Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 Maybe We Will Buy a farm??!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Maybe We Will Buy a farm??!! Next Topic  

Past Blessings
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Brenda
Orchard Prairie WA
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2007 :  06:28:54 AM  Show Profile
As many of you may remember, I have posted quite a bit being frustrated that my hubbie didn't share my same desire to live in the country. We have gone round and round about it. I had pretty much given up . . . in fact our house is for sale because dear hubby had found a home in suburbia he loved and wanted to buy.

Anyway, there was this sweet 1927 craftsman farmhouse in an outlying community. I thought it was so cute, but didn't think he would ever go for it. But I brought it up a few days ago and he willingly said, "Let's go look." I about fell off my chair!

Anyway, we drove by and he was instantly impressed. It is close to a highway, so still provides him easy access to work. The next day HE suggested we drive by again. This time he pulled in the driveway for a better look at the outbuildings. As we were sitting in the driveway, the owner pulled in. She graciously offered to let us look inside. It has some issues inside, but overall is so cute and the setting is wonderful . . . nestled in rolling wheatfields on 10 acres. The issues are incredibly steep stairs to the upstairs and you have to duck when you go to the basement. I am 5' 3" and I had to duck! LOL! But it has gorgeous craftsman details and built-ins, hardwood throughout and is storybook cute. I can do my antique sales in one of the outbuildings, rather than renting a garage like I do now and the kids can raise our livestock on our own property rather than borrowing property. It is in a different school district than we have them in now, but only about 10 minutes to the bus stop. Right now we drive them 30 minutes each way to school, since we are out of district, so this saves a lot of time.

So, steep steps and all, would you buy it? At least the bedroom we would have is on the main floor, so when we are old and falling apart we can avoid steps. By the way, the price is good too. Just need some honest opinions.

Hugs & blessings,

Brenda

Past Blessings . . . Celebrating Life as it used to be . . . when people loved God, loved their families and loved their country.

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2007 :  07:13:17 AM  Show Profile
I'm inclined to say I would buy it. I know how frustrating the house search has been for you. It sounds like a great place and if your husband is interested, that's a tremendous sign in the house's favor. I don't know about the stair issue. How much of an inconvenience/danger would the steep stairs be? Did the current owners have problems? Could they be renovated at some point, or is it structurally impossible? From what you've posted before about your house hunt, this house sounds like a serious contender at the least.

My basement stairs have the same kind of nonexistent head clearance (1913 house). I'm about your height and I bang my head if I'm not careful. Male visitors and repairmen get it the worst. I've thought about ways to pad the beam, or putting up a sign to remind us to duck! But you get used to it. We haven't had any trouble moving things in and out.

Gosh, I'm starting to get excited for you. The 10 acres, the convenient location, the outbuildings! Let us know what happens...

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2007 :  09:32:34 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Brenda-

I would buy it too! If it has everything you need on the main floor- kitchen, bath, bedroom, living space- I would say go for it! If your husband is onboard about the property then maybe it is the universe telling you that it is time for you to have property? I know how it is when the husband doesn't share your dream. Isn't it exciting when they start helping to achieve your dream?!

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
http://home.test-afl.tulix.com/aleeandnora/
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2007 :  7:15:40 PM  Show Profile
Yes.

That said, only you and your family can really decide if this will suit you. Get a good inspector. If you are okay with what turns up, go for it! Sounds like you are convinced anyway and just looking for the courage to go for it?

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2007 :  7:48:28 PM  Show Profile
Brenda, YES.....and as Michele said an inspector, to have the everything that you need in one place is a huge big deal, to be able to not have to rent a garage and sale from your house gives you more freed up time. And as we know, time is precious. I love that sound of it, steep stairs and all.
Let us know and how cool that your dh is interested, girl that is like haveing a banana split with the cherry on top!!!!

Enjoying life.
Go to Top of Page

paradiseplantation
True Blue Farmgirl

1277 Posts

julie
social springs community Louisiana
USA
1277 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2007 :  07:11:29 AM  Show Profile
Brenda, this one might come in a little late, but, definitely, I would buy it. Just remember, the house on our place was actually two sharecropper houses that had been joined together. there is always work on an old house, but it is one of the most satisfying things to me. Keep us posted and let us know if you do buy it!

from the hearts of paradise...
Go to Top of Page

Past Blessings
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Brenda
Orchard Prairie WA
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2007 :  10:47:04 PM  Show Profile
Well, after lots of back and forth discussion, my hubby and I have decided that if and when our house sells (it is for sale, but the market is totally dead right now)we will buy this, if it is still available. We financially have to sell ours first. So we will see what happens. I am praying this will all work out and I might have my little farm and a place for Past Blessings. I'll keep you posted!

Hugs & blessings,

Brenda

Past Blessings . . . Celebrating Life as it used to be . . . when people loved God, loved their families and loved their country.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2007 :  10:55:19 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Brenda I hope it works out for you!

