Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Wabi Sabi Next Topic  

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - May 06 2005 :  3:24:32 PM  Show Profile
Wow! girls!... I think this term describes something us farmgirls have perfected to a tee! Here's an excerpt from an article about it....

"....searching for the essence of wabi sabi for many years. Used together, these two Japanese words define an aesthetic that resonates with Zen Buddhism. Wabi originally meant poor, but in the 16th century the word changed to reflect the Japanese spiritual ideal of cultivating peace against a backdrop of war. Sabi means old, worn, and reworked, something lost and found.

Wabi sabi begins as a love of something old or broken. It can be seen in the patina produced over time on the surface of metal sculpture; or in the dark burnished tone of the wooden arm of an old rocking chair. The wabi sabi experience is not contrived or artificial: it arises from the natural qualities of the materials at hand. It is based on the perception that, with age, things acquire beauty and elegance, much as some people age wondrously into their own wisdom. Wabi sabi requires an artist’s eye that allows the natural beauty of objects to shine through.

Tempo is another essential component to its understanding. As Richard Powell suggests in his book, Wabi Sabi Simple (Adams Media, 2005): “Do not be in a rush to see everything there is to see. Let it unfold naturally. Eventually what you see will change what you are. And then you will be seeing straight from your heart.”

In its highest expression, wabi sabi fosters humility, observation and appreciation — all of which arise when we slow the pace of our lives. With this attitude, we learn to see beyond the hard edges of rational thought and find clarity." .....

****Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural****

"Begin to weave and God will give the thread." - German Proverb

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - May 07 2005 :  4:53:14 PM  Show Profile
Hi Clare, I really enjoyed the article on wabi sabi. I have always loved all things old. I dont know where it came from, I have six sisters and five brothers, not one of them like anything old. It was interesting to read.

"she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands" prov. 31:13
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - May 07 2005 :  7:25:32 PM  Show Profile
Clare - Your post above was a wonderful gift to me. I totally understand the concept and would love the home around my family to live into that authenticity of beauty your article speaks of. So many joys in life come through waiting and taking care.

I read your post after having a little piece of my heart broken a few minutes ago. I got out my box of childhood dolls because I was going to choose one for my granddaughter to play with. I did do that.

However, the doll that holds the most memories for me was in pieces! She was one of the first dolls made to look like an adult instead of a baby. She was a ballerina doll and has jointed legs and ankles and toes that pointed. Her hair was red and movable eyes. When I opened the box, her legs and body had disintegrated into a cracked and dangerous looking powdery mess. When I retrieved her from my mother's house a few years ago, she was a little old looking but still intact. Tonight I had to throw her away. I said to myself, if that is the biggest problem you have had today, you are fortunate. But my heart aches a little to see her, after surviving forty-five years, now ruined. Perhaps it was the plastic I put her in but should not have!

Anyway, I want to have Wabi Sabi in my life for my family. And for me. (So far, I just have wobbly shabby!) Thank you for this article.

jpbluesky

O, cease to heed the glamour that blinds your foolish eyes,
Look upward to the glitter of stars in God's clear skies.

from God's Garden by Robert Frost
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - May 08 2005 :  4:01:42 PM  Show Profile
Glad you could relate, girls. Sorry to hear of the loss of your fav doll, Jeannie. I guess archiving everything that's precious to us in archival quality linen/cloth and bags is really important for all types of products.

On my way to visit my mother yesterday, I always drive by an antique mall in a small town. Yesterday I noticed a sign that said "sale", but I was on a timeline, so didn't stop. They are not usually open on Sundays so I was surprised on my return today to see a "closeout" sign in the window, and just had to stop. I normally do not even venture into antiques stores because my budget just doesn't fit with their prices. I usually pic up my finds at yard or estate sales. But today was too good to pass up. 50% off at many booths, which made it semi-affordable for me! So, I have made a new home for 3 of the cutest potholders. They look like birds! Stuffed head and neck, the wings open up to easily lift a pot lid without having excess potholder. They are patchworked on the top and finished off with bias tape, the tail being the hook for hanging, and button eyes and material topnots! Too cute and well loved in their previous lives. In addition, 3 little serving size metal jello molds that match ones from my mother's collection which I now have. I also got two 1940's dress patterns. One New Yorker and one Advance, both in larger sizes for those times... so if I get creative and want to reproduce something, increasing the sizing to match today's standards won't be so difficult.
So, I have added to my "Wabi Sabi" collection again today. Wish I could make homes for so many more things that I enjoy; but alas, have to be practical, too.

****Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural****

Edited by - Clare on May 08 2005 4:23:43 PM
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - May 09 2005 :  1:04:16 PM  Show Profile
Went to the health food store on my lunch break to pick up a full-spectrum lightbulb for my desk lamp. They always give free "magazines" at check out (in truth there are lots of ads in this, but good articles too). Anyway... I must be supposed to really pay attention to this Wabi Sabi thing, because right there was a nice article about it... different from the other one, and more wisdom to partake of... so I'm sharing the link, too:
http://www.deliciouslivingmag.com/magazine/index.cfm?fuseaction=article&issueID=71&articleID=1628

Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - May 09 2005 :  2:00:52 PM  Show Profile
Clare - As I read your post above, I thought "Does Wabi Sabi pertain to relationships too?" Then I went to the site you mentioned above, and saw the title "Embracing the Imperfect" and I saw the answer!

Perhaps you did that very thing on Mother's Day!

jpbluesky

Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - May 09 2005 :  2:08:20 PM  Show Profile
What about wabi sabi and objects in nature...This forum must be affecting me in very positive and subtle ways because I am seeing things around me in a different light...On my way to town a neighbor has a horse pasture and this amazing knarled olive tree jumped out at me as a thing of beauty I had not noticed in the 20 plus years I have lived here. It is very tall and stands alone in a corner and seems to have arms with hundreds if not thousands of smaller branches twitsted and bent in all directions sprouting out of it. It was bent and twisted and almost leafless but so beautiful in its imperfection. I stopped the car and said to my daughter look at that tree Alex, what do you see? She said it looked like an old giant with it's "hair" standing on end. Is this Wabi Sabi of a sort?

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century.
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - May 09 2005 :  3:12:18 PM  Show Profile
Clare,
I have a pot holder like what you described and if I remember correctly they were originally used for tea kettle handles.

Wabi Sabi me!!!

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow

Edited by - Kim on May 09 2005 7:52:23 PM
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - May 09 2005 :  3:15:27 PM  Show Profile
Thank you Kim, for educating me!! They must be pretty versitle then, because they work good on pots too. Used one just last night when I made soup, and it was perfect! These were the first ones I've ever seen, guess I haven't hung around enough tea drinkers... the kind that really steep a pot 'o tea. I'm more the teabag in the mug drinker, myself!

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - May 09 2005 :  5:21:52 PM  Show Profile
My mom used to make some just like that for gifts from a really old pattern..hmmm I wonder if she still has that pattern. It was a loooonnnnngggg time ago. My mom is NOT known for being especially crafty so it was especially special to me. I wish I had one of the ones she made!

Jenny in Utah

Bloom where you are planted!
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - May 10 2005 :  04:58:47 AM  Show Profile
Meadowlark - Loved your post about the old tree. Seems that would definitely classify as Wabi Sabi. By the way, Clare, is it pronounced like wobby sobby?

jpbluesky

Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - May 10 2005 :  06:28:02 AM  Show Profile
Yes, Meadowlark, in my very limited knowledge of Wabi Sabi, I think you are right about the tree being a work of art!
Jeannie, I think the pronunciation is with short a's and i's... but now that I think about it, I don't think I've heard it pronounced before!

Go to Top of Page

The Handmaiden
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

Kim
Shreveport Louisiana
USA
214 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2005 :  2:27:21 PM  Show Profile
well, thanks again clare! more food for thought!..loving it all!

"Faith shall finish all that Hope begins."

joan walsh anglund
Go to Top of Page

CityCat
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Catherine
Toronto Ontario
Canada
198 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2005 :  10:36:55 PM  Show Profile
The "Wa" part sounds like wasp. The "Bi" part is like bee. The "Sa" part sounds like sardine. It's hard to find an English word that has the right S sound. I'm sorta Japanese and I've never heard this term before. Guess you learn stuff all the time.

Cat
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Wabi Sabi Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page