Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic What scares you? Next Topic
Page: of 2

Whimsy_girl
True Blue Farmgirl

576 Posts

USA
576 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2005 :  10:06:30 PM  Show Profile
I was talking to my mom the other day and just had to laugh because she is deathly afraid of sharks. The reason I find this funny is that we live in Spokane... it's not like one is going to just sproing up out of our aquifer and bite her through the tap or something.. My husband hates flying, heights, and tornados.. so he was pretty freaked when our roof blew off a month or so ago... and then as far as weird phobias go, I'm only afraid of spiders, but I get scared if not hourly than at least daily out here, because they are EVERYWHERE!!!! I almost walked through a web the other day and nearly pee'd my pants...(((no one better think it's funny to send me mail art with plastic spiders in it now!!!)))

What totally freaks you out?

you can be oh so smart, or you can be oh so positive. I wasted a lot of time being smart I prefer being positive. James Stewart in the movie HARVEY

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2005 :  10:08:19 PM  Show Profile
SNAKES!!! Luckily we arn't in a snakey area. My husband is so afraid of spiders!! He has to deal with his fear more than I do..seems like we have spiders everywhere here too! As long as it isn't snakes!!!

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things!
Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2005 :  10:43:40 PM  Show Profile
I'm with you, Jenny! Snakes are probably my biggest fear. Good snake=dead snake is my personal philosophy. Kind of difficult when you live with Mr Nature! Spiders don't get to me as much any more, except for these wolf spiders we get. They are agressive and will charge at you! A few years ago I was sweeping spider webs off the eaves of our house and swept a hatching of Daddy Longlegs. Thousands (ok, maybe hundreds) of baby spiders came charging down the broom handle...now that was a bit creepy!
Sharon
Go to Top of Page

bubblesnz
True Blue Farmgirl

291 Posts

helen

New Zealand
291 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2005 :  11:34:14 PM  Show Profile
For me its spiders, and lifts. A lift broke down when I was in it, aged 5. Never forget one old lady screaming and crying. In the end we all had to be hoisted out.

A great oak, is just a little nut which held it's ground.
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2005 :  06:42:56 AM  Show Profile
I'm ok with spiders as long as they aren't the kind with the red belly... speaking of snakes... our office building is built next to an orchard, and yesterday there was a 2 ft long bull snake sunning himself on the back step. I've worked there for 6 years and this was a first. Kinda freaked out a couple girls that came upon it, but my curiousity got me and I had to go have a look. One of the guys took a stick and flung it back into the orchard. We had rattle snakes that came up into the yard during the hot dry summer when I lived on the farm, so I guess I've adjusted. You can only get so paniced by certain things.
I'm more afraid by some things crazy people are doing lately.

**** Love is the great work - though every heart is first an apprentice. - Hafiz
Set a high value on spontaneous kindness. - Samuel Johnson****
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2005 :  08:42:34 AM  Show Profile
I spent several years with a Shaman so had to get over my fear of creapy crawlies pretty fast but I am scared by aggressive drivers passing in no passing no visibility zones when I am in the way. I am scared of things like chlorine in my drinking water and I have had nightmares that the government authorities will one day tell me I cannot live the way I live but must live in an apartment building with little tiny rooms and no view of the sky.
Eileen

songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

BlueEggBabe
True Blue Farmgirl

417 Posts

Susan
PA
417 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2005 :  08:56:58 AM  Show Profile
So glad to hear there are others terrified of spiders.
I react RIDICUOUSLY to spiders when I come across one in the house or the garden.
Its a big joke around here with my family, but it's literally a "yelp and run" sort of thing. I have tried, unsuccessfully, to control myself but it is a knee-jerk reaction I have to big, fast spiders.
I can't even get close enough to kill one in my house. Gotta get somebody else to do it while I direct from the other room!
Surprisingly Daddy long legs don't bother me at all.
I have even, I believe, trained my son (who is now 16) to be scared of spiders too because of my reactions over the years!Hate that part.
I do have a memory of finding a VERY large spider,close to me in my closet where I was playing as a kid, and he had a very aggressive demeanor. It could be what started this whole thing.
I have no fear at all of setting and emptying mouse/rat traps, and snakes don't bug me too much, if they don't surprise me, but spiders.....
EEEWWWW!!! I turn into one big goosebump!

