Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Knowing your passion... Next Topic  

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2007 :  12:44:31 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
I have a lot of time to think today. I have been very introspective over the last year or so. I am truly coming to understand who I am and what I want out of my life.

First, I have come back to my country roots. I somewhere along the way got off the path and took a MAJOR detour in life. I tried putting on the business suit (hate it), the military was good for me (money for school and I like the simplicity of it),tried going back to the business suit (still hate it) though I admire women who pave the way. I guess my idea of business or success have changed after I met a mom who sells goat cheese and vegetables/canned goods as a business. She wears cowgirls boots and jeans to her office. Having just finished up my first semester of my junior year in college, I realize I may not like what I am taking in school. But I will get to that in a moment. I don't fit in with the business crowd- I can never quite get the dirt out from under my nails and my hair is always a mess, my good clothes always end up mucky by the end of the day and I just don't feel comfortable. I think this goes a long way in knowing who I am.

I love the country life. I love farms, animals, plaids, gardens, making do, making something, making fun, boots, banadana and babies, homemade food- especially bread and pies and canned vegetables, sweet tea on the porch, rocking my son to sleep at night, land lots of land under starry skies above, quietness, hard work that yields nourishment or a pretty painted door, quilts, comfy beds, baseball caps and jeans/overalls, farmgirl ingenuity, the change of season and living by its rules,junking, painting, bartering, trading, farmer's markets, flowers, rain boots, buckets, so much, so much more I love about being a farmgirl but too numerous to list.
It is WHO I am and I will no longer deny it...I will live it!!!

School- I think my true calling is teaching. I know teachers don't make much and things are so different from when I went through school, but gosh, I sure can see myself in a small town, teaching, participating, enjoying my summers with my DS when he gets older, taking him camping. I am thinking of taking the leap and changing my major....Just need to ponder a few more days!!!!

Sorry, this is really just a rant put down in words. I am trying to figure things out and I need to see it on "paper" to get it. I just feel like I am finally getting "it", whatever it is.

Cheers,
Heather

La Patite Ferme
True Blue Farmgirl

623 Posts

Jenn
CA
USA
623 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2007 :  3:26:41 PM  Show Profile
Rant away gurl

I think having more farmgirl teachers is just what this country needs to stem the tide of shallow, stupid, lazy, over consuming brats - oops my rant.

Forget all the diversity training and teach them something useful like how to feed and care for themselves - with all the farmgirl/boy tasks that involves. Teach them to be thankful for the beautful world around them and not unhappy over the latest "techie" thing they don't have. Teach them the Joneses aren't worth keeping up with. And, no matter what you should follow the path that makes you most happy.

I think we are all on our way to "getting it" gurlfriend

Thanks for the nudge
Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
Smoky Mountains Tennessee
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2007 :  3:47:38 PM  Show Profile
I have found that the written word is the best way to set in motion what our hearts desire really is.

Glad to see another lady talking out loud. I do it all the time and can always work things out better that way. Have to read my words or hear myself saying the words before they are real.

The wonderful thing about this journey is that we have permission to change things midstride if need be. We just need to also remember that the "good opinions of others" can be a stumbling block at times. Follow YOUR heart and things will always be better! After all, You are the one walking your personal path.

Look forward to hearing what your new desires are.

Stephanie
Farmgirl Sister #22

"hold close your inner child and always listen to the gentle whispers" ~queenofdreamsz
Go to Top of Page

Firemama
True Blue Farmgirl

1731 Posts

Amanda
Medical Lake WA
USA
1731 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2007 :  4:15:25 PM  Show Profile  Send Firemama a Yahoo! Message
Heather it is nice to know, that I amnot the only one wodering.I hope you find your calling soon.

Mama to 2
Your FreckleFaced Farm Girl!!
FarmGirl# 20

http://myfarmdreams.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

bohemiangel
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Bridget
Ligonier pa
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2007 :  4:56:23 PM  Show Profile  Send bohemiangel an AOL message  Click to see bohemiangel's MSN Messenger address  Send bohemiangel a Yahoo! Message
That was nice to read, got me thinking too so thank you:) OMG la patite ferme you have it, we are one lazy @$$ nation! And I'm truly scared for the 7th grade that I have homeroom at school. I can't imagine them being responsible adults they do what they want and the principal lets them and they think the world owes them something and the back talking! I could smack the manure outta them. not really... Teaching is WONDERFUL, unfortunately you often don't have back up from the administration. GOOD LUCK in all that you do catscharm! May you touch the lives of others xoxox

**~~Farmgirl Sister #60~~**
"... to thine ownself be true."
http://liggygirl.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

CountryBorn
True Blue Farmgirl

1545 Posts

Mary Jane
New York
USA
1545 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2007 :  6:04:28 PM  Show Profile
I think following your heart and doing what you feel most comfortable at is the right thing for anyone to do. The fact that you are taking your time and really thinking all these things through shows how seriously you are taking your quest to find your authentic self. Whether it is teaching or whatever you decide on, I know it will be the right decision for you. How wonderful it would be if more women not only found what their heart and soul desires but really let themselves live it and enjoy it.

