Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Hogs & Quiches & Prayers Round-up
 Farm Sisters Flooded - Let's Rally
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Hogs & Quiches & Prayers Round-up: Previous Topic Farm Sisters Flooded - Let's Rally Next Topic
Page: of 3

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2007 :  7:20:39 PM  Show Profile
I have a lot of that stuff around the house and in my sheds. I'll get a box together to ship out Monday. I'll check with our other farmgirls to see if they have anything they want to include, also.

How devastating. I'm close to tears...You all are in my prayers.

my blog: http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/
My Website:
http://www.freewebs.com/lisamariesbasketry/index.htm
Go to Top of Page

Lizabeth
True Blue Farmgirl

560 Posts

Washington
560 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2007 :  8:45:41 PM  Show Profile
I talked to lizzie tonight. We are just a bit north of their area. I will be driving down tomorrow or monday (she'll let me know in the morning what day is better) with a carload of household items (pillows, dishes, furniture, clothing etc) from our home and from some neighbors and friends. If anyone wants to email me about having me take down more stuff from the olympia area let me know. I can always use my mil's truck, or even rent a small uhaul.

Heather 'beth
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2007 :  07:34:15 AM  Show Profile
My son and dil live in Centralia (in my mom's house) and they have horses at a pasture near the Chehalis River. They went to check on their horses and had to drive through deep water to get to the barn. Well, they were out, trying to get their horses in and the water started to rise rapidly. By the time they got back to their truck, the water was over the headlights (and this is a four-wheel drive truck). My son hoisted my dil up into the top of the barn and they couldn't get out by then. The truck, of course, wouldn't start with all that water in it. He is soaked up to his armpits, but had carried her on his shoulders through the deepest water. She said the water was moving so rapidly (current) she though for sure they were both going to drown. They had left their cell phone in the pickup and it was ruined, but his CB was up high enough he was able to take it up into the rafters with them. They tried to contact someone on the emergency channel, but no luck. He tried signalling the helicopter overhead with a flashlight, but no luck. They ended up spending the whole night up there, until about 7 am someone responded on the emergency channel. The rescuers came by boat, and they went out of a high window and were boated to high ground. The horses, meanwhile, were standing on the highest spot, with just their heads sticking out of water. DS went back to get them in a boat and led them out, one by one, to high ground, then had to get a ride back to his house, which had escaped the flood, thank god, to pick up his other pick up and horse trailer. He had no where to take the horses on such short notice, so a friend on a hill said he could bring them there but he had no fenced pasture. He hobbled them for the day, and went home for a shower. The next day he had to go tow his truck home - it still won't start - and try and find somewhere for three horses and a mule. Boy, it amazes me the way he came through under pressure. We just than God that his house didn't get it too, because it has in the past. Just a different river rose quickly this time. The main thing is they both survived the ordeal - it could just have easily ended differently.
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2007 :  07:51:55 AM  Show Profile
I am in tears for all of those that bravely fought and lost in this disaster. Your story made me hold my breath til the end. This so very much could have been a bad ending. I'm so glad that they all survived. Bless your brave son, dil and all of the unsung daily heroes in this.

Wishing you joy in small things and peace in your heart
Annika
http://innermountainmudhens.wordpress.com/
http://panzymoon.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

debinmtns
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Debi
Hope Idaho
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2007 :  08:38:46 AM  Show Profile
I had tears as well, I am sending my baby quilts, towel sets and aprons, I had made for the my craftfairs. anything else I can send. We should reunite together. This is the season for us to open our hearts and give!

debinmtns farmgirl #63
Have a Thankfulness Gratitude Attitude.
Go to Top of Page

herbquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

891 Posts

Kristine
Bonney Lake Wa
USA
891 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2007 :  10:05:22 PM  Show Profile
The flooding in Chehelis area has been devistating. Our family was there yesterday & today voluterring to help families clean out & prepare for repairs. Many are homeless & have lost everything. There was over 2500 volunteers this weekend, but they are in need of:
-Heavy help to cut out flooring, remove subflooring, sheetrock, insulation, etc. Please bring saw-zaw's & other equipment, your own food & water, etc.
-People are in need of food, blankets, & Christmas, along with Farmgirl aprons, towel, potholders, etc. Anything to be "normal", warm or homey. The problem is that many don't have a place to live yet.
But many hands make work light & there is much work to do. We will be gathering quilts & other items & I will be going down again this next week.

