Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Entrepreneurship
 Home Business help?!!! PLEASE
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic Home Business help?!!! PLEASE Next Topic  

ArmyWifey
True Blue Farmgirl

712 Posts

Holly
Abilene KS
712 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2007 :  12:02:08 PM  Show Profile
Ladies,

I could really use some help here - we need some extra cash and I really don't want to work outside the home. Would like to be able to fit something around our schedules, homeschooling, Army commitments, church commitments, 4-H and such that will make us a little extra money! I know that's a big thing but I know it can be done.

I LOVE to decorate, antique stores, scrapbooking, crafts, prettys, etc. I have done "professional" decorating in the past for others -- no degree or anything just have decorated for weddings, Army functions - such as farewell buffets, a military ball,etc; Christmas parties, Chapel functions - dinners, sanctuaries, etc; helped rearrange and decorate homes, etc.

So how do I turn that into a profitable business that won't take over our life?!

A friend had suggested teaching etiquette classes as well.

Thanks for your help!

As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord!

http://timsarmywifey.blogspot.com

momtoeight
Farmgirl in Training

35 Posts

Laura
Medicine Bow WY
USA
35 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2007 :  6:10:38 PM  Show Profile
Ok... backup a bit here...

If you are going to go into business, and if you are going to succeed at it, you are going to have to face facts. I'm not being critical, nor am I trying to be rude, but there is one thing you have to come to grips with:

You cannot run a business unless you give something up.

Look at your life. Where will you fit in 2-4 hours a day? If you cannot fit in that much, on a regular basis, then it isn't going to work.

I've worked with startups for about 8 years now. I've noticed that many people go into it with the idea that the business has to "fit into" their life, and they almost never succeed, because they keep putting it off, never quite get going, and don't give it the time and attention it needs.

I know that you CAN operate a business, homeschool, and still bake bread and cook from scratch. But we had to learn to do it a different way. School had to become more efficient, the kids had to do more self-study. We had to get a breadmaker and use the crock-pot more often.

So before you start thinking about "what will fit", start thinking about "where can I make it fit". Consider the things you do that you are willing to give up. Consider the things that you do that you can do in less time, if you do them in a different way. Consider how you might involve the kids as part of the educational endeavor (and realize that their enthusiasm is not going to last as long as yours).

I don't watch television. I don't read for recreation anymore, except maybe 1 book a month - I read a lot of instructional manuals. I don't surf the web for amusement, and I don't use my computer as a toy. I don't shop unless we need something pretty badly, and I don't go to lunch with friends - I do go to Women's Roundtable lunches once a month for business purposes. I no longer paint or crochet, my web design is my creative outlet. I don't have time for the usual things that women do that they consider normal. My kids don't either - they don't get taken to lessons, they don't participate in organized sports. They work alongside us though, and they get to socialize in the evenings on a regular basis.

I'm not saying everyone needs to live like I do, or that you are making choices to do things that I do not. I'm just illustrating that I gave things up, and that I had to channel those energies into our business instead. Our entire family has made sacrifices to make first my business, and then OUR business work.

The payoff is that I am home. My husband is also now home. We have something awesome that more than pays us back for the sacrifices. Sure, I gave up a lot of the "perks" of staying home, but I got to STAY home. I can't give my kids as much attention as I could if I did not work, but I'm HERE, and when they have a need, I can see that. I'm aware of their lives, and I am involved in their lives.

Come at it from another direction, then see what you want to do and what is practical within the time you are willing to clear in your life. Once you've done that, you can determine on a business plan that will grow as much as you want it to, but that you can contain and keep from overwhelming the rest of your life.

Also, consider some business structural issues:

Some kinds of businesses are dependent on production, or services, which grow only if you put more hours into it.

Some kinds of businesses can be established, and can grow long term, independent of the time of day that you operate them, and to a certain extent, the time that you put in. "Build once, sell many".

Some businesses take a LOT of space, and a high investment in materials. Others take a low investment, or very little space.

So think about more than just time right now. Think about questions like "if this grows, will I have the hours in the day to fill more orders, make more product, etc?" If you won't, then consider structuring your business so that it involves services or products that can accommodate growth without a higher number of hours involved. There are some that will do that, but they also have to suit you.

Hope I don't sound like I'm scolding you, I did not intend to. I just don't want to see you fizzle with something because you didn't realize the full commitment that it would take ahead of time.

What are you willing to give up... And what do you expect to get in return?

Laura
Mom to Eight

Firelight Web Studio - http://www.firelightwebstudio.com
Western Hills Institute for MicroBusiness Training
http://www.westernhillsinstitute.com
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2007 :  11:58:32 PM  Show Profile
Anytime you have your own business, especially from home, it can take over your life. However, I don't believe that it has to. A lot of what Laura said is true. Try to figure out all the things that you need to do, including the business, and then see where you can fit it all in. Many successful women run businesses and still have time to do things that they enjoy, spend time with their families, etc. Susan Dahlem is a perfect example. I have always admired her because, while she has a successful business, her family always comes first. And she involves her family in the business. If you keep your priorities in order it will work. My priorities are God first, family second, and career third. If those are in balance then I can succeed in all areas. But you also have to understand that when you work for yourself you will work very hard. You may have to spend time with the kids during the day and then work on the business in the evenings. Or squeeze in business whenever you can during the day. If you have little ones at home you can work on your business while they play or nap.

