Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Oh my aching back! Next Topic  

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2005 :  4:53:16 PM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
Hey girls -
Well I knew my back was going downhill but I just kept pushing it, and last week it knocked me flat! The pain is finally better and I can stand for 10 minutes now (no longer yet) and can't sit at all.

I'm having a hard time coaxing the muscles that went into spasm to relax. I was going to the chiro 2x/day last week, now only 3 days a week (but still twice in the same day). I finally felt well enough to make it to the massage therapist and he really worked at it and I do feel better, but nothing is happening fast enough for me!

Anybody know an herb that will help muscles relax? I'm sure that's what's keeping the spine from straightening back out (the X-rays were super pretty, between hereditary problems and big bad things I did over the years).

The sooner I can get moving again the better. My hubby means well but I think he forgot to add soap to the laundry as it all stinks. He's not used to handling my chores and of course, we're still remodeling and this has slowed progress terribly.

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2005 :  09:51:44 AM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
No, I haven't tried aromatherapy, at least not for my back! What scents would help = something soothing like lavender? I also find basil very soothing, and I have plenty of it growing out back!
Go to Top of Page

Nana Naomi
Farmgirl in Training

41 Posts

Mary
Tyler, Texas TX
USA
41 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2005 :  2:41:32 PM  Show Profile
Howdy!
You might try the old fashioned epson salts bath. I find that it helps a lot. The oil that i've had success with is rosemary.
Good luck. ( If nothing else, the heat of the bath weater helps!)
Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2005 :  3:28:40 PM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
Heat definitely helps. I'm crippled without the heating pad!
Will try the epsom salts & rosemary. Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Nana Naomi
Farmgirl in Training

41 Posts

Mary
Tyler, Texas TX
USA
41 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2005 :  08:09:25 AM  Show Profile
Howdy again!
Forgot to mention that baking soda thrown in seems to help also! I have to be careful with the heating pad because I tend to fall asleep! Try one of those that will turn off automatically or an herbal pad that you heat in the microwave, they're safer!
Go to Top of Page

BillieKay
Farmgirl in Training

26 Posts

BillieKay
Centennial Wyoming
USA
26 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2005 :  3:37:39 PM  Show Profile
A good herbal muscle relaxant is Elephant Head (Pedicularis groenlandica) There is a great herb shop that I get all my herbies from called Elk Mountain Herbs in Laramie Wyoming. These 2 ladies are fantastic!! They either grow or wildcraft(ethically)most of the herbs they use. When they can't do this they buy from a reputable source. I don't know if you have elephant head near you or not. If not drop me a line and I'll give you Elk Mtns. number.
Good luck,
BillieKay
Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2005 :  6:51:53 PM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
Thank you BillieKay! I'll ask at our herb shop in town and if they don't have it, then I may definitely ask you for the number!
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2005 :  7:09:50 PM  Show Profile
I was walking outside in a driving rain leaving a store and my slick shoes went out from under me. I fell forward catching most of my weight on my right knee. OUCH, scraped it and bloodied it. Strangely it is the back of my neck that is painful now, besides the bandaged knee. I bet I was a sight of poetry in motion...

Being is what it is. Jean Paul Sartre
Go to Top of Page

FarrarFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lynda
Frohna Missouri
USA
330 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2005 :  7:21:37 PM  Show Profile
I hope you are okay and nothing more than a scrapped up knee and stiff neck came out of it. It sounds like some of the suggestions for Lynn's back might be of help to you, Meadowlark. Hopefully someone came over to help you, too. Sounds like when you hit the pavement with your knee it gave you a good jarring, kind of like whiplash. A good hot soak in the tub should be on order for you tonight. Get some rest and hopefully it will feel much better tomorrow. I'll pray for quick healing.

In His hands,
Lynda

Pray in faith and you will not live in doubt.
Go to Top of Page

hapyhrt
True Blue Farmgirl

129 Posts

USA
129 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2005 :  02:05:44 AM  Show Profile
Owww! Meadowlark hope you are okay from that fall? The pain in the back of your neck is what got my attention, yikes! Hopefully just a result of being jarred and nothing knocked out of alignment. Take good care of you and feel better soon, ok!

ps. I had shoes that were impossible to walk on wet pavement with, finally after a good hard tumble I threw the darn things out! Worse part of the fall was trying to get back up when those darn shoes had no gripping power and I couldn't get my legs under me to stand fast enough. This happened years ago outside a Burger King at noontime and I was so humiliated, guess no one noticed though as no one stopped to ask if I were okay, lucky only my ego was bruised! Ü

"Think HAPPY Thoughts...any others aren't worth your time!" Ü
Go to Top of Page

Nana Naomi
Farmgirl in Training

41 Posts

Mary
Tyler, Texas TX
USA
41 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2005 :  08:50:19 AM  Show Profile
Howdy!
I just read an article about slippery shoes. It reccommended sanding the bottoms of each new pair of shoes as soon as you get them home.
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Oh my aching back! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page