Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Chapters
 Farmgirl Chapter Chatter
 Inner Mountain Mud Hens Cyber chapter! :Updates
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Farmgirl Chapter Chatter: Previous Topic Inner Mountain Mud Hens Cyber chapter! :Updates Next Topic
Page: of 6

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2007 :  05:30:37 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi Ladies!

I was away from electrcity for the weekend, so I just got caught up.

Soon it will be time to start our seeds for spring gardens! Just a few more months! This year, my green house tomatoes didn't do so well (from our local nursery) so I am going to try to get them started in doors under a sun light and container garden until Mother's Day when they will get planted.

I probably won't put much more than tomatoes in unless it looks like our plans start changing.

What plans you might ask? Well, Doug and I *might* be picking up and moving when our lease is over in June! I still can't wrap my mind around it! We are pretty sure we are going to be moving to Billings, MT. It would put us only 3 hours from our home town.

So with that in the back of my mind, I am not sure if I want to go to all the expense of putting in a garden when I don't know if the next renters will take care of it. :(

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand to keep Nora out of trouble!

Edited by - Alee on Dec 10 2007 05:34:31 AM
Go to Top of Page

Beach Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

Vanessa
Williamsburg VA
111 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2007 :  06:41:06 AM  Show Profile
Oh, Alee, I'm so envious of even the word "might." How I wish there was a "might" in my life for a move. I do have a few doors to knock on regarding a move back to VA for us and am hoping that the Lord will open them. The way I see it, I can't expect the Lord to open the door unless I knock and let Him know I'm interested.

I hope you get your might; I'll keep you posted on mine.

Vanessa
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2007 :  06:58:02 AM  Show Profile
Corinne, you are such a lovely person! First the seeds and then the quilting. This is great. I know that I could help with the seeds, I am a novice quilter and have little to send, but any way that we can help. I will email about busy bags for the ladies too

Alee, I am sad that you may be leaving, but happy for you if it is what you want. I hope that what ever happens is good for you both and Nora.

Vanessa, my grandma had a saying that went "The good lord helps them that help themselves" and you do have to knock sometimes. I'm envious that you got to live in VA, what pretty country! I hope that you get to go back and enjoy it.

I will keep my fingers crossed for all of your wishes

Wishing you joy in small things and peace in your heart
Annika
farmgirl sister#13
http://innermountainmudhens.wordpress.com/
http://panzymoon.wordpress.com/

Edited by - Annika on Dec 10 2007 06:59:01 AM
Go to Top of Page

debinmtns
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Debi
Hope Idaho
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2007 :  07:54:56 AM  Show Profile
Alee-I understanding about being close to home. But with my DH use to be in the military, I soon learned "Home Is Where The Heart Is". If thats where you heart is, you just have to follow it.
I hope you will be happy.
Ladies, I am mailed out a box, baby quilts and aprons (being farmgirls), pens, pencils, crochets kitchen sets. Little things makes the home. Everything was on their list except for aprons and towel sets. And I just had too.
Corinne, Its a excellent idea about seeds, I will seed as many flower seeds I can.

debinmtns farmgirl #63
Have a Thankfulness Gratitude Attitude.
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2007 :  2:40:52 PM  Show Profile
Corinne and I have chatted about helping the folks in Washington state who just lost everything with seeds. I am for it and am going to do it. Now, when it is still soggy, is not the time to send them, but can we all pitch in a little? is this something that we'd like to do as a group? Seeds are powerful little messengers of hope, and these folks need all they can get.

Annika
farmgirl sister#13

Edited by - Annika on Dec 11 2007 02:01:57 AM
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2007 :  06:49:58 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Vanessa-
I am thrilled that I get to use the word *might* about moving. When we moved here I wanted to have some space from family, not because I didn't love them, but because I had always been around them. Now, 5 (almost 6!!) years later I am done with being away from family. I want Nora to grow up knowing her aunts, uncles, and all of her cousins.

I have met so many people up here in our stay here. I will always be thankful for living here. It took a couple of years for me to find the people that I needed to meet. But they are my dearest friends now, and I know that my life is better for having them in it.

Last night Doug, my husband, and I had a pretty good long talk about moving. We talked about jobs, school, and how much we could pay to rent. As the time grows closer, we are going to enlist the help of some friends who live in Billings to help us look for a rental and we are going to be looking into the USDA Rural Development program for the area as well.