It is amazing what power water has!!!

Blessings,
Kristine ~ Mother of Many & Herbalist
www.herbalmomma.com
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2007 :  10:35:28 PM  Show Profile
Sherri,
S0 glad y0ur family is 0kay, scary t0 think ab0ut. Thinking 0f y0u all and praying.
Car0l Sue

listening to the quiet moments
www.Quitemoments.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Rebekka Mae
True Blue Farmgirl

965 Posts

Rebekka
Moscow ID
USA
965 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2007 :  10:42:29 PM  Show Profile
Lizzie- A package will be on it's way tomorrow (some of it and a goofy thing now and then to make you giggle)...please be sure to keep what you need first;) LOVELOVELOVE, Rebekka

www.bebebella.etsy.com

As a woman I have no country. As a woman, my country is the whole world.

Virginia Woolf
Go to Top of Page

Shirley
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Shirley
Olympia Wa
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2007 :  12:29:25 AM  Show Profile
Sherri,
Has he found a place to put the horses? We have fenced pasture and a barn not being used by our animals.
My phone 360 491-2177
Go to Top of Page

idcityrose
True Blue Farmgirl

202 Posts

Rose
Idaho City Idaho
USA
202 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2007 :  07:17:59 AM  Show Profile
What a tragedy this is. All of the lifetimes of hard work detroyed in such a short time. We are all praying for all of you and will be sending care packages out soon with some of the items in the list.

This tragedy actually causes my heart to ache. Such good people of the earth, farmers, dairymen, ranchers, to have all the years of hard, hard work gone in a flash.

I watched the news reports but until I read about this on the forum it did not hit me as hard as it is now.

We will help as much as possible.
Our love to all of you!
Sincerely,
idcityrose (Mountain Farmgirls of Idaho City)

We are never alone in the forest of Sisters! We "Mountain Farmgirls" are outstanding in our field!
Go to Top of Page

julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2007 :  09:23:27 AM  Show Profile
Good morning Ladies.. MaryJane just let me know about the great needs out there so I will be boxing up my cloth diapers among other things..I am so so so sorry to hear about it.. I had some idea of the devastation but it was sort of superficial until I read this thread.. I'm sitting here trying to wrap my head around it actually. My love to you all as you find the strength to face the day! warmly, julia hayes

being simple to simply be
Go to Top of Page

jenbove

320 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
320 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2007 :  11:39:22 AM  Show Profile
Hi Sweet Sisters - Here's the latest from Lizzie:

Hi Jen-- I sent you a copy of the email to Pat and Zerine and Elmer.
I am hoping to close that circle soon so Brad and Meg can get their
sheep off to a cozier place for lambing. I just wish you ALL could
see the looks of amazement and relief on their faces when I told them
there were people just standing by waiting to help them. They have
something to look forward to, a hopefulness, in these dismal times.

I mostly wanted to update you on the situation down here. Feel free
to edit any of this if you want to post it-- I check out the farmgirl
connection as often as possible and it fills me with so much
gratitude to see the outpouring of support from the farmgirls!

I have been getting lots of emails and phone calls directly from
farmgirls wanting to help. This is GREAT!! I have responded to
everyone so far, and have a notebook where I am cataloging what is
offered. This helps me keep track of what will be coming so I can
check it against my "who needs what" list. That way, when boxes come
in, I know just where to send them. I just took a call from FarmGirl
Heather in Olympia-- she is arriving tomorrow in a van packed with
donations and money from 10 different FarmGirls!!!!!! Rock on,
Olympia!!! I will organize the donations and start deliveries later
tomorrow!!

