Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Frugal Farmgirl Tips and Tricks
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Frugal Farmgirl Tips and Tricks Next Topic
Page: of 3

MustangSuzie
True Blue Farmgirl

634 Posts

Sarah
New London Missouri
USA
634 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2007 :  12:18:52 PM  Show Profile  Send MustangSuzie a Yahoo! Message
I thought it would be fun if we all posted things that we do to be frugal and save money. I know somewhere there is a thrifty post but I have a hard time finding searches on here.

I ran out of unbleached coffee filters a couple of days ago and suddenly had a light bulb moment. I already use muslin bags for brewing tea so I thought why not make something for coffee too. I think I'll make two different types...one that just fits in like a regular filter with elastic or a draw string to hold it in place of one that is just a little draw string bag.

I haven't turned the heat on in my house yet. I made a pot of tea and didn't want it to cool off fast because the room temp is so cool so I made a temporary tea cozy. I just took the thickest fluffiest kitchen towel I could find and wrapped it around it securing with a a clothespin or two.

I have to confess, I use clothespins for everything. lol They make great bag clips, use them on a child size wire hanger to dry my rewashed baggies on,i even use one in my locker at work to keep the door from getting accidently shut, as I cannot open the combination lock. lol

I'm looking forward to reading everyone's ideas.

Blessings....
Sarah

www.mustangsuzie.blogspot.com

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2007 :  1:18:40 PM  Show Profile
Sarah! thanks for the muslin idea. I buy coffee filters anyhow for doing applique work and they get tossed int he compost after bing used for that and for coffee. I will contiue to buy them becuase I use them for other purposes, but I am going to use your idea.

I am teaching a workshop on the bounty that cloth has to offer in so many areas of home life for our Back to B.A.S.I.C.S. this year in Jan. I am going to cover using cloth dipes, moontime pads, tampons, napkins, towels for dishes and spills, cloth toilet wipes, baby wipes and now I have coffee filters! Huzzah!

One thing that I do to be thrifty is when I get something new of something I already have that is still useable, I either sell it (most of the time) or I trade for something else we dont have but need. that's pretty basic though.

What else do I do? It's hard to think of them all because they are commonplace for us. we dont think about these things, they are just part of our every day life! Um, buying in bulk for my overstock pantry, OH! here's one, along the coffee lines again: I brew the coffee, either int he French Press or the electric brewer, then I store the coffee in a big coffee decanter. If I used the coffee pot, I unplug it after its use. If I used the French press, the decanter keeps me from having to use the microwave-which also stays unplugged until needed. My decanter keeps coffee warm for up to 36 hours! without burning it! so sometimes, i dont even need to make some the next day when I fill Rob's thermos and have my morning Joe. I like that trick.

~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose

Blogs: http://gaiarose.wordpress.com
http://womonandsprout.wordpress.com
http://youtube.com/profile?user=GaiasRose
Homepage:
http://ForestFaeries.etsy.com
Birth is safe, interference is risky; TRUST BIRTH
Go to Top of Page

MustangSuzie
True Blue Farmgirl

634 Posts

Sarah
New London Missouri
USA
634 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2007 :  3:09:23 PM  Show Profile  Send MustangSuzie a Yahoo! Message
Great ideas Tasha!

In the past I have purchased a couple different coffee carafes but I always have managed to break them somehow. So I found a large thermos at a yard sale for $1 and it works just as well, actually I think even better, as it keeps things warmer longer.

Another thing I do is always try to fill a thermos full of cold water to take in the car whenever we go somewhere. I just picked up another thermos today at a thrift store. This sure saves on the pocket book when we are out and about and the kids are all saying how thirsty they are. It gets them when I pull out a thermos and we don't have to buy a bottle drink at the store!!! woohoo

Blessings....
Sarah

Go to Top of Page

Shirlaroo
True Blue Farmgirl

297 Posts

Shirley

Australia
297 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2007 :  5:34:04 PM  Show Profile
There is an article in a magazine this week here in Australia about people "dumpster diving". Aparently large grocery stores throw out tons of perfectly good food. I thought only the homeless did this. But it seems people here and other countries such as Holland are doing it to take a stand against society's massive levels of waste. This is taking frugal to the extreme and personaly I don't think I could get over the "Thats gross" way of thinking. I do grow my own herbs and plan to have a large vegie garden when we move. I reuse wrapping paper and gift bags. When the bar of soap gets to small to use I wet it and stick it on to the new one. A penny saved is a penny earned.

