Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Hair lenth and care Next Topic
Page: of 2

JoyIowa
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Joy

273 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2005 :  3:06:06 PM  Show Profile
Hair! I have a unique reason for keeping my hair down to my shoulder blades-I lost the lead part in a college play because the director didn't want to mess with a wig! (Not a big deal now, but when you're a junior in college and a theatre major...) Now it's just a little bit of self-expression. I wear it pulled back nearly every day, in fact I can't stand it hanging in my face. Sometimes in a bun or double ponytail, but my favorite way is to use a flexible comb! I love that gadget! Years ago I decided that I would look at graying hair as a reward for built in respect, and a life well lived. So far I have been successful. At our house hubby and I trim each other's hair, although he really hates doing mine. Hubby's hair is longer than mine and jet black. Now for the economic benefits: Trims here are $15 every 6 weeks x 2 total for year: $255.00, other hair care dyes, perms, styles, etc. $700, knowing exactly how my natural curly hair will look on any given day: priceless! Any of you with naturally curly hair will probably agree!
Have a great day!
Joy
PS: What do we do with the $ saved? It goes in a special savings account and if hubby and I want to go away for a weekend or have fresh, never frozen shrimp flown in from Now Orleans...we have it!

To live without farm life is merely existing, to live with farm life is living life to it very last experience.
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2005 :  05:39:56 AM  Show Profile
My hair is short. I havent had long hair since my twenties. It very pixish. Layered, cropped sometimes. It has been very silver and I liked it alot but now we have well water and the silver is looking very "old gray" and I dont like it at all. I do love my hair short though. its very easy and I feel it lifts up my 53 y/old face. Michele

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

quiltedess
True Blue Farmgirl

296 Posts

Nancy
Priest River ID
USA
296 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2005 :  09:52:28 AM  Show Profile
I'm with you Michelle. Short is best for me. My hair, though not very grey yet, is somewhat curley and the shorter lenghth helps it curl. I NEVER comb it. I NEVER blow it dry. It is just wash, fluff (with fingers) and wear. If I want the curls to stay in better, I spray it with the "sticky crap" :-) That's for special occasions.

On the other hand, my hubby and I went to a family reunion a couple of weekends ago. Hubby's mom was remarking on her sister's long flowing, white/grey hair that made her look like a "wild" woman, she didn't like it and had told her sister so. When we actually saw her, we liked her long hair. We figure at nearly 80 years old she's entitled to wear her hair any way the pleases her. And we told her to ignore her sister's and cousin's remarks about her "wild" hair. She even makes beautiful beaded clips to hold it back. Very pretty.

Now, my worry is losing my hair. My mother's hair is very, very thin. I am so vain I don't think I would just let it go at that and I would have to wear a wig. :-)

Nancy
Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2005 :  10:13:04 AM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
Ohh I love it when an older woman has decided to keep her long hair. Whether hanging or tied up in a loose bun, there's something so soft about it, whether it's a silver gray or dark gray. I decided long ago that if I can help it, I want mine long enough in my old age that I can put it in a soft bun like that. It's beautiful.

Fortunately or unfortunately, women in my line don't go gray or silver, we stay mostly dark with a few gray hairs blended in. My grandpa accused my grandma of getting her hair dyed at 55 because it was still free of gray. He told her she should just face her age and stop trying to be young. She was so MAD at him! Now my mom is in her early 50s and hasn't had but one gray hair!
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2005 :  11:55:04 AM  Show Profile
I have a feeling I will get the salt and pepper type hair that my dad's mom had when she died at 90. That is okay. She kept her hair long and wore it in a bun my whole life. When she had to be in a nursing home the last year of her life they cut her hair and that was sure sad! It was down to her waist!

