Page: of 2

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2007 :  11:41:46 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
As I sit watching the days tick away until I find my little dream home in Texas, I started thinking about preparation. What would be on your farmgirl list of top essentials to get started with the basics such a gardening, homekeeping, animals, kids, etc??
Here is what I am working on:
1) Composting- figure I can move it with me when I go. Found a great turnable composter online.
2)Clothelines- Santa is bringing me one for Christmas.
3)Shovel, rake, hoe and hand spade/hoe, string, been collecting paint stick stirrers to use as markers in the garden. Some sort of wheelbarrow or something that rolls to tote things around. Seeds.
4) Mucking boots
5) Those pink John Deere gloves are coming from Santa too.
6) Chapstick and mascara- I gotta look cute. I would also add a nice head wrap or bandana- no bad hair days.
7) Canning set- so I can store up for winter.
8) One super duper Farmgirl apron.
Ideas!! What would be your essentials if you are/were just starting out..

Cheers,
Heather

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2007 :  11:46:39 AM  Show Profile
Let's see...I have all these things, so I guess I'm "started" but this is still what I'd do over again...

1. apron
2. dogs/cats for sure--maybe a dh for company
3. good shovels, hoes, and garden tools. A MUST
4. compost pile
5. porch swing for thinkin', planning and resting
6. clothesline, drying rack
7. Make friends with a meat farmer so I don't have to kill my pals and deal in trade.
8. weaving loom and spinning stuff.

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2007 :  12:06:21 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Forgot to add, now that I have been pondering... : )

9) Hammock with my favorite pillow and down blanket
10) Rocking chair- DS likes this more than me....
11)Forgot the dog...lol

Cheers,
Heather
Go to Top of Page

La Patite Ferme
True Blue Farmgirl

623 Posts

Jenn
CA
USA
623 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2007 :  3:13:32 PM  Show Profile
My farmgirl library is a must - gardening books, How To books for building barns, sheds and greenhouses. And of course, inspirational books written by people who have done it before me. Especially women farmers.

I always have a nice big pad of graph paper so when those ideas pop into my head I can sketch them. I laid out my entire mini farm the first winter at my new place. Then in the spring I could start working.

Have fun planning and dreaming.

Go to Top of Page

shawna
True Blue Farmgirl

241 Posts

missouri (north)
241 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2007 :  4:26:53 PM  Show Profile
this is great, did any one mention kids to fun naked in the yard? a must have for me! let me see you got the pink gloves, cat and dog, oh and husband! a horse for each one of us, that is what i would really say is a must!

xoxxo MERRY CHRISTMAS xoxxo
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2007 :  7:43:33 PM  Show Profile
These are wonderful! Can I add a bright red fingernail/toenail polish to the mix? It REALLY hides dirty fingernails well in the summer (hee hee!).

XOXO, Libbie

"Farmgirl Sister #10," and proud of it!!!
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2007 :  8:11:28 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Oh yes!!! I have always loved Revlons "Cherries in the Snow" for red nail polish...

Cheers,
Heather M. Morehouse
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2007 :  9:24:56 PM  Show Profile
Buckets...lots of buckets and baskets!! And bib overalls with embroidery, and cute earrings.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com

Edited by - Aunt Jenny on Dec 10 2007 9:25:39 PM
Go to Top of Page

Libbie

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2007 :  9:40:53 PM  Show Profile
I think I actually HAVE "Cherries in the Snow!" That is too funny!!! It MUST be a farmgirl thing!

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2007 :  9:49:23 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
The "Cherries in the Snow" is the only red I actually have liked...too funny!!!LOL

Cheers,
Heather
Go to Top of Page

shawna
True Blue Farmgirl

241 Posts

missouri (north)
241 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2007 :  9:13:30 PM  Show Profile
well we better go buy some extras, you know when its a fav, they always stop making it,

xoxxo MERRY CHRISTMAS xoxxo
Go to Top of Page

Libbie

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2007 :  09:27:52 AM  Show Profile
I'll be purchasing an extra bottle for "emergencies," myself!

Oh - and another addition to the "Farmgirl Essentials" list: A SENSE OF HUMOR!!!!!

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2007 :  4:07:56 PM  Show Profile
I found the most important item that has gotten me thru and is at the top of my list - are you sitting on the edge of your seat?

A sense of humor!!!!
I have had so many dumb things happen that if I could not find a way to giggle thru it I am sure I would have packed up and moved.
For the three ton of hay that fell on me because no where in the books do they say the right way to stack it, to the four broken toes at the emergency room as I am trying to explain to the ER doc that ewe's did it while escaping a badger and the list goes on. Some days we laugh to keep from crying and other days I realize there is a reason we are called "Larkspur Funny Farm".