MJ

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do. Freya Stark
Go to Top of Page

CountryBorn
True Blue Farmgirl

1545 Posts

Mary Jane
New York
USA
1545 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2007 :  6:14:34 PM  Show Profile
Jennifer, isn't it a shame that the ones who should be teaching the children all these things you mentioned should be the parents and not just the teachers? Until these parents start taking their parenting job seriously, my heart goes out to the teachers, because I have actually heard people say it is the teachers job to teach these virtues,not the parents. Sure teachers can re-enforce these things, but, it should be the parents job to begin with. I guess that is my rant, there just seems to be so many parents today who just don't want to have to do the real work of parenting. That is one reason I love this site. All the Mom's and Grandma's take their jobs so serioulsy.
It is heartwarming to see this still exists!

MJ

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do. Freya Stark
Go to Top of Page

AFMom
True Blue Farmgirl

100 Posts

Erica
North Dakota
USA
100 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2007 :  6:55:50 PM  Show Profile
Hi Heather,

When I read your post, it felt like it was a reflection of me. It is wonderful to know that there are woman in the world who feel just like me. I too have been all over the world, done all kinds of things, lived a dozen different lives it seems and yet here I am. For the past 15 years I have been a military wife doing living the military lifestyle. Moving, socializing, volunteering, moving, moving and moving!!! In that time I have also homeschooled my children, gone to work at various times and gone back to school various times too...only to end up back at the same place I was...a SAHM with more to offer my own family then the rest of the world...and the way I look at is this...the one thing I can offer the world is my children and so I am going to do it right with them! I do acknowledge though, that my children are back in public school and doing really well. Katie just took her SAT's and got an 1850, but that is another story. I am extremely proud, but that will be another post:)

Your listing of all your favorite country things are exactly how I feel too. As a military wife you tend to get caught up in looking and behaving a certain way...living a life that is a model for others to follow I guess. But now I am back in my hometown for the year my husband is deployed and I am more comfortable with myself now than I have been these last 15 years. We live in the country, I wear jeans, work shoes or boots, we help on the farm, we now have a horse (different post), I still have my dog, and 4 beautiful cats who I just love to cuddle and watch play....I love the fresh air, the simplicity of life here...the mountains, seeing the corn planted from my kitchen window and watching it grow, watching it be harvested. I love to watch the way the sun changes its position in the sky according to the seasons....and so, now I am contemplating how I can break it to my husband that I cannot possibly leave here, unless we buy or build our own home instead of renting:) He is so eager to come home too and stay, but he has 4 more years before retirement....and I can't imagine going back to military housing, movers, spouses meetings...it just isn't me anymore. I want chickens, a garden not just for pumpkins, but vegetables for canning, raspberries, strawberries, clothes on the washline, and rocking on the porch in the summer evenings with my DH by my side! I see it so clearly, and I hope that one day my life will be like that. I feel like I am working towards it, but it is still out of reach...I feel more comfortable following my passion when I allow myself to be ME.

I also believe in helping your children discover their passion and helping them reach their potential with that passion. My daughter is intersted in Vet. Med or Equine studies and we have been paying for her to ride, compete and she did volunteer with a theraputic riding program to further her passion. Now we have a horse and he is a challenge, but it is her passion. My son is into cars, mechanics, diesel engines, and farming, and he was the main reason we came home this year. He was limited with what he could experience in the suburbs, but here he helps load pigs, feed pigs, moves pigs, drives tractors, works on tractors...he is always on the farm doing something...he is so content there. My 8 yr old is passionate about Littlest Pet Shop and Me....so I still have time with her and I like it that she adores me so much....I need all the love I can get lately with DH gone...so yes, I hear you and I feel like I know you too. Go for your passion, seek it out and get it! You are on the right track.

Hugs, Erica
Go to Top of Page

bohemiangel
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Bridget
Ligonier pa
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2007 :  05:52:31 AM  Show Profile  Send bohemiangel an AOL message  Click to see bohemiangel's MSN Messenger address  Send bohemiangel a Yahoo! Message
"...the ones who should be teaching the children all these things you mentioned should be the parents and not just the teachers? Until these parents start taking their parenting job seriously"

thank you countryborn! THAT IS IT!!!! Unfortunately parents aren't teaching kids life skills. SIMPLE stuff. They are super rude and well I could go on. One teacher does say I teach them life skills that the parents have omitted in their parenting. It's very very sad to see this. Breaks my heart. You can also see the kids reaching out in ways that if only they could find their voice and say I need help guidance love someone. This is a small town that this is happening in, imagine cities! I am on a bit of a soapbox right now, but here goes. I don't get why professional athletes make millions when a teacher salary barely cuts it in most places and the poop you put up with is amazing. I think we really need to evaluate where money is going.