Sue

"If more of us valued good food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
J.J.R.Tolkien
Go to Top of Page

BlueEggBabe
True Blue Farmgirl

417 Posts

Susan
PA
417 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2005 :  09:03:13 AM  Show Profile
"I have had nightmares that the government authorities will one day tell me I cannot live the way I live but must live in an apartment building with little tiny rooms and no view of the sky...."

Eileen,
THAT is a scary, scary nightmare, but possibly as very real as any of these other posts.....
It gives me goosebumps, too.

Sue

"If more of us valued good food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
J.J.R.Tolkien
Go to Top of Page

ladybugsmom6
True Blue Farmgirl

128 Posts

Tami
Horicon WI
USA
128 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2005 :  09:18:25 AM  Show Profile  Click to see ladybugsmom6's MSN Messenger address
I fear not being a good enough Mom, but compared to my neighborhood, I ought to relax. But even funnier is my best friends fear of worms, just little ole red worms send her into a tizzy! My 5 years old daughter has learned to recognize that certain scream and is always the first on the scene, not to rescue my friend, but that worm. She adds them to her collection of "pets" in the basement!

-Tami
livin' right and loven' life!
Go to Top of Page

thehouseminder
True Blue Farmgirl

361 Posts

USA
361 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2005 :  09:32:19 AM  Show Profile
I am afraid that when I get old, others will try to make decisions for me and run my life. I'm very independent. Please understand that I'm not afraid of getting old. Just the potential for vulnerability. I don't have kids and my entire estate goes to charity so that will help some.

Gosh, I sound paranoid, don't I? I guess I'm just a little sensitive right now. My grandmother is 94 and has been in excellent health until the last few months. Wouldn't you know it, her middle daughter, who no one has ever heard from for 35 years, and she has certainly not been around to drive grandma places and spend time with her, is really concerned because she thinks she should get the house. Whatever.

Okay, sorry. I'm not in the habit of spouting off but I LOVE older people. They have soooo much to offer. I can't stand to see them taken advantage of and I really hate it when others are just counting the days 'til they pass away.

Who loves a garden still his Eden keeps, Perennial pleasures plants, and wholesome harvest reaps. ---Bronson Alcott

Go to Top of Page

MBurns
True Blue Farmgirl

1836 Posts

Marlene
Swisher IA
USA
1836 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2005 :  09:48:12 AM  Show Profile
large crowds and traffic jams scare me. I am very shy so meeting people
can be scary.
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2005 :  10:15:47 AM  Show Profile
Narrow minded, prejudiced people with power, hatred , intolerance, anger, rage, random acts of violence and the not so random act of violence; WAR.

In the weird phobia department I have only one: dead animals, birds, etc... They just weird me out!

Whimsy girl- Maybe your Mom remembers SNL's "Land Shark" is afraid one will come to visit some day!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2005 :  3:04:56 PM  Show Profile
Dying alone when I am old, as I have not children and no nieces or nephews.

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
Go to Top of Page

thehouseminder
True Blue Farmgirl

361 Posts

USA
361 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2005 :  3:42:02 PM  Show Profile
Hey Kim, I know that's scary but you never know who could come into your life.

For the longest time I just could not accept that I couldn't have kids. I have inherited the Type II Diabetes gene from my maternal grandfather. While I only recently developed the blood sugar issues, I have had PCOD (polycystic ovarian disorder) which is caused by the same gene, my whole adult life. It makes it nearly impossible to conceive. I just could not understand and wondered where God was in all of this. After all, homeless women and drug addicts get pregnant. Why not me?

When I finally let go (drastic means are not for me) an amazing thing happened. One of my former coworkers asked if I would be willing to spend time with his eight year old daughter. Her mother died when she was an infant. He was working long hours to make sure they were able to keep their house and to provide for her. He also really felt she needed a woman in her life.