Annika-

I am going to miss all my friends up in this area terribly. I think Doug and I will have to come visit during the summers so that we can see our friends and go berry picking! :D

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Go to Top of Page

Beach Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

Vanessa
Williamsburg VA
111 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2007 :  2:25:26 PM  Show Profile
Well, Alee, I just "might" have a "might" of my own! I knocked on some doors and one could be opening. My biggest issue is a house to rent. With 3 teenage boys and 3000 books, we need our space. My mom found a house in the Williamsburg paper that could work, so I called the owner and talked with him, telling him about my horrible credit rating and debt (and why). After I told him everything, he told me to call him again so I can go see the house when I'm up there at Christmas. This could be the beginning; I hope so.

It's funny how we want to get away from family sometimes, but it doesn't take very long to feel the ties pulling us back. I want my boys to be near to my mom for the years she has left and at 82, I don't want to waste a minute of it!

It will be refreshing to get back into the real world, but I will miss my friends here something terrible. Although none of them are farmgirls, they are true friends and I love them dearly. Like you, we will return to visit.

I won't miss the apathy and the huge drug/alcohol abuse problem. I don't know if I ever mentioned that, so please forgive me if I have. We have more drugs here per capita than in Miami! I know drugs are everywhere, but when you live out here with so few people, you see it~daily.

Keep me posted; I will do the same. And any of you who are praying farmgirls, please keep us in your prayers for direction. Thanks so much!

Vanessa
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2007 :  2:59:58 PM  Show Profile
Guiding hand prayers coming girls =)
I'm working on an article for the blog about all of the edible sprouts that you can grow to give yourself a green boost. This is so important with winter and cold season upon us. So hopefully I'll get my research done and have a list of yummy seeds to sprout soon for all of you. I know that there is something about sprouts in the Life Idea book of MJ's, but I don't have it so please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Also, I have three ideas for a logo so far, and I'm going to ask for help drawing them since my artistic skills are zilch, once we have a bunch of logos, we can vote

LOL! I cannot WAIT for the hen houses to be ready

Annika
farmgirl sister#13
Go to Top of Page

Beach Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

Vanessa
Williamsburg VA
111 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2007 :  4:15:29 PM  Show Profile
Yes, Annika, the book has several pages in it about sprouts and so does the Egg issue of MJF magazine. I started my garbanzo bean sprouts and can not wait to see a little tail! Next, on the list is almonds. I'll let you know how it goes with both. I used to do sprouts a lot; don't know why I stopped. There are several good web sites that I came across the other day after doing a Google search, typing in "sprouting seeds." If you would like, I can post them here, just let me know.

Vanessa
Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
Smoky Mountains Tennessee
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2007 :  08:59:50 AM  Show Profile
Hey, I have a few questions about the Aerogarden if someone can answer them please.

I've looked a the seed pod packs that can be grown in the Aerogarden. I want to know if you can plant regular veggie seeds in these pods..I want to grow and harvest squash, eggplant, etc while it's still tiny. The nutrients are very high when they are so tiny.

I see the pack of nutrient tablets that can be bought so I'm hoping someone has experimented with this to see how creative you can get with this growing creation.

I did find it a my local Macy's...

Thanks in advance for any info you may have.

Stephanie
Farmgirl Sister #22

"hold close your inner child and always listen to the gentle whispers" ~queenofdreamsz
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2007 :  09:40:45 AM  Show Profile
http://www.gardeners.com/AeroGarden-Master-Gardener-Deluxe-Kit/default/StandardCatalog.AeroGardens_Cat.36-804.cpd

It looks like you can buy this home grow kit, just remember to grow things under 20 inches or so (18" is best)I'm going to buy one if I don't get one for Christmas

Annika
farmgirl sister#13
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2007 :  6:07:36 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Vanessa-

I am so thrilled you might have a *might* of your own! That is wonderful news indeed!

Doug and I are down to debating whether we want to move in June or see if we can extend our lease till the end of July. I want to be moved and settled before August classes start for me. So I think I will just put in a flower garden. That way I won't feel as sad about leaving it behind.

Who am I kidding? I am always going to miss my gardens. I still mourn a garden that I had to leave behind at another apartment. And by the time we move, it will be too late to do much gardening. Here's hoping that we will be moving into our own house and not renting! How awesome would that be!!!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2007 :  11:36:36 PM  Show Profile
Annika, Thanks for that link. I guess I was thinking these Aerogardens were larger. Hopefully I can look at one of them this weekend.

