Page: of 9

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2005 :  09:23:50 AM  Show Profile
In creating this topic, my intention is to keep this fairly light and nothing very small, petty or angry. Just a place where we can mention things that really tweak us on occasion!

My first contribution is this:

Having grown up on a farm this just "gets" to me!--- when gardening shows mention using mulching ground cover as being "HAY", and it is clearly yellow and dry as all get out. It is not hay, but "STRAW". Two totally different farm products!!! For goodness sakes, they need to get their terms correct... especially when producing a tv show that goes out to millions!

End of rant!!

**** Love is the great work - though every heart is first an apprentice. - Hafiz
Set a high value on spontaneous kindness. - Samuel Johnson****

Edited by - Clare on Aug 16 2005 09:24:46 AM

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2005 :  09:40:18 AM  Show Profile
People that tailgate! Arrrrggggghhhhh!

Being is what it is. Jean Paul Sartre
Go to Top of Page

CelticCoyote
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

Heather
Illinois
USA
111 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2005 :  10:24:47 AM  Show Profile
Yeah, and the folks that think you feed straw to horses! Oy!

Other things that annoy me...goons with P.O.S. cars that have the huge sound systems so that the trunk vibrates. What the heck is the appeal of a vibrating trunk?!
Go to Top of Page

theherblady
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Jan
Glasford Illinois
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2005 :  10:37:29 AM  Show Profile
People who say" What do you need that big farm house for?" "What do you want goats for?" "What are you going to do with chickens?" etc...........
They just dont 'get it'.........~~
Go to Top of Page

TheSoapMaven
True Blue Farmgirl

691 Posts

Susan
LA
USA
691 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2005 :  10:54:37 AM  Show Profile  Send TheSoapMaven a Yahoo! Message
I just thought I'd mention that we call "hay" hay and yellow dry mulching stuff "wheat straw" way down here in Dixie!

Things that urk me...mmmm...lots of stuff...what is safe to mention??? AHHHH people without children presenting themselves as experts on children. That gets me big time. OHHH and people who belittle/sceam at/slap at their child/ren in public places. I mean if they treat them that way in public what kinda life does the poor little thing really have?????

Susan
Proprietress of Dahlem's Soapworks http://www.thesoapmaven.com

Go to Top of Page

LifeSmiles
Farmgirl in Training

37 Posts

Kathy
DeKalb IL
USA
37 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2005 :  10:55:17 AM  Show Profile
People who think I'm 70 years old when I tell them I crochet (I'm 25 and have been crocheting for 2 years). Quit thinking in stereotypes!

---end of rant---

http://getyourhookon.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2005 :  11:07:44 AM  Show Profile
People who don't use signal lights when turning or changing lanes!
Or make left hand turns from the right lane! Argggghhhh!!!!

And like Susan I am particularly disturbed by people who are harsh, brusque, loud and unkind to their children. Who do they think they will become with examples like that?

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2005 :  2:06:35 PM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
oh boy where to start?

Clients who think they know more about graphic design and marketing than I do. Those same folks will insist I must be wrong when I say the ad won't do much, then are unhappy with the ads' performance (just as I told them it would do poorly) and blame the publication. Some even have the audacity to blame me. Hey, I told you nobody would read all that text.

People who tell me raw feeding will kill my dogs. Or that the bones will kill my dogs (cooked, yes, raw, no). Then there are people at the other end of the spectrum who say raw feeding prevents fleas. Fleas eat dogs, okay?

Unruly, noisy, rude, destructive children. No I don't have any. But I still expect them to behave in public.
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2005 :  2:21:21 PM  Show Profile
I guess the one thing that bothers me the most is when people forget that farmland is what got our country to where it is now. If it were not for our rural past, we would not have the lifestyle we live.

How many people who shop at grocery stores could begin to sustain themselves?

jpbluesky
Go to Top of Page

CelticCoyote
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

Heather
Illinois
USA
111 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2005 :  5:02:08 PM  Show Profile
Two year olds hammering back a large bottle of Diet Coke in public. Not like being in public really has anything to do with it, but it bugs me just the same. Sheesh.

