emma.birdwhistle
True Blue Farmgirl

187 Posts

Elizabeth Ann
Ontario
Canada
187 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2007 :  5:05:58 PM  Show Profile
I have a request for any goat-keeping farmgirls on the forum. I'm presently writing a novel for National Novel Writing Month (www.nanowrimo.org), and one of my characters is about to show another character how to milk a goat - the problem being that I have never milked a goat in my life. Would anyone be willing to give a description of the goat-milking process from beginning to end, just so my character doesn't miss anything?
Thank you!

- Elizabeth Ann (who does want to get her own goats someday)

If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours. - Thoreau

http://resolutelyoutmoded.etsy.com
http://myspace.com/elizabethannbarlow

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2007 :  6:36:03 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
When I milk goats this is the routine I follow:

I get out three stainless steel buckets, one is filled with a warm water and a squirt of Iodine. I put in 2 paper towels per goat and take them to the goat milking barn. I put about 2lbs of goat feed (grain) into the feeding trough of the milking stand.

I then go get the first goat who is always waiting at the gate. I take her to the stand and she already knows to jump up and stick her head through the stanchion. I then take one of the paper towels and wipe the udder down with the warm water going from top to bottom. I throw that paper towel away and get the second. I wipe the udder down again to make sure it is clean.

I "waste" the first few draws on the udder since this helps clear any dirt that might have been lodged in the milk ducts.

To milk you encircle the top of the teat with your forfinger and thumb and tighten then you create a fist one finger at a time which forces the milk out in a stream. The trick is to not loosen your grip of your forefinger and thumb until your last finger is tightened down. If you losen your thumb and forefinger, the milk will mostly just gush back up into the bag of the udder instead of squirting into the waiting bucket.

After the first goat is done being milked, I dump the milk from the milking bucket into the third bucket (that way if a goat kicks, you don't lose all your milk)

Before you let the goat go, spray something called "Bac-Stop" or wipe again with the iodine solution to help prevent mastitis.

Then I repeat for as many goats as are lactating.

After I am done milking I take it up to the house and run it through a paper filter (kind of like a really big coffee filter), and then we pour it into glass milk bottles, cool it down below 40 degrees as fast as possible by putting the glass bottles into a sink of cold water with ice.

If your goat has long hair you should shave the belly and udders ever couple of weeks or at least clip the area. This helps keep minute particles of debris from contaminating the milk as well as preventing that "goaty" taste.

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2007 :  6:59:12 PM  Show Profile
WOW! Alee, you beat me too it. I end up doing a lot of milking. My landlady has anywhere from 25 to 70 lactating goats in kidding season...some years all I do is milk, midwife and muck :P (Though most goats are pretty good at doing their own baby droppin')

Wishing you joy in small things and peace in your heart

Annika

http://panzymoon.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2007 :  9:02:11 PM  Show Profile
The only things I would add is that I always brush or curry my dairy animals before washing the udder...just to loosen any hair or dirt or hay or whatever that is going to fall in the milk. The belly area and all over. They like it too, and it becomes part of the routine. For my cow I use a rubber curry comb, but for my goats I always used a big soft brush. It really helps keep crud out of the milk.
I always add a little calf manna to the grain (rolled corn and barley) and if my hay isn't great I add some alfalfa pellets too.
I use old white washcloths to wash udders. They don't get used for anything else and get washed in hot water and regular laundry soap and hung in the sun to dry..I have lots. I always dry off the udder after washing and squirt those first few squirts over either a paper towel or a strip cup strainer thing to make sure there are no lumps or anything.
When I am done I make sure to strip out the very last of the milk by hand..real important..and I use a teat dip.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

emma.birdwhistle
True Blue Farmgirl

187 Posts

Elizabeth Ann
Ontario
Canada
187 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2007 :  1:31:42 PM  Show Profile
Thanks so much. That's wonderfully helpful!
Back I go to the writing...

- Elizabeth Ann

We should all do what, in the long run, gives us joy, even if it is only picking grapes or sorting the laundry.
E. B. White

http://resolutelyoutmoded.etsy.com
http://myspace.com/elizabethannbarlow
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2007 :  2:37:58 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Let us know how it turns out! :D

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Goat milking question(s) Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page