DId you all hear that place in Kansas that as long as you attended the school from k-12 you get free college tuition and now pittsburgh is trying to implement this into their school system. THAT is more like it. In Kansas the enrollment was dwindling etc and they put that into effect and boom double enrollment, people moving in, property value up, etc It helped the economy. I don't really play video games but I have played simcity. You have to look at a town/city and think what will benefit this all around. Could we get a FG in office or some ol joe that knows how things work? Believe it or not my political affiliation is not what I'm sounding like..... :-p Ok I am done and thank you all for letting me get this off my chest WHEW

**~~Farmgirl Sister #60~~**
"... to thine ownself be true."
http://liggygirl.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

paradiseplantation
True Blue Farmgirl

1277 Posts

julie
social springs community Louisiana
USA
1277 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2007 :  07:25:13 AM  Show Profile
Heather - you're reading my mind and heart. I've often wondered if I could make a living off of doing the things I love. Now that we have our land, I'm thinking longer and harder, and doing a lot of research on how to make our farm pay for itself. We have a start with cattle, but I know there is SO much more that can be done. All I can say is don't let go of your dreams, and let your heart, rather than society guide you. My dad always told me, "If you can dream it, you can do it. You just have to be willing to do the work to accomplish it." He also said, "If it's worth doing, it's worth doing well." Those are my two mottos for bringing Paradise Plantation to life. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

from the hearts of paradise...
Go to Top of Page

pinkroses
True Blue Farmgirl

2350 Posts

Sheila
Virginia
USA
2350 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2007 :  4:39:11 PM  Show Profile
I suppose you could say my passions are my needlewords
I love to sew , quilt , crochet, knit , tatting with a shuttle,
hand embroidery, most all of the needleworks
Like to do counted cross stitch too
Another of my passions is writing
I write Christan pomes, devotionals and occasoinly a short story.
I like to play the piano too.
Although since we have the computer
I have a passion for fourms such as this.
At 52 almost 53, I figure that I had better know what my passions are;
Cause if I didn't and waited wondering I wouldn't have enough time to enjoy them,Ha.
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2007 :  7:43:17 PM  Show Profile
FOLLOW YOUR BLISS ... a quote from philosopher Joseph Campbell .. has always been my 'mantra' .. and it soooooo works! xo

True Friends * Frannie

HEAR MY STORIES
come, visit my:
"GATHERING ROOM" ..

http://freedomvalleyfarm.blogspot.com

adopt a 'rag-chile'
http://sistermercysfoundlinhome.blogspot.com

AFRICA .. through my eyes and heart
http://africathroughmyeyesandheart.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2007 :  9:00:29 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
OH!! I haven't checked this website for a day and oh my...the answers and support!!! (((HUGS)))

Here is the thing; (May get long winded, please grab coffee, tea, chocolate, cute cuddly animals, quilt, etc...)

I truly believe we carry our passions around inside of us our whole lives and somewhere along the way, we get wrapped up in this thing we call life. We set off with good intentions but somehow, especially me, I got sidetracked by what others expected of me instead of following my heart. I did start to follow my heart a few years ago and this lead me to meeting my husband, so that is one good thing, but somehow, I got lost again. Not that getting lost is a bad thing (reference taking long walks thread) because I have had one heck of a fun time getting to this point. But at 33, I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up (and if someone could please clarify when that exact date is, I sure would appreciate it...lol) and I have come to terms with the fact that I am alright with that. I know the things that move me, make me feel something, excite me, yet I had denied them for so long and NO LONGER WILL I DO THAT!!! Today was my last day of college for the semester and I declared it my day of freedom and change...

I am breaking down my life into what I need to get from point A to point B.
First, Need to get out of debt and start saving for a house. Means I need to get a job, no matter how frugal I am, we just ain't making it on DH's military salary. Ok- I am cool with this. I have been applying for jobs I would usually pass over because I don't think I am good enough, qualified, yadda, yadda, yadda, This also goes hand in hand with stepping out the box challenge I have put upon myself. Try something new, may lead to bigger brigther, unfound things.

So I have found several jobs in what I am taking in college right now. I have decided to take a semester off and see if this is really something I can do, like, in's and out, etc...Fall semester starts in late August, so really I have 8 months to really get to know me and what I like, or at least get a start on it. This gives us time to work down the debt and figure out our next plan of action.