Friends are the best collectables.

Edited by - Shirlaroo on Oct 25 2007 5:53:49 PM
Go to Top of Page

MustangSuzie
True Blue Farmgirl

634 Posts

Sarah
New London Missouri
USA
634 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2007 :  6:24:33 PM  Show Profile  Send MustangSuzie a Yahoo! Message
Shirley...

I have read about people dumpster diving here, I have yet to try it. I'm not sure I would do it at a grocery store but I have enough curiosity that I would look to see what was inside before I passed it up. It definitely is an extreme technique. One grocery store that I shop at sometimes will have a cart at the end of the produce section with clearance produce. I have gotten some great deals different things such as apples that were getting soft which make great applesauce/apple butter. One time I got a bundle of organic boxed raisins. I'm still not sure why the raisins were in that cart, not like they go bad quickly.

Also Shirley, you may or may not be interested but I belong to a couple of frugal/thrifty groups on MSN, one is moderated by an Australian I'm blessed to call a friend (Money Saving Ideas)and the other(Frugal LIving) I'm not sure if it is in Oz or UK. I love to read about how people around the world are being frugal and trying to save money and beat the system.

I know some people only like to shop once a month or so and that is great. But I find that if you can quickly scan through a store on a weekly or biweekly basis you can catch instore deals that don't get advertised.

Sometimes there will be large bags of bananas that are getting overripe at the grocery store for 99 cents. I'll buy a couple of bags full and pop them in the freezer. When you make banana bread or smoothies or anything that needs a mashed banana all you do is thraw them out, cut the end of and squeeze them out. Since they were frozen they are already mushed. You could also dry them for banana chips although I have never been able to get it quite right.

Blessings....
Sarah

Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2007 :  06:03:27 AM  Show Profile
When I get a lot of peppers out of the garden or they are cheap enough at the store to buy a bunch, I chop them up and store them in freezer bags in the freezer. Any time I need peppers in my cooking, I just pull the bag out of the freezer and pop a handful or two into the cooking. No more waste because I don't use them fast enough. I do the same with onions.

I re-use dryer sheets as dust rags. They actually hold a lot of dust.

I have a dead soap jar full of water. When the bar soap gets too small to use it goes in the jar. When the jar is full, I run it through the blender and pour it into the liquid soap dispenser.

I use the back of used envelopes for grocery lists or other lists.

I freeze all bananas that are beyond the eating stage until I can get around to making bread with them.

No body in my house eats the heel of the bread, so I leave it out to get stale, crush it with my rolling pin and store the crumbs for use with meatballs, meatloaf, etc.

I used all the rocks on our place (and there are lots!) to make pathways, retaining walls, a man-made stream and ponds and dividers between the flower beds and grass.

I put dryer lint in a mesh bag that I hang outside for the birds to use in their nests.

I save old toothbrushes to use for detail cleaning. Nothing cleans my wedding rings better than an old toothbrush and toothpaste (grandma's trick).

I keep the buttons, snaps, zippers, lace, ribbon and such from old worn-out clothing before I turn them into rags.

I save old shoe laces. Any kind of string is invaluable.

I will now be saving old or unmatched socks to use on the corn to keep the earwigs out of it (thanks MJ).

The dirt from dead potted plants (frost kill) goes back into the compost pile.

There are more, but this is getting lenthy.

my blog: http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/
My Website:
http://www.freewebs.com/lisamariesbasketry/index.htm
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2007 :  06:18:13 AM  Show Profile
I am so glad that so many of us use the same ideas. when I was a kid I was always at the grocers dumpster getting good produce for my ducks and chickens. MB

www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2007 :  06:40:34 AM  Show Profile
I have only a couple of frugal tips, really. I'm not that creative around the house--

* I save my husband's mismatched socks for dusting--spray em' and go. The same with his old boxer shorts (he gets mad because when I think they're old and ragged, he thinks they're the most comfortable!)

