Page: of 2

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2005 :  09:46:48 AM  Show Profile
Since most of the ladies here are pretty simple as far as cosmetics go, just wondering how many here have long hair? Mine is at bra strap length and I'm trying to get to at least my tailbone. I find that having long hair is much easier and maintence free than short hair. I wear it in a bun almost everyday and it's so easy. Now if I could just find a really good natural and gentle shampoo and conditioner I like (I think that is a never ending search though )

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2005 :  09:55:35 AM  Show Profile
Mine is the same length as yours.

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2005 :  10:09:37 AM  Show Profile
I had waist length hair all through my jr and sr. high school days. It would take atleast until after lunch to air dry and was constantly getting tangled and caught or pulled my someone or something. I don't think that it helps that it is and was a coppery red/bond. My the middle of my sr. year enough was enough and I took the sewing scissors and cut it off to just below my shoulders. It has been alittle longer or shorter with and w/o bangs but I have never looked back. It was an act of freedom to have cut it,and I didn't know that I had been imprisoned by my hair until I was freed of it!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2005 :  10:28:17 AM  Show Profile
I'm kinda with you Bramble... coppery red, wavy, and very thick hair, which I tried for years to grow to all one length. The times that I've had it that way, I got a whole lot more headaches... it takes alot of neck muscle strength to support a heavy head of hair!! (by the way, it has naturally toned itself down to a nice auburn color, which I've found is much less dull now that I'm eating mainly a vegetarian meal plan... it's shiny and vibrant again!)

These days I keep it layered, and shoulder length with some bangs. I do however, love to french braid my hair and am contemplating letting it grow out just a bit to be able to do that again... We shall see if this comes to pass, or if I wack it off again!

I trim my own hair now after too many disappointing experiences paying $15+ plus to supposedly experienced people. I know the lay of my hair and what works and what doesn't and have been much happier with it overall since I've released myself from the salon experiences!

**** Love is the great work - though every heart is first an apprentice. - Hafiz
Set a high value on spontaneous kindness. - Samuel Johnson****

Edited by - Clare on Aug 08 2005 10:29:18 AM
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2005 :  10:38:44 AM  Show Profile
I wear my hair short -- in fact, the shorter the better. I keep saying that I want to grow it out a little but can't stand fussing with it. I want to fix my hair in the AM and then not have to mess with it anymore the rest of the day.

Kay - Living in Beautiful Washington State

"If you are lucky enough to have a garden, you are lucky enough!"
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2005 :  10:46:41 AM  Show Profile
When I married my hair was waist length, blonde and fine and thick. I loved wearing it in braids then, especially in summer. I worked in a children's home and some of the girls there would love to french braid my hair, they even put it in corn rows which I loved! After wearing corn rows for a week my hair would be kinky and wavy and wild. DH loved that but I always felt a little like Elsa Lancaster in the Bride of Frankenstein! have gone through cycles of shorter hair, bobs, perms, layers. My hair is a length I can trim myself now, just below shoulders, light layers.

The flowers flee from Autumn, but not you-
You are the fearless rose that grows amidst the freezing wind. Rumi
Go to Top of Page

Nicol
True Blue Farmgirl

200 Posts

Nicol

200 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2005 :  11:48:48 AM  Show Profile
Clare: I too have coppery red wavy thick hair. I find the older I get the shorter with more layers. If I don't layer it then it feels like a helmet and is very hot and uncomfortable. The hair stylist does a lot of thinning when she cuts my hair.
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2005 :  12:08:20 PM  Show Profile
Nichol, I can totally relate! Lots of thinning shear usage (I even own a pair) and absoultely can't do hats! They just go ( ) and are resting on the top of my head in no time. It's all quite silly, for I would love to wear hats!

