Canadian farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Lori
Ontario
Canada
482 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2007 :  12:38:30 PM  Show Profile
I feel so bad! I took my cat to the vet this morning for her annual checkup, and they discovered she had ear mites! I have had cats for 10 years, and have never dealt with this before. I really hadn't noticed anything, either. The odd time she would scratch at her head, but not a lot, and she's been getting regular monthly Advantage applications for flea prevention since March, so I thought nothing of it (assuming she couldn't have fleas). So, poor thing had to have her ears flushed, and I have to put drops in her ears (which have to be refrigerated, she's going to looove that!).

They said she probably picked it up from another cat. We don't have any other pets, and she does go outside. The vet said all she would have to do was walk through an area where an infected cat had scratched, and she could pick them up on her feet.

Has anyone else out there dealt with this? I feel so guilty--I always thought of ear mites being associated with neglected strays, not our spoiled baby!

UrbanChick
True Blue Farmgirl

331 Posts

Ayako
Atlanta GA
USA
331 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2007 :  3:08:58 PM  Show Profile
Ear mites are common. We see them in dogs, cats, ferrets all the time at the vet clinic I work at. I wouldn't feel too bad. Your vet caught it and it is treatable. That's why annual exam can be so valuable to the comfort of our pets.

"Courage dosen't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying: I will try again tomorrow."
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2007 :  3:45:28 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I agree with Ayako- They are pretty common. We had a dog that had them and it is relatively easy to treat. Unfortunatly things like Advantage don't protect against ear mites. I wish they did though!

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page

Canadian farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Lori
Ontario
Canada
482 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2007 :  4:27:58 PM  Show Profile
The vet switched her over to a product called Revolution now, instead of Advantage. Apparently it has some protection against mites, too.

It's reassuring to hear that others have dealt successfully with this problem. Thanks for the replies.

Lori
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2007 :  03:33:34 AM  Show Profile
HEY! I just finished reading an e-mail from home. It has one of those lists for uses of every day items.

Dawn kills fleas so you can do a "flea dip" w/ this. We use it in the animal profession all the time because it's gentle on animal skin.

Use Wesson oil for ear mites. It suffocates the mites and aids in healing.

There is a huge list. but this above one is most pertinant.

I'll have to try this on my pets next time their ears get itchy.

And no, my cats and dog are our family, so no neglect...just animals being who they are from every day living.
Go to Top of Page

EnchantedWoodsGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

959 Posts

Kathy
New Jersey
USA
959 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2007 :  11:47:05 PM  Show Profile
Just keep the ears clean - you can use a little mullein oil on a cotton ball to clean out the ears. Mites are very common. If you are using an medicine such as Tresaderm that is kept in the fridge, warm it up by keeping it in your pocket for about 15 minutes. Cats do not like anything cold in their ears.
Good luck!

Kathy of the Enchanted Wood
http://enchantedwoodmusings.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Cat has ear mites Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page