Love-in-a-Mist
True Blue Farmgirl

367 Posts

Shannon
Independence Oregon
USA
367 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2007 :  09:43:56 AM  Show Profile
Henrietta laid her first egg today, on our drive way. It broke and the dogs had a good breakfast. Hopefully, she starts laying them in a "nest".
We bought 5 turkeys early last spring and saved a tom and hen, for "breeding stock". Every year we buy a bunch and decided to try and raise them naturally this year. I was beginning to think we picked the wrong hen to save. We have the standard bronze, which supposedly will still breed naturally. I was getting worried when she hadn't started laying yet. Last year we had some turkey hens that were great egg setters and started laying earlier then this one. But we had already butchered the toms, on account of their attitude. So far this tom is still allowed to free range. I hope Henrietta can figure it out by this spring. I am so looking forward to watching baby turkeys follow their mother around.

http://diaryofafarmerswife.blogspot.com/

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2007 :  09:50:04 AM  Show Profile
Arn't turkey eggs beautiful?? I have had a couple of pet turkeys over the years but only once a female..her name was Wanda and she was very mean! I loved her eggs though..very very pretty (they are speckled for those who havn't seen them) and as big as two hen's eggs once she got going. You may have to set a hen on her eggs though..alot of turkeys arn't good mothers..just good layers. Have fun!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Our first turkey egg! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page