**** Love is the great work - though every heart is first an apprentice. - Hafiz
Set a high value on spontaneous kindness. - Samuel Johnson****
Go to Top of Page

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2005 :  12:10:30 PM  Show Profile
Clare I too trim my own hair. I can't trust stylists for anything, they always want to cut too much off or layer it or cut bangs or something. It costs too much for me not to be happy leaving there.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2005 :  12:16:45 PM  Show Profile
Mine is about bra strap length...and very thick..wavy and really dark brown. I look best with long hair, and am always so sorry when I cut it (usually myself and usually in the winter when I guess I get bored and need a change. I managed to leave it alone and grow out some ugly layers this past winter so now it is all one length except for bangs. I wear it in a pony tail or bun in the hot part of summer, but like it best with just the sides loosely pulled to the back in a barrette. Way too hot for that right now. I have a hard time keeping my hair looking nice when it is short...THAT is too much work with my hair. I guess it depends on your hair type and situation...right? I want to get it back to waist length again..like it was about 3 years ago. I wear it in a braid alot then.
When I was a teenager I wanted the stick straight hair that all my friends had, and hated the wavy hair I have. Now I am fine with it..it really is more versatile I guess. My oldest daughter has coarse and straight as a board hair..really pretty..but impossible to curl!!!

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2005 :  12:17:20 PM  Show Profile
When I was young my blonde hair was below my bra, when I wore one...:), but above my waist. It is very straight and fine. Now it is about jawline in length, with bangs and parted on one side. I have always wished I could cut it really short but my hair does not hug my head. It flys free, and long and straight is the best for fly-free hair. When a person with fly-free hair cuts it short, it just sticks out!

I always cut my own hair. No one else can have the vision of how it should look, or realizes how it grows and curls. If I let it dry all by itself, it gets wavy. Sometimes I do that when I am at the beach and just don't care!

I have often thought that if I lived alone out in the woods, I would not do a thing but wash it and let it dry in the air.

jpbluesky
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2005 :  12:29:23 PM  Show Profile
I would love to have thick wavy curly hair...seems romantic and feminine! My hair would always fly away and stand straight out when I tried to make it wavy and add body by braiding like it was full of static electricity...thus the "bride of frankenstein"

Go to Top of Page

little feather
True Blue Farmgirl

83 Posts

Tawnya
Walnut Creek California
USA
83 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2005 :  12:51:54 PM  Show Profile  Send little feather a Yahoo! Message
Okay, I'll pipe in here.
I've got a great "hair" story. I use to always do my own hair- cut and color. I've ruined it and had to cut it off, SHORT, twice. It wasn't until the last time, and turing 30- a couple of years ago. That I decided one) let someone who knows what they are doing cut it, and two) no more color.
Right now its a light brown/dirty blond, a little below shoulder lenght (FINALLY) and omigoodness the white hair I have! I have a solid streak right down the front side that is split in half by my "cowlick". It's all layered, because that is the only way I can get any body into it.
I think about coloring it again, I'm just not ready to have white hair. Are we ever ready? But, keeping that maintained is a paid in the hiney! My Husband, who is now more salt than pepper- he says that he loves it and thinks that it's sexy. I say he likes it because it makes him feel better about the fact that I am 13 years younger.
I figure, that God gave me all these little white hairs as badges of honor!
I've been through a lot and have earned each and every one of them!
The solid streak up front came in real think this winder when I was struck with Bells Palsy on my right side.
So- it's my "scar"!

Where ever you go, go with all your heart!
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2005 :  1:02:33 PM  Show Profile
Hey Tawnya, If you like your hair then go for it! I have seen beautiful women with white hair and streaks, they just seemed to glow...It is the inner beauty we strive for, and being proud and content with oneself is inner beauty. It is your shining crown of glory!

Go to Top of Page

little feather
True Blue Farmgirl

83 Posts

Tawnya
Walnut Creek California
USA
83 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2005 :  3:43:57 PM  Show Profile  Send little feather a Yahoo! Message
Thank you for such sweet words MeadowLark!

I'm "coming into my own", it's been a long and winding road- but, I'm really feeling as if I've arrived!

