Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Hogs & Quiches & Prayers Round-up
 Farm Sisters Flooded - Let's Rally
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Hogs & Quiches & Prayers Round-up: Previous Topic Farm Sisters Flooded - Let's Rally Next Topic
Page: of 3

jenbove

320 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
320 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2007 :  12:24:41 PM  Show Profile
Dear Farmgirl Sisters,
In this week's Chapter Leader Newsletter, I posted a delightful letter from Lizzie Barnts of Full Circle Farmstead about her interest in hosting a regional MaryJane's Farm Fair next year. Lizzie was exuberant - so full of fantastic ideas - and now she and her entire farming community are all but "going under" from the onslaught of winter storms that are flooding western Washington. In short, they need some farm sister support.

I'll start assembling a list of needed items and will post it asap. In the meantime, please take a moment to read Lizzie's letter to me this morning:

Hi Jen--
I was so happy to see the newsletter--a bright spot in our
otherwise dismal day.

If you've heard the news, western Washington was hit pretty hard by
flooding. Monday we and many neighbors who came to help spent the
day evacuating livestock and feed, vehicles, and equipment to high
ground on surrounding farms. This work started at 7 am on monday, and
for me, I worked up until 1am filling water jugs and bringing to the
house any little thing that could be useful. I am so glad that I
kept on working because our farm sat in a four foot lake all of
Tuesday. Luckily, our house is on a high foundation (six feet) so we
didn't get any water in our house. I sure was glad for the empty
buckets that became our toilet, the bale of dry cedar shavings that
became our "toilet bedding", the lengths of rope that became tethers
for docking canoes, the cans of gas to run a generator or pump (not
that we have those, but the neighbors do). I didn't sleep one wink
between Monday and Tuesday. I could go on and one but the real
purpose of this email is to say that this is a FARMING community with
families who lost EVERYTHING-- and this is a good cause for farmgirls
to unite and send quilts, food, aprons, and maybe even donate animals
to folks who lost their farms.
I'm sure you all have got someone who
can organize such a thing. I could just cry thinking about the
losses some folks have suffered. FarmGirl cheer is just what they
need. Please see our website www.fullcirclefarmstead.com to read
about the flood and see some photos. It's just a tiny bit compared
to the info available on the web, but it shows US, and that makes it
real.

The water receded here yesterday and the now the damage is even more
visible. I could cry, but there's work to do. FarmGirl Anne Marie has
just arrived, selecting her favorite blue apron from my rack, to
make the day's food and tend to our three year old. FarmGirl
Kathleen is on her way to sort out the dairy equipment and see what
can be salvaged. FarmBoy Brett is on the tractor taking out the wet
bedding. And now FarmGirl Lizzie is going to go hug and kiss her
friends and family, giving thanks for community, then strap on my
waterproof overalls and get to work.

with hope and thankfulness,

Lizzie
Full Circle Farmstead
Centralia, WA

Jen

Expedition Leader, MaryJanesOutpost
www.maryjanesoutpost.com

Farmgirl Sisterterhood Member # 9

The View From My Boots
www.bovesboots.blogspot.com

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16446 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16446 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2007 :  12:51:10 PM  Show Profile
We have food on its way until we hear more. Is this the address to use?

Full Circle Farmstead
PO Box 272
Galvin, WA 98544
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2007 :  1:53:55 PM  Show Profile
As soon as we hear more I will be sending something for sure....We all need to help!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

bybiddie
True Blue Farmgirl

267 Posts

susan
upstate ny
USA
267 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2007 :  2:10:05 PM  Show Profile
Yes - let us know what they need. I would be happy to send anything I can.

Susan
**Farmgirl Sister #45**

Lovin' my life
http://BizzyHands.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Firemama
True Blue Farmgirl

1731 Posts

Amanda
Medical Lake WA
USA
1731 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2007 :  2:10:16 PM  Show Profile  Send Firemama a Yahoo! Message
Oh wow,there are no words to describe how much I wish I could go help.I hope everything turns out okay.Thinking of all our WesternWashington Farmgirl sisters,bighugs..