And yeah, JP, the urban sprawl thing really gets me too. I live in some of the most fertile, productive land in the world, and it's being consumed by sprawl almost daily. HOW, in this day & age when we still have starving people in this world, can people possibly think this is a good idea?!?
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2005 :  5:13:12 PM  Show Profile
I agree JP and Heather, everytime I hear or see more precious farmground being turned over to developers for cookie cutter Mc Mansions it makes my heart hurt. When I see the ancient hedge rows torn up and destroyed and huge tubes laid out for sewage I want to scream!

Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2005 :  5:33:50 PM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
Heather, my family roots are in Southern Illinois. When my Grandma's cousin died recently he left his 200 acres to his lawyer. We felt terrible (WHAT was he thinking???), until we realized Clarence's sense of humor. He portioned out another tract of his land to the folks who had been renting it for the last 10 years - effectively land-locking the property. He knew that lawyer would want to sell it to a developer... but now he can't! So there's 200 acres in Millstadt nice and safe, at least for now.

Clarence thought of many things in his estate planning. I know he put an incredible amount of thought into who got what, and made the best decisions imaginable. And some, with his twisted sense of humor.
Go to Top of Page

little feather
True Blue Farmgirl

83 Posts

Tawnya
Walnut Creek California
USA
83 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2005 :  12:33:45 PM  Show Profile  Send little feather a Yahoo! Message
I agree with everything that's been mentioned to far!
I'd like to add the controversy over the pledge of allegiance. I'm sorry, but this country was founded by those searching to worship God in their own way! I have no problems with other religions, that's not what it's about. It's about our beautiful Country, it's about God, it's about justice and liberty!

Where ever you go, go with all your heart!
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2005 :  5:29:34 PM  Show Profile
I think I am most appalled by what some people feed their children. My daughter & I were in the grocery store recently and saw what broke my heart and made me REALLY angry at the same time...a dear young girl about 7 who was as round as she was tall. And what was Mom buying?? A frozen pizza, a gallon jug of chocolate milk and a box of donuts. Honest!
Am I wrong in thinking that this borders on child abuse???

Diane

Live a good and honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll be able to enjoy it a second time.
Go to Top of Page

ladybugsmom6
True Blue Farmgirl

128 Posts

Tami
Horicon WI
USA
128 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2005 :  8:05:08 PM  Show Profile  Click to see ladybugsmom6's MSN Messenger address
Parents who don't love their kids to discipline them!

And kids who dont FLUSH. Ok, I will let that one go they are conserving water!

-Tami
livin' right and loven' life!
Go to Top of Page

Gypsy Heart
Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

Karen
North San Juan CA
USA
7 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2005 :  8:18:11 PM  Show Profile
Hello and thanks for the topic - and I can certainly identify with many of your posts. I guess my peeve-for-the-day is litter. I live on 160 acres in the lovely California gold country with a two mile dirt/rock access road through forest service land. The nearest fast food place is forty minutes away. But wouldn't cha know that twice a month or so, someone parks at the forest service gate and dumps their fast food trash. Oh, and an ashtray full of cigarette butts to boot. Oh well....We clean it up anyway and even put the butts in the compost! I think I'll put a trash can out there with a friendly sign and see what happens.

Smiles, Karen

ps: I loved hearing about greyghost's clever clarence...

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is most important is invisible to the eye." - Exupery
Go to Top of Page

Erin Raincrow
True Blue Farmgirl

65 Posts

Julie Erin
New Mexico
65 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2005 :  9:34:29 PM  Show Profile
Businesses who spell their names with a K when it should be a C.
Examples: Kar Kare, Kountry Korral, Kake Korner, Klip and Klean
(and then they wonder why our children can't spell) Going along with this are other's who deliberatly misspell words thinking they're "cute" in their signs and marquees. UGH!!!!

I always want to get their address and send them a dictionary with the appropriate words highlighted but DH won't let me.