*I'm just downright cheap when it comes to turning the heat on. We wear sweaters and socks and whatever else to keep warm. That's the ONE thing I've been really grateful about this never ending summer!

*We "swap" books out at half price books--they give you a monetary credit, and you can buy or take your return home.

*We eat a lot of beans (soups, withe rice and veges, etc..) bought dry in bags--what great stretchers, and so good for you (c'mon, y'all know the song!)

*I go to a lot of church rummage sales--helps them, helps me--as opposed to yard sales or thrift, because (I've mentioned before our thrift stores are pricey). I find a lot of pyrex and other cookware that I use frequently, that way, and I'm not spending a ton of money on "antique" or "vintage" pyrex at Goodwill!!!!

*I save large glass jars (condiments, etc..)for dry goods storage, making pretty labels and painting the lids if need be.

"She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
Go to Top of Page

MustangSuzie
True Blue Farmgirl

634 Posts

Sarah
New London Missouri
USA
634 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2007 :  07:51:22 AM  Show Profile  Send MustangSuzie a Yahoo! Message
Such great ideas!! I love it.

I love jar candles but I hate the price of them. So one thing I do is save the wax from candles that are almost burned down or cannot be used anymore. You can melt that down, put a wick in it, fill up a jar and have a new candle. I also save small jars from store bought things and use to make new candles. I have a box of soy wax and some wick, coloring and fragrance just waiting to be used.

A nice gift is to pick up a pretty tea cup at resale shops and make a candle out of it. I actually saw Martha Stewart doing this in one of her magazines.

Also baby food jars make excellent votive cups. Baby food jars are so useful for so many things. I am always asking moms of babies if they have any to spare. lol

Blessings....
Sarah

Go to Top of Page

MasterGardener
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

Chandra
Louisiana
USA
572 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2007 :  09:48:06 AM  Show Profile  Send MasterGardener a Yahoo! Message
Like Jonni in the post above, we use a lot of beans and lentils. A favorite is Hurst's HamBeens brand, but even those have gotten "pricey", so buy individual beans in bulk (they're listed on the back of the bag) I throw away the seasoning packet (too many unpronounceable ingredients) and I don't know which is worse that or the salt pork I use. I take the crock pot out, turn it on high, add 3 whole cloves of garlic, the salt pork and then let it get hot. I put the beans in a sm. pot w/water to do the quick soak method...boil for two minutes, remove from heat, soak 1hr, drain off the water and pour the beans in the crock pot. It usually takes my crock pot about that much time to get hot anyway...which is why I do the garlic and salt pork right away. Add fresh water to cover, plus some. (I double this amnt. as they absorb that much cooking all day) I grind fresh pepper only, cover the pot & let it cook all day. I cook brown rice in the same pot I soaked the beans in and usually do a cornbread just before supper. For some people, beans are an acquired taste. For me, I can't even begin to describe the sense of security and comfort I got when I'd walk into my grandmother's house and smell navy beans cooking on the stove with a big old ham bone she'd gotten from the butcher. And taste good...Lord knows how much I loved her navy beans. I learned to love them, never knowing how frugal they were.
Beans, lentils, split peas...they are so wholesome and such a good source of fiber. A green salad and some crusty brown bread...my mouth waters. I cook beans on Monday's because it's the day I do laundry and we have a LOT of laundry. This way, I'm assured we have a meal ready.

Dryer lint is a wonderful addition to the compost pile...

Rainwater (for those of us who aren't suffering from drought conditions) caught in a barrel or even a bucket is great for watering plants...

plastic grocery bags can be sent to the recycle, some stores even have a barrel @ front doors to take the old bags...
I bought 3 string bags
http://www.ecobags.com/s.nl
http://www.greenhome.com/products/kitchen/shopping_bags/107210/
a few years ago. I try to limit myself to this amount of groceries every other week, plus it saves grocery bags. Some of the clerks get a bit uppity because it's less convenient, but I've learned to organize my groceries on the belt so I can help with filling the string bags.