Have a great weekend,
Stephanie
Farmgirl Sister #22

"hold close your inner child and always listen to the gentle whispers" ~queenofdreamsz
Go to Top of Page

debinmtns
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Debi
Hope Idaho
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2007 :  06:24:04 AM  Show Profile
I love the fact you now can start your seeds for the garden kit. thats best of all. And you can have tomatoes and strawberies all winter. Of coarse all your salad greens. When you live up North its a huge blessing.

debinmtns farmgirl #63
Have a Thankfulness Gratitude Attitude.
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2007 :  06:58:42 AM  Show Profile
I want one...or three :P!!!!!
To all my mud hen sisters: Any one that sees a need and wants to help with any part of this, please feel free to step in. Just let me know what you are doing Things will pick up after Christmas and we shall get into gear for spring starts and other projects.

Annika
farmgirl sister#13

Edited by - Annika on Dec 14 2007 07:03:54 AM
Go to Top of Page

Beach Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

Vanessa
Williamsburg VA
111 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2007 :  06:27:48 AM  Show Profile
Well, the garbanzo sprouts are on their way! I started them several days ago and think I'm going to see those little tails pop through any time. Knowing that the sprouting is already going on inside, I popped one in my mouth yesterday and yummo.....a crunchy nutty flavor. I brought some for my salad to eat at work today. Almonds are my next to try!

I have fresh rosemary-garlic oil setting up in my pantry for Christmas presents and I'm knitting a shawl for a new mom (also a Christmas present) to wrap up in as she rocks the little one.

More homemade Christmas gifts I'm working on include refrigerator magnets, hot cocoa mix, and popcorn spices. The magnets are super easy to make and really cool to look at.

I want to share the directions and recipes but don’t know if I should post it here now, have Annika put it on the web site or wait until our hen house is ready; suggestions accepted.

Have a wonderful day Mud Hen Sisters! It’s a blustery one out here today with these NE winds blowing hard and rain in the forecast.

Vanessa
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2007 :  06:57:31 AM  Show Profile
Post them here for now, m'dear, Christmas crafting is too sweet to not share. I have a few of my own and the Henhouses are coming up quick. The sprouts sound yummy and I'm off to our co-op asap to get some sproutables YUM!!
Today we are getting our tree, this being our traditional day and I'm mailing off packages at long last.
Everyone have a great weekend! We are going to have such a fun time in the Henhouse with all of our creative sparks, I can hardly wait.
Cheers! Mud Hen sisters, for all of the fun and joy!

Annika
farmgirl sister#13
Go to Top of Page

Beach Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

Vanessa
Williamsburg VA
111 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2007 :  08:03:39 AM  Show Profile
I'll get on it in just a little while!

Vanessa
Go to Top of Page

Beach Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

Vanessa
Williamsburg VA
111 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2007 :  08:33:02 AM  Show Profile
Actually.....

.....I'll do the magnet directions when I get home and can take some pictures. (I'm at work.)

The popcorn spice recipes are at home, so I'll do those later as well.

Next 2 posts will be the hot cocoa mix and the rosemary oil.

Vanessa
Go to Top of Page

Beach Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

Vanessa
Williamsburg VA
111 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2007 :  08:52:18 AM  Show Profile
Beach Girl's Hot Cocoa Mix

Ingredients:
1 cup cocoa powder
2 cups non-dairy creamer
2 cups dry milk
2 1/2 cups sugar

Sift the cocoa into a gallon sized zip lock bag. Add other ingredients and shake until mixed well.

Fill your mug about half way with the mix, add boiling water and stir. Top with whipped topping (Cool Whip, etc.).

Now as a Christmas gift.....

Put mix in a pretty container and also include a mug (or mugs). Our Dollar Tree has some great holiday/snowflake mugs. Also include candy canes (see below) to stir and some mini marshmallows all wrapped up in those cute holiday cello bags (again, $ store). Don't forget to include the recipe, as it will go quickly!

Candy Canes-melt some chocolate chips in the microwave, dip in the bottom half of candy canes and let cool on wax paper.

This gift is delicious, simple, frugal and fun to put together!
(I'll take pictures once I get them all wrapped up.)

Vanessa
Go to Top of Page

Beach Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

Vanessa
Williamsburg VA
111 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2007 :  09:10:10 AM  Show Profile
ROSEMARY-GARLIC OIL

You will need:
fresh rosemary
garlic cloves
extra virgin olive oil (evoo)
peppercorns (variety-I used red, green, black and white)
empty wine or other pretty bottles

Clean bottles and let dry.

Measure out how much evoo you will need for your bottle and pour into a pan. Gently, on low, heat evoo until it is “blood warm,” meaning about body temp. I usually have it about 100 degrees.