How is the stuff going with the insurance company?

*hugs*

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2007 :  12:52:16 AM  Show Profile
Brenda, thanks for posting, I was wondering how it was going for you? thanks for the update and will continue praying for you.
Hey, how are you feeling girlfriend?
Carol Sue

listening to the quiet moments
Go to Top of Page

Past Blessings
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Brenda
Orchard Prairie WA
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2007 :  06:47:49 AM  Show Profile
Hi Alee and Carol Sue,
Thanks for asking . . . the insurance claim work has been slllooooowwww! We are at almost 2 monthes now. I am told cabinets will be put in this Thursday (tear down is Wed. for what is left of my old ones, so I need to box everything up). Assuming that this actually happens (things have been cancelled before!) our flooring is scheduled to go in a week from today (next Monday) and so hopefully we would get our furniture back the next day. Keep your fingers crossed that it all gets done this time. We discovered we were too "nice" and have become squeeky wheels lately, so things are finally progressing.

As to my health, I am doing better, but still get fevers each day. I am accepting that sinus issues is just a part of me. I will not do another surgery. My uncle has had countless surgeries for his sinus's and each time they get worse. Now, at 70, he is having one that will remove all of his upper sinus's, they will fill it with fatty tissue from . . . get this . . . his butt (yes, we have all told him he will be a butt face! LOL!), and then . . . this is the scary part . . . they have to actually move his brain forward or else the cerebrial spinal fluid will leak out through the sinus cavity and he will die. Does that sound creepy or what. His surgeries started out simple like mine and now he is to this point. I'd rather take something for my fever each day and just deal with it as best I can naturally. I do sinus rinses twice a day too. So overall I am doing well, but just accepting the cards I have been dealt.

I am really excited about this farm. Just praying it will work out, given that our house is not sold and the market is totally dead . . . not even any looky-loos. Oh well. I have to remember, it only takes one.

Thanks for your kind thoughts and well wishes.

Hugs & blessings,

Brenda

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2007 :  5:14:10 PM  Show Profile
Hey Brenda,
I will cross my eyes, cross my heart, cross my legs & I will even wear my 'cross my heart bra' in hopes that you get your dream cottage.
As for the stairs,,,,I swore up & down that after we parted from our 2 story town home 15 years ago, I would never ever own a home w/stairs ever again,,,, well duh! guess what, yepadoodle, we have stairs, 14 of 'em to be exact! uugghh!!!!! Our T.V. room & my craft room are down stairs,,,so needles to say, I'm seriously considering putting in a mini microwave & fridge so I won't have to make umpteen million runs up & down the stairs! Although I guess the exercise is good for us! NOT!!!!
Keep us posted....do ya have pic's of the vintage craftsman house?????
f.g.hugz

>^..^< Happiness is being a katmom.
www.katmom4.blogspot.com

Edited by - katmom on Oct 11 2007 5:15:18 PM
Go to Top of Page

palmettogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

571 Posts

sue
camden south carolina
USA
571 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2007 :  07:17:12 AM  Show Profile
dear brenda: i'm new here, but the story about your potential new house really hit home. if you're thinking about it this much, you must really want it and feel connected to it. i say go for it so that you don't have any regrets down the road. maybe try pricing your home a little less and have the sale of your home based upon if you can get the craftsman farmhouse for a little less, too. at least you'll feel like you gave it your all to fulfill your dream! i would LOVE an old house! we have a relatively new house that looks old, but it just isn't the same. i moved up here from florida last year. (talk about a dead real estate market, my house is still for sale down there!---own dock & boatlift in backyard: any Farm/FISH Girls out there?!?) i will tell you to really keep in mind how much property you want, too. my home in fla. was on 1/3 of an acre and this one is on almost 7 acres. i love it!! (i wish i had more!!) anyway, good luck to you!
Go to Top of Page

shawna
True Blue Farmgirl

241 Posts

missouri (north)
241 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2007 :  09:44:23 AM  Show Profile
Brenda, I'm just getting to your post on the house. I hope this happens for you. Just try to stay hopeful on a buyer for your house and if things don't work out just know that God can see a bigger picture than us, but I DOhope that God sees your picture as purrrfect for you and yours! We have five acres and it's juat not enough. We can still hear our neighbors and they us. (so I still can't lay out naked, but husband and kids CAN peepee out side! ha!) problem is that the dogs come down to our house and get into our trash, so i'm not sure about animals for us, like chickens. oh well, we have lived here for about two years and i hope we move in about3 years at the most. we want to move back home and work the empty family farm. so i understand being calm and waiting for the stars so to speak to get in line!!!good luck

xoxo s.r.
Go to Top of Page

Past Blessings
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Brenda
Orchard Prairie WA
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2007 :  6:48:23 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for all the support. I will post a separate thread with a link to the house. Just don't any of you go buying it out from under me!! LOL!

Hugs and Blessings,

Brenda

Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Maybe We Will Buy a farm??!! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page