corporatefarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

389 Posts

Tamara
Pikeville TN
USA
389 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2007 :  10:08:22 AM  Show Profile
This past weekend my oldest son and my 6 year old grandson visted us on the farm. We have a rule of no video games and VERY LITTLE tv when our grandkids come up. My DH and I feel like they need to wind down and enjoy things like boardgames, hiking, reading, playing outside ect. At first this was an issue with them now they don't even ask.

So this weekend we made tin can laterns with jack o latern faces punched out with nails, homemade cutout sugar spice cookies, hiked to the waterfalls near our home, roasted hotdogs and marshmellows over the firepit, and played board games.

On Saturday evening my DH and I were on our back porch looking out at the stars. My son and grandson were down at the firepit enjoying a nice fire. We heard Tyler ( my grandson) say to his uncle that Nana and Papas is the greatest place in the world because he gets to play outside all the time, make stuff and have campfires. My husband and I laughed because I do believe this child has every electonic game know to mankind and probably over 100 videos! Here he is already yearning for the simple life!!!!

there is a seed to plant in every heart

celebrate2727
True Blue Farmgirl

989 Posts

Beth
MJF Farmgirl
989 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2007 :  10:28:57 AM  Show Profile  Send celebrate2727 a Yahoo! Message
Tamara that sounds wonderful. What a great time shared with your family. Love IT!!!!!!

blessings
beth

I Can
beth@maryjanesfarm.org

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2007 :  3:11:49 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
That is great!! I love the fact that once kids realize they don't HAVE to be plugged into something- they really crave the outdoors!

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page

shawna
True Blue Farmgirl

241 Posts

missouri (north)
241 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2007 :  7:58:07 PM  Show Profile
Wow, I love what you are doing for the next generation. I don't know what your grandson's parents are up to, but I know that I feel busy all the time. I yern for someone trusted, like a grandparent or aunt to show that kind of world to my kids. It's like doing the parent and the child a favor. Really I know that as a parent it is my job to put that in their life. I think that it is great that you don't feel bothered by the children to the point you send em off to a t.v. I would give you 5 stars for showing your children and grandchildren another way of living! *****

xoxo s.r.
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2007 :  10:32:30 PM  Show Profile
what sweet memories you are making with your grands! xo

True Friends, Frannie

FREEDOM VALLEY FARM
KENTUCKY

http://freedomvalleyfarm.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2007 :  04:53:07 AM  Show Profile
Tamara - you are giving memories that will last forever! Thank you for sharing that story. It reminded me of my favorite movie - On Golden Pond. You guys are like Katherine Hepburn and Henry Fonda.... :)

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

corporatefarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

389 Posts

Tamara
Pikeville TN
USA
389 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2007 :  8:20:33 PM  Show Profile
I hope we are together as least as long as Hepburn & Fonda were in the movie. I met my husband when I was 16 and we married when I was 17. We have now been married 29 1/2 years!

there is a seed to plant in every heart
Go to Top of Page

BlueRoseMama
True Blue Farmgirl

51 Posts

Val

51 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2007 :  8:57:14 PM  Show Profile
You are giving them a taste of something they can create for themselves later. I think it's beautiful. They will love it as long as they live.

Val

Val ~ I am a whole food cooking, swing pushing, boo-boo kissing, paper crafting, breastfeeding, creative sewing, attachment parenting, woodworking, guitar playing, gardening, constantly reading, artistic and lovely full time, granola lovin' mama to my three sweetlings, Alex (7/20/96), Cyan (7/13/01), and baby Logan (1/22/07).

http://goddesshobbies.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic A weekend at the farm Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page