Whenever I have started out on a journey like this before, I have the type of personality that it had to all or nothing. This time around, I am relaxed, literally taking it a day a time and as it comes. I am calm, not so much in a hurry. It is nice!!

I realize I just don't fit in with the suit crowd. I don't mind being in charge but the politics of being at the executive level are not for me. I am trying to find this balance still and hopefully I will. As AFMOM meantioned, I too don't fit in with the whole military wife thing. There is such pressure to conform and most of the other wives do one heck of a job of letting you know you don't fit it and I just cannot be around something like that. I don't mean to judge, but I refuse to compromise anymore. Having been both active duty and now spouse, I realize this is NOT the life for us, at all.

My dreams of having land/farm have been since I can remember. I don't really want to be a farmer per say, but just something I can grow my own vegetables, have a few dogs and cats, have little projects going and I also would like to have enough land to offer the other women who want just a small plot for growing things, or just to bring the kids to get away for the day. (MaryJane has been very influential in this part of things.) I believe in sharing your personal blessings with others, no matter what it is, small or big, crazy or nuts : ) I actually just want land and a house to tinker around on. I could spend all day just painting things and I would be blissful!!!!

Sorry, this is all over the place, but I am typing as it comes, so please stick with me....

I did want to become a teacher when I was growing up, I want to stay somewhere in the kindergarten to third grade level. It would allow me summer's off with my son and still make enough money to pay the bills, be creative, hopefully change someone's life or inspire and just have some good old fun. I swear I am a 10 year old trapped in this body... LOL

I want my son to grow up knowing life in the country, animals, growing and picking vegetables, learning about the outdoors/camping, hard work, fun times- all the values and more that I have in me. I cannot see us living in some little sub-division with no trees, land and everyone isolated with all of their stuff. Boy- do I miss the state fair!! I can't wait to take him to his first one!!

I've made peace with several areas of my life, most things I cannot change (Family, weight(still working this one), not being able to learn how to knit, etc...)I don't have to do it all or be it all, just what truly makes me (Not DH or DS) but ME HAPPY!!! Call it a meltdown, mid life, hormones, chocolate overload, whatever, but gosh!! It is almos so clear to me now and I am so unafraid that is really is very peaceful for me. Weird but true!! I wish to spread this feeling to all of you!!!

So, if any of that made some sense, God bless ya : )

If not, I do understand...still God bless ya : )

Just me ranting and my new word "perspectivising"

Cheers,
Heather

Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2007 :  11:23:05 PM  Show Profile
heather,
Y0u shared just fine darling, there are l0ts 0f seas0ns in 0ur lives where we need t0 be perseptive.
We as w0man are s0 very g00d at everyb0dy else that we have t0 learn ab0ut 0urself. What is g00d f0r us, what 0ur hearts desires and passi0ns are, and they d0 change as y0u get 0lder as well.
Yep, c0ntemplating a l0t here 0n this end. And that is excellent f0r me.
keep g0ing girl,
Car0l Sue

listening to the quiet moments
www.Quitemoments.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Farm Girl 2
True Blue Farmgirl

108 Posts

Becky
Willis VA
USA
108 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2007 :  03:13:01 AM  Show Profile
Erica,
I have never really thought of it quite like that but you are right, all we can really give this world are our children. I am very proud to say that I have given the world 2 wonderful ones, 2 beautiful young ladies now mothers of their own little contributions to the world. I have always felt that being a parent is the hardest thing that you will ever do in life. After they are grown, (If they turn out as good as mine, lol) you can set back and say "A job well done" and give yourself a pat on the back.

My children kinda raised theirselves because I was so young (age 14 and 19 when they were born) and I surely did NOT know what I was doing. I have to say I had lots of farmer and farmgirl help along the way. When you are living the farm/country life you are showing respect for the land, respect for your neighbors and animals, you appreciate what a days hard work is all about and those skills, experiences, morals,etc... stay with you, whether you stray or not for the rest of your life.

I was sitting at the kitchen table Saturday at our farmgirl chapter meeting (dd farmgirl 1 "s kitchen) and I got so caught up in what was going on not just from participation but kinda the fly on the wall looking down on the scene perspective. My daughters were both there among great longtime friends and new ones. It felt so good in my heart to see my girls showing projects and sharing farmgirl stories and the others just taking it all in!! I knew I had raised them right at that time!

I am not saying that every child needs to be a farmer but they can surely get some stick with them values from learning about it. If only more parents really cared, but I forgot they weren't raised right to begin with so they don't know how!!!

That's my 2 cents!
Have a great day everybody!
Becky

Loving Living Simply!
http://sunnymorningfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Knowing your passion... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page