Decide what it is that you love to do. If you aren't passionate about what you're doing then it's not worth it. Do you want to make some type of craft to sell? Are there local stores that you could have your items in? Can you sell online? How much money do you want to make?

I will be anxious to hear what you are going to do!

http://therusticcottage.blogspot.com

Visit my Etsy Shop! http://therusticcottage.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

therealshari
True Blue Farmgirl

235 Posts

Shari
Beryl UT
USA
235 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2007 :  08:28:33 AM  Show Profile  Send therealshari a Yahoo! Message
Laura, your advice is "spot on".

ArmyWifey, I'm one of those "entrepreneurial" types who has worked with a very good friend in exactly your position.

Here's what she did.

She found a network marketing company that became her passion. For her, it was in the nutritionals niche. She spent quite a bit of time the first couple of years, but RARELY at the expense of her family. Her kids tagged along with her to the required meetings, etc.

Within the first year, she was able to add an extra $500 a month to the family income, and also take good care of her family, nutritionally.

I'm not telling you to see out that kind of company, however, I am suggesting you search around in the scrapbooking niche, or stamping... as there are companies that could fit your needs.

You will need to plan, and organize, and be prepared to make some sacrifices along the way, but it can be done.

I know I'm looking at something right now, but can't reveal it until I've completed my own due diligence.

Shari Thomas
farmer, web copywriter, blogger
Shari's Gone Country
Vote for me at "Blog for a year"
Go to Top of Page

MarinesWife
Farmgirl in Training

48 Posts

Melissa
Fredericksburg VA
USA
48 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2007 :  09:24:25 AM  Show Profile
Laura, what great advice! Thank you!!

Melissa

Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2007 :  10:52:22 AM  Show Profile
You also need to be sure to check into local laws. In Arkansas you can NOT go into business as a decorator/designer unless you are actually liscensed! This means you have to have completed an accredidated program. I imagine other states are similar. What ever you plan to do you WILL need to do A LOT of research first. Get with a small business lawyer and make sure you have all necessary certificates, insurance etc.

Going into business takes a lot of start up money and time. MOST people LOSE money in the first few years. Starting a business is not really a quick fix when you are in financial difficulties.

I would reccommed that you take a closer look at what you can eliminate from you life and spending before you add something else that is going to COST you money.

Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
BLOG
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2007 :  6:47:25 PM  Show Profile
Got the book Half Price Living - How To Live on One Income by Ellie Kaye. It has some great ideas about how to earn money from home.

http://therusticcottage.blogspot.com

Visit my Etsy Shop! http://therusticcottage.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Forrester Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

703 Posts

Ann
Belmont MI
USA
703 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2007 :  8:22:39 PM  Show Profile
Holly,
There is some great advice here. I like Kay's perspective on priorities, and Laura, great reminders on the "gives and takes" that our choices bring.

You have a great combination of interests. Are you looking to make some extra money quickly or to build a business that will last for years? I've always said that I have a "growing business" as a flower farmer, but my most important blooms are my 3 children. The best advice that I ever received for my business was when my husband encouraged me to just start "small". To start doing some of the things that I saw as being part of the big picture in the future. I also attended G.R.O.W. (Grand Rapids Opportunities for Women - www.growbusiness.org). They offered classes for starting a business. There are similar programs in many states, and if you contacted them, they might be able to point you into the right direction.

Praying for wisdom and opportunity is always a great step to take too! Being wise about what you are getting into is smart, but there is also the element of not waiting until everything is just perfect - waiting for perfect can last a life time!

Keep us posted,
Ann
http://annforrester.tohe.com

Go to Top of Page

ArmyWifey
True Blue Farmgirl

712 Posts

Holly
Abilene KS
712 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2007 :  4:03:50 PM  Show Profile
Thanks ladies.

Here's a few points from me:

1. There isn't much more we can give up at this point money wise --- I know that sounds horrid but it's true we scrimp quite a bit already!
2. I am NOT willing to give up life - the things I enjoy for a business. Such as reading for enjoyment, etc.
3. I would like to make cash quickly as well as in the future.
4. I realize that businesses often lose money intially but we can't afford to do that right now.
5. Hubby does not want me to put the kids in ps (neither do I ) to get a job -- family is more important than money.
6. As I said I love to decorate/plan parties/table type stuff but no degree.

Thanks again!

Holly

Go to Top of Page

Bluewrenn
True Blue Farmgirl

1122 Posts

Erin
Texas
USA
1122 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2007 :  10:04:45 PM  Show Profile
Having your own business, especially a new one, usually takes some money for the start up (even Avon does) and it usually involves A LOT of time. You have a lot of committments already on your plate. Are you sure that you want to do this and can give it the attention it will require?