Mama to 2
Your FreckleFaced Farm Girl!!
FarmGirl# 20

http://myfarmdreams.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2007 :  3:49:05 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Oh I would love to pack up and go help! I will have to think of something I could do to help from long distance!

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand to keep Nora out of trouble!
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2007 :  5:09:12 PM  Show Profile
My family lives in Centralia and Chehalis and the devastati0n is mind b0ggling. My family was 0n higher gr0und, but Lizzie hugs t0 y0ur and the farm girls. We are well aquainted with Galvin and the Chehalis River that fl00ded s0 severly is right there in Galvin.
(((((hugs)))))) Car0l Sue

listening to the quiet moments
www.Quitemoments.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2007 :  5:48:31 PM  Show Profile
There is so much devastation here due to the floods. Chehalis/Centralia were especially hard hit because the dike broke and the river was 20 feet over flood stage. In 4 hours time everything was flooded. I-5 at Chehalis just opened tonight. I will get a care package made up and get it sent right off. I'm two hours away and will be glad to go there to help or take things to them. Just say the word!

Visit my Etsy Shop! http://therusticcottage.etsy.com
The Rustic Cottage Blog http://therusticcottage.blogspot.com
Farmgirl Flair Etsy Team http://farmgirlsonetsy.blogspot.com

Edited by - therusticcottage on Dec 06 2007 5:50:06 PM
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2007 :  7:43:15 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Are there a lot of children? I have some clothes that no longer fit my son I was going to donate that they can have. I also have some women's clothing they can have too.
Go to Top of Page

Rebekka Mae
True Blue Farmgirl

965 Posts

Rebekka
Moscow ID
USA
965 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2007 :  10:17:34 PM  Show Profile
I will be checking your blog Lizzie! Warmly, Rebekka

www.bebebella.etsy.com

As a woman I have no country. As a woman, my country is the whole world.

Virginia Woolf
Go to Top of Page

Shirley
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Shirley
Olympia Wa
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2007 :  12:16:26 AM  Show Profile
Its very bad,
My friend and DH lives above Belfair near Bremerton, they had 4 feet of water in thier house, they were upstairs for 2 days until they were rescued with thier dog, Jane said it came in to fast they didnt have time to save much, thier couches were floating along with the refrig, and everything else in the downstairs. Thier neighbor was coming home with her 4 little dogs in the car with her, the water hit the car so fast, the dogs wewre scared and wouldnt come out to her, and they all drowned, I was crying and I dont even know the lady.
Jane and Dh cars were floating and full of water so they are lost to. I could go on and on, they also have thier business in thier home, so paper work is all gone. Mildew sets in pretty fast sometimes, they were going back to see how things were today, so havent heard from her, and of course the looting has begun, I dont understand the people that live in our world that would do stuff like that.
Shirley
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2007 :  06:15:31 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Is Bremerton flooded? I was stationed there with the Navy and I have lots of military friends there. Please someone if you could let me know. Thanks.

Cheers,
Heather
Go to Top of Page

mima
True Blue Farmgirl

1573 Posts

1573 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2007 :  06:19:53 AM  Show Profile
I would love to help! Let me know what I could send!

"No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars,or sailed to an uncharted land or opened a new heaven to the human spirit." Helen Keller
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2007 :  06:31:10 AM  Show Profile
I've been so busy lately, I'm a bit out of the loop here. I only just heard about all of this yesterday. I may have some things of use. Please let us know what is needed and I'll send off a package pronto.

my blog: http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/
My Website:
http://www.freewebs.com/lisamariesbasketry/index.htm
Go to Top of Page

Lainey
True Blue Farmgirl

2401 Posts

Elaine
Waco Kentucky
USA
2401 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2007 :  07:08:52 AM  Show Profile
I'm so sorry to hear about this. We'll send something when we find out what's needed.