No matter what you do in life or where you live remember a giggle costs nothing and it is everywhere you are. Good luck on your list. I would also throw in a great first aid kit.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/larkspurfunnyfarm
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2007 :  4:27:13 PM  Show Profile
I agree...that sense of humor did me well the time I had to explain the big bruise across the bridge of my nose from pulling livestock panels off the top of a truck rack right into my face. Or explaining to my doctor what a "fence bruise"is. (I always have several on my upper arms)

good to see you here Grace. I am wearing some socks right now that I knit from your lovely yarn!!!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

kitchensqueen
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

521 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2007 :  6:07:13 PM  Show Profile
This is my top-ten of starter items. Slowly and surely, I'm acquiring them all!

1.) Canning and drying equipment
2.) Gardening equipment including an Earthway seeder, high-wheel cultivator, irrigation tape and composter (and the garden to go with it!)
3.) A broad-brimmed hat, apron and sturdy shoes.
4.) Wood heat (woodstove or fireplace)
5.) Porch swing
6.) Crafting supplies (knitting, crocheting, sewing, candle-making, etc.)
7.) Chickens, goats and honeybees
8.) Library (homesteading, crafting, farming, etc. books)
9.) A restored Chevy pickup truck in fire-engine red with chrome
10.) Horses with a buggy, sled and farming implements.

http://apartmentfarm.wordpress.com

http://shadetreestudios.etsy.com

New Rt 66 blog: http://historyinthemaking.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

lmillward
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

Lorie
Riverton UT
USA
111 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2007 :  7:56:42 PM  Show Profile
I'm glad Amanda mentioned chickens! It is nearly impossible to work outside without a couple of gals strutting along side to take care of the bugs and make sure you get the dirt properly scratched!

Wonder, explore, learn, love... act!
Go to Top of Page

HFox
Farmgirl in Training

49 Posts

Laura
Parkesburg PA
USA
49 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2007 :  4:07:13 PM  Show Profile  Send HFox a Yahoo! Message
As a Suburban Farmgirl, I'm still gathering my essentials. But here's my top ten that I have so far:

1)Baby Sling. You can't live with out it with an infant.
2)Compostion Book and lots o' pencils. It's rough and tumble, so you don't have to worry about leaving it outside, on the kitchen counter, or dropping it in the tub when you're sketching or writing down musings, ideas, and useful things you want to remember.
3)A good organization system for seeds.. I seem to collect 'em. But such a problem.. who should worry?
4)An animal friend, at least one.. to talk to and relax with.
5)My Inspiration scrapbook. Picutes of the life and farm I'm working toward. All those magazine clippings go in here..
6)Lots of fabric. And my old Singer sewing machine. I can't sew properly with any other machine. Hopefully I can make this one live forever.
7)Lotion and a pumice stone.. I'm barefoot if it's above 40 degrees, unless I'm doing "hard labor". You can imagine what my feet look like.
8)Cute work gloves. Just because I work hard doesn't mean I'm not a girl!
9)Some type of headcovering, depending on the activity and weather. It might be a sunhat, a scarf, a bandana, a stocking cap, or a baseball cap.
10) Several pairs of worn jeans. So comfy they feel like an extension of you. And you can do almost anything in them.

Since I have time (kids are bathed and fed, homework is done)
here are a couple bonus items:
Lip Balm
Hair ties (I have long curly hair that gets everywhere!)
A computer with internet access, so I can "google" any question I have!
Canning equipment (I'm working on collecting this)
A good pocket knife! Very useful in so many situations...
Of course, several cute aprons.
Baking Soda
Vinegar
Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2007 :  10:51:49 PM  Show Profile
Might I dare add:
Burts Bees Lip Balm

The best ever!