You know what, I needed her as much as she needed me. It has been so wonderful so mentor her for the last year. I help her with her homework, we bake cookies, I have taught her to knit and to sew, she wants to learn how to embroider. Sometimes we just go for walks. Last fall we collected leaves,nuts, and rubbings of tree bark and then brought them back to my house. We got out the tree book and identified them and made a little tree scrapbook she can keep and refer to. She just fills a hole I had in my life. I doubt I would have had time for her if I had kids of my own and I can't help but feel that maybe God was saving me for her and vice versa.

My point is, if you are open to possibilities, someone who needs you might just crop up. Stick close to your friends too. We all need one another.

Lots of Love, Lucinda

Who loves a garden still his Eden keeps, Perennial pleasures plants, and wholesome harvest reaps. ---Bronson Alcott

Go to Top of Page

little feather
True Blue Farmgirl

83 Posts

Tawnya
Walnut Creek California
USA
83 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2005 :  4:03:23 PM  Show Profile  Send little feather a Yahoo! Message
Oh Lucinda- your post made me cry! Happy tears- how beautiful!

Although, I have two boys of my own, and a step son- the connection of having a girl is so needed!
My niece, now 20 month, is filling that hole you mention, for me. I pick her up every Tuesday after work, and after I pick up my boys.
I just love the time we have now together and look forward to watching her grow and teaching and sharing with her all the wonderful things we hold so dear in this sisterhood!

Thank you for sharing your wonderful story!

My phobia- is people. Crowds or parties where I don't know the majority of people- and even then...... my nerves are shot.

I like who I am- so have told me that's my problem. I believe it's more of a fear of the unkown.
Which is why I am loving these chats. It's safe, but it's also opening me up to getting to know people and all the amazing treasures you can find in the hearts of others!

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost
Go to Top of Page

BuckBellHill
Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

Fern
Belfast Tennessee
USA
32 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2005 :  8:13:46 PM  Show Profile
Kim: I'm so glad you had the courage to mention your fear of dying alone. I thought I was a bit alone in that one...I don't mind living alone, but thinking of the "end" alone is a bit overwhelming. I'm not married and don't have children either. I had this strange experience when I was living in South Africa that really led to buying my farm. I ruptured a disc in my neck and had to have major surgery there. I felt so alone in that hospital bed in a foreign country and just imagined dying there alone. To counter that, I'm really working on building a close community of friends and it does help to know that great friends will not let me die alone, but it is taking real commitment to choosing lovely people to surround myself with, and the result is that I'm not as afraid of it anymore. Of course a great partner may come alone, but i'm working on creating a safe environment in which to grow old. Thanks for mentioning the topic!

Fern at Buck Bell Hill
Go to Top of Page

ThymeForEweFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

705 Posts

Robin
An organic farm in the forest in Maine
USA
705 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2005 :  04:14:30 AM  Show Profile
Extreme heights. I didn't used to be able to go to the top of a 6' ladder. I'm working on it. Eventually I'd like to skydive.

I've been tackling my fears for about five years. My biggest one is spiders. Especially those huge barn spiders. And wharf spiders. "Spiders are our friends. Spiders are our friends. Spiders are our friends." Fine - but I don't want my friends living with me. I don't scream anymore and I don't kill the little ones. Spiders eat bad bugs. They aren't poisonous here. I'm working on this. I'm beginning to be ok with them. But! The big, creepy, million legged, beady eyed, fat bodied, disgusting ones are vacuum cleaner bait while I shiver and squirm. Ugh! <squirming>

Robin
Thyme For Ewe Farm
www.thymeforewe.com
Go to Top of Page

Whimsy_girl
True Blue Farmgirl

576 Posts

USA
576 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2005 :  1:32:15 PM  Show Profile
I'm working on it too but you just gave me goosebumps!

you can be oh so smart, or you can be oh so positive. I wasted a lot of time being smart I prefer being positive. James Stewart in the movie HARVEY
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2005 :  2:09:55 PM  Show Profile
Thanks girls for making me feel better! Lucinda, My best bud has PCOS and 3 years ago she got pregnant right and delivered Danica right after her 40th birthday!