Finding wonderful kindred spirits help to fill my heart with a belonging that has never been there before!!

Much love!

T

Where ever you go, go with all your heart!
Go to Top of Page

showmemom
True Blue Farmgirl

166 Posts

karen
carthage mo
USA
166 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2005 :  4:08:06 PM  Show Profile
i can relate with the white hair; mine is really dark brown with LOTS of white and gray-i said something to the girl that usually cuts it about coloring it and she really discouraged me from doing it-she said it was beautiful just like it was and it made me "stand out" from everyone else.

so i don't color-i'm trying to grow it out-it's about shoulder length and has some wave to it-that's new. i usually keep it short and spiky but my oldest daughter is getting married in the fall and asked me to grow it out a little. and the husband person likes it really well.

talk to you soon.
karen

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human face.
Victor Hugo
Go to Top of Page

Whimsy_girl
True Blue Farmgirl

576 Posts

USA
576 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2005 :  5:06:02 PM  Show Profile
mines to my mid back and cut into layers because it's so stick straight and thin that it almost looks plastered onto my head if I don't do something to make it poof up a little. It's "chestnut" I guess because it's the same color as my mom's and the name on the the box she uses to dye hers says chestnut on it :)

you can be oh so smart, or you can be oh so positive. I wasted a lot of time being smart I prefer being positive.
Go to Top of Page

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2005 :  5:30:09 PM  Show Profile
AuntJenny--yours sounds exactly like mine. I too wanted the stick straight silky smooth hair all my friends had but now I realize it's just me. I have to have long hair too, I have cut is short before and everyone (including my husband) wondered what the heck I've done. Oh well it's just hair and I never would have known what I'd look like unless I did it right?

LittleFeather--I'm sure you look wonderful with the white hair BUT I just wanted to give you info. Just in case you decide one day that you want to color but don't want the damage you could always try henna. It's an all natural color that is actually a protein and conditioning treatment for your hair. BUT that is only if you change your mind, like I said I'm sure your hair is beautiful the way it is and if hubby likes it...that's all that would matter to me!!
Go to Top of Page

BillieKay
Farmgirl in Training

26 Posts

BillieKay
Centennial Wyoming
USA
26 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2005 :  9:02:45 PM  Show Profile
Hi. My hair is red and down to may waist. It's not too thick but not thin- just right. I would like to have beautiful ringlets but my hair is stick straight. I like to shampoo my hair with Terraessentials or Tate's Super Protein Shampoo. I wear my hair in 2 braids with a funky scarf almost everyday(pretty boring huh?)but that's the way I like it. I had short hair once and looked AWFUL.
Everyone tells me that now that I am getting older(ONLY 34 for petes sake)I should cut my hair. I will be an old woman wearing long gray braids and a wild scarf.
Namaste,
BillieKay
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2005 :  9:14:51 PM  Show Profile
I have had a couple of close friends (who looked good with short hair of course) tell me about 35 that wasn't I getting a little old for such long hair..and I just smiled. But now I KNOW they think I am nuts since more than a decade has passed and I havn't had short hair in all that time. I have HAD short hair in my adult years (once in my twenties and once in my early thirties) and both times starting growing it back the next day. I just got bored and messed with the wrong thing..should have bought new shoes I think instead. Hair grows slow!! I won't be talked into it again for sure. I am sure I will be an old lady with a big thick grey braid down the back (my hair has almost no grey yet..but I am sure it won't be like that for too long) Have any of you noticed that hair that turns grey comes in wirey and awful? Or is it just my hair. Dosn't seem right..should come in nice and soft..or something!!!