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things
Go to Top of Page

Bridge
True Blue Farmgirl

814 Posts

Bridgette
Southern Indiana
USA
814 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2005 :  3:51:27 PM  Show Profile
I have long hair to my waist, it is brown and straight as a board!! It's funny those who have curls/waves want straight, those with straight would love some curls!!!
I have friends that think I am getting too old for long hair......
I suppose I will be too old when I am 100 because I love it and will not cut it!!
I had many different cuts thru out my life, but I now know I love my hair long.
I grew my bangs out, that is a big struggle and just this week I noticed they are finally long enough to stay back in a clip with the rest of my hair, or stay back without barrettes (which my DH said make me look like a 3 yr old) :(
As for shampoo. I just recently went to using shampoo without sodium lauryl sulfate and/or sodium Laureth sulfate. Boy can I tell a big difference. I really like the "Jason" brand and I can get it thru my local co-op
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2005 :  4:15:54 PM  Show Profile
Hair is such a very personal thing and in lots of societies is used to express some pretty serious things. In some it is kept long by both men and women and cut only to express grief over the loss of a loved one. As it grows out the grief is being overcome. braids signify yout state of marriage either you are a child (2 braids) you are unmarried( oneworn over your left shoulder) or you are married( one worn over your right shoulder). Here in america many of these little traditions are lost through the generations.
As for me after that little trivia, I wear my hair long , as long as it will get but I trim off one inch every month one day before the full moon to keep it even and healthy. This keeps it growing vigorously and shinny. Since I began doing this my hair has thickened up, become even on the ends and seldom has any split ends. It glows with health and all my grey hairs glisten like snow in the red brown scot irish hair I have. In hot weather i keep it braided and clipped to the top of my head. This keeps it off the back of my neck and keeps it out of my eyes while I work. I also think it keeps it cleaner while I am outside. Something that I have discovered that has also made a difference in the health of my hair is the use of a wooden bristled hair brush. It is not the expensive weedoo brush but one that is only about 10 dollars at my co-op made by Bass. I love it and it never tears out any of my hair while I am brushing it out.
Eileen

songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

Robinwolf
Farmgirl in Training

44 Posts

Robin
Blacksburg Virginia
USA
44 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2005 :  4:31:59 PM  Show Profile  Send Robinwolf an AOL message
Hi - I am growing my hair back out. Several years ago, I decided for some reason, that I wanted to cut off my below waist length dark brown hair - I had it cut off to chin length, and donated the long braid to the Cancer Society. Got a sweet note from a little girl who received it and who had a ponytail made out of it to wear. I then got started highlighting my hair and also for some STRANGE reason decided to start wearing acrylic nails. I was a nail biter and wanted pretty hands. So I was soon into MUCHO money being spent. This went on for about 3 years. Then, about 3 months ago, about the same time I found MJ, I realized that my normally dark brown hair was actually now BLONDE - and that was NOT me. And that I really didn't like having the acrylic nails. So I had my stylist dye my hair back to its normal color, and we took off the nails. I've been able to let my own nails grow out - no polish on them or anything - just natural. And I have my own hair color - I have to get it touched up every 4 months or so, because of the highlights we are covering up - they begin to show through. So as soon as my own hair grows out, we won't have to do that anymore. But I am really happy to have my own color back, AND I've decide to let it grow out too. I'd been letting it grow out for the past 7 months or so anyway, and now it is down about 5 inches below my shoulders. I am ready to grow it all the way back out as long as it will grow, and wear my braids again, or wear it pulled back on the sides with barrettes. Natural is best. Right?
Robin

Let the beauty we love be what we do. -- Rumi--
Go to Top of Page

PJJ
True Blue Farmgirl

95 Posts

Paula
Bristow OK
USA
95 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2005 :  6:31:33 PM  Show Profile  Send PJJ an AOL message
Such a wonderful topic!

Mine has always been curly (and brown!). Since I grew up in the era of Farrah Fawcett and all those blonde layers -- that's what I always wanted. Or hair that behaved: stayed put, moved when someone's head turned. You know - *straight* hair stuff!

I've never been particularly adept at working with it and have been known to pay big $$ to have it cut. When I started working at the salon a couple of years ago, I started trading out with one of the stylists for cuts and color (now that it's getting gray, it's very ashy and dull, not a nice salt-and-pepper).

Not sure what I'm going to do in the future. It's expensive to keep up, but it needs to look somewhat "tame" for business. Sometimes it would be nice to look like the professional I'm supposed to be; other times I like that it's "wild and free" when I feel so much of the rest of my life isn't!

Paula J.

Paula J., with Ty, Cara, Brody, Blue, and Fidget
Go to Top of Page

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2005 :  7:29:32 PM  Show Profile
Do any of you ladies with long hair have a favorite natural shampoo and conditioner? I noticed someone uses Jason and I'll have to give that a try. I have used Giovanni and it's ok and Avalon Organics just so-so and Aubrey Organics which is horrible for me.
Go to Top of Page

Morning_Dew
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

Karen
cottageville sc
USA
17 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2005 :  09:04:41 AM  Show Profile  Send Morning_Dew a Yahoo! Message
Kristi. to get your hair to grow you need to trim it about every three months about a half inch. my hair is just past my bottom, and getting ready to cut it because now it gets tangled around my arms and neck and take the better part of a day to dry. only reason its as long as it is is the hubby loves it and everytime i mention cutting it he buys new hair things for me to use clip, stix, combs and whatnot. but its true with long hair your a slave to your hair.

every gardener should make time for the humming BIRDS and honey BEES, stop and smell the flowers.
Go to Top of Page