Have you considered selling something on ebay to make quick cash? Having a yard sale? Starting a new business is not something you do when you need money fast... unfortunately most folks don't realize that and they end up worse off than when they started.

You might also go to work for someone else... My sister worked for a friend who sold Mary Kay. She helped her with orders and with inventory and with any paperwork (marketing materials etc.) that her friend needed for selling. It wasn't many hours a week but it was a little bit of cash for her.

You keep talking about doing decorations for parties but do you know of many folks that will pay for that type of service? I'd do some research first. I have some experience in the party planning business and it can be very stressful and requires a lot more time than folks think. Plus it's really hard work.

If you find something interesting on the web, DON'T PAY FOR IT. A job should not cost you money. If it does, then it's a scam.

My Homesteading Journal http://toomyvara.livejournal.com

My craft journal http://bluewrenn.livejournal.com

Go to Top of Page

Love-in-a-Mist
True Blue Farmgirl

367 Posts

Shannon
Independence Oregon
USA
367 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2007 :  6:53:34 PM  Show Profile
Holly, something I just started doing, that just kind of fell in my lap is cleaning houses. The neighbor is paying me $12.00 an hour to clean her house once a week and take care of her animals when she's out of town. I can clean whenever I can fit it in and it only takes a couple hours. I homeschool and all that too. I have also taken the kids with me. They help or watch cable T.V., we don't have T.V.,so that keeps them busy. Since I started I have found out that $12.00 is cheap, most charge $16.00. And I started cleaning for a friend in exchange for a log bed, that I have been wanting forever. Just mention it to people and the business will come to you. Also, I hate cleaning, but when it's someone elses house and your getting paid it's a whole lot easier.

http://diaryofafarmerswife.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

ArmyWifey
True Blue Farmgirl

712 Posts

Holly
Abilene KS
712 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2007 :  8:31:18 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Shannon
I actually have done this before - do it now for a b&b but it is business related and this is their very slow time - but with my fibro I get very sore easy. I've also thought of offering piano lessons.

Blessings,

Holly

Go to Top of Page

MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2007 :  9:24:10 PM  Show Profile
Well, I think you could put up a few flyers and see if you get a response. If you put up a pianao lessons flyer, and no one calls you within a month, then scratch that idea. If you want to clean, maybe some other girls on your block, or in the neighborhood could use the help during the holidays. If you are in military housing, or close to it, do they have a community center witha bulletin board??? One thing that is expensive, and sometimes has no result is advertising. Keep it cheap until you don't mind spending the $20 to run an ad in the paper. Maybe your paper. ANother good thing about posting flyers is that you can "pick" your future clientelle! Depending on your local laws, you might be able to put flyers on doors...
My husband and I own our own business, and although we don't have kids yet, there is seldom extra time for the things we want to do.
That is why it is 12:15 am and I'm just now done typing up estimates, and balancing the checkbook on a sunday night, amongst other things, and getting on Farmgirl connection is a treat ;)

Do what you can, with what you have, right where you are. - Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2007 :  07:28:08 AM  Show Profile
Holly, you don't mention how much income you are looking for. If you just want to make a little extra cash here and there without putting much time into it, you might want to simply look around the house and sell some things you aren't using anymore on ebay or craigslist.

For the future, if you are the kind of person who likes to pick up and/or make neat things, you might look into renting space in a craft and antique coop. I don't know how common these things are in your area, but around here we have several "antique malls" where you can rent a display case for around $50/month. You don't have to be there to retail the wares, they do that for you. At some places, they ask that you commit to working the sales floor on a rotating basis (like one day per month.) You could put your design talents into arranging eye-catching displays.

I'm not sure how much of a profit you would see on such a project, but I can tell you one person's experience. My aunt lives in NYC and rents a display case at a coop in her rural hometown. When she goes home to visit, she brings her latest finds to restock the case. It pays for itself and makes enough on top of that to be worth the trouble to her.
Go to Top of Page

walrissa
Farmgirl in Training

30 Posts

Larissa
Anchorage AK
30 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2007 :  3:16:42 PM  Show Profile
Also remember that for most businesses to really take off and be successful you need to reinvest for several years.

McKinley Kid - baby gear for the last frontier
http://www.mckinleykidz.com
Go to Top of Page

Love-in-a-Mist
True Blue Farmgirl

367 Posts

Shannon
Independence Oregon
USA
367 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2007 :  7:00:15 PM  Show Profile
I am doing what Amie C. is talking about. I pay $30 a month and made about $65 in Sept. and $20 in Oct. I have been selling stuff I already had, but then had to buy more at goodwill to keep my booth full. Although it was fun, I basically broke even. This is my last month, I made a deal with my DH and quitting was one of my "conditions".
I also have made decent money selling stuff on craigslist. You should really try that, if you have anything. I sold all my chickens that way too. But now I have more!

http://diaryofafarmerswife.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic Home Business help?!!! PLEASE Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page