Today we went to Boistfort, Curtis, and Adna. It is just so horrible
there-- I cannot even stand to describe it. I just burst into tears
and my 3 year old said, Mama, what is bad? Everywhere you see the
yellow notices on the houses -- "condemned". And you see huge
excavators scooping the contents of homes into huge dump trucks.
Every appliance, muddy and trashed, muddy mattresses and bedding
piled in the yards. Insulation and wallboard, gutted out of the
houses, just piled in gigantic mounds with the excavators working to
get it loaded. Scary piles of logs that jammed the river and then
broke free, raging across pastures, taking out buildings in their way
and coming to rest in the middle of a road. The orangy-red mud-slime
covers everything below 4 feet. It is hell to clean off. I can tell
you that the work will be ongoing for WEEKS. And it will be the same
story for those weeks-- cold, wet, muddy.

Some things that are REALLY important--

GLOVES!!! the kind that are totally rubberized, with some kind of
lining. the heavy black or blue hazmat kind are great, but the
shorter version that is cotton or lycra dipped in rubber is also good
because they are washable.

BIG PLASTIC TOTE BOXES they are waterproof, cleanable, and folks can put their newly-bought stuff in them to stay clean and organized while they work in the filth. Lots of folks are living with friends or family or in motels while their homes are gutted and repaired. Having a place to put stuff is a problem.

So, this is where GIFT CARDS would be great-- places locally that
carry totes are Ace Hardware, WalMart, K-Mart, although K-Mart and
WalMart were under water. My locally owned Ace didn't get any water
and they carry them, as well as gloves, so gift cards for Ace or for
just plain debit cards with money on them work well. Debit cards can
buy food, diapers, gas for running the generators-- they can pay cell
phone bills, too and this is no small thing now that all these folks
are forced to use their cell phones constantly. Can you imagine how
many minutes over plan they must be? The details of the costs of
getting through this are mind-boggling. Gas cards will work too,
although the smaller gas stations in these tiny towns might not take
them, I don't know. Most important is the off-road diesel for the
tractors and generators.

SEEDS!! thank you to Corrine Boucher in Canada for emailing me with this idea! Many of these farmers are veggie farmers. They lost all their seeds! I know that many of them order each spring, but there is also a "backstock" of seeds carried over each year, and some of these outfits save their own seeds from heirloom varieties that grow well in their microclimate. I will be checking in with the veggie farmers to see if they have a list, or, if they have certain catalogs they like to buy from like Territorial Seeds who are specialized for the pacific northwest.

FOOD especially snacky stuff-- like the energy bars that one gal
mentioned on the farmgirl thread. I saw muddy workers munching on
these bars because they could hold them cleanly in the wrapper right
up to the last bite, without taking their gloves off!! Soup mixes
and hot baked item mixes. Hot Drink Mixes. This way, We Who Tend
the Muddy Workers can deliver meals. Chocolate! helps soothe the
nerves. GUM! to help feel fresh when fresh is SO not possible.

and speaking of fresh-- SOAP!!! you cannot imagine the filth. How
about some fingernail brushes? Hand-size linen towels so they can be
washed and re-used each day. And ponytail elastics. And those
clippie things that are like jaws for hair (sorry-- i'm not a "hair"
girl!). This kind of care kit would hit the spot. Bandanas!!! good
for workers of both genders-- wipe runny noses, wipe muddy hands,
hold back hair.

Specifically, every one of the these families I visited today has
lost every single appliance: fridge, freezers, washer, dryer, coffee maker, stove, and microwave are the big ones. Many have also lost the use of their wells, and while I don't understand it completely, the work to restore their wells to "usable" is going to be very costly. Perhaps it is because the muddy silt has ruined the well pumps? I know that in some cases the plumbing from well to house and barn was completely ripped apart and destroyed by the raging water. So far, nobody has found their well equipment to be covered under flood insurance, and many of these folks couldn't get flood insurance to begin with. So basically, everyone is going to be taking on huge debt. I'm telling you all this to put in perspective that ANY
LITTLE HELP MEANS A LOT because there will just plain not be enough
money to put things back the way they were.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU to all who have been sending aid and
are sending aid this week. I CANNOT STRESS ENOUGH how wonderful it
is to be able to hand someone a gift card or a plate of apple pie and
say "a farmgirl in Texas sent this for farmers in need". Today I
had the great honor of handing out $500 in cash to people who were
feeling quite hopeless. This would not be possible without the aid
you all are sending. As a dear friend of mine likes to say, "money
isn't everything, but it can make lots of good things happen". Thank
you for your GOOD THINGS HAPPENING!!