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2007 :  05:06:26 AM  Show Profile
I was going to add buckets when I saw Jenny already did. It's kind of funny, there are like two sub lists running here, recognizable to those of us who actually live the life, albeit mine is 1/2 time right now. The practical versus the romantic I would call it! I did the same thing before we built the cabin. You'll be glad for the practical when you move in and get settled, but the romantic (fingernail polish of ANY color) will make you smile and think "WHAT was I thinking?"
Go to Top of Page

HFox
Farmgirl in Training

49 Posts

Laura
Parkesburg PA
USA
49 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2007 :  05:33:44 AM  Show Profile  Send HFox a Yahoo! Message
Sherri, it's very true!
I was re-reading my post thinking, I guess everyone can tell that I don't have a real farm yet...
;)
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2007 :  05:49:37 AM  Show Profile
Good sharp pocket knife
Sling shot (they look cute in back pocket)
at least one animal that escapes all of the time so that you have to chase it
Reel mower
ball of twine
wire cutters
good strong rope
cell phone
Burt's Bees almond milk hand cream =)

Wishing you joy in small things and peace in your heart
Annika
farmgirl sister#13
http://innermountainmudhens.wordpress.com/
http://panzymoon.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

MasterGardener
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

Chandra
Louisiana
USA
572 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2007 :  09:00:58 AM  Show Profile  Send MasterGardener a Yahoo! Message
A good pair of pruning shears
Kneeling pad
That wheelbarrow, mentioned above, needs a solid wheel (flat tires...arrrghhhh)
Tarp w/gathering straps to haul debris easily
Corn gluten meal as an organic pre-emergent and fertilizer
Farmer's Almanac for moon phases (planting)
Someone mentioned notebooks; great for notes of what worked/what didn't, recording when & where you planted what...
A water spicket for cleanin' up with a flat bed of rocks to stand on while cleanin' up...no mud to track back thru
Big bucket of sand mixed w/1 qt motor oil. Keep it @ the entrance of tool shed...after the tools are rinsed, drive 'em into the sand & move 'em back & forth before putting 'em up; this keeps'em conditioned for next time.
Boot scraper/puller @ the back door

.• ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.•´ .•´¨¨))
((¸¸.•´ ..• -:¦:- -:¦:- Chandra
-:¦:- ((¸¸.•´Farmgirl Sister #64

She considereth a field, and buyeth it; with the fruit of her hands she planteth a vineyard.
Proverbs 31:16

Edited by - MasterGardener on Dec 14 2007 1:08:22 PM
Go to Top of Page

Peanut
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jennifer
Waverly Virginia
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2007 :  04:24:02 AM  Show Profile
1. Cell phone
2. Trailer hitch
3. Measuring tape
4. Pocket knife
5. Bunjee cords
6. A baby sling (so true!)
7. Duct Tape
8. Lots of old towels for wiping off the kids so you can recognize them again
9. Mason jars (what in the world would I do without Mason jars?? We even drink out of them)
10. Fingernail polish - definitely!!
11. A bank (or two... or three) who will keep lending you money even through the tough times! :)

"What is a farm but a mute gospel?"
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

small graces
True Blue Farmgirl

108 Posts

Jennifer
Candor NY
USA
108 Posts

Posted - Dec 24 2007 :  12:55:36 PM  Show Profile
Here is mine, I have had some laughs reading the other posts! I am addicted to lists!!!!
1.Buckets
2.cotton string
3.my dewalt handsaw, great for chicken coops, cutting saplings for garden posts and stakes Dewalt drill, too actually
4.garden apron w/BIG pockets
5.watering can
6.my essential oils kit. It keeps me healthy and my animals too!
7.a good wheelbarrow
8.bungee cords are a must, for bringin home feed, or strapping down the crate of whatever critter we unexpectedly decided to bring home!! My hubby also gave me a pair of wratchet straps, I can put them on, but it's still a puzzle to me how I ever get them off! They work great when you have a load of hay! And they come in a pretty red color! Like your nail polish. I usually only do my toes, there usually are not enough nails to paint! ALthough, right now I do have nails, because of my pregnancy, my teenage farmgirl has been doing the heavy chores.
9.So, definitely take a teen farmgirl with you, they are the BEST!!

"Think about this day for a moment, Charlie Brown"... http://fmnfarm.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

carmeniris
Farmgirl in Training

24 Posts

Carmen
Little Falls Minnesota
USA
24 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2007 :  06:59:53 AM  Show Profile
I know you mentioned composting but one thing you could add is a worm composter. I have one in my basement. It truly does not smell, you can compost leftovers (not meat) in the winter and have a lot of low maintenance pets. Plus, you can get free instructions to build very cheap ones in the internet.
Go to Top of Page

Libbie

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2007 :  11:22:31 AM  Show Profile
I'll have to add to the "lotion and a pumice stone" bit above, and say that those sanding blocks that are like sponges with "built-in" sandpaper on all sides make FANTASTIC work of calloused feet! I know, it's sort of a weird use for them, but, hey - we do what we need to do for smooth feet, right?

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Farmgirl essentials... Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page