Farmgirl Sister #25

http://countrygirldreams.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Corinnelouise
True Blue Farmgirl

957 Posts

Corinne
France
957 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2007 :  07:12:23 AM  Show Profile
Jennifer, it there a way I can send money ? I have a Paypal account and could use it. I feel so sorry for all the losses and the damages. I will keep you and your friends in my prayers.
Corinne
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2007 :  07:39:25 AM  Show Profile
The farm that I help out and live on has a surplus of animals that are waiting to go to
the butcher and I may,with financial help, be able to buy a few goats and a ram or some lambs.
Right now I don't know anything and I would need some one to drive the
critters over. I only have one semi good eye and can't drive them myself
or I'd be on the road already... let me know if any one wants to go in on
some farm animals and I'll see if my land lady will sell them to us.
I STILL have to talk to her about it. She has been very busy
and hard to get ahold of due to the holidays.
But I would like to help if I can at all do so..

Also, I've got comforters and dishes if any one can get them over to the
folks.

Annika

Wishing you joy in small things and peace in your heart
Annika
http://innermountainmudhens.wordpress.com/
http://panzymoon.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

jenbove

320 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
320 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2007 :  07:40:46 AM  Show Profile
What a wonderful roundup of love & sisterhood! I asked Lizzie to come up with a preliminary list of needed stuff & a mailing address - no answer yet, but I bet she's working on it as we speak. Let me see of I can get a mailing address right away.
Back soon!!

Jen

www.maryjanesoutpost.com

The View From My Boots
Go to Top of Page

jenbove

320 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
320 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2007 :  08:51:19 AM  Show Profile
Ok, here's the info we need from Lizzie. In short, items can be sent items to:

Full Circle Farmstead
PO Box 272
Galvin, WA 98544

Please see Lizzie's letter below:

Jen-- I've got tears of gratitude in my eyes as I've just finished reading the post. Yes, people can send stuff to my PO box in Galvin (po box 272, galvin, wa 98544) because the postmistress there is a farmgirl too and since she's the postmistress she knows everyone who needs help and how to get it to them!

Below is a list that the United Way made up to give people an idea of what is needed, and how to send directly to United Way and reach the general population that have lost their homes and everything within.

As for me and my connection to others who have had great losses:

I have families on the left and right who both lost the entire contents of their homes. this is the third flood they've been through in less than 20 years and their morale is very very low. I can tell you that the insurance they have will not nearly cover their losses.

there are 3 families in a farming collective with small children who all had extensive and possibly total damage to their homes. These are my farmgirl sisters in the Independence Valley, with farms right along the Chehalis River. What is significant about these families is that they have no insurance-- no health insurance, no home insurance, no farm insurance. This is so often the case with small family farms. Two of these families have babies under a year old.

I just got news that our friends Mike and Heidi at Boistfort Valley Farm had three feet of water in their house and the farm is a disaster. Their baby is less than a year old.

our friends Brad and Meg Gregory of Black Sheep Creamery (Chehalis) lost EVERYTHING. Here is their story, taken from an email prayer circle group and forwarded to me. This is how I learned of their losses--

For those of you who know the folks at Black Sheep Creamery-- the recent floods have hit them very hard. Their hundred year old homestead had never flooded dangerously in all of its recorded years.
So they were not expecting this to be worse than the last big flood; and they knew where that water mark was.

But-this came very fast and many times worse than ever before.

They did save their family.They were evacuated by boat and helicopter.

They lost 3/4s of their dairy sheep flock including all the rams and the best ewes. All pregnant and due in February.
22 of 85 were alive when they got back in today. All of those spent 12 hours in water.

The creamery, parlor and aging room all were under water. The house had 4 feet and is uninhabitable now. They have 3 young kids.

They are in shock and staying with friends. But there are 22 ewes to keep alive now-all of them spent 12 hours in water-they are at a fellow farmer's place nearby.

They have lost next year's income with the ewes that died and their milk.
They have lost years of carefully selected breeding stock.
There is several inches of muck in the creamery and aging facilities. Pasturizers, milkers etc-- all in muck.
They lost all of this years hay.
They lost all fences and many field shelters.
They have lost many thousands of dollars of aged cheeses.
As some of you know they were just getting out of their "day jobs" and expanding the farm, which was doing great in the national cheese market. There is no insurance for this sort of loss.
SO-- please pray for them.

My friend Bill in Independence Valley moved here with his wife from Chicago for no reason other than to buy the farm neighboring their daughter's CSA farm to save it from development. He lost all his livestock-- goats, pigs, chickens-- except for two yearling does who are now at my farm in a makeshift shelter until the barn gets put back together.

