Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Chapters
 Farmgirl Chapter Chatter
 Inner Mountain Mud Hens Cyber chapter! :Updates
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Farmgirl Chapter Chatter: Previous Topic Inner Mountain Mud Hens Cyber chapter! :Updates Next Topic
Page: of 6

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2007 :  07:47:52 AM  Show Profile
I am having email problems as well and will need it resent..I am sorry. I keep getting all of the spam and not the messages :/ it is frustrating.
I am a bit familiar with Southern France and it's places, where are you from? It is a pretty land.

For the information that I requested, just a bit about you, your likes, maybe if you wish, when your birthday is so that we can all wish each other a happy one. Just so that we can know each other a bit and there is no time pressure on this, as I am sure that in due course, we will get to know each other quite well. This is all for fun and relaxation. Life has enough high pressure moments, gardening and living well is for pleasure, or should be =)

Have a great day Corinne. I need to find out how many hours you are ahead of me so that I can find your growing zone and know what time of day I am talking to you LOL! The world is a wonderful place.

Wishing you joy in small things and peace in your heart
Annika
http://innermountainmudhens.wordpress.com/
http://panzymoon.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Corinnelouise
True Blue Farmgirl

957 Posts

Corinne
France
957 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2007 :  08:02:19 AM  Show Profile
Annika, I am 11 hours ahead of you and my zone is DESERT... it goes up to 145 F during the long summer, and now that it is winter and 65 F, we feel it is cold, really cold.
We are leaving tomorrow for holiday, first in Quebec, then in the Pre-Alps, about 1.30 hour north east of Marseille, close to the Verdon area. Where have you been in France ?
Corinne
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2007 :  08:31:38 AM  Show Profile
Corinne, I have not been since I was a girl. But I have been all over the Bordeaux area and then in the Toulouse area and I *Think* in Nimes.I will have to ask my father. I would love to learn the language better and travel around to all of the tiny hidden places and look at plants and buy books and have a good relaxing time :P I am such a nerd. I lived in Europe when I was very little and have distant family all over the place. I speak about 20 words in a dozen or so languages but none very well these days. I read French some what better though I am too shy to try and speak it. When I was little , I didn't really appreciate all of the travel. I wanted to stay someplace and have little friends. Of course, now I want to travel :P and live in new places at times. We lived in Wurzburg and in Dublin and in various places in England. I am now going to stay in one place for a while. But I get the wanderlust badly at times.

I wish you both a happy holiday time and safe travels. If you are not back before then, have a Happy Christmas!

Annika

Edited by - Annika on Dec 06 2007 08:44:00 AM
Go to Top of Page

debinmtns
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Debi
Hope Idaho
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2007 :  08:55:37 AM  Show Profile
Wow Annika, I just looked at your farm. Is the gate anywhere around your garden? All those crystals forming, definately needs a wind block if its is. This has been a weird weather for up here. We had 2 1/2 feet of snow and the rain wash it all away, then we had a thunder storm with lots of lightening. Now we are suppose to have more snow. Man, I am glad I did all my fall work. But I fear all the Roses are going to die with this weather causes all kinds of fungus and disease. I did all the necessaries, I hope its enough.

debinmtns farmgirl #63
Have a Thankfulness Gratitude Attitude.
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2007 :  09:20:10 AM  Show Profile
Debi, yes, this has been my problem in the new place that I've bought. No wind protection. So this year, I'm starting a hedgerow and will try to use some form of temporary wind blocks until it has grown in a bit. My new trees will be in tree tubes, but it is SO windy out here it parches everything to dust. And then there are the snow drifts...

Thunder storms???? yipes! I'd believe it. Weird weather to be sure. This year has been the strangest yet

Annika
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2007 :  10:19:52 AM  Show Profile
Welcome our newest Mud Hen Vanessa!

She and I have a project in mind. If we can all find strawberry jars, perhaps we could start an indoor garlic and herb garden. I know that I have grown many things in the pots and that they do well for herbs as well, or so was my luck. we can all share recipes. I have never tried sprouting garlic inside, but it may be worth a shot, what say the rest of you? any experience? Perhaps a collection of Mud Hen recipes from our experiments eventually.

Charities may include sending seeds to poor or trouble stricken areas, may include gardens for the poor, or gleaning food and giving some to the needy...just food for thought =)

And Sprouts! We all need fresh goods. Especially this time of year. Learn to sprout sprouts, there are many seeds that make yummy sprouts.

Annika
Go to Top of Page

Corinnelouise
True Blue Farmgirl

957 Posts

Corinne
France
957 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2007 :  10:26:07 AM  Show Profile
Annika, have you read Jen's post about the flooding ? We could gather seeds and send them to the farmers who lost everything. When spring comes they would have something to start with ?
I am thinking of high yielding staple vegetables, tomatoes, pumpking...
Also if you find out about the animals you mentioned at the farm where you are, I am willing to help with the buying, let me know.
Corinne

Edited by - Corinnelouise on Dec 07 2007 10:29:52 AM
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2007 :  10:33:58 AM  Show Profile
Anything would help. Let us consult the list and see what would be appropriate for them, and then contact seeds of change and local seed growers and see what we can arrange. What do you think? We can all make an order from tiny Seeds and there is only one shipping cost. But we need to ask what grows well there . I want to help, such a terrible thing to happen, so much loss. We can all do what we can to help.

