Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Frugal Farmgirl Tips and Tricks
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Frugal Farmgirl Tips and Tricks Next Topic
Page: of 3

MustangSuzie
True Blue Farmgirl

634 Posts

Sarah
New London Missouri
USA
634 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2007 :  6:38:21 PM  Show Profile  Send MustangSuzie a Yahoo! Message
Great ideas! I really like the one about using the toilet paper bag as a trash bag. I always buy the great big packages and it never occured to me to do that.

Wow Susan, I just cannot fathom that people have such issues with a clothesline. It is just something that we always did when I was growing up. Even though I have a dryer I always feel guilty using it, on the extreme rare occaision that I do. A funny thing though. When I first put mine up, a few months later my neighbor came over one day to talk to me while I was hanging out laundry. I think she was just curious about my clothesline as she asked me if I didn't have a dryer. lol Before long she put up her own clothesline.

To dress up for halloween this year my boys wanted to be spiderman, batman and a ninja, my daughter wanted to be a doctor. So I bought sweats and sweat shirts for the boys, my mom decorated the little ones with a spider and web on her sewing maching and we made a batman cape out of a black garbage bag (being careful not to rip it so I can still be used). My older son(the ninja) will just be getting new sweats(that were bought on sale) as he chose to go deer hunting instead of trunk or treating. All of these can be used and worn this winter, yea! I can't see paying $20 plus for a flimsy lil costume that they wear once, out grow and then what do you do with it. My daughter just raided my closet for some hospital scrubs for her doctor outfit. Creativity and frugality feels so awesome.

I do the same thing with my violet plants. I will pick off large leaves on the bottom and put them in a jar of water to grow roots then plant them. I gave my mom two nice plants for her birthday last year. Also, I have found a secret for getting violets to look fantastic all winter long. When I run my dishwasher I set the violet plants on the top of it. They absolutely love the heat.

For those of you that use dryer sheets I have read that tearing them in half or thirds works just as well as using a whole sheet. Also you can fill a small spray bottle with water and liquid softener and just spray a small old cloth to throw into the dryer.

I just used a little vinegar in my rinse water as a fabric softener. Acutally though, I have noticed since I have been using the homemade laundry soap my clothes are incredibly soft even without it. Another way to make fabric softener is to take a baby sock and fill it with around 1/4 cup baking soda. Tie it shut with a rubber band and throw it in the rinse cycle.

For those of you with carpet, if you have static electricity around your computer/electronics etc you can use the spray bottle of fabric softer/water and spray just a bit on your carpet. It gets rid of the static. We used to do this when I worked as a mortgage processor.

Blessings....
Sarah

www.mustangsuzie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

mima
True Blue Farmgirl

1573 Posts

1573 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2007 :  6:46:37 PM  Show Profile
Go veggie!! Cut out all processed food,walk everywhwere, hang your laundry, unplug your appliances, cloth bags, plan your menus,shop thrift! Thats my two cents!!! Hugs!
Go to Top of Page

myfairlady636
True Blue Farmgirl

226 Posts

Janice
Fort Bridger WY
USA
226 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2007 :  07:11:34 AM  Show Profile
I was thinking about beans and ham too... how funny!

My Fair Lady

"Our lives have meaning, purpose and direction"
Go to Top of Page

MasterGardener
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

Chandra
Louisiana
USA
572 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2007 :  12:09:24 PM  Show Profile  Send MasterGardener a Yahoo! Message
My DH & I bought a "charcoal chimney" to use to start the coals for the grill. We used a coffee can for years; had church-key cut-outs all the way around the bottom & we used a vise grip to turn coals out when they were white hot & ready for grilling. The chimney has a handle, a grid about 3/4 of the way down the inside of the cylinder; this holds the charcoal, with about 4 inches under the grid for kindling material (we use newspaper). Light the newspaper, it starts the charcoal w/o having to use starter fluid. It's much better for the environment and saves money; no starter fluid required.

She considereth a field, and buyeth it; with the fruit of her hands she planteth a vineyard.
Proverbs 31:16
Go to Top of Page

celebrate2727
True Blue Farmgirl

989 Posts

Beth
MJF Farmgirl
989 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2007 :  12:31:07 PM  Show Profile  Send celebrate2727 a Yahoo! Message
All of you ladies have amazing ideas. I am going to finish sewing a few grocery bags right away. I also make alot of our own products for the house.I have also dumpster dived but not for food- did get a great basket, chair and books that way (how dare my MIl through these things out without telling me first!)