These are just a few of the stories of folks who I know personally and love dearly. We are having a work party on our farm this Saturday December 8 and anyone who wants to come is welcome to contact me for directions and details (ejshoyden@earthlink.net or 360-807-9282). That makes us lucky-- most of the folks mentioned above can't even get back to their farms yet. Any one of the families that I know in need would appreciate anything from the United Way list below.

In addition, if farmgirls want to do something really MJ instead of something generic, I know that your own home made contributions would be received with deep gratitude and cherished as a reminder of how important community is-- whether it's your immediate geographic community or a community at-large with more esoteric ties.

To be more specific, First Aid kits with homey touches would be awesome (like adding the emergency medication of CHOCOLATE!)

and also First Aid Kits for livestock (vet wrap, syringes 3cc-10cc for giving vitamin drenches and sulfa, 7% iodine, a pill shooter, aspirin, large gauze pads, Neosporin, bag balm, thermometer, probios, hand sanitizer and wipes )

How about tool boxes with an array of fasteners and hardware, including stuff like swivel snaps and screw-in eye hooks, carribeeners, rope and bungee cords, all of which are great for making instant fences and gates. (Ironically, the Home Depot store in under water!)

Or Fun Packs for small kids-- crayons and paper, stickers and books to put them in, or even books to read.

How about Baby Kits-- diapers, a quilt or blanket to set Little One on while changing diapers, rash ointment and wipes, Hyland's teething tablets, a soft toy, and extra socks, all in a bag. A lot of the folks with babies use cloth diapers.

How about a Necessary Business Pack-- a backpack with notebooks and pens, some file folders or pocket folders, stamps and envelopes, permanent markers, a calculator, rubber bands, paper clips, tape, sticky notes and clipboard.

Cleanup Kit with duct tape, heavy duty toxic chemical gloves, dust masks, garbage bags. You get the drift-- you can customize a kit for lots of the needs these families will have.

If you want to send stuff to United Way, the info is below. If you want to send stuff to me to pass out to folks, just send to my PO box.

thank you for your support-- just knowing that folks WANT to help makes a world of difference in our outlook.

with gratitude,
Lizzie Barnts
Full Circle Farmstead
Centralia, WA
lizzie@fullcirclefarmstead.com or ejshoyden@earthlink.net
360-807-9282

News Release from United Way of Lewis County - Current status as of December 6, 2007

United Way of Lewis County is located at 450 NW Pacific Avenue -downtown Chehalis. We are the drop-off location for all items needed to assist those affected by the flood. United Way of Lewis County has information on our website at www.lewiscountyuw.com, or you can email Debbie Campbell, Executive Director directly at director@lewiscountyuw.com The office phone number is 360-748-8100 and on the answering machine you will find a 24 hour number that folks can call and get in touch with someone.

At this time over 1,000 families have been affected over a 1800 square mile area. The National Guard and the four shelters set up in the area have requested that that donations not be dropped off at those sites - the
one coordinated effort will be through United Way, and we are working with the Sheriff's Department and all cities affected through their emergency management folks to get the things distributed to the people with immediate needs.

Items needed include
Gas Cards
Visa Debit Cards (which can be purchased at any Bank in increments of $25, $50, $100)
Gift cards - Wal*Mart, K-Mart, Fred Meyer, Target, Bed Bath and Beyond, Linens and Things, basically any type of gift card so displaced homeowners can purchase the things they need to get their lives back together

Bottled water
Baby Formula
Diapers
Food
Bedding
Rain Gear
Rubber Gloves
Clothing
Toiletries
Blankets
Household bleach (no additives)
Feminine and infant supplies
Baby wipes
Toilet paper
Bar soap
Liquid detergent
Shampoo
Toothpaste and toothbrushes
Paper plates
Paper towels
Heavy-duty aluminum foil
Large plastic trash bags
Newspaper
Waterproof matches
Large Trash cans
Gloves for clearing debris
Plastic tape and sheeting
Knife or razor blades
Sleeping bags
Flashlight and batteries
First aid supplies; fir aid book

Cooking Supplies include
Barbeque, camp stove, chafing dish
Fuel for cooking (charcoal, camp stove fuel, etc)
Plastic knives, forks, spoons

Tools include
Ax
Shovel
Broom
Screwdriver, pliers, hammer
Rope
Garden Hose

Please feel free to call me anytime at 360-748-8100 (work).

