Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic ants in my garden Next Topic  

Whimsy_girl
True Blue Farmgirl

576 Posts

USA
576 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2005 :  11:34:36 PM  Show Profile
I found an ants nest ( not really a hill yet) in my garden fight by the base of one of my watermelons. What is the best way to get rid of them, without hurting the plants? Once the plant starts to bear fruit I would think they would destroy it because it's so sweet. So far I have tried plant-safe insecticidal soap but that wont work and I didn't want to go a whole lot harsher than that.

you can be oh so smart, or you can be oh so positive. I wasted a lot of time being smart I prefer being positive. James Stewart in the movie HARVEY

KarenP
True Blue Farmgirl

666 Posts

Karen
Chippewa Falls Wisconsin
USA
666 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2005 :  03:05:02 AM  Show Profile
I have heard vinegar, but have not tried it.
I have poured boiling water on the hill or colony that sure seams to cut them back. but be careful of your plants and you.
KarenP

"Purest Spring Water in the World"
Go to Top of Page

thehouseminder
True Blue Farmgirl

361 Posts

USA
361 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2005 :  05:57:56 AM  Show Profile
Years ago, in Texas, I had a problem with Fire Ants trying to set up housekeeping in my yard. An old timer told me the absolute best way to kill them was by pouring boiling water on and into the ant hill. He said that it wouldn't kill all of the ants right away but it would kill all the eggs or larvae and it would kill their queen. The colony cannot survive without the queen.

He was right. It worked like a charm. I poured a kettle full of boiling water on each hill the first day. Then I went back to them the second day. In the case of two of the hills, some worker ants had returned and attempted to rebuild the hill so I gave them a second dose just to be sure. By day three, they were all gone. Everyonce in a while, I would see the beginnings of a new colony trying to move in. I just gave them the hot water treatment right away and never had any problems.

Hope this helps!
Lucinda

Who loves a garden still his Eden keeps, Perennial pleasures plants, and wholesome harvest reaps. ---Bronson Alcott

Go to Top of Page

glades girl
Farmgirl at Heart

9 Posts

lynn
Fernandina fl.
9 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2005 :  07:56:52 AM  Show Profile
Hello from glades girl. Heres one you might try an old timer told me about ants. The best thing i have tryed is organic. Gritz most farm girls have some kind. The best is instant, pour a hand full or two around the mound and just alittle on top so you dont disturb them to bad. I use it on my brick patio they seem to love it there. It always wiorks for me it takes a couple of days. The theory is they eat the grits and take them into the mound to feed the rest of the crowd, as soon as they drink water (which i supply close by) the wter causes them to explode. its to big for thier stomach. sounds kinda bad but better them than me. Lots a luck Lynn
Go to Top of Page

Nicol
True Blue Farmgirl

200 Posts

Nicol

200 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2005 :  08:04:51 AM  Show Profile
I am going to try these ideas. I too have a lot of ants in my garden. Thanks for the remedies!
Go to Top of Page

Whimsy_girl
True Blue Farmgirl

576 Posts

USA
576 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2005 :  1:52:22 PM  Show Profile
Hey alright!! I love the grits idea because they are located right in the middle of one of my watermelon plants and it's doing so well I would hate to risk boiling it. Thanks!

you can be oh so smart, or you can be oh so positive. I wasted a lot of time being smart I prefer being positive. James Stewart in the movie HARVEY
Go to Top of Page

glades girl
Farmgirl at Heart

9 Posts

lynn
Fernandina fl.
9 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2005 :  06:11:25 AM  Show Profile
Hey from glades girl. Let me know if the gritz work for you. Hate to hurt those watermelons, cant keep turning them with ants in the way. I just encountered an ant bed under one of my plant blankets and they decided i would be there lunch. Suprizingly i didnt have any vinegar for the stinging so i used witch hazel and it took the burn out pretty fast. Just found this new remendy. Lynn
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2005 :  2:12:39 PM  Show Profile
Here's an informative article on dealing with ants:
http://www.spokesmanreview.com/home/outdoor/story.asp?ID=83168

**** Love is the great work - though every heart is first an apprentice. - Hafiz
Set a high value on spontaneous kindness. - Samuel Johnson****
Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2005 :  9:46:50 PM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
The rural mail lady told me she uses lemon juice as the ants try and colonize alot of her mail boxes...that wouldn't hurt your plants I don't think.
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic ants in my garden Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page