I'm a Shaklee distributor (farmgirls, it's a great way to save money on concentrated, eco-freindly products & earn a little extra money. Want to know more? email me) and I use their new "Get-Clean"line" of concentrated, eco-friendly cleaning products...LOVE the Scour-Off cleaning paste...has a gazillion uses, so does the Basic H2...excellent non-toxic mosquito repellant, you can soak your produce beore use...sheep/goat farmers use it to de-worm...

The UPS Store will take all of my empty cardboard boxes and packing...peanuts, plastic "puffer" envelopes.

Someone above mentioned a thermos for water with children during the day...I purchased a 2 ltr bottle/jug from Whole Foods...Do you know about the crisis concerning bottled water? How many hundreds of thousands of bottles wind up in landfills. A refillabel bottle is a huge environmental help. I refill mine daily...it's a bit more than my body's daily requirements, but I know I've had the amount I'm supposed to if it's empty by the end of the day...It goes with me everywhere...my husband even fills it for me if he knows we're going out, asks me if I have it if he doesn't see it with me, it's become a part of wardrobe :)

*NOTE: Be careful about the bottle you choose. Most convenience size bottled water has a recycle # of 1 or 2 on the bottom and these bottles are known to leach PVC's see link for more info... (http://www.checnet.org/healthehouse/education/articles-detail.asp?Main_ID=185)
You may want to consider purchasing a bottle that is a bit more expensive, like the one from Whole Foods (made by enviroproducts), but well worth the price in peace of mind. Choose a bottle with a rating of #7, it doesn't leach PVC's.

She considereth a field, and buyeth it; with the fruit of her hands she planteth a vineyard.
Proverbs 31:16

Edited by - MasterGardener on Oct 28 2007 05:46:10 AM
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2007 :  10:20:29 AM  Show Profile
Oh Yes! I love the smell of beans cooking--I don't use any seasoning packet, as I'm a bit of a cooking snob and I rather like my own workings! I used to work with a woman who had a strong aversion to beans of any kind because they were "poor people food"...Well, I am that!

store-type plastic bags: when I go to the grocer, I bring my own bags (2 XL LL Bean boat and totes, and a linen sack from an organic grocery in North Carolina), but I DO get Target's plastic bags, because they're heavier, and they make great small trash can liners, and litter box bags. Since I've been making my own cleaning products, I haven't been to Target for much of anything, anymore!

We are in the process of making a rain barrow system with huge wine barrels my husband bought from a local vintner, but this year we sure didn't have any rain!

"She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...

Edited by - KYgurlsrbest on Oct 26 2007 10:21:24 AM
Go to Top of Page

MasterGardener
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

Chandra
Louisiana
USA
572 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2007 :  10:36:07 AM  Show Profile  Send MasterGardener a Yahoo! Message
Jonni, I believe that with today's mind-set moving more and more toward health-conscious choices, going organic, getting enough fiber, etc., it's become a bit "upscale" & trendy to live organically, so us "po"-folk been eatin' beans, we're the trend-setters, & hopefully the wealthier & wiser for it!

She considereth a field, and buyeth it; with the fruit of her hands she planteth a vineyard.

Edited by - MasterGardener on Oct 26 2007 10:37:30 AM
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2007 :  10:54:51 AM  Show Profile
Amen, sistah bean eater!!

Hey, where is Kaplan, Louisiana? My father was born in Tioga, and my maiden name is "Long"...of the Huey P. (fame or infame), however you were raised :)

Go to Top of Page

MasterGardener
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

Chandra
Louisiana
USA
572 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2007 :  11:47:06 AM  Show Profile  Send MasterGardener a Yahoo! Message
Love dem beans!!!!
Kaplan is...well if you think about Louisiana...it's often described as being shaped like a "boot". The boot has an "arch". The arch is made by Vermilion Bay. Kaplan is in the area along the arch. It's the area that got hit really hard with Hurricane Lily back a few years. It used to be all sugarcane fields and farms, now it's being developed like it's the last place on earth or something. I moved here to live in the "country"...but we're fast running out of "country"; such is the state of the world. The house I live in is 100 yrs. old; cypress (covered w/ ugly vinyl siding I didn't choose) built on pillars & has survived so much, and God-willing it'll get us through our lifetime.