United Way of Lewis County is here for the long term cleanup, and we will do our very best to get the community we all love so much up and running again very soon. Thanks so much for your assistance on this.

Debbie Campbell
United Way of Lewis County
Executive Director
360-748-8100
www.lewiscountyuw.com
director@lewiscountyuw.com

Jen

www.maryjanesoutpost.com

The View From My Boots

Edited by - jenbove on Dec 07 2007 08:54:04 AM
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2007 :  09:41:09 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
I just went to Target and Walmart and they have a lot of dollar bins- things you could put into a nice backpack and fill for Christmas, especially for the kids- pencils, pens, books, paper, crayons- things like that. For $20, you could do something really nice.

Also, I just asked my local health food store for some of the organic food bars and I asked them to sell me 2 boxes at a lower cost. After I explained the situation, they did!! I am so excited.

I am going over to the Outreach Ministries tomorrow- they help military families in need and I can get diapers, blankets, wipes, ect, if they have it.

Just a few ideas!!

What a great bunch of gals!!

Cheers,
Heather
Go to Top of Page

Shirley
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Shirley
Olympia Wa
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2007 :  12:53:26 PM  Show Profile
I dont think Bremerton is flooded, Belfair is south of there ,Jane is in the Tahuya river area, that where the water came from, that over flooded into the houses, in that area.
Mike and Heidi are vendors at the Olympia farmers market that Im in.I buy thier produce all the time. There are several vendors that got flooded from down there, so they wont be at the market for the remainder of the season, the market will be missing them this week end and rest of the year.
Shirley
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2007 :  1:10:10 PM  Show Profile
Oh, this is just awful. Thank you so much for letting us all know how we can help. Being on a small family farm myself, I can truly imagine the loss these folks are experiencing. It's heartbreaking. I will be rounding up things and my little farmboys have some things to add, too. It is so reassuring that although we can't always "fix" things, farmgirls sure can help!!!

XOXO, Libbie

"Farmgirl Sister #10," and proud of it!!!
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16446 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16446 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2007 :  08:26:47 AM  Show Profile
We've sent food. Now we're gathering together other odds and ends--vet supplies, bedding, etc. (to include aprons and chocolate). Please keep these folks in your hearts and help them if you can. These are the people who feed us. MaryJane

P.S. This is how a co-op like Organic Valley works (you've probably bought some of their dairy products). Small organic dairies like these supply them and they supply us. I know some of the farmers who supply OV directly are in this area that's been devastated.

Heroic neighbors fought flood's fury, but many animals couldn't be saved By Hal Bernton

CURTIS, Lewis County — When the waters came raging toward the dairy barns, Roy Osborn Jr.'s cows did a strange thing.

Often wary of humans, they crowded close to Osborn as though they knew he offered them their last hope of salvation.

The 22-year-old dairy farmer did all he could to rescue those 250 Jerseys and Holsteins. For several body-numbing hours early Monday morning, he waded and sometimes swam through the floodwaters to herd as many cows as he could to a neighbor's higher ground.

He pushed some of the younger animals ahead of him or wrapped his arm around their necks as they struggled through the murky, debris-filled waters. Some of the older cows walked behind, and occasionally did some swimming of their own with a surprising display of buoyancy.

Osborn returned to the water again and again until, nearly hypothermic, he gave up.

"I saved as many as I could," Osborn said. "It was the worst day of my life."

Osborn wasn't alone in that struggle. He was aided by a neighbor, 27- year-old John Kesting Jr., who braved the floodwaters to join in the rescue. At 6 feet 8 inches tall, Kesting used his height to good advantage in the rushing waters.

Kesting brushed off his action. "That's what friends are for," he said.

Here in the Boistfort Valley, friends and neighbors repeatedly came together to help rescue lives — human and animal — from the rampaging river that swamped homes and barns with water as deep as 12 feet. The flood grew so powerful that it picked up benches and cows and left them hanging in trees, placed a trailer upside down on top of a blue Geo and deposited thousands of logs in fields.

