Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Lemon tree topiary Next Topic  

Farmer Macleigh
Farmgirl in Training

39 Posts

Tennessee
USA
39 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2005 :  4:28:12 PM  Show Profile
Has anyone ever tried to grow a lemon tree indoors? Any tips on getting started other than just starting the seed like my other garden varieties?

I've considered getting a topiary pot and growing a tree in my kitchen. Our winters are too harsh to keep a tree thriving outdoors year-round. And yes, a lemon slice with honey in my chamomile tea in the winter months is just what I'm thinking of!

Hope sustains the farmer. -- Old Proverb

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2005 :  8:07:30 PM  Show Profile
there is a gal at the health food store 20 miles north of here with a Kumquat tree in her front window...an east facing bay window of the shop (which is really an old house) and it seems to thrive. I gave away a big potted meyer lemon tree when I moved here...I don't regret finding her a good home, but sure miss those lemons! I have thought about maybe trying one here sometime. My only window would be south facing though...but worth a try. We couldn't have one outdoors here either.

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things!
Go to Top of Page

CelticCoyote
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

Heather
Illinois
USA
111 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2005 :  05:23:21 AM  Show Profile
Ohhh, how I would love to have one of these!! I have a thing for lemons (my kitchen colors are cobalt blue, lemon yellow, and white), and I would be sooo thrilled if I could have a lemon tree inside! I have no idea if I could ever get it enough light or sun, though...northern Illinois winters are harsh, too. Maybe someday!
Go to Top of Page

Nicol
True Blue Farmgirl

200 Posts

Nicol

200 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2005 :  12:39:40 PM  Show Profile
I had a lemon tree inside. I had a grow light that I used during the winter. During the summer it seemed to get enough light. I really enjoyed it!
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Lemon tree topiary Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page