Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 I'm heartsick... and stumped! UPDATE
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic I'm heartsick... and stumped! UPDATE Next Topic  

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2007 :  11:20:20 AM  Show Profile
Hi ladies - I just got home from Arizona last night very late. As some of you know, we have the two rescue kitties that we've been caring for. Knowing that I was only going to be gone for a week or so, I hired the boy across the street to come over and feed my kitties while I was gone. I went out and bought a self-feeder, one that you fill from the top and an extra bag of cat food. I had him come over and I showed him how to fill the feeder and where I kept the food (in a cabinet, undercover, outside the garage. There was also another bag, about half full, so there was a total of about 10 lbs of food when I left. I got home and only charlie met me at the car - very odd since Ashley is ususally the social one. I went out to the feeder and it was sitting there, the top upside down, cover missing, empty. I looked in the cabinet, and there was NO food in there. The kid is not home from school yet, so I can't ask him what happened, but Ashley has not shown up yet either. We have a pet door into the garage that they are used to using to go into the garage to sleep. She's not in there either. What do you think happened to my kitty, their food, and the feeder? I am trying to give the kid the benefit of the doubt - he's old enough for the responsbility - about 7th grade or so, I paid him half his money and I was supposed to pay him the other $10 when I got home. I don't really know him because we moved here recently, but I talked to his dad before I asked him if he wanted to do it, so the parents knew he had the job. I'll talk to him this afternoon, but I'm just curious as to what you would make of this situation.

Edited by - mikesgirl on Oct 18 2007 4:45:30 PM

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2007 :  11:52:10 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Oh no Sherri! Could a dog or something have gotten in? I hope your kitty comes out of hiding soon!

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2007 :  11:54:58 AM  Show Profile
I don't know - we have a five foot fence all around the backyard and it goes all the way to the ground with cement under it, so I don't think a dog could have gotten in - but I was wondering if maybe a racoon did - they can climb over tall fences and that feeder is really thrashed.
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2007 :  12:09:27 PM  Show Profile
It sounds like raccoon work to me. I feed the cats in the barn and if the door is open a sliver they are in and tearing up the place. Look around for other evidence. MB

www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2007 :  2:40:25 PM  Show Profile
Oh Sherri,
It does sound like a racoon, hope you find Ashley soon.
Glad you are home safe and hoping Ashley will come out soon.
Carol Sue

listening to the quiet moments
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2007 :  4:45:08 PM  Show Profile
The boy across the street got home and I went over to talk to him. He said the kittens DID eat over 10 pounds of catfood in a week and a half, and his parents sent some of their food over to supplement. He also said he didn't know where Ashley was - so I don't really know anymore than I did. I DO know, however, that that is some POWERFUL eating for two little kittens!
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2007 :  4:52:49 PM  Show Profile
Guess what - the doorbell just rang and it was Cole from across the street. He said, "I know where your other kitty is" and then didn't say anything else. I said, where is it and he said "In my neighbor's house." (This neighbor has a kid the same age as Cole). I asked him to go get it and he did. Weird huh, how it just showed up in the neighbor's house. They'd better fix that hole in the wall!!
Go to Top of Page

PlumCreekMama
True Blue Farmgirl

730 Posts

Heather
Iowa
USA
730 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2007 :  4:57:05 PM  Show Profile
I am so glad you Ashley back and both cats are okay. 10 pounds in a week and a half! What kind of cats are they? Lions, maybe? I hope next time you have to go away, you can find a responsible adult to take care of them. Kids, these days!
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2007 :  5:22:22 PM  Show Profile
Yeah, I'd really like to know what he was doing with all that cat food!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2007 :  5:46:36 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
What a mystery! I am so glad it all worked out!

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page

AmyEllen
True Blue Farmgirl

235 Posts

Amy
McPherson Kansas
USA
235 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2007 :  7:11:19 PM  Show Profile
Idea about the missing cat food. We have had squirrels and birds as well as possums and racoons steal dog food from our dogs outdoor feeders.So perhaps with the yard looking quiet you were feeding some extra furry mouths. So that the boy just thought the cats were eating it......
Just a thought.
Amy

http://lifenkansas.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2007 :  7:52:28 PM  Show Profile
hmm...unless he took cat food over to the "nice neighbor that wanted a new kitty"..ha.
glad it had a good ending...and yes..I'd hire someone I could absolutely trust with no questions asked.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
visit me at:
http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and at www.stliving.net
you can also check out my etsy shops at:http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2007 :  10:29:08 PM  Show Profile
What an adventure all right, I am so glad that Ashley is back with you.
That is a tall tale about the kitty if I have ever heard one!!!!!
Carol Sue

listening to the quiet moments
Go to Top of Page

junkjunkie
True Blue Farmgirl

1306 Posts

Judy
Lawrenceville NJ
USA
1306 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2007 :  06:04:08 AM  Show Profile
I'm glad the kitty is safe and sound, that's most important.

"To have life in focus, we must have death in our field of vision." Benedictine monk John Main
Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2007 :  12:32:40 PM  Show Profile
Sherri,
SO happy to hear you found both your kitties! We keep three cats outdoors to help with mice & voles. They sure earn their keep, plus are just so darn much fun! I suggest having both altered so that you don't end up with unwanted babies, and also this seems to keep ours closer to home. We have a "kitty igloo", heated, where they sleep when the weather is cold.

We have had many critters dip into the food over the years, mostly skunks and racoons. We also feed a very sneaky stray-for over two years we have tried to catch him! I'll bet there was some kind of intruder partaking of the cat's food while you were away. That's probably why the neighbor boy thought the cats were eating so much! I feed up on a high table with thin iron legs. The cats can jump up, but other critters can't climb it. You might also try feeding only during the day as most of these pesky animals search for food at night. The spilled open feeder sounds like a critter. If the kittens get scared they may hide for days (maybe took refuge at the neighbor's house?).

Maybe Cole did try to do his job...he just didn't have enough experience.

Rhonda

I'm a one girl revolution.
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic I'm heartsick... and stumped! UPDATE Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page