KarenP
True Blue Farmgirl

666 Posts

Karen
Chippewa Falls Wisconsin
USA
666 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2005 :  11:10:39 AM  Show Profile
Kristi,
I have short hair, but really thick. I like Giovanni, but I agree Aubrey is horrible for me too. I can't get it rinsed out of my hair. I think I could stay in the shower for an hour and not get it all out!
I guess my hair just grabs and holds some of these shampoos.
I won't even go anywhere near cream rinses!
KarenP

"Purest Spring Water in the World"
Go to Top of Page

HorseyNut
True Blue Farmgirl

78 Posts

Allena
MO
USA
78 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2006 :  09:07:58 AM  Show Profile
My hair is red, it always putters out half way between my shoulderblades and bra strap. I can't ever seem to get it longer. Any ideas? Trim more maybe?
I worry about going grey, my Grandmother (same hair color) went a nasty yellow dirty color. It looked HORRIBLE. My Mother swears that ugly hair color like that comes from poor nutrition. I hope she's right. Henna coloring for me or something if it goes that ugly color.
Go to Top of Page

sugarsfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Leah
Woodward Iowa
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2006 :  09:36:25 AM  Show Profile  Send sugarsfarm an AOL message
Allena my hair is red too and im so worried about the ugly yellow color!! I have no ones hair to look at to see what it might do since im the only red head around!! Everyone in my family has black or brown hair, i inherited it from my great grandparents but all the photos are black and white!! I have pretty long hair, to the middle of my back, and hate to get it cut . I musturd up some strength 3 months ago and got a great haircut, layers and all that. I probably wont be back for a while to get it cut. It took the girl 2 hours to cut my hair!! did i mention that my hair is really thick, they say about 3 heads of hair is what i got!! haha thanks for bringing this topic back!!

You must be the change you want to see in the world.
Mahatma Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

TejasFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

105 Posts

Dawnn
Bartonville Texas
USA
105 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2006 :  10:49:50 AM  Show Profile
I used to be blonde but then again, I used to be alot of things! My hair is extremely thick with some wave and about shoulder length. I get it cut 4 times a year - the guy that cuts it is pricey but the cuts last forever. The best thing I have done for my hair (which tends to be coarse) is not to wash it-ever. Most people gross out when I say this but I have dry hair and scalp. I condition it every day with Avalon Organics Yang-Ylang (sp?)conditioner-great stuff! I love being on vacation because then I don't blow dry it either -Last week my hair was so happy since I would just condition it and put it up in a clip or back with a bandana to work in the garden.
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2006 :  1:19:38 PM  Show Profile
Having gone from long to short and back a few times, I'll give you my hair story. I started growing it out in elementary school (emulating Laura Ingalls) and it stopped around my hipbones in junior high. I kept it like that right up through college and beyond. It was easy to care for in the basic sense, but impossible to style at all. Now that my hair is short (ear length - I've never actually buzzed it all off, although I've been sorely tempted)it doesn't require any more fussing and it looks nicer all day, if I do say so.

My best hair moments:
When I was in high school, my town had an extremely rainy summer. Not a day went by without a thunderstorm. When I took my morning shower, my hair would still be damp from the morning before.
Yuck!

During my first week away at college, a young man came around the dorms selling magazine subscriptions. I took his pamphlet and turned around to get a pen, giving him a glimpse of my flowing locks. "Girl, you've got some a**-long hair!" was his comment.

I worked outdoors one summer in college, and I kept my hair braided most of the time. When I went back to school in the fall I discovered that my brown hair now had beautiful blond streaks all the way through, from the sun shining on the braid. A tip for those who still have the long hair!

When I finally decided it was time to sacrifice my hair, I couldn't face the prospect of going to a beauty shop and trying to find a normal haircut. I asked my punk rock co-worker to do some hacking with his mom's sewing shears. Still my favorite haircut!

I'm just starting to get noticeable gray hairs, so I'm on to the next frontier of hair stories. So far, I think I've been lucky in the hair department, although I've always pined for the thick and curly type.
Go to Top of Page

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2006 :  06:06:38 AM  Show Profile
Dawn, I've heard of people doing a conditioner only 'wash' before. I've tried it but I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or what but it didn't work for me. My hair is about 2 inches from waist right now and I think to get it clean would take a lot of conditioner. How do you do your conditioner treatment?

Amie--I've had long hair almost all my life. It has been different lengths--midback, waist, shoulderblade but it has been somewhat long. Except for once. For some strange reason 5 years ago, I decided to cut it VERY short. I hated it from the time I walked out the salon door. I personally love long hair and it's so easy to care for-for me. I bet your hair was beautiful that long (i'm sure it's still beautiful ) and I bet it was hard to part with it when you cut it!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Hair lenth and care Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page