doing so). A "well-meaning" (yeah right) woman came up and said "Oh formula is POISON! You should be breastfeeding him!!!!" Ooh I felt the rage well up in me, but kept my calm and said "thank you kindly for your concern, but I'm doing what I need to for him". ERGG!!!

Cead Mile Failte,
Molly

"This is love: to fly toward a secret sky, to cause a hundred veils to fall each moment. First to let go of life. Finally, to take a step without feet."~Rumi

Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2005 :  3:24:35 PM  Show Profile
I agree toilet paper should come from the top, it's easier to rip.

Blessed Be
www.sqrlbee.com/artisan

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Across the Fence: Previous Topic A Place for Venting.... Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page