I'm looking on the map and I don't see Tioga...is it N. S. E. W. ?

DH grew up in Baton Rouge; loves the story of Huey P...I think Huey was a visionery...'nuf said!

Go to Top of Page

MustangSuzie
True Blue Farmgirl

634 Posts

Sarah
New London Missouri
USA
634 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2007 :  2:46:52 PM  Show Profile  Send MustangSuzie a Yahoo! Message
You gals have given me a hankerin' for a big ol' pot of ham and beans with cornbread..yummy!!

I try to always take my bags with me to the store. You can find canvas bags for cheap at yard sales and thrift stores. There are some stores that will give you a refund for bringing your own bags. I know of one that gives you five cents for each bag.

Almost forgot my bargain of the day...I picked up an older solid maple/birch Ethan Allen dining table with 2 leaves and 6 chairs for $150. I am so excited! We have been using metal folding chairs for way too long.

Blessings....
Sarah

Edited by - MustangSuzie on Oct 26 2007 3:04:59 PM
Go to Top of Page

MasterGardener
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

Chandra
Louisiana
USA
572 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2007 :  3:00:21 PM  Show Profile  Send MasterGardener a Yahoo! Message
Yummy's right...you go girl.

Edited by - MasterGardener on Oct 26 2007 3:00:42 PM
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9394 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9394 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2007 :  02:43:10 AM  Show Profile
You girls have some wonderful ideas.
I now use my own bags when shopping, I found some canvas ones at a shop in Lancaster for 1.99 a piece. The first time I used them the checkout girl was not happy and she kept sticking stuff in the plastic bags. The problem I had was that everything fit in those bags as I was shopping but after I took the stuff out to pay I couldn't get it all back in. Hence the help from the girl at the counter, she was impatient and I believe upset that I brought my own bags. They are more than happy to have you do your own bagging there though.
I am definitely going to try making my own coffee filter with the muslin. That sounds like a great idea. Do you just keep rinsing them and then let them dry?
BTW, If I do end up bringing home any of those plastic bags, I either use then for the bathroom and bedroom trash cans or I take them back to be recycled. Does anyone have anything else they use in the trash cans besides plastic. My mom used to put paper bags in there and then tear the edges if they didn't fit and then she'd pull them over the sides a bit and smooth them down. Seemed like a lot of work to me.

"The earth is the Lord's and the fullness thereof and all that dwell therein."

www.torismimi.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2007 :  06:28:34 AM  Show Profile
Ya' know, I learned recently to cook with a ham hock (and, dang - I'm proud of it!!!), so just add one of those to your pot o' beans -- you'll be super glad you did!!!

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

Tammy Claxton
True Blue Farmgirl

1559 Posts

Tammy
Glen Burnie Maryland
USA
1559 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2007 :  09:50:42 AM  Show Profile  Send Tammy Claxton an AOL message
Makes the beans sooo good, doesn't it?? My dad won't use anything else in his beans. He's a Southern boy!

What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger!

http://countryintheburbs.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

farmgirl1
True Blue Farmgirl

116 Posts

Robin
Douglasville GA
USA
116 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2007 :  1:46:27 PM  Show Profile
I keep a dish pan in my sink that I rinse dishes, let the water run into it while waiting to heat up, etc. Then I use that to water my flowers, nothing that goes into my sink would hurt the flowers. I have not done this but have heard of people who do, is to put a pan in the shower to catch the water there to use outside as well. We've had almost no rain at all until this past week we got over 10". I also make my own cleaners with ammonia, vinegar, baking soda. And my own laundry detergent.
Robin

#1 prissy farmgirl.
Oh, I want a pink John Deer Tractor.
Go to Top of Page

MustangSuzie
True Blue Farmgirl

634 Posts

Sarah
New London Missouri
USA
634 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2007 :  2:17:42 PM  Show Profile  Send MustangSuzie a Yahoo! Message
My children are forever filling a glass full of water and only drinking half of it. I use that to water my plants with. Helps me to remember to water them (I forget everything! lol)

Blessings....
Sarah

Go to Top of Page

Canadian farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Lori
Ontario
Canada
482 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2007 :  11:49:23 AM  Show Profile
Just call me Mrs. Cheap. I buy toilet paper in big packages, then I carefully cut open one end, then use the wrapping as a big bag for garbage in the kitchen!