Thank you Corinne, you are much appreciated

Annika
Go to Top of Page

Corinnelouise
True Blue Farmgirl

957 Posts

Corinne
France
957 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2007 :  10:40:06 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Annika. An order from Tiny Seeds sounds really neat. I am travelling this very night, we are heading to Canada, so it will be easier for me to do things from there, what ever we decide.
Corinne
Go to Top of Page

debinmtns
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Debi
Hope Idaho
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2007 :  2:59:09 PM  Show Profile
Well, Gals I dug out one of aero Gardens. I think I am going to do my own thing. (Master Gardener Deluxe.) I will make my choice tonight and plant tomorrow. Decisions...decisions....

debinmtns farmgirl #63
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2007 :  3:21:21 PM  Show Profile
oooo! let us know how it goes and what you've planted. I'm asking for one for Christmas

Annika
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2007 :  9:10:14 PM  Show Profile
I really like the idea 0f the Aer0 Gardens, might have t0 wait f0r a c0uple Christmases....I am patient!!!!
And I agree this sure has been weird weather.
Haven't th0ught ab0ut seeds yet, did bring my gerianums in this year t0 see if I c0uld winter them 0ver, they l00k rather sad at the m0ment. Will keep babying them....
later,
Car0l Sue

listening to the quiet moments
www.Quitemoments.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Beach Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

Vanessa
Williamsburg VA
111 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2007 :  9:34:36 PM  Show Profile
Hello Mud Hen Sisters!

After a long day at work and then a night out for some theatre (of course, we had to travel an hour to get there!), I'm here to say hello and to tell you how glad I am to be a part of this group.

I am garden challenged. I live on a sandbar (NO dirt out here!) 30 miles out to sea in a very harsh environment. So...pots, indoor gardening and sprouts are the place for me to start. I plan to get some sprouts up and going over the weekend and can't wait to harvest those!

I look forward to getting to know you all better and am so glad to be a Mud Hen.

Vanessa
Go to Top of Page

debinmtns
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Debi
Hope Idaho
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2007 :  07:08:08 AM  Show Profile
Carol Sue, I get the Areo Gardens for my b-day every year. And they keep adding neat stuff every year.

Everyone- the decicions were made: you have 7 places, I am growing 2 different tomatoes in 4 of the pots, varitey of bell pepers in 2 pots and catnip for my cat,in the last one.

I will start another in late january or so. I do like the salad greens,, the salsa one, & french. I want to try baby greens, salad chef pack. But today i did my own thing with master garden deluxe.

debinmtns farmgirl #63
Go to Top of Page

debinmtns
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Debi
Hope Idaho
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2007 :  11:27:41 AM  Show Profile
I got a sale in the mail From AEROGARDENS, fantistids deal.
3 of the gardens, a shelf unit that holds all 3 gardens units, 3 seed kits, the herb appeal Collection kit, and 3 bulb set. all for $ 449.95 Its a wonderful deal.
Happy Hunting Everyone!

debinmtns farmgirl #63
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2007 :  10:58:15 PM  Show Profile
0h that s0unds w0nderful Debi. Makes my m0uth water thinking ab0ut th0se t0mat0es .......ahhhhhhhh
Hey gals have y0u ever read the Ann Ripley mysteries. They are garden mysteries and give y0u garden tips besides. Guess wh0 just turned in the b00ks and f0rg0t t0 write the tips d0wn, yep that w0uld be me.
That is 0k, I can check them 0ut again....l0l
Car0l Sue

Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2007 :  01:27:27 AM  Show Profile
Debi, that sounds like we are all going to have to pay a visit to sample those tomatoes and from the prices I've seem, that does sound like a wonderful deal. WOW!

http://www.officialaerogarden.com/
See they are cool!

Carol Sue, I've seen those mysteries. I'll have to go pick one or so up for the late night reads =) I adore mystery novels.

Annika

Edited by - Annika on Dec 09 2007 02:27:54 AM
Go to Top of Page

Beach Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

Vanessa
Williamsburg VA
111 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2007 :  06:01:33 AM  Show Profile

The Ann Ripley books sound intriguing and would be a nice change of pace for reading. I went to our library's web site to search the catalog and found that we have one (yes, only one!) of her books, the Christmas one. It's available so I'll go down and get it next week. I'll also ask if I can have others sent to this branch, but I'm not holding my breath. Our branch is at the end of the line of this 50 mile long island and I don't see one of the other branches driving a copy down here. All of the other branches are at least 1 hour and 15-20 minutes away, not to mention that things are just a little backwards out here sometimes (you wouldn't believe it unless you lived here). Many times, I screw up my face in disbelief at some things and just say "OK...whatever!" Anyway, thanks for mentioning the books, Carol Sue, I'm looking forward to reading the one available.