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2005 :  10:10:16 PM  Show Profile
I've had short hair twice in my life;at 7 yrs and 19 yrs. I've had very long hair (ranging from bum length to just above the knee) until recently. I cut 15 inches off a few months ago and donated it to the wigs for kids charity. I will be 40 in November and felt that I needed to lighten up a little. My hair is now in the middle of my back, light brown with many streaks of grey. After having children it has become wavy too which is a nice change. I have no particular compulsion to grow my hair, I just don't pay too much attention to it. I use all kinds of shampoos and conditioners but I'm strict about using only products that are animal and environmental cruelty free. I wash my hair only once a week at most..like I said, I can't be bothered to pay too much attention to it. Grey hair, wrinkles on my skin, saggy breasts and a widening bum are all part of the package of life's change. I do everything in my power to ignore what our society tries to suggest is of value and important to me about my appearance. I am who I am, as I am and that's that! Oh, I generally wear my hair pulled back in either a braided bun held in place with hair sticks or I wear it in braids. When it was really long I wore it long only for my husband..He called it "waterfall hair".
blessings, Julia

being simple to simply be
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2005 :  11:21:32 PM  Show Profile
Jenny -- I have lots more gray than I used to and it does come in wiry. I started getting more gray after I had Stephanie at age 42! Coincidence? Luckily I take after my dad who didn't go completely gray until he was past 80. Mine isn't bad -- just some strands in the front and on the sides. My mother, on the other hand, was gray at 35. I have been coloring my hair and said I was going to continue to do so until I turned 60. But I'm kind of changing my mind and may let nature take it's course.

Kay - Living in Beautiful Washington State

"If you are lucky enough to have a garden, you are lucky enough!"
Go to Top of Page

BillieKay
Farmgirl in Training

26 Posts

BillieKay
Centennial Wyoming
USA
26 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2005 :  11:26:49 PM  Show Profile
Aunt Jenny- I don't have any gray yet but I have noticed several very dark red really course hairs coming in. Maybe instead of gray my hair will be copper red. : )
Blessings,
BillieKay
Go to Top of Page

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2005 :  09:59:23 AM  Show Profile
I think it's beautiful to see an older woman with long hair that is done all tidy in a nice bun. It's different. Everyone thinks that because you reach a certain age you need to cut. DON'T.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2005 :  10:04:12 AM  Show Profile
Wow...wouldn't THAT be cool? I would love to get copper red instead of grey ones!! haha.
I think I am taking after my dad's side of the family too...they don't grey early at all. My dad died at 65 with mostly dark brown hair..grey on the sides..My mom's family grey young..she said since she was 40 it has been all grey..very fine and flyaway too..opposite of mine..she has colored her hair since I can remember. I have twice used a home hair color..which did cover the grey and was the same color as my hair...no one noticed. I am pretty sure I will never do a permanent color. I just don't have that much grey...a few hairs in front of each ear and a couple in my bangs and on top..and one little cluster on the side of my head..maybe 12 hairs..so I can't complain. I used Natural Instincts..it is supposed to wash out in 7 to 21 shampoos I think. I wash my hair two or three times a week and it has lasted two months so far and I just noticed a little of the grey in front of my ears showing again. I don't know...I may just forget it. I am not the beauty salon type. (my mom was a hairdresser before she retired. I drive her nuts!)

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2005 :  10:08:19 AM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
In high school and college, I had long hair that went to my tailbone. My hair is THICK, so I always wore it in a braid. I had ALL the heads turn then ;)

Then after college I tried to be more "professional" so I cut it chin-length, hated it, let it grow back to about bra-strap length. That was great - I loved my ponytail, it was so easy!

Then in my mid 20's I started two businesses, and I kept having older clients keep talking down to me, thinking I was 18 or 19 when I was 26! I found it so rude and insulting that I cut my hair VERY short in an attempt to look older. Everybody but my folks loved it, but I got tired of taking care of it - even that short it needs blow-drying and what I call "sticky crap."

So in December when I closeed the more client-intensive business with our move, I stopped getting it cut. It's taking longer to grow than I remember, still isn't exactly chin length and of all things, it has decided to be wavy.

So I currently have an unruly head of hair that gives me "horns" on one side and behaves on the other.
I can't wait to have my ponytail back.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Hair lenth and care Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page