I only wash clothes in cold water (machine is broken, can't get anything else but cold!). I've been washing in cold for 2 years now, and it works just fine, I just use liquid laundry detergent. Also, change your lightbulbs to compact fluorescent ones. They are getting more affordable now, and use far less electricity. Do you realize your house probably has around 30 lightbulbs? Start by changing the ones that are on the most.

Use your public library, they have everything there now...DVDs, magazines, audio books, and of course, books.

Had a great feed of Maple Baked Beans last night...

Lori
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2007 :  12:09:24 PM  Show Profile
Wow, you just reminded me that I'm frugal without even knowing it...when I put the 40 lb. dog food into the bin in our kitchen, I always use the dog food bag as a garbage bag. Huh.

I bet we all do things that are frugal and don't consider them such--more like idiosyncrisies!

Go to Top of Page

ali2583
True Blue Farmgirl

404 Posts

Alison
Winnipeg Manitoba
Canada
404 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2007 :  12:44:47 PM  Show Profile
Lori...I do the same thing with the big bags from toilet paper! Hmmm, what else do I do frugally...

* I re-use my dryer sheets. Two used dryer sheets is just as good as one new one.

* I set my thermostat to go down to 60 degrees during the day when no one's home. Good for the environment, and even better for my pocket book.

* I re-use all of my old margarine tubs as tupperware. I don't think I've ever bought tupperware.

* I buy all my meat in bulk, and separate it when I get home.

* I always save the free white rice they give you whenever you order Chinese food. I throw it in

"God's gift to you is life. What you choose to do with that life is your gift to God"
Go to Top of Page

ali2583
True Blue Farmgirl

404 Posts

Alison
Winnipeg Manitoba
Canada
404 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2007 :  12:46:57 PM  Show Profile
...Oh my gosh!....not sure how I submitted my post only halfway though. Anyways, continuing on...

* I always save the free white rice they give you whenever you order Chinese food. I throw it in casseroles and soup.

* I save clear bread bags, and use them to cover things, rather than saran wrap.

* I throw my coffee grounds in the garden. It makes very nice soil.

Really, I'm done this time!

"God's gift to you is life. What you choose to do with that life is your gift to God"
Go to Top of Page

mommom
True Blue Farmgirl

854 Posts

Susan
Lancaster Pennsylvania
USA
854 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2007 :  12:54:35 PM  Show Profile
Somewhere here in Pa. a woman, who lives in a very nice neighborhood, decided to hang a clothesline up one day to dry her clothes. The neighbors held a meeting to discuss this because they all felt that hanging your clothes outside in any kind of weather meant you were poor. They even tried to get the woman kicked out of the neighborhood if she pulled this "hangin the clothes out thing" again! Our landlord recently asked my DH if I always hang out clothes and if we have a dryer. He politely told him that yes, we do have an unused dryer and that his wife has been hanging out laundry for thirty years! He told him that it's not just good for the clothes but it's good for me, too!

I am a great one for adding water to shampoo bottles and laundry soap bottles when they get half empty. Stretches it a lot further.

I have the best luck growing Philadendron plants. Therefore, I cut off about eight inches of the ends and put them in vases to get roots. Then, I have plants to put in potting soil and it didn't cost a thing!

I also don't use paper towels. I am a collector of rags and use them for everything from washing windows to washing cars. I just hate using paper and then throwing it away.

My grandson likes to break crayons. I take the wrappers off of them, melt them, and pour them into little molds so he can use them again...and he can't break these ones in half!

Susan
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Frugal Farmgirl Tips and Tricks Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page