Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 Starting a horse rescue...Tracey??
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Starting a horse rescue...Tracey?? Next Topic  

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2007 :  6:37:24 PM  Show Profile
I was going to send a pm but then thought maybe others might be interested in this subject.

I've never done a real rescue by government/tax definitions. I just bought neglected/thin/starving/etc horses, fixed them up, resold them and wrote it all off at the end of the year.

Ok, well, my daughter is putting in the boarding/training barn but I told her, with the price of horses right now, she might do better doing a rescue. I found a book to get us started (from Barnes and Noble) and there's a specific book from Equestrian books that we have to order.

So where can I find info on doing this correctly?? How did you figger it out??

Winona

Don't sweat the small stuff...

UrbanChick
True Blue Farmgirl

331 Posts

Ayako
Atlanta GA
USA
331 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2007 :  3:42:58 PM  Show Profile
Here is a link that I found with various other links to them. You can try to contact a rescue in your area about how they went about rehabing and rescueing horses.
http://horses-etc.com/Rescue_DirectoryA.shtml

There maybe a niche that you could do as well like rescue of minis or drafts or even a breed type. There are questions on how many can you handle and with what type of injuries,diseases,issues? I think if you pick the brains of those in the rescue industry even in other states they can give you guidelines on how to do it.

"Courage dosen't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying: I will try again tomorrow."
Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2007 :  05:35:31 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the info. I will click on your link when I get a bit more time on the net. Your mentioning niche got me to thinking and I'm partial to Appy saddle horses but that might be too narrow. Years ago, I 'specialized' (meaning: I didn't think about specialization, just wanted nice, solid saddle horses out there...) but without really thinking about it.

My daughter has 4 stalls available plus round pen, arena and some pasture.

Winona ;-)

Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2007 :  7:47:43 PM  Show Profile
Welp, my daughter and I pro-and-conned the idea and decided IF we do any sort of buying and selling, it will be as a biz, instead of trying to do a rescue. Just too much to the rescue idea and I'm confident of my horse biz knowledge and abilities but would be in the deep end of the pool trying to keep a rescue started and going. I don't want to get into any sort of legal mumbo-jumbo about taxes or exemptions or anything so we decided we better stick with what we know.

Thanks for the info anyway!!

Winona ;-)

Go to Top of Page

Tracey
True Blue Farmgirl

766 Posts

Tracey
State of Confusion
USA
766 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2007 :  08:44:57 AM  Show Profile
Winona, sorry it took me so long to respond! We were out of town last weekend and this is the first I've popped back in.

I know you've decided to run it as a biz, but figured I'd post the few things I came across just the same.

First thing I did was post on several forums to see what people would consider a rescue; that word leaves a nasty taste in some folks' mouths and there are a few very shady ones out there. I wanted to be sure I had public support. Rehabilitation seems to be the key. Making rehab your primary focus would seem key.

After that, doing checks on the new home both before and after the placement to be sure things are running smoothly. Some rescues refuse to ever give up co-ownership, which some people find irritating. I'd be one of those people. I plan to ask for 6-12 months and follow the BLM pattern of compliance checks, but once your probation time is up, the horse is your's free and clear.

Finances are a big issue as well; people want to know what money is coming in and how you spend it. I've posted on my mustang forum the money that's come in and who it's helped. I'm not real good at that end of things, I must admit, but by next year I'm going to have to get really nit picky with myself over it

As for non-profit, you can do an agricultural non-profit through your state, or do the federal non-profit which defeats the purpose when you're starting out because you need to spend so blasted much money to get it, lol! $500 in fees could be better served in feeding horses, IMO. Some folks won't bother to donate if they can't get the deduction, but I figure that's just the way it needs to be, at least for now.

Check out the new designs at my Cafe Press Store!
http://cafepress.com/mustangfever

http://carpentercreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2007 :  4:09:21 PM  Show Profile
Hey thanks for posting...you've given me something to think about. Yep, the word 'rescue' does leave a bad taste. On another board a lady posted her contract for sending out a rescue and it's totally...'incredible' is the only word I can think of. She has to have an hour (she did change it to 24 hour) to notify you that she was coming out to check up on the horse AND if she noticed your other animals weren't to her satisfaction, she would notify 'authorities' for investigation plus take the horse back, which had a 'rehoming' fee of $1200, which she won't return except for some plausible reasons.

So several of us wondered why anyone would rehome a rescue when they could just go out and buy a nice horse for the same amount and not have anyone looking over their shoulders.

The word 'rehab' does sound better. My daughter already has her first gelding. He's foundered with rocker shoes on the front. He's a TB or TB cross and gentle as all get out. So he's going to be her project for the time being.

Thanks for the info!!

Winona :-)

Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Starting a horse rescue...Tracey?? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page