I hope to find a Intentional Community someday where I can spend the rest of my time if nothing magical comes my way!

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
Go to Top of Page

Luzy
True Blue Farmgirl

922 Posts

Luanne
Pueblo Colorado
USA
922 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2005 :  2:44:13 PM  Show Profile
I can't believe I'm writing this but my biggest fear is dying at the age my Mom died...57. I just turned 50 this year. I don't know why I feel this way, she died 21 years ago. Lu
Go to Top of Page

thehouseminder
True Blue Farmgirl

361 Posts

USA
361 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2005 :  3:21:50 PM  Show Profile
Hello again Kim!

Just remember some people are your family because you are born to them (or they to you) and others are your family because you choose them or they choose you. What a nice kind of family to have!

Luzy, 29 is awfully young to lose your mom. I'm sure you miss her very much and perhaps that is part of your fear. Here are some things to consider: 1) chances are, from the day you were born, you have received better health and wellness care than she did, and you probably still will in the future. 2) you have the information available to you today, which may not have been available when she was young, to better take good care of yourself.

Every woman on this forum is a daughter. Some of us are sisters and/or mothers. I enjoy having you all as family.

Live life well and deeply!
Lucinda

Go to Top of Page

ThymeForEweFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

705 Posts

Robin
An organic farm in the forest in Maine
USA
705 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2005 :  3:52:40 PM  Show Profile
Luzy, I worry too. My mom died of colon cancer at 56. I am 41. I think about it enough to need to clear my mind. I had pre-op this afternoon. My first colonoscopy is August 12, 8:30 a.m. Mum didn't know until it was too late. I'm not taking that chance.

Robin
Thyme For Ewe Farm
www.thymeforewe.com
Go to Top of Page

hapyhrt
True Blue Farmgirl

129 Posts

USA
129 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2005 :  04:23:11 AM  Show Profile
My biggest fear is loss of control which accounts for the panic disorder that I live with everyday. Also, social phobia and on a lighter note I'm afraid of bats, snakes and rodents, ewww!!!

"Think HAPPY Thoughts...any others aren't worth your time!" Ü
Go to Top of Page

Luzy
True Blue Farmgirl

922 Posts

Luanne
Pueblo Colorado
USA
922 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2005 :  08:07:51 AM  Show Profile
Hi Lucinda, Thank you for your kind thoughts and good points. You're right, I'm trying to be pro active in my health care as well as being my own advocate. Sometimes Doctors just don't listen!! I appreciate you're response.
And Robin, I'm so sorry you too lost your mother. She too was so young. Have you ever read the book 'Motherless Daughters"? It's an anthologhy of stories like ours and it really helped me to no I wasn't alone. I just wonder how many other farmgirls have experienced this profound loss in their lives? Luzy
Go to Top of Page

quiltedess
True Blue Farmgirl

296 Posts

Nancy
Priest River ID
USA
296 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2005 :  08:39:34 AM  Show Profile
I'm afraid of deep, especially dark, water. There are "things" in there! I don't even like to LOOK into the water. I'm afraid for my kids, they have mental illness (bi-polar and schizophrenia), they were adopted, life is really hard for them. Most of all, I'm afraid of hurting someone or something, either because of my stupidity, inattention or even accident. Sometimes the thought of that makes me afraid to walk out the door so I don't dwell on it. OK, now I'm off to start my day and . . . to get my mind off of things I'm afraid of. :-)
Nancy
Go to Top of Page

Traveler_and_Poet
Farmgirl at Heart

8 Posts

8 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2005 :  12:51:38 PM  Show Profile
1.) Wasps and bees (bees not so much, they are sort of cute, but wasps just LOOK evil)
2.) Deep water at night (even a public pool creeps me out at night!)
3.) Identity Theft and cyberstalking (there are so many scary stories these days!)

Traveler_and_Poet's Blog
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic What scares you? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page