Vanessa
Go to Top of Page

debinmtns
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Debi
Hope Idaho
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2007 :  06:56:49 AM  Show Profile
Annika-Your more than welcome to come sample. I planted 2 miniature kinds, one from a local store packet and one I had ordered them only get 8 inches tall. Want to try the to see how they do. But we all can keep anything miniature.

Carol Sue- I love mysteries dealing with animals, knitting, and gardening. I will go to libraries next time I am in town. Thanks.

debinmtns farmgirl #63
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2007 :  08:14:44 AM  Show Profile
Vanessa, you might just go get the books on Amazon or something, probably cheaper than driving to the next library with gas prices

It seems like some of us are mystery lovers here If we all lived closer, wouldn't it be fun to host a live mystery? Those can be such fun. Maybe we've discovered a possible fund raiser for charities. Have any of you ever been to one? My bf's mom has held them and they are a hoot.

Did any of that make sense? I'm still groggy from staying up until 3am

Annika
Go to Top of Page

Beach Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

Vanessa
Williamsburg VA
111 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2007 :  10:17:43 AM  Show Profile
Believe me, Annika, Amazon is my best friend! We also have a small book store on the island and she may have some in her used section. One way or another, I'll get them without driving over 2 hours round trip. We call that going "up the beach" and knock out Wal Mart and K Mart (and anything else civilized) while we are there for the day, for that is what it is~a day trip!

A murder mystery.....that would be so fun!

Vanessa
Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
Smoky Mountains Tennessee
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2007 :  11:55:29 AM  Show Profile
Hey Vanessa, Nice to meet you I'd love to see pictures of where you live.

I'm in an apartment for the time being so gotta go buy the Aerogarden. I have no idea what all I can plant but I bet they offer just about anything. I really would like to grow the minature squash, grape tomoatoes, mini eggplants...

Talk to you again soon,
Stephanie
Farmgirl Sister #22

"hold close your inner child and always listen to the gentle whispers" ~queenofdreamsz
Go to Top of Page

Beach Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

Vanessa
Williamsburg VA
111 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2007 :  3:30:45 PM  Show Profile
Hi Stephanie~it's nice to meet you too!

Pictures of where I live can be found at: http://beachgirlspics.blogspot.com/ I have not updated in quite some time, but there is enough there for you to get the idea.

If you vacation here, it's much nicer than when you live here. I was on the tourist side of the fence for 10 years and then moved here a year and a half ago. I loved being here and each time I came wanted to live here, where life runs at a slower pace and people live on "island time." For about the first year I was here, I was happy but then realized that "island time" is really apathy. I hate living here and my church is the only thing keeping me sane. Keeping that in mind, I am now waiting on the Lord to (hopefully soon!) direct me back to Williamsburg, VA. My mom and sister are there and we lived there years ago (moved here from Richmond, VA). I love Williamsburg and all it has to offer. The island lacks. It lacks motivation, commitment, opportunities, culture, interest, support, and jobs. We roll up the sidewalks at Thanksgiving; they'll be unrolled mid-April. "Real" stores are over an hour away ("real" being Wal Mart and K Mart, nothing more). It is desolate and lonely out here and although I know the Lord brought me here (and I know why), I hope He will send me back to VA...soon.

The environment out here is harsh: sand, wind (lots of wind!) and salt air; not very conducive to a nice garden. I cannot afford an AeroGarden, so I will have to look into various types of containers, window sills, the front porch (where I can take plants in and out depending on the weather), sprouts, etc. Hey, at least it's something.

I'm looking forward to being a part of this group, learning, growing, sharing and making new friends!

Vanessa
Farmgirl Sister #70
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2007 :  6:41:33 PM  Show Profile
W0w, Vanessa, that d0es s0und like a bit 0f a challenge. Glad y0u have a supp0rt system with y0ur church. I am sure it is much needed.
I d0n't kn0w if I w0uld d0 s0 well, me and the library have regular dates....l0l......
I have never d0ne a mystery dinner? That w0uld be fun and funny. I kn0w me, I w0uld guess it all wr0ng. Like playing clue!!!!!!!

Go to Top of Page

Corinnelouise
True Blue Farmgirl

957 Posts

Corinne
France
957 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2007 :  02:33:36 AM  Show Profile
Annika, I emailed Lizzie about collecting and sending seeds to the flooded people in Wa and here is her answer:
"The seeds... This is such a great idea! so small, yet making such
fruitfulness in a tiny package. And lightweight to mail! I love
it! I will gather some info about this and get back to you. I will
check with a few of the CSA farms and see what they would request".
I will wait for her email and then will post here what we can gather and send to them, like you suggested, an order from Tiny Seeds is in our range.
Vanessa, I am facing the same situation as yours, living in Kuwait, everything is in-door 3/4 of the year, in front of the windows but inside, and it is fun.
Good luck with your planting ladies.
Corinne
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Farmgirl Chapter Chatter: Previous Topic Inner Mountain Mud Hens Cyber chapter! :Updates Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page