Gotta agree with the one about people who have no children but are experts and have no qualms sharing allllll their childrearing advice with you.

Nosy people who are constantly trying to see over your shoulder or are saying "what? what?", especially when they're complete strangers.

Store clerks that are clueless

But once in while the odd thing happens,
Once in a while the dream comes true,
And the whole pattern of life is altered,
Once in a while the moon turns blue.
Auden
Go to Top of Page

owwlady
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Jan
Tomahawk WI
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2005 :  10:21:57 AM  Show Profile
What about "He (or she) looks like a farmer"? What does that mean?? My mother told me the man I'm dating looks like a farmer. Well he is one but I still don't know what that means. I guess I'll take it as a compliment. I hope I look like a farmer!
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2005 :  12:08:08 PM  Show Profile
Farmland and developers, that's my big gripe. As someone said earlier, would these people even be able to be self sufficient if they had to????? Quit building houses, we have enough!!!!!

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2005 :  12:13:49 PM  Show Profile
People yaking on their cell phones while in the grocery store. Like you can't take the thing out of your ear long enough to buy groceries (or do antyhing else for that matter)?

And I totally agree about farmland and developers!! Got up this AM to find surveryors on our property. I called the landlord and all he would say is that they were surverying the land. Well DUH!! Bet you anything he's selling because we're on a corner of two main roads and it is a prime piece of land.

"If you are lucky enough to have a garden, you are lucky enough!"
Go to Top of Page

WisGal35
True Blue Farmgirl

99 Posts

Cathy
Kenosha County WI
USA
99 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2005 :  2:02:51 PM  Show Profile
Count me in on developers and cell phones.

And I'll add: Total strangers who think it's perfectly fine to stop by my farm to pet my animals (and don't even knock at the door first)!

Only marginally less annoying are friends & family who invite themselves 'up to the farm' with little to no notice (because after all, we're just sitting around?). Then those same visitors want to know why we haven't done x, y or z yet.
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2005 :  2:08:23 PM  Show Profile
When I am grocery shopping and women who SHOUT at their little kids " Don't touch anything stupid" and then if the little one ( I am talking 2 or 3 years old) just brushes up against something the woman grabs the kid and SHOUTS in their face! I just want to throw a bag of pasta at those kind of women and say " Pick on someone your own size, stupid!!!!"

Go to Top of Page

ThymeForEweFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

705 Posts

Robin
An organic farm in the forest in Maine
USA
705 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2005 :  2:35:47 PM  Show Profile
Assumptions. Here are a few of my personal annoyances this week.

If you have a tattoo you must be a rough biker babe.
Ill? You brought it on yourself, forget about genetics.
Work at home? You are a lady of leisure.

Robin
www.thymeforewe.com
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2005 :  5:14:08 PM  Show Profile
Jenny -- what I love are those same women who are dragging their little kids around the store at 10:30 at night and then wonder why the kids are whining. The kids are dead tired then mom yells at them to stop whining and shutup.

"If you are lucky enough to have a garden, you are lucky enough!"
Go to Top of Page

CityCat
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Catherine
Toronto Ontario
Canada
198 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2005 :  6:22:22 PM  Show Profile
I hate it when people take a look at me and ASSUME that I speak no English. I'm a banana (yellow on the outside; white on the inside) and, surprise!, I speak fluent English being a third generation Canadian. Oh, and the question that really peeves me: "Where are you from?" To which I respond, "Toronto" and often they respond, "No, really, where are you from?" Ugh!

Whew. I needed to get that off my chest, thanks.

Cat

ps. I'm one of those people who don't know the difference between hay and straw. Although hay is what you feed to animals, and straw is what they bed down in, right?
Go to Top of Page

LJRphoto
True Blue Farmgirl

760 Posts

Laura
Hickory Corners MI
USA
760 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2005 :  6:43:33 PM  Show Profile
My gripe: when I do something knowing it will antagonize me and then feeling antagonized.

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect." -Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Across the Fence: Previous Topic A Place for Venting.... Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page