Gather rosemary and wipe it off with a damp paper towel. Do not submerge, it will make the leaves turn brown and ugly in the bottle. Put 2-3 sprigs of fresh rosemary down in the bottle. Be sure not to use any sprigs with woody /twiggy stems; use the soft flexible ones. Add in 2 peppercorns of each color (total of 8). Take a clove of garlic, peel it and score it a couple of times down each side; drop into bottle. Once the oil is warm, pour it into the bottle, cap it and put it in a cool dark place for a week. After a week, put it in the frig and use in cooking chicken, vegetables or anything else you would use a flavored oil in.

For Christmas, make or buy a wine bag to package it in.

I like the Barefoot Chardonnay bottles. I cook with wine all the time and this is a good cheap wine to cook with ($6 here) and then you have a very pretty light green bottle to put oil in.

This is a combination of recipes that I found combined with what my herb books said and my midwife told me (years ago!) about making herb oils.

Vanessa
Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2007 :  10:30:55 PM  Show Profile
The Rosemary-Garlic oil sounds wonderful!

Stephanie
Farmgirl Sister #22

Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2007 :  05:56:58 AM  Show Profile
I found this on line somewhere a while ago and love it! it makes a tasty gift as well. I have played around with different herbs, but the rosemary is really good.

Balsamic And Roasted Garlic Dipping Oil

Serves/Makes: 2 cups Ready In: 1-2 hrs

Ingredients:
25 cloves garlic (unpeeled)
2 tablespoons olive oil, PLUS
1 cup olive oil (preferably extra-virgin)
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
2 1/2 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350#65533;F. Place unpeeled garlic cloves in baking dish. Add 2 tablespoons olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper; toss to coat. Cover dish tightly with foil and bake until garlic is golden brown and tender, about 45 minutes. Cool.

Squeeze garlic between fingertips to release cloves. Transfer garlic cloves to blender. Add vinegar and rosemary and puree herb mixture until smooth. With machine running, gradually add remaining 1 cup olive oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper. (Dipping oil can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Let stand 15 minutes at room temperature and whisk before using.)

Annika
farmgirl sister#13
Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2007 :  4:22:12 PM  Show Profile
I think for the time being I'm going to gleen information and recipes and offer tidbits as I come across them. I have so much to catch up on that I'm burying myself to get involved with a Aerogarden right now. Maybe in Springtime I'll be ready to do one.

Meanwhile, I really enjoy reading all the great stuff you all are posting about and getting to know more farmgirls.

Stephanie
Farmgirl Sister #22

Go to Top of Page

Beach Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

Vanessa
Williamsburg VA
111 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2007 :  03:50:30 AM  Show Profile
From the closet farmgirl poet, LOL.....

T'was the week before Christmas and all through the house,
The projects are waiting as quiet as a mouse.

The magnets are finished and bagged up with care;
While the shawl is not~it will leave shoulders bare.

The popcorn is ready to be popped and topped
With butter and seasonings, this won't be a flop!

The cocoa mix is waiting to be given away
To be a warm drink on a cold winter's day.

The oil has some issues, it doesn't look great.
Oh, what will I do? It's getting quite late!

T'was the week before Christmas; it's got to get done
So family and friends will all share in the fun!

Sorry I haven't checked in this week~it's crunch time! The rosemary oil has some problems;it's cloudy. Now the question is whether I messed it up or if it's cold in my pantry and will clear once it's warm again. Only letting it sit out today will tell. It might be back to the drawing board on that one! The popcorn seasonings, however, are divine and I will post them next, along with the magnet directions (still working on pictures for you). Only a few more days to get it all done.

Next year I really am going back to my Christmas Once a Month (COM) routine. Before I had 3 boys in 4 years, began homeschooling, became a single mom, etc. I used to devote the 24th or 25th of every month to do, make, work on, etc. something for Christmas. Cards were addressed in Oct. and ready to go after Thanksgiving. December was left to bake and enjoy. So, I am publicly stating that 2008 will be the year of the return of COM! Anyone care to join me for a cyber Christmas get together each month? I bet there are plenty of merit badge things we can do together through our hen house that will make homemade Christmas a snap! I have some ideas, so let me know if you're up to the challenge!

On that note, I need another cup of coffee and hit the road. I think I'm going up to Wal-Mart today which means an hour and 15 minutes drive to get there, battling the Christmas crowds and then the hour and 15 minute drive back~UGH!

I'm going to be looking at some houses next week when I'm in VA. Lord willing, I will be doing some packing in January!

Have a great one,
Vanessa
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Farmgirl Chapter Chatter: Previous Topic Inner Mountain Mud Hens Cyber chapter! :Updates Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page