Wouldn't it be fun to have a swap night at a chapter meeting. Post your items online a week or two before the meeting and then read through everyones list and sign up for what you want. Then at the meeting, bring all the items that have been spoken for and swap. Talk about a winwin, you get stuff you need while not having to trhow away something someone else may need/want.

blessings
beth

I Can
beth@maryjanesfarm.org

Go to Top of Page

MasterGardener
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

Chandra
Louisiana
USA
572 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2007 :  12:51:38 PM  Show Profile  Send MasterGardener a Yahoo! Message
We recycle used (within reason) paper towels. I open the top and rinse an old cardboard milk carton and the paper towels that are barely used go into it to be used for minor clean-up jobs like a spill or something of that sort.

She considereth a field, and buyeth it; with the fruit of her hands she planteth a vineyard.
Go to Top of Page

Shirlaroo
True Blue Farmgirl

297 Posts

Shirley

Australia
297 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2007 :  7:43:23 PM  Show Profile
Thought you frugal farmgirls might like to check out this site www.simplesavings.com.au . It is an aussie based site but still has loads of useful saving tips on it.

Friends are the best collectables.
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2007 :  8:49:43 PM  Show Profile
Sarah,
check it out, Jessica just posted some pic's in "sewing", take a look at the cute decorated wooden clothes pins.....
I use mine to keep bills or paper work together(like a paperclip).
Great for gift giving.
I can see it now, a cute little basket with some homemade laundry soap, 1/2 doz decorated cloth pins, and a few other laundry goodies as a house warming gift basket....

>^..^< Happiness is being a katmom.

Sisters on the Fly#472

www.katmom4.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

MustangSuzie
True Blue Farmgirl

634 Posts

Sarah
New London Missouri
USA
634 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2007 :  5:41:04 PM  Show Profile  Send MustangSuzie a Yahoo! Message
Thanks Grace, I'll go check it out. I am always looking for another use for clothespins.

Blessings....
Sarah

www.mustangsuzie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Peanut
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jennifer
Waverly Virginia
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2007 :  11:59:52 AM  Show Profile
I made my own kitchen "curtains" with aluminum roof flashing. I measured the width of the window and cut the metal to fit. Then I printed a punched tin pattern from the internet and punched out my pattern all along the aluminum.

They really are cute and I get tons of compliments... the best part is that it was FREE!

What is a farm but a mute gospel?

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

MasterGardener
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

Chandra
Louisiana
USA
572 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2007 :  12:16:49 PM  Show Profile  Send MasterGardener a Yahoo! Message
Please take some pictures and post them. I am sooo intrigued because that sounds totally creative and original that idea is.

chandra

Go to Top of Page

Peanut
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jennifer
Waverly Virginia
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2007 :  07:22:25 AM  Show Profile
I wanted to take a picture with the sunlight streaming in, but it's raining here today - I hope you get an idea of what they look like, MasterGardener. The ends of the aluminum are folded back and nailed to the insides of the window.

"What is a farm but a mute gospel?"
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

MasterGardener
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

Chandra
Louisiana
USA
572 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2007 :  08:40:00 AM  Show Profile  Send MasterGardener a Yahoo! Message
Jennifer...how do I tell you how beautiful that is? It is stunning! It looks like copper in the reflected light from the room. Woman, that is really the MOST creative idea I've seen in years. I hope MaryJane Butters sees this picture and somehow, someway uses your picture in a future magazine or book!!!!! I love it! I also love the scene outside the window. You are a TRUE farmgirl! I recognize the style of window too, is it 6 over 6 panes? It's the same windows we have here in our house. I have to tell you, I'd like very much to know where you found the pattern because I'd like to emmulate your creativity here for my kitchen windows. Absolutely stunning! Jennifer, please post this to the "Book Ideas" forum...you've got something special to share!
Thank you for putting the picture up. It's a sight to behold!

Edited by - MasterGardener on Nov 06 2007 08:49:32 AM
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2007 :  08:44:34 AM  Show Profile
Jennifer, I just love your kitchen "curtains" -- how original!

Jo

"Wish I had time to work with herbs all day!"
Go to Top of Page

MasterGardener
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

Chandra
Louisiana
USA
572 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2007 :  08:51:40 AM  Show Profile  Send MasterGardener a Yahoo! Message
Jennifer, how old is the house you live in? I just noticed the "battens" in the board and batten style on the wall there. My house had it on te walls for years, the people who owned it before us took all of it down but for one room. Great old houses.
Chandra

Go to Top of Page

Peanut
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jennifer
Waverly Virginia
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2007 :  09:36:48 AM  Show Profile
Thanks! I just searched for patterns on the internet until I found one I liked and then I enlarged it to fit the metal. The woman who babysat my girls when I was a teacher had the same thing in her kitchen and told me how easy it was. The "punching" part was tedious, but no more so than snapping beans or shelling pecans!

The windows are 6 over 6. This house has all different types of windows - the previous owners remodeled some of the house. The windows upstairs still have the "wavy" glass - I love them!

We're not sure but we think the house dates back to the 1840's - someday I intend on getting to the courthouse and finding out the exact year!

Thank you all for the compliments...I will get over to the Book Ideas forum now!

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

MasterGardener
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

Chandra
Louisiana
USA
572 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2007 :  09:49:34 AM  Show Profile  Send MasterGardener a Yahoo! Message
Oh, now that's amazing. Mine was built between 1907 & 1910. We have 3 sets of oval cheval(just recently looked it up; means horse of all things...hmmmm) windows with the side-lights & one set still has all 6 (transom has 3) original wavy glass panes. Most of the windows are still intact here...amazing with all the hurricanes it's survived. I like your idea of going to the courthouse and researching, I've wanted to do the same thing. I'd like to have the original plans and know about where the materials came from, that sort of thing. How wonderful to have that kind of info available for old homes.

Anyway, love the punch-art valances. Well done! I wanted to mention posting in the "Make It Easy" forum also.

Chandra

Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2007 :  11:30:10 AM  Show Profile
Those "curtains" are freakin' adorable! I just about jumped out of my chair here at the office!!!
It looks so clean, and simply wonderful!

Congrats on a really great idea!

"She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

junkjunkie
True Blue Farmgirl

1306 Posts

Judy
Lawrenceville NJ
USA
1306 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2007 :  1:29:26 PM  Show Profile
I love it!!! Very original idea...looks beautiful! I love the pattern!

"To have life in focus, we must have death in our field of vision." Benedictine monk John Main
Go to Top of Page

CountryBorn
True Blue Farmgirl

1545 Posts

Mary Jane
New York
USA
1545 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2007 :  2:05:45 PM  Show Profile
Jennifer I have to say that is really beautiful. It should be in the book. You are one creative lady!

MJ

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do. Freya Stark
Go to Top of Page

Shirlaroo
True Blue Farmgirl

297 Posts

Shirley

Australia
297 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2007 :  9:00:49 PM  Show Profile
Jennifer, I have to agree with the others the curtin is so pretty. I am going to have a go at that for my daughters room.

Friends are the best collectables.
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9394 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9394 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2007 :  05:35:18 AM  Show Profile
Jennifer,
My I add my AWESOME! Those are beautiful and they seem to fit the house perfectly.
Our place was built in 1897 but it has been remodeled so I don't think they is anything left of the original here. Except maybe the basement. Part of it was in a fire too, so chances are nothing is left of the original.
Oh the hardwood flooring is original I forgot about that. I may have to try my hand a that. I have a few windows that are difficult to find curtains for and of I have to make them anyway why not like this.
Excellent idea thanks for sharing!

"The earth is the Lord's and the fullness thereof and all that dwell therein."

www.torismimi.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Peanut
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jennifer
Waverly Virginia
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2007 :  06:30:47 AM  Show Profile
Here's what I did in the living room. They're so cute with a tiny Christmas wreath hanging from the loop!

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

MasterGardener
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

Chandra
Louisiana
USA
572 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2007 :  06:36:31 AM  Show Profile  Send MasterGardener a Yahoo! Message
Jennifer, you have a gift! Okay, now where can I get one of those? I think you are seriously onto something here...! I see an inspired woman in your creativity and I hope you continue to bless us with your pictures.

Chandra

Edited by - MasterGardener on Nov 07 2007 06:37:03 AM
Go to Top of Page

DeepsouthMamma
True Blue Farmgirl

1454 Posts

Autumn
Southwest Louisiana
USA
1454 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2007 :  06:39:53 AM  Show Profile
I love the single tree over the window! Got one I've been trying to come up with an idea for! Tks for the idea!!!
The tin curtain is fabulous!!! The view with the hay wagon is ..well just so farmy and wonderful!!
Farmgirls have talent!!!
Blessings
Autumn

Isaiah 40:31
But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Frugal Farmgirl Tips and Tricks Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page