Elsewhere in Southwest Washington — in small towns and hamlets such as Pe Ell, Doty and Adna that many in Seattle have rarely heard of — there was a similar outpouring of help as people risked their own lives to aid neighbors.

The Boistfort Valley was one of the hardest-hit areas. Some 900 people live here along a stretch of the Chehalis River. A keen sense of community draws in newcomers and keeps many longtime residents here even when they commute to work elsewhere.

In the past year, driven by the damage left from last year's big storm, the community established an emergency-operations center.

For the past few days, the center has been operating at full tilt from a local Grange hall. Volunteers helped with rescues, organized the cleanup and delivered food and bottled water to residents.

Barry Panush, the fire chief, estimates that some 30 homes in the region suffered severe flood damage. The flood took out the local water system and destroyed fire equipment as it dumped 10 feet of water in the fire hall.

The rising water trapped many people. Lewis County emergency officials helped organize some of the rescues Monday, but others involved neighbors helping neighbors.

Billy Anderson rowed through the downstream floodwaters to help his neighbor Aaron Wilson move his family's furniture. Anderson then got stuck along with the Wilson family as the river rose.

Rod Rector joined his son-in-law, Harvey Loose, to rescue several horses and Max, a blue heeler dog. They slogged across a flooded field to higher ground. When Max got caught on barbed wire, Rector reached back to rescue the dog. When Rector had troubles, his son-in- law kept him on course.

"He would grab you and put you back where you belong," Rector said.

On Wednesday, in the muddy aftermath, it seemed remarkable that no one in this area had been killed. But the flood exacted a horrible toll on the animals. One dairy farmer was cut off from his herd so quickly that all he could do was hunker down in the second story of his house and listen to the wails of his dying cows.

Osborn could not save most of his family's animals, losing an estimated 180 cows.

Many died in Osborn's milking barn, where some animals left behind sought safety in a familiar place. They died as the water rose to the top of the structure. Some tried to swim to safety. Only one cow survived, perching on a silage pile.

When the floodwaters kept rising, Osborn joined his cows on the higher ground of the Kesting family farm. So did other neighbors, who knew from a 1996 flood that this was a refuge.

But this time, even Kesting's farm was flooded.

Valley residents are now occupied with trying to remove all the dead cows. The surviving cows, in a convoy organized by Roy Osborn Sr., are being taken to another dairy where they can be milked.

One small, furry survivor stayed behind in Kesting's barn. It was a rabbit that was found earlier on a hay bale along the river. The bale had been carefully placed inside the barn.

The Kesting family nicknamed the rabbit Lucky. And they helped him out with a fine meal of rolled corn.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/
2004055780_floodcurtis06m.html
Go to Top of Page

koolaidqueen
Farmgirl in Training

25 Posts

Julie
Sherwood Michigan
25 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2007 :  09:14:33 AM  Show Profile
Boy, this certainly makes my troubles look like a walk in the park. Please extend my deepest apologies to the families and I will rally my farmgirls here to send some stuff.

Julie...Official Farmgirl, Gardener, Stitcher, County Fair girl, and lots of other stuff!!
"I love the way libraries smell." -That Wild Berries Should Grow by Gloris Whelan
Go to Top of Page

jenbove

320 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
320 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2007 :  3:44:12 PM  Show Profile
Some photos that really bring this situation "to life" for those of us in other parts of the country:

http://picasaweb.google.com/jeremykingfamily/Flood2007

Jen

www.maryjanesoutpost.com

The View From My Boots
Go to Top of Page

Rebekka Mae
True Blue Farmgirl

965 Posts

Rebekka
Moscow ID
USA
965 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2007 :  6:07:29 PM  Show Profile
Lizzie-
I am putting together a box of gently used clothing and some earthy baby supplies to send next week;)
Love, Rebekka

www.bebebella.etsy.com

As a woman I have no country. As a woman, my country is the whole world.

Virginia Woolf
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Hogs & Quiches & Prayers Round-up: Previous Topic Farm Sisters Flooded - Let's Rally Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page