Tired but hopeful I close now--
Lizzie

Jen

Expedition Leader, MaryJanesOutpost
www.maryjanesoutpost.com

Farmgirl Sisterterhood Member # 9

The View From My Boots
www.bovesboots.blogspot.com

Edited by - jenbove on Dec 10 2007 11:49:28 AM
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2007 :  9:35:52 PM  Show Profile
Shirley - I just saw your post. Thanks so much for the offer. He moved them up to Cinebar to a friends for now, but that's pretty tough for him as he works in Yelm. I gave him your number and he said to tell you thanks so much and he would give you a call if need be. Thanks again, that was sweet of you! Sherri
Go to Top of Page

Shirley
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Shirley
Olympia Wa
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2007 :  12:39:46 AM  Show Profile
Ok Sherri,
we are here if he needs us
Shirley
Go to Top of Page

jenbove

320 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
320 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2007 :  06:05:30 AM  Show Profile
Link to a SeattlePI news article about the Black Sheep Creamery:
"Creamery loses sheep -- gains a few friends"
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/342633_farm07.html

Jen

www.maryjanesoutpost.com

The View From My Boots
Go to Top of Page

Lizabeth
True Blue Farmgirl

560 Posts

Washington
560 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2007 :  07:40:44 AM  Show Profile
Hi ladies! I had the priviledge of meeting Lizzie yesterday morning, when I drove down with a van stuffed full of donated goods (I literally could not see out the back windows). I had made a few phonecalls to ladies in my area, and posted a message to my mothers of preschoolers group. One of those moms gave, amongst other things, two full boxes of beautiful baby blankets she had made, a huge bag of hand knit childrens sweaters from her dad, and lovely litle girls clothing. So I had these, other household items, blankets, pillows, clothing, a crib, high chair etc etc.
Driving to Lizzie's I saw at least two houses with ruined possessions stacked by the road. Quite startling.
Lizzie is the sweetest person, and totally the right person to be co-ordinating distribution of donations. She has a keen awareness of needs in the community and a charitable heart. She was thrilled to see what all I had brought and had one lady there ready to sort and inventory and two more on their way to take things and lunch down to the grange.
She said the monetary donations she has received have been particularly useful as these funds can go to gas for tractors and generators and to purchase specifically requested supplies (i.e. plastic storage bins).

Thanks to each of you for your generosity. Remember that this will take months to sort out and get the families back on their feet.
Go to Top of Page

jenbove

320 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
320 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2007 :  5:57:23 PM  Show Profile
From Lizzie:

My friend Jinny is a granger in Olympia and she got the list of foods that they need and went to Costco to buy in bulk. I remember that granola bars and juice boxes were important needs, as well as bananas, apples, easy peel oranges, and carrots so that these folks can get their 5 a day!! For the farmgirls who are somewhat within driving distance and want to help, I think that I can come up with a better and more specific list of food the granges can use and folks can get it at Costco in bulk if they want. The granges are spooky about taking pots of food and that kind of thing, they prefer to get ingredients and have the local restaurants that are volunteering make it for them. that way everything they serve was made in a licensed kitchen. But the farms themselves are very happy for hot meals-- the farmers in independence valley especially.
again, as always, thanks and thanks and thanks!
lizzie

Jen

www.maryjanesoutpost.com

The View From My Boots

Edited by - jenbove on Dec 11 2007 6:00:43 PM
Go to Top of Page

MasterGardener
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

Chandra
Louisiana
USA
572 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2007 :  05:08:04 AM  Show Profile  Send MasterGardener a Yahoo! Message
Can you give a definition for "granger"?

.• ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.•´ .•´¨¨))
((¸¸.•´ ..• -:¦:- -:¦:- Chandra
-:¦:- ((¸¸.•´Farmgirl Sister #64

She considereth a field, and buyeth it; with the fruit of her hands she planteth a vineyard.
Proverbs 31:16
Go to Top of Page

jenbove

320 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
320 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2007 :  08:00:51 AM  Show Profile
Hi Chandra,
A granger is someone affiliated with a local Grange. I've seen & heard about Grange halls, but I never knew exactly what they were either, so here's the lowdown:

"The National Grange is the nation's oldest national agricultural organization, with grassroots units established in 3,600 local communities in 37 states. Its 300,000 members provide service to agriculture and rural areas on a wide variety of issues, including economic development, education, family endeavors, and legislation designed to assure a strong and viable Rural America. It was formed in the years following the American Civil War to unite private citizens in improving the economic and social position of the nation's farm population. Over the past 137 years, it has evolved to include non-farm rural families and communities."

Here's the National Grange website: http://www.nationalgrange.org/about/history.html

Jen

www.maryjanesoutpost.com

The View From My Boots
Go to Top of Page

MasterGardener
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

Chandra
Louisiana
USA
572 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2007 :  08:11:26 AM  Show Profile  Send MasterGardener a Yahoo! Message
WOW! THAT is impressive. I'd have loved to have been affiliated with that type of an organization in my youth & developed a lifestyle around it. What a mature choice.
Thanks Jen.

.• ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.•´ .•´¨¨))
((¸¸.•´ ..• -:¦:- -:¦:- Chandra
-:¦:- ((¸¸.•´Farmgirl Sister #64

She considereth a field, and buyeth it; with the fruit of her hands she planteth a vineyard.
Proverbs 31:16
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16446 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16446 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2007 :  08:24:27 AM  Show Profile
Our second shipment from the farm went out yesterday UPS: vet supplies, gloves, face masks, duct tape, garbage bags, etc. along with aprons, chocolate, food bars, farmgirl totes... as well as boxes of REUSE items that my daughter rounded up--lots of baby and kid gear, even some 7th generation disposable diapers. Bedding is next but it might be best if I knew specific needs? Single, double, queen? What is most needed in terms of bedding? Where is everyone sleeping???? I know when my house burned, we at least had a car to drive to the floors of friends or a local hotel. You don't even have that. I can't imagine the chaos you're dealing with, mud EVERYWHERE and cold. I cry every time I think about you.
Go to Top of Page

La Patite Ferme
True Blue Farmgirl

623 Posts

Jenn
CA
USA
623 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2007 :  09:21:46 AM  Show Profile
Lizzy,

Thinking about gas cards - Is there a Costco within a resonable distance? Do they have a gas station? Would the folks be able to use a Costco gift card for gas? I'm going to mine this morning and can pick one up. If not gas then certainly useful for food.

Please let me know what you think.

Jenn
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2007 :  10:21:10 AM  Show Profile
Yep - there's a Costco in Olympia - about 20 minutes to Centralia.
Go to Top of Page

miss wilma
True Blue Farmgirl

3410 Posts

Wilma
Knob Lick Ky
USA
3410 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2007 :  1:26:02 PM  Show Profile
Girls I will try to get a box out by Monday,I am so sorry this has happened to so many people I think it is so good to see so many willing people that are ready to help. Miss Wilma

I am a farm girl married to a sewing machine

http://misswilma.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2007 :  5:36:17 PM  Show Profile
Jen! WOW.. I have a box of cloth diapers..little girl and little boy clothes heading your way as well as some other things. I have a few friends here who have clothes and other kid things that would be happy to donate...just wondering what the needs are in that department..If you are overwhelmed already, we won't send them otherwise they're on the way!
All my love to you...sending you strength, light, hope and some cheer!
Julia Hayes

being simple to simply be
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Hogs & Quiches & Prayers Round-up: Previous Topic Farm Sisters Flooded - Let's Rally Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page