Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic A Primer: Bees, Hornets & Wasps Next Topic  

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2005 :  08:45:43 AM  Show Profile
This is a very informative article about their differences and their advantages and when you should be concerned. Hope it helps someone!
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/nwgardens/235094_smith04.html

**** Love is the great work - though every heart is first an apprentice. - Hafiz
Set a high value on spontaneous kindness. - Samuel Johnson****

quiltedess
True Blue Farmgirl

296 Posts

Nancy
Priest River ID
USA
296 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2005 :  09:41:21 AM  Show Profile
Clare:
Thanks for the link. I read it and now I know that I have had an infestation of paper wasps in my little greenhouse. They were everywhere this year. I did use the spray to get rid of them. Only got one sting.
Nancy
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2005 :  12:04:19 PM  Show Profile
We had a nest of agressive wasps in the ground near where I do a lot of gardening. I was stung several times before I was able to determine where exactly they were coming from. When we located the nest we were told that with this type of wasp or hornet Not sure, that we could take a clear glass bowl about 9 inches in diameter and at night after they were all in bed for the night we could place this bowl upside down over the opening of their nest and place a brick or rock on top of it. The clear bowl lets light enter and so the bees think they still have a door. But they come out into the bowl and can get no further. They will not dig another entrance from the inside out so die over a period of about a month. After a month you can remove the bowl and there will be no more of these pests in the nest. We did this and it worked like a charm. These were not the nicer variety of sand wasp! One of them had got into my blouse and stung me repeatedly until I could get my blouse off! I felt like I had been hit in the breast with a sledge hammer for weeks!
Don't like poisons because of the chickens and other bug eating animals I have.
Eileen

songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

Nicol
True Blue Farmgirl

200 Posts

Nicol

200 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2005 :  12:38:12 PM  Show Profile
Clare, thank you for the link. That was an interesting article!
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic A Primer